Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread***
Mike Brown not getting drunk on day one of free agency and giving out stupid amounts of cash isn’t new.
(03-15-2021, 07:20 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: If you have already won 2 Super Bowls and want to be close to your family, then you probably aren't worried about the head coach. 

I took a job that paid less then another to move back to Cincinnati because I wanted to be near my family. It's actually kind of common. Read the reports of WJIII looking at signing with the Texans, because he wants to go back to Houston... comfort in your surroundings is a big deal.

So... again, it was not rumors it was written about widely that Thuney liked the idea of being close to his family and back home. There was a great opportunity and we wasted it and the only people who don't seem to get that are Mike Brown defenders.

I think you are wildly over valuing the close to family thing.  We are talking about players that make millions of dollars and can afford to spend time with family no matter where they live.   Of course the COVID thing has complicated that a bit but it is settling down now. 

But again Bengals with a losing head coach or a team that was in the Super Bowl the last two years and won one?   If the money is the same what would you pick?  I think most NFL players made it to where they are because they like to win.  So I don't really get the, "I already won 2 Super Bowls so it's time to settle for a team that isn't so great," argument. They train and do everything they can to win and do everything they can to be on winning teams.  They like winning and being on winning teams increases their value for the next contract as long as they preform well.  

As much as I would have loved landing Thuney, he earned what he got and his effort landed him on one of the current top teams in the NFL. Good for him.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
(03-15-2021, 06:48 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Well that didn't happen.  It got turned in to a dumpster fire due to not signing one player that took a good offer with a Super Bowl contender.  That's too bad.  

It wasn’t just one player. Had they at least signed Zeitler you’d only see half the amount of complaints.

(03-15-2021, 06:51 PM)spazz70 Wrote: Sorry, that contract for Thuney is ridiculous....the thing that gets me is that KC can/did go sign him when they were in cap space hell just last week. I liked Thuney, I do not like 16/48 million Thuney.

They like their QB, and wanted the absolute best available to protect him. It’s a great signing. When they’re hoisting their second Lombardi next season nobody is going to regret overpaying a G to protect Mahomes.

(03-15-2021, 07:20 PM)kalibengal Wrote: Read on bleacher that Bengals trying to resign Lawson and Trey Hendrickson is thier"back up" plan
Bad messaging there ...why not say they are pursuing both? Saw Browns are intersted too....guess who likely wins?

Would pay Hendrickson myself, hope this happens. 

Really like Lawson as everyone knows but his injury history is still concerning.
(03-15-2021, 07:20 PM)kalibengal Wrote: Read on bleacher that Bengals trying to resign Lawson and Trey Hendrickson is thier"back up" plan
Bad messaging there ...why not say they are pursuing both? Saw Browns are intersted too....guess who likely wins?

Be nice if we resign Lawson, but I've got a feeling that someone will offer him more than we might be willing to give and by the time we figure it all out Hendrickson will be snapped up by someone like Cleveland.

God, I hate myself so much around the free agency time a year, I'm such a depressing asshole to be around! WhoDey!
(03-15-2021, 07:27 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Mike Brown not getting drunk on day one of free agency and giving out stupid amounts of cash isn’t new.

Neither are Bengals losing seasons...

Maybe changing one would impact a change in the other....

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Honestly, I'd rather them grab 2 upper-mid level pass rushers that they can use in rotations. Double up on guys like Okwara and Ingram. I'd rather get 2 very good guys and add depth than one huge signing with nothing behind them when they get hurt. Hubbard plus Lawson didn't exactly give them a monster pass rush last year. They need more guys that just Lawson or Hendrickson.
Thuney was overpaid man, get over it. I wouldn't want to only pay Thuney this Offseason.

16 mil a year? He is a good Guard but he isn't the greatest either. This is what he is being paid.

He better be the best Guard in the NFL next year in order for him to earn that.

Surprised the Chiefs were able to make it happen and surprised they didn't try and replace their OT's they just cut.

I will take Schwartz, Reiff and Gabe Jackson and we are ahead of the game.
(03-15-2021, 07:40 PM)BrownAssClown Wrote: Be nice if we resign Lawson, but I've got a feeling that someone will offer him more than we might be willing to give and by the time we figure it all out Hendrickson will be snapped up by someone like Cleveland.

God, I hate myself so much around the free agency time a year, I'm such a depressing asshole to be around! WhoDey!

Don't worry there are a lot of depressing assholes around here lol
I’ll withhold judgment on free agency until it’s over or most top FAs are off the table.

Nobody seriously thought we would be singing a guy like Thuney right? The Bengals simply aren’t going to land a #1 free agent at a position...

Also, as someone pointed out in another thread, we have so many needs it’s hard to justify dropping so much cash on one position when a few mediocre players can improve this team. We need to improve in pretty much every position other than QB and S... we need a wider net than a lot of teams right now.
(03-15-2021, 06:51 PM)spazz70 Wrote: Sorry, that contract for Thuney is ridiculous....the thing that gets me is that KC can/did go sign him when they were in cap space hell just last week.  I liked Thuney, I do not like 16/48 million Thuney.

I think they are betting the cap is going to increase a lot fast. First, we'll rebound from the COVID years low cap and then caps will get higher and higher. Long contracts usually benefit the team. 

Also, there is this:

https://twitter.com/NFL_DovKleiman/status/1371444800059232261?s=20

When your top guys are willing to take a pay cut that opens up some possibilities. 

(03-15-2021, 07:36 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It wasn’t just one player. Had they at least signed Zeitler you’d only see half the amount of complaints.

Again it is a two way street.  A team makes an offer and a player and his agent has to accept that offer.  And again I am in no way saying the Bengals organization is doing a good job.  But I still have not heard if the Bengals made Zeitler an offer or not.  Maybe they did and he said, "No thanks."  

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
(03-15-2021, 07:46 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I’ll withhold judgment on free agency until it’s over or most top FAs are off the table.

I would as well. The Brown family should be back from another ski trip tomorrow. LOL
[Image: 442477217_947289567407463_69894548258261...e=6657196A]

(03-15-2021, 07:46 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I’ll withhold judgment on free agency until it’s over or most top FAs are off the table.

Nobody seriously thought we would be singing a guy like Thuney right? The Bengals simply aren’t going to land a #1 free agent at a position...

Also, as someone pointed out in another thread, we have so many needs it’s hard to justify dropping so much cash on one position when a few mediocre players can improve this team. We need to improve in pretty much every position other than QB and S... we need a wider net than a lot of teams right now.

Same, and a lot were acting the same way as the panicking folk last year right before FA and then we went all out on D.

Big cuts will happen, we will see how it pans out. The OL and DL can still be taken care of for all we know.

I didn't just want Thuney in FA who was overpaid by the Chiefs who needed OT's not just a Guard.

Thought the Chiefs were stupid in this move. We will see.
(03-15-2021, 07:38 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: They like their QB, and wanted the absolute best available to protect him. It’s a great signing. When they’re hoisting their second Lombardi next season nobody is going to regret overpaying a G to protect Mahomes.

Great point! They saw the Bucs
"D" chase Mahomes as he was running for his life in the Superbowl. KC management said, "enough of that!" and had taken steps to correct it.
Meanwhile in Cincinnati, Dalton and now Burrow run for their lives and we sign 2nd and 3rd tier guys trying to plug holes and pray our drafted lineman will come in and get the job done. Truely is a ' Tale of Two Cities'.
If I'm a Chiefs fan, I'd only be happy Thuney was overpaid. If the Bengals signed him to the same deal, I'd be excited. I don't care if billionaires have to pay athletes a lot of money.
(03-15-2021, 07:47 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Again it is a two way street.  A team makes an offer and a player and his agent has to accept that offer.  And again I am in no way saying the Bengals organization is doing a good job.  But I still have not heard if the Bengals made Zeitler an offer or not.  Maybe they did and he said, "No thanks."  

I’m tired of maybes. Just sign some good players. And I’d much rather overpay the guys that protect our franchise than a NT or CB.

(03-15-2021, 07:51 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: If I'm a Chiefs fan, I'd only be happy Thuney was overpaid. If the Bengals signed him to the same deal, I'd be excited. I don't care if billionaires have to pay athletes a lot of money.

I don't care if we still were able to pay more players. If we were only able to pay one, I would NOT be excited.

Thuney wouldn't of filled all of the team's holes.
(03-15-2021, 07:51 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’m tired of maybes. Just sign some good players. And I’d much rather overpay the guys that protect our franchise than a NT or CB.

Absolutely agree with you.

If you overpay for all 5 on the O-line and have to fill in at WR with the left overs, that's fine.

A great O-line makes holes for the running game and keeps the pocket clean. More time to stand there and look means that average WRs have enough time to get open.

We'll do it backwards, and blow our load on a WR or CB.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]