Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
O-line prediction
(03-02-2022, 03:20 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Carmen is so much better at LG.

A stud Center is vital in my opinion.

A free agent RT is a must.

But Hopkins wasnt that good at guard... We can get Conner Williams at 6m - younger and better.  Norwell wants to come back maybe he takes a cut?  Karras is less than 5M.  I see no reason to keep Hopkins.

Thanks for the reply.

Just trying to keep things a little less chaotic, and I think they like Hopkins, which is why I believe he stays in some capacity IF they can get his number down.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2022, 02:17 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Absolutely correct 1000 times which is why I said resign Reiff. You need 3 good tackles and 3 good guards and 2 good centers. But conversely KC Chiefs give you a great big shout out to you with Smith and Humphrey lol

We have drafted ONE decent starter in the last decade and he (Jonah) is just above average. KC is obviously much better at this than us.  There is no reason we missed on Trey Smith with him being just a few hours away. UT has a handful of NFL players each year - I wonder our connection?

I dont think Reiff is even playing in 2022?  I'd be ok with a rookie guard beating Carmen out, but no rookies at RT, not where we are picking.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2022, 03:11 PM)Stewy Wrote: How about this.

Sign one of the top 3 FA centers.
Sign on of the top 3 FA RT's.
Move Hopkins to RG, and extend him two year at 4.5 per to get his number down.

So with only two major signings you have anchored the ends and middle of your OLine, you have a veteran who knows the scheme and is coming off a major injury the previous year (Hopkins), who the team still likes and has faith in to bridge between the new C and T.

Carman moves to LG.  Left is his natural side, and now he has excellent veterans on either side of him to help him mature into the position.

So in the end you have this:

Williams
Carman
Top C
Hopkins
Top T

You only pay big for two upgrades, but arguably upgrade 4 (if Carman pans out, which I think he will at LG).

Thoughts?

Love everything but keeping Hopkins at RG. I haven't seen him play well at Guard. He HAS played well at Center though.

I either keep him at Center or cut him. Great point about Carman at LG, he looks much more natural there. D'Ante Smith 
also looked great at LG in the Preseason last year when he was healthy. I would do something like this instead of keeping 
Hop I would cut him and go like this to be somewhat like your scenario Stewy...

LT - Jonah Williams
LG - Jackson Carman/D'Ante Smith/Early Draft pick
C - Bozeman
RG - Austin Corbett/Laken Tomlinson
RT - Morgan Moses/Trent Brown
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2022, 01:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: There was a good reason they only signed him for 1 year.

I don't think bring him back with his age and injury history.

The "good reason" was simply because he's 33 years. Nobody is signing just a "nice" player to multiple years at that age.
He was a big upgrade from the previous season and the financial commitment to the Bengals was fine. They could gamble and continue to
try and go year-to-year with him based on that age or take a better player should they see fit and where the team stood a year later.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2022, 03:22 PM)Stewy Wrote: Thanks for the reply.

Just trying to keep things a little less chaotic, and I think they like Hopkins, which is why I believe he stays in some capacity IF they can get his number down.

Good tackles are too expensive in FA and mid priced ones and their grades about like Reiff. Reiff had an ankle injury. It wasn’t broken but likely a lingering high ankle sprain that he reinjured. Again the Bengals goal is 3 good tackle 3 good guards 2 good centers. They will add a top FA center, a mid priced FA guard and draft an OT at #31. They will resign Reiff and Spain.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2022, 03:11 PM)Stewy Wrote: How about this.

Sign one of the top 3 FA centers.
Sign on of the top 3 FA RT's.
Move Hopkins to RG, and extend him two year at 4.5 per to get his number down.

So with only two major signings you have anchored the ends and middle of your OLine, you have a veteran who knows the scheme and is coming off a major injury the previous year (Hopkins), who the team still likes and has faith in to bridge between the new C and T.

Carman moves to LG.  Left is his natural side, and now he has excellent veterans on either side of him to help him mature into the position.

So in the end you have this:

Williams
Carman
Top C
Hopkins
Top T

You only pay big for two upgrades, but arguably upgrade 4 (if Carman pans out, which I think he will at LG).

Thoughts?

That would be awesome. I'd be up for upgrading Hopkins too but he might be ok next to solid tackle and center options. 

I would add, though, that we still need a couple draft picks on the line to develope for down the road and depth.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2022, 03:41 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Good tackles are too expensive in FA and mid priced ones and their grades about like Reiff. Reiff had an ankle injury. It wasn’t broken but likely a lingering high ankle sprain that he reinjured. Again the Bengals goal is 3 good tackle 3 good guards 2 good centers. They will add a top FA center, a mid priced FA guard and draft an OT at #31. They will resign Reiff and Spain.

Raimann then at RT behind Reiff? I guess I could live with that, Raimann has a high ceiling and he could develop behind Reiff
like he needs to. Bozeman, Corbett along with this and we would be upgraded big time as long as Reiff's ankle isn't degenerative.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2022, 03:41 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Good tackles are too expensive in FA and mid priced ones and their grades about like Reiff. Reiff had an ankle injury. It wasn’t broken but likely a lingering high ankle sprain that he reinjured. Again the Bengals goal is 3 good tackle 3 good guards 2 good centers. They will add a top FA center, a mid priced FA guard and draft an OT at #31. They will resign Reiff and Spain.

You state this as if you actually know. So can we assume the rumor that Reiff is retiring is untrue?
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2022, 04:16 PM)casear2727 Wrote: You state this as if you actually know. So can we assume the rumor that Reiff is retiring is untrue?

This is the first I have heard of that rumor Casear. Maybe Reiff really does have a degenerative ankle if true.

I think any of Armstead, Morgan Moses or Trent Brown would be an upgrade anyways.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2022, 05:09 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: This is the first I have heard of that rumor Casear. Maybe Reiff really does have a degenerative ankle if true.

I think any of Armstead, Morgan Moses or Trent Brown would be an upgrade anyways.

I have read rumors of a chronic ankle condition/injury for reiff as well. I don’t know if he is retiring, considering retiring or anything else, such as signing on as a backup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2022, 02:19 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: They need to create a log jam in the OL group and ratchet up the competition.

But we have 4 other starters plus 2 DTs that played half of the snaps to replace.

We can't use all our draft picks and free agent money for a bunch of O-linemen who won't even start.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2022, 03:24 PM)casear2727 Wrote:  There is no reason we missed on Trey Smith with him being just a few hours away.

Since 30 other teams also "missed" on Trey how can you argue that there is no reason we did.

The guy is a beast, but he has had serious health issues.
Reply/Quote
Reading some of these responses gets me nervous for next year and reminds me of how deep a hole Bengals are at significantly improving the OL.

Passing on Creed Humphrey and Trey Smith hurts even more.

My concern is that the FO has tried to fix the OL for years via draft and I think the talent available in FA will be costly.

My guess with some trepidation is:

LT Williams
LG Laken Tomlinson
C Jensen
RG Zion Johnson/Carman
RT D' Ante Smith/Max Mitchell/Prince

Hopkins is released.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(03-02-2022, 12:54 PM)phil413 Wrote: "give _____ a shot" is why we are in the mess we are in.  I understand the compromise of not being able to bring in 4 great OL and at least one spot will be a competition spot (even started a tread on it).

Reality is Carman and Smith will get a shot at a starting spot.  There are great opportunities in FA to fix the interior with the depth, youth and projected cost of the FA crop.  If you hit it big I'm fine with the weak link being the competition of Carman, Smith and a OT by mid round.  

To Fred's point, my money would be on Moses if he doesn't ask for too much guaranteed in the 3rd year (with our youth needing deals by then). There are a lot if defects in the FA class due to age and durability. 8M would be about what Moses should get, but in this group he may get 10M.  Give me a guy like Daniels for the same cost, fix the inside and I'm cool with the competition spot at RT.

I heard we drafted him to play RT eventually. He played LT so he can play RT. I'm not saying start him just see what he's got at that spot. Don't see the harm in that. One of these young guys is going to start most likely and he's still a talented guy with potential
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2022, 12:41 PM)CloeHokie Wrote: Why not give Carman a shot at RT? He played OT and has the size for it

Carman is in the 5% percentile in OT arm length, measuring in at 32.5"
Only Braden Smith, I believe, is a starting OT with under 33" arm length.

While there's obviously a chance that Carman could succeed at OT in the NFL, his lack of length really could hinder his ability to stick outside.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-02-2022, 01:52 PM)schroomytunes Wrote: Ok here is mine:

LT- Williams
LG- Jackson Carmen
C-  Bradley Bozeman- (Ravens) FA
RG- Mark Glowinski-(Colts) FA
RT- Nick Petit-Frere (Ohio ST)

backups- Prince, Hill, Smith, Draft pick C/G type , Johnson

I'd prefer we avoid Ohio state o linemen like the plague. Hasn't worked out for the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2022, 06:10 PM)CloeHokie Wrote: I heard we drafted him to play RT eventually. He played LT so he can play RT. I'm not saying start him just see what he's got at that spot. Don't see the harm in that. One of these young guys is going to start most likely and he's still a talented guy with potential

No harm in him competing, like you said we drafted him to play RT eventually so I wan him to be that guy. Its Duke's job to get 5 guys that are capable blockers and if Jackson beats the RG or RT out great.
Reply/Quote
I think they Re-sign Spain.I’m okay with bringing Hopkins back,so there’s that.2 down,3 to go.Now they dial in on a top 5 LT free agent,and move Jonah Williams to RT.Now aquire top 5 free agent RG.Problem Solved.

And please don’t waste any draft picks on O-linemen.We have plenty of young prospects the way it is,but I wouldn’t bank on any of them.So far they have shown to be back-up material at best.That’s why I’d go after a sure thing top 5 free agent at LT and RG,rather than gamble on these clowns,although hopefully they can be used for depth pieces.

It’s time the Bengals get down to business with this OL and protect their franchise Quarterback.I know what I’m asking for here is a pretty tall task,but it can be done.
Reply/Quote
I absolutely do not want Spain back under any cirmcumstance. When he had to face good D lines in the playoffs he was horrible and let the team down. Bengals last play of the Super Bowl and Burrow needs just a little time to make that throw on 4th down. Spain whiffed again like he had done all of the playoffs. Game Over. Is this they type of player we want to rely on next season on the O-line? Get rid of him and his post season 46.1 PFF. Its crazy to think Spain is predicted to make near 5 million per year on his next contract when the Bengals could sign Conner Williams for just a little more at 6.7 million per year.

At Center Hopkins is going to make 7.1 million with a cap hit of about 6 million. There is no reason to keep Hopkins when you could get Bozeman and Jones for similar money and Karras for less.

Both Spain and Hopkins should be replaced as it wouldnt cost the team much more to upgrade those spots vs keeping Spain and Hopkins.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2022, 06:18 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Carman is in the 5% percentile in OT arm length, measuring in at 32.5"
Only Braden Smith, I believe, is a starting OT with under 33" arm length.

While there's obviously a chance that Carman could succeed at OT in the NFL, his lack of length really could hinder his ability to stick outside.

I think Carman has the potential to do very well at RG.  He looked pretty good when given a chance.  I dont know however if we can count on him given his back problems.  I mean he had back surgery before the draft last year, we still picked him and then he still had troubles with his back this year.  When you miss the Super Bowl because you have a bad back that you have already had surgery on, that's not a good sign.
Reply/Quote