Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
***Official 2022 NFL Draft Thread***
(04-29-2022, 12:47 AM)iowahwky4cincy Wrote: I think they put him at corner, probably competing with Apple. 

I kinda don’t see us drafting a safety to turn around and make him play corner.

I also don’t see why he was even there at 31 if he’s really as solid a corner as everyone is making him out to be.

Something isn’t adding up to me. Commentator said he was possibly the best slot CB in the draft. So how did that fall to 31? Was he telling teams he did not want to play NFL corner? Was he injured in college? I’m missing a piece of info here.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2022, 12:56 AM)scottyd33 Wrote: We just drafted John Ross 2.0

That's what people were saying last year.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Really bad take.

Reply/Quote
(04-29-2022, 12:58 AM)bfine32 Wrote: How long you been an OSU fan? 

Probably one of those "Draft Chase Young over Burrow, then get Fields next year", guys.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2022, 12:58 AM)bfine32 Wrote: How long you been an OSU fan? 

Never. OSU is always overrated.
Reply/Quote
People have to get used to picking this late. It's going to be best player available and figure out the fit later. That's what you do when you pick this high.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2022, 12:59 AM)Housh Wrote: I kinda don’t see us drafting a safety to turn around and make him play corner.

I also don’t see why he was even there at 31 if he’s really as solid a corner as everyone is making him out to be.

Something isn’t adding up to me. Commentator said he was possibly the best slot CB in the draft. So how did that fall to 31? Was he telling teams he did not want to play NFL corner? Was he injured in college? I’m missing a piece of info here.

I did some digging which included his NFL.com profile and a couple draft profiles. This guy is going to be used exactly how we wanted to use Ricardo Allen. They paint him as a safety with great coverage skills. But they specifically said that the way he plays was made for a guy playing in the linebacker part of the field. Said he had good instincts in shading, bumping guys and bailing into deep coverage from the linebacker position.

I don’t think this guy is a Bates replacement pick. This seems to be Zac and Lou getting the guy they wanted for years to play that 3rd safety role. This kid doing well could actually help get Bates paid. If this 3 safety thing is a box office smash hit it’s gonna be HARD letting Bates walk.

My biggest guess as to why he was there at 31 is teams actually dinged him for his versatility. The issue with guys that can play S, and CB is they go thru their whole high school and college careers with their coach using them exactly how they want, then get to the NFL and a coach tells you which position he thinks you’re better at and boom now you are playing 1 position your whole NFL career. And if you suck at it it’s your fault and you are a bust. Remember Mark Barron? He was a S that probably should’ve played linebacker his whole career. So at least this pick passes me first red flag test. He’s multi positional and we are planning to use him in a multi positional manner. Why draft a CB/S mix of you are just gonna make him a S or CB. That’s stupid to me. Get his ass in games at both positions.

Last note. Imagine the blitz packages and zone disguises we’ll be able to do with this kid. This kid with 4.3 speed is gonna be a menace in blitzes and QBs will absolutely HAVE to account for him in zone. He’s a kid i could see actually becoming an NFL playmaker after not getting many picks in college. Imagine sets where Bates is the only safety back and Bell and Hill are hugging the LOS presnap. There’s basically no way to tell what play well run besides assuming that Whatever side Bell is on, he won’t be playing man coverage on a WR.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
I would love to hear the choices put on record of pick other than Hall that was available at #31
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2022, 01:02 AM)Whatever Wrote: Probably one of those "Draft Chase Young over Burrow, then get Fields next year", guys.

Nope…was team Burrow and Chase. This team picks great in top 5. Doesn’t know how to make a pic to save its ass below 20. This pick is awful. It’s no depth for any players that we need now or as a free agent to be next year.
Reply/Quote
The D got us to the super bowl, looks like they are doubling on D. Good to see that.
Reply/Quote

First of all, John Ross would've been a better value at 31. 

But frankly I don't see the similarity at all. Ross was someone we locked into taking and he was a reach. Daxton Hill was a mid-rounder who fell to us. 

Maybe you're saying they are similar because they are both fast? Daxton Hill runs a 4.3. I don't think that is a bad attribute for a player to have. 

Reply/Quote
(04-29-2022, 01:08 AM)scottyd33 Wrote: Nope…was team Burrow and Chase. This team picks great in top 5. Doesn’t know how to make a pic to save its ass below 20. This pick is awful. It’s no depth for any players that we need now or as a free agent to be next year.

Silly statement is silly.

Tee Higgins
Jessie Bates
Joe Mixon
Logan Wilson
Tyler Boyd
Sam Hubbard

Should we keep going?

Reply/Quote
(04-29-2022, 01:04 AM)Housh Wrote: I did some digging which included his NFL.com profile and a couple draft profiles. This guy is going to be used exactly how we wanted to use Ricardo Allen. They paint him as a safety with great coverage skills. But they specifically said that the way he plays was made for a guy playing in the linebacker part of the field. Said he had good instincts in shading, bumping guys and bailing into deep coverage from the linebacker position.

I don’t think this guy is a Bates replacement pick. This seems to be Zac and Lou getting the guy they wanted for years to play that 3rd safety role. This kid doing well could actually help get Bates paid. If this 3 safety thing is a box office smash hit it’s gonna be HARD letting Bates walk.

My biggest guess as to why he was there at 31 is teams actually dinged him for his versatility. The issue with guys that can play S, and CB is they go thru their whole high school and college careers with their coach using them exactly how they want, then get to the NFL and a coach tells you which position he thinks you’re better at and boom now you are playing 1 position your whole NFL career. And if you suck at it it’s your fault and you are a bust. Remember Mark Barron? He was a S that probably should’ve played linebacker his whole career. So at least this pick passes me first red flag test. He’s multi positional and we are planning to use him in a multi positional manner. Why draft a CB/S mix of you are just gonna make him a S or CB. That’s stupid to me. Get his ass in games at both positions

A big reason folks are bringing him up as a Bates replacement is the Bengals use Bates in single high a lot.  With his quick hips and blazing 40 time, Hill has the physical tools necessary to play single high.  He can be used in a variety of other ways, as well.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2022, 01:18 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Silly statement is silly.

Tee Higgins
Jessie Bates
Joe Mixon
Logan Wilson
Tyler Boyd
Sam Hubbard

Should we keep going?

At what a bunch of second rounders you named? We are talking first round here.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2022, 01:30 AM)scottyd33 Wrote: At what a bunch of second rounders you named? We are talking first round here.

31 is usually almost a second round pick for us
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2022, 01:30 AM)scottyd33 Wrote: At what a bunch of second rounders you named? We are talking first round here.

That’s not what you said. You said they were bad at drafting after 20. But since you’re moving the goal posts now…

Tyler Eifert (21) - a Pro Bowl pick that had his career derailed by injuries.

WJ3 (24) - solid CB that got a bag from another team.

Kevin Zeitler (27) very good player, also got a bag from another team.

Jermaine Gresham (21) 2x Pro Bowler.

Reply/Quote
(04-29-2022, 01:35 AM)likwit19 Wrote: 31 is usually almost a second round pick for us

Yes 100%. So instead of sitting on your hands and taking a piece that isn’t what you need you either trade up to get the guy or trade down and get more depth. This guy is the same type that came out of Michigan a couple years ago. I can’t remember his name. He wasn't good. Got traded 2 years ago and I don’t even think he is in the league now. He is kind of a position less player. It just isn’t the pic you make in the first round.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2022, 01:44 AM)scottyd33 Wrote: Yes 100%. So instead of sitting on your hands and taking a piece that isn’t what you need you either trade up to get the guy or trade down and get more depth. This guy is the same type that came out of Michigan a couple years ago. I can’t remember his name. He wasn't good. Got traded 2 years ago and I don’t even think he is in the league now. He is kind of a position less player. It just isn’t the pic you make in the first round.

*pick is getting almost universally praised by draftniks*

*guy on message board who “can’t remember player comparison’s name” hates pick. Pick bad*

Reply/Quote
(04-29-2022, 01:41 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: That’s not what you said. You said they were bad at drafting after 20. But since you’re moving the goal posts now…

Tyler Eifert (21) - a Pro Bowl pick that had his career derailed by injuries.

WJ3 (24) - solid CB that got a bag from another team.

Kevin Zeitler (27) very good player, also got a bag from another team.

Jermaine Gresham (21) 2x Pro Bowler.

Why don’t you make some of the more notable picks made? Billy price, Dre Kirkpatrick, Dennard, Ross, Obguhi.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2022, 01:50 AM)scottyd33 Wrote: Why don’t you make some of the more notable picks made? Billy price, Dre Kirkpatrick, Dennard, Ross, Obguhi.

Dre was a fine pick. Looks like a pretty even split between hits and misses to me (when you include the guys I mentioned). Just like every other team. Only in angry fantasy land do all other teams hit on every 1st round pick.

Reply/Quote