Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
OTAs
(05-30-2024, 11:11 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Over Half of the starting right tackles in the nfl are below $5 AAV.  You don’t pay backup “swing tackles” $5m AAV.  Trent brown is our starting RT who can move to Left if orlando gets hurt and then Mims takes over at right. Trent has the ability to play both sides, which is tremendous flexibility.  

I’m not sure where the confusion is but at $4,7500,000 the bengals are paying Trent brown  like a guaranteed starter (pending health). This is relative to the rest of the league.

If all it took was 4.7 million to buy a guaranteed starter at RT then we would have been bought one. We wouldn't need 10 years to find one. Everyone just said if he wasn't injured he'd be paid much more so those are the people in this thread you need to direct your disagreement with since you believe if he didn't have the injury history we would have still gotten him for under 5million. Or any RT which we'd guarantee to start because they signed for 5 million with 2 million guaranteed...... 2m guaranteed should not guarantee a start at LB let alone RT.

Just because there are starters at RT making under 5m doesn't mean they are any good, or have guaranteed starting spots. Maybe that is just the best that team has. They are probably just like I said they were strong swing tackles, veterans signed until a rookie gets up to speed. Or set to be replaced the following year on a 1 year deal. Say what you want but Franchise RT's aren't found for under 5 million. There's a reason teams are hurting for Oline help. That 5m RT must not be giving them what they need even if starting or else we wouldn't consistently see 4-6 tackles drafted every year in the 1st round. Hell why waste a 1st round pick on one when you can sign one that is guaranteed to start for under 5m....

The point is that doesn't make them any good which wasn't my point about Brown but is your point about all the other RT's you claim had guaranteed spots that get paid under 5m.

Everyone knows you can nitpick stats. My questions are how many of those were signed to start, how many started due to injury, what is the PFF grade of those players, and how many of those teams drafted replacements due to ineffectiveness?

The only reason Brown is guaranteed to start is because we took Mims, who it would be ideal to get brought along slowly. If we take Fuaga or Latham I'd be curious if his spot was as guaranteed as folks say now.

If Mims can play and proves he can this offseason and preseason, he should play. Hopefully the team doesn't sit him for the sake of sitting him because Brown is getting paid 2 million guaranteed. That..... Actually sounds like something folks would have slammed MB for. Playing the vet who gets paid more over a rookie who is the future and needs the reps (Bates, although Hill didn't really show he could play in his first preseason that I can remember)....
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2024, 05:53 PM)jj22 Wrote: If all it took was 4.7 million to buy a guaranteed starter at RT then we would have been bought one. We wouldn't need 10 years to find one. Everyone just said if he wasn't injured he'd be paid much more so those are the people in this thread you need to direct your disagreement with since you believe if he didn't have the injury history we would have still gotten him for under 5million. Or any RT which we'd guarantee to start because they signed for 5 million with 2 million guaranteed...... 2m guaranteed should not guarantee a start at LB let alone RT.

Just because there are starters at RT making under 5m doesn't mean they are any good, or have guaranteed starting spots. Maybe that is just the best that team has. They are probably just like I said they were strong swing tackles, veterans signed until a rookie gets up to speed. Or set to be replaced the following year on a 1 year deal. Say what you want but Franchise RT's aren't found for under 5 million. There's a reason teams are hurting for Oline help. That 5m RT must not be giving them what they need even if starting or else we wouldn't consistently see 4-6 tackles drafted every year in the 1st round. Hell why waste a 1st round pick on one when you can sign one that is guaranteed to start for under 5m....

The point is that doesn't make them any good which wasn't my point about Brown but is your point about all the other RT's you claim had guaranteed spots that get paid under 5m.

Everyone knows you can nitpick stats. My questions are how many of those were signed to start, how many started due to injury, what is the PFF grade of those players, and how many of those teams drafted replacements due to ineffectiveness?

The only reason Brown is guaranteed to start is because we took Mims, who it would be ideal to get brought along slowly. If we take Fuaga or Latham I'd be curious if his spot was as guaranteed as folks say now.

If Mims can play and proves he can this offseason and preseason, he should play. Hopefully the team doesn't sit him for the sake of sitting him because Brown is getting paid 2 million guaranteed. That..... Actually sounds like something folks would have slammed MB for. Playing the vet who gets paid more over a rookie who is the future and needs the reps (Bates, although Hill didn't really show he could play in his first preseason that I can remember)....

We are going in circles. Mims is the future, brown is 2024 (pending injury). Brown, when healthy, could be our best OL, by a lot.
Reply/Quote
Hey a veteran WR did show up to work with the young guys:

[Image: txmklkzg74d5kljch7vj.jpg]

[Image: ylzpi3dtqnmx0lr7cvyh.jpg]
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Video of Chase working out is amazing.
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2024, 12:18 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Hey a veteran WR did show up to work with the young guys:

[Image: txmklkzg74d5kljch7vj.jpg]

[Image: ylzpi3dtqnmx0lr7cvyh.jpg]

How do you stop 85?
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2024, 10:40 AM)Whatever Wrote: How do you stop 85?

With Newton, apparently...
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2024, 10:40 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Video of Chase working out is amazing.

Can you share? Or was his sarcasm?
Reply/Quote
Has anyone noticed how the rookie TEs are doing? Is All moving well? Has McLauclin been able to build any momentum?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2024, 12:29 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Has anyone noticed how the rookie TEs are doing? Is All moving well? Has McLauclin been able to build any momentum?

Both are rehabbing last time I heard anything about them!
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2024, 10:45 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Can you share?  Or was his sarcasm?

Quick Hits: Chad Greets Bengals Rookies And Finds The Ocho Generation; Peerless Peerman Returns

Quote:So when Johnson barged into the cornerbacks huddle Thursday asking who wanted to take some releases, Newton jumped up.

"Ocho being Ocho," Newton said. "He already called me out. He couldn't be looking for me again."

Finally, Newton got to shake his hand, after trash-talking introductions. Like everyone else, Johnson came away impressed with Newton as they pressed together on an imaginary line, the rookie trying to outfox the Bengals' all-time leading receiver.

It will be recalled that's the space where Johnson made his six Pro Bowls, a feathery middleweight disappearing at scrimmage before appearing in the secondary and now in the Bengals Ring of Honor.

Apparently, Newton was able to do what so many couldn't and was able to get his hands on Johnson with hand thrusts they call "stabs," disrupting his route.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Good stuff with Chad and Fig Newton. Smirk
Reply/Quote
BTW, I read an article the other day and Lap was one of the writers saying we might cut Trent Brown, don't know why as he
is a damn good player when healthy and he is cheap for what he brings to the table but take that for what it is worth.

Makes no sense to me unless he is still hurt and Mims just looks fantastic.
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2024, 01:51 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: BTW, I read an article the other day and Lap was one of the writers saying we might cut Trent Brown, don't know why as he
is a damn good player when healthy and he is cheap for what he brings to the table but take that for what it is worth.

I'd keep him for the depth.
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2024, 02:11 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I'd keep him for the depth.

Same, like I said, made no sense to me. Trent Brown could be our best OL when healthy and you don't cut that.
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2024, 02:33 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Same, like I said, made no sense to me. Trent Brown could be our best OL when healthy and you don't cut that.

We're not good enough to be cutting Trent Brown regardless of how Mims or anyone else looks. I'm good on ever seeing Cody Ford on the field.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2024, 01:51 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: BTW, I read an article the other day and Lap was one of the writers saying we might cut Trent Brown, don't know why as he

He won't be cut, although folks also have to keep in mind that Brown's motivation also comes and goes.  He's definitely possible trade bait, especially if Mims wins the starting job.
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2024, 10:40 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Video of Chase working out is amazing.

what video?
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2024, 12:29 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Has anyone noticed how the rookie TEs are doing? Is All moving well? Has McLauclin been able to build any momentum?

All tore his ACL mid October so Im not sure how much he can do other than rehab.  I know when we drafted him, he said he thinks he should be ready for training camp
Reply/Quote
All I want of my RBs is to never turn over the ball... if he can catch, awesome! Just don't fumble it. Not much to ask...our Line should open up the holes... the rest takes care of itself...
Reply/Quote

Dave Lapham or David Latham? 

Latham's story quoted some obscure Bleacher Report writer.  I haven't seen Lap make this suggestion? 

Reply/Quote