Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.4 Average
Offensive Line Getting Better
Probably what got lost in this game was how much better our offensive line has gotten. I don’t know the numbers that PFF will give them, but the eye test seemed better.

One sack- Collins got beat like a drum and another was a clear miscommunication not picking up the late blitzer. I only remember one other quick pressure where Burrow scrambled. They also opened up holes in the run game. That probably sucks the worst knowing that it wasn’t really our O-lines fault for poor offense.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 07:38 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Probably what got lost in this game was how much better our offensive line has gotten. I don’t know the numbers that PFF will give them, but the eye test seemed better.

One sack- Collins got beat like a drum and another was a clear miscommunication not picking up the late blitzer. I only remember one other quick pressure where Burrow scrambled. They also opened up holes in the run game. That probably sucks the worst knowing that it wasn’t really our O-lines fault for poor offense.

I thought they played better yes, but Collins also had an assignment breakdown on the crucial 4 and goal.  Mixon had some holes but also thought he did his best reading of defense, he made quick decisions when hole was not there.  Very few penalties that was a positive also. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Tee Higgins not being out there definitely hurt us. But this one is definitely on the head coach/play caller (zac). If we run the ball at the 2 on 1st down we probably score. Mixon was running at over 4yds a carry. Even if we don't score just kick the field goal and we at least give ourselves a better chance to win.
Reply/Quote
They played better unfortunstely Collins is a liability. I bet his PFF will be in the 30s. Between missed assignments (such as the shovel pass) or the frequent whiffs when he does know who is supposed to block he’s a real problem on the right side of the line. Honestly he shouldn’t make a claim in the off-season that you were Joe’s bodyguard and nobody’s gonna touch him and proceed to play so shitty.

It was good to see some running lanes and Mixon finally was able to get some decent YAC.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 08:02 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I thought they played better yes, but Collins also had an assignment breakdown on the crucial 4 and goal.  Mixon had some holes but also thought he did his best reading of defense, he made quick decisions when hole was not there.  Very few penalties that was a positive also. 

Collins being our worst linemen is not something I thought I’d say at the beginning of the year.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 08:13 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Collins being our worst linemen is not something I thought I’d say at the beginning of the year.

im not saying he is bad but he is not playing up to his $$ and expectations
Reply/Quote
Mixon played well Perine is beast mode tho that guy runs over top of defenders.
Reply/Quote
Collins has to be one of the biggest disappointments for sure.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 08:20 AM)BengalsBong Wrote: Mixon played well Perine is beast mode tho that guy runs over top of defenders.

And what do many on here know...., they preached to cut Perine, he stinks.. i think he is a solid backup and 3rd down back for a few reasons, most backups are not going to be all pros , those players tend to end up starting for another team.. he fits his role fine and does not fumble much
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 07:38 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Probably what got lost in this game was how much better our offensive line has gotten. I don’t know the numbers that PFF will give them, but the eye test seemed better.

Nice positive for sure and I thought we would lose this game because of all the factors. Them at home after getting 
embarrassed by us last season, Lamar playing good, having a good running game while our main man was out in DJ, 
our predictability on Offense etc.

All we can take from this game is that we just need to get better in order to get back to what we can be. The OL
starting to play better is what needed to happen, still concerned about play calling and the overall playbook but if we
can run the ball like we started to do last night we may be able to overcome these things.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 08:15 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: im not saying he is bad but he is not playing up to his $$ and expectations

I can forgive him for getting physically getting beat while struggling through an injury.  What I cannot get past is a player of his experience having as many mental blunders as he's had thus far into the season.  

How many years of playing Tackle does it take to realize that when the TE motions to the other side of the line, you have the outside rusher..
Is he missing the audibles on plays?  Are the OL just not communicating?  Does he not understand that his assignment changes when a play changes?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 01:33 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I can forgive him for getting physically getting beat while struggling through an injury.  What I cannot get past is a player of his experience having as many mental blunders as he's had thus far into the season.  

How many years of playing Tackle does it take to realize that when the TE motions to the other side of the line, you have the outside rusher..
Is he missing the audibles on plays?  Are the OL just not communicating?  Does he not understand that his assignment changes when a play changes?

Smokin' too much weed or somethin'. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 08:23 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: And what do many on here know...., they preached to cut Perine, he stinks.. i think he is a solid backup and 3rd down back for a few reasons, most backups are not going to be all pros , those players tend to end up starting for another team.. he fits his role fine and does not fumble much

I was one of those last season because his pass blocking was horrific. This season to his credit he has cleaned the pass blocking up largely. He is hitting the hole quickly and driving with some power which helps a lot. 
Reply/Quote
LC is the worst starting RT in the league. It's a fact at this point

you gotta move him to LG either this year or next year. I think Prince at RT and Collins at LG just makes the o-line much better
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 01:40 PM)Joelist Wrote: I was one of those last season because his pass blocking was horrific. This season to his credit he has cleaned the pass blocking up largely. He is hitting the hole quickly and driving with some power which helps a lot. 

Kind of changes perspective on a player when he improves his game significantly...
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 08:13 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Collins being our worst linemen is not something I thought I’d say at the beginning of the year.

It wasn’t La’el Collins who left Josh Bynes completely unblocked with a free shot at Joe Burrow.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 02:06 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: It wasn’t La’el Collins who left Josh Bynes completely unblocked with a free shot at Joe Burrow.

cool

Collins has still been the worst lineman out there

His years as a tackle are over. Move him to LG and Prince to RT. That would make the o-line much better
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 02:06 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: It wasn’t La’el Collins who left Josh Bynes completely unblocked with a free shot at Joe Burrow.

But it was la’el getting molly whooped by JPP consistently.

The blitz was a mental mistake, La’el is having mental mistakes and getting just flat out beat.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 02:07 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: cool

Collins has still been the worst lineman out there

His years as a tackle are over. Move him to LG and Prince to RT. That would make the o-line much better

Not sure I would take him over Volson who continues to get better every single week.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 02:09 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Not sure I would take him over Volson who continues to get better every single week.

That is actually an excellent observation. I haven’t noticed Cordell Volson which means he’s doing his job.
Reply/Quote