Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Ogbuehi turning a corner?
(06-08-2018, 05:20 AM)McC Wrote: I'm LeonardLeap.  I hate everything.  How cool am I?

(06-08-2018, 02:37 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I'm McC.  I eat up all Bengals propaganda I read, regardless of how improbable it is that one of the worst players in all of football is going to turn into a great player overnight because I either can't, or choose not to, think for myself... so I like to attack other people's reasonable disbelief regardless of how many times I have been burnt in the past.  How cool am I?

Just a reminder to please keep the discussions friendly and non-personal.   Wink
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
i was hoping most would catch my sarcasm about Ced. o hated the pick 4 years ago and I hate it more now. such a waste of a player
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2018, 06:28 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: i was hoping most would catch my sarcasm about Ced.   o hated the pick 4 years ago and I hate it more now.  such a waste of a player

I didn't like the pick either.....mostly because he was injured.  Once I saw him in action, I HATED the pick.  Hopefully Pollack can at least make him into a serviceable backup or swing man.  I really don't see much more than that.  However, if he gets at least that out of the guy, he's already leaps and bounds better than his predecessor.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(06-09-2018, 10:10 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: I didn't like the pick either.....mostly because he was injured.  Once I saw him in action, I HATED the pick.  Hopefully Pollack can at least make him into a serviceable backup or swing man.  I really don't see much more than that.  However, if he gets at least that out of the guy, he's already leaps and bounds better than his predecessor.

Absolutely. I know it’s wishful thinking but maybe Pollack can do even better than that?

Reply/Quote
(06-09-2018, 10:14 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Absolutely. I know it’s wishful thinking but maybe Pollack can do even better than that?

Wouldn't that be nice?  Time will tell......

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(06-09-2018, 10:10 AM)Wyche Wrote: I didn't like the pick either.....mostly because he was injured.  Once I saw him in action, I HATED the pick.  Hopefully Pollack can at least make him into a serviceable backup or swing man.  I really don't see much more than that.  However, if he gets at least that out of the guy, he's already leaps and bounds better than his predecessor.

I really hope he turns the corner, but....to me it would be like me waking up one morning, and suddenly I'm a football player! I may be more of a football player to start with, as I'm no quitter ( even if I'm hurt ) and I'd do anything to keep from losing, even on a so-so team. I've yet to see these qualities in this guy, all I've seen so far is the big "L" on his forehead. IF he's suddenly playing for a paycheck, trade him off to the first team that loses a tackle, because we don't need guys like that on our team, there's no future there. Hopefully, Pollack IS a miracle worker, but even if he's not I'm glad we have him, I've seen enough old schemes to make me puke, and Dallas will be sorry sooner rather than later,imo.
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2018, 12:32 PM)Wyche Wrote: File this in the WAY too early to tell category, but is it possible that Og has began to turn things around in the Queen City under Pollack?  I'll believe it when I see it, but if this is indeed the case, just how bad was Piano Man?

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/6/7/17434272/cedric-ogbuehi-making-big-strides-with-frank-pollacks-help-bengals-offensive-line

I call Bullshit! The guy catches rushers and gets way too high. He then gets killed by the bull rush. He lacks strength to handle NFL rushers and it has been more than evident. They are not even in pads, just wait until he actually blocks. Would not surprise me if he gets cut.
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2018, 12:38 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Yeah, I heard he was doing MMA in the offseason, went back to his Olympic workout routine, he was unstoppable when playing as Whitworth for the practice squad, and he finally moved back to his natural position. Marvin said he was the best 4th year bust 1st round LT he had ever seen.  Ninja

Ogbuehi Turning A Corner:
[Image: corner-fail.gif]

Anyone Who Is Actually Buying Into This:
[Image: bridge-to-sell1.png]

I am sure this kind of competition is only going to make Harley Dog even better.  He is undisputed at GIF/Videos, but this is pretty damn good.  
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2018, 12:43 PM)Wyche Wrote: No one is buying anything......it's more of a what if scenario.  What if he does become serviceable?  What would that say about Pollack's predecessor and him holding this team back?

I would file this under "Yes, the practices aren't even in pads yet, but if they get ANYTHING out of him now, it is found money".

Should he be able to win the job at RT and succeed, the Bengals have lots of options.  They could keep him and let him stay there, or let him hit FA and maybe end up being a nice compensatory pick.  The guy I really want to win the RT job is Fisher.  I don't know him, personally, but I like what I hear of him:  Tough, feisty, and driven.  If he has a clean bill of health, I think he could be a very solid contributor.  I really like the fact that he took to heart the offseason program and put on significant size and strength a year ago.  If your heart isn't functioning correctly, it is like trying to win a car race with a bad engine...you have no chance.  

Ced just seems to have some indifference to him.  Now, if Fish falls flat on his face and Ced has a great season, would I be disappointed?  Hell, no.  I just find myself rooting for Fisher.  
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2018, 01:20 PM)depthchart Wrote: Paul Alexander is getting positive Press in Dallas just like Pollack is here.

Alexander was quoted as saying that coaching the Dallas O-line feels like he's gone to heaven.

Where he might have gone to heaven is not facing the defenses in the AFC North twice a year.  Hell, even Cleveland has a solid defense and if their offense can ever hang on to the ball they might be something.  
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2018, 11:46 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: So Pollack has made him more powerful in a couple of weeks huh? Right!

I will say this, Paul Alexander wanted him badly because he fit the "quick feet and athleticism" mold that he wanted for his LT.  He was absolutely giddy about him being drafted, but we all saw how poorly Alexander's line played and Ced was one of the worst out there.  There is a chance (so, you're saying there's a chance!) that the different scheme is actually a better fit for Ced's skill set.  A simpler, drive block instead of trying to block while sliding or dropping might use his speed and length better.  He was panned as a draft pick for not having the best base on the move.  Now, you can say that a LT like Whit could do either...sure, but he had years to adapt and he struggled early as well.  People forget that. 

Ced actually did improve his strength quite a bit last offseason, but the scheme and lack of any outside threats not named AJ Green really doomed this offense.  Here's to hoping he contributes in some way.  Even if that way is simply pushing Fish to be his best, that is something.

One thing is for sure, the Bengals will be torching folks in the preseason games.  Depth across both lines and a lot of RB/WR/TE trying to make the club with some real talent...should be fun to watch. 
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2018, 08:48 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I will say this, Paul Alexander wanted him badly because he fit the "quick feet and athleticism" mold that he wanted for his LT.  He was absolutely giddy about him being drafted, but we all saw how poorly Alexander's line played and Ced was one of the worst out there.  There is a chance (so, you're saying there's a chance!) that the different scheme is actually a better fit for Ced's skill set.  A simpler, drive block instead of trying to block while sliding or dropping might use his speed and length better.  He was panned as a draft pick for not having the best base on the move.  Now, you can say that a LT like Whit could do either...sure, but he had years to adapt and he struggled early as well.  People forget that. 

Ced actually did improve his strength quite a bit last offseason, but the scheme and lack of any outside threats not named AJ Green really doomed this offense.  Here's to hoping he contributes in some way.  Even if that way is simply pushing Fish to be his best, that is something.

One thing is for sure, the Bengals will be torching folks in the preseason games.  Depth across both lines and a lot of RB/WR/TE trying to make the club with some real talent...should be fun to watch. 

TBH, I still can’t fathom what the heck Alexander was trying to do? Too complicated. I think these guys are going to have a clear vision of what is expected. They will perform or be benched.

Reply/Quote
Ced might be a backup..scouting reports on him in college said he lacked the strength to be successful in the NFL

that has not changed..nor will it
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2018, 08:48 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I will say this, Paul Alexander wanted him badly because he fit the "quick feet and athleticism" mold that he wanted for his LT.  He was absolutely giddy about him being drafted, but we all saw how poorly Alexander's line played and Ced was one of the worst out there.  There is a chance (so, you're saying there's a chance!) that the different scheme is actually a better fit for Ced's skill set.  A simpler, drive block instead of trying to block while sliding or dropping might use his speed and length better.  He was panned as a draft pick for not having the best base on the move.  Now, you can say that a LT like Whit could do either...sure, but he had years to adapt and he struggled early as well.  People forget that. 

no ced  did not "improve his strength" he got pushed around every play..
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2018, 02:09 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: The Cincinnati Bengals, the team of perpetual development.  Wasted

best statement ever..LOL
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2018, 12:23 PM)cooper Wrote: Ced might be a backup..scouting reports on him in college said he lacked the strength to be successful in the NFL

[Image: Bunghole2.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(06-10-2018, 03:31 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: [Image: Bunghole2.jpg]

Hit.
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2018, 09:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Hit.

Hilarious

Reply/Quote
Og had better turn a corner unless he wants to block for Johnny Manziel 
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2018, 12:23 PM)cooper Wrote: Ced might be a backup..scouting reports on him in college said he lacked the strength to be successful in the NFL

To be fair, he has increased his strength since he arrived in Cincinnati.  Where I believe he struggles is concentration and how to handle a bull rush.  The bull rush is as much technique as it is strength.  He would also do something that looked great one play and then horrible the next.  

Stranger things have happened.  I don't think anyone thought Evan Mathis was going to become what he became after leaving Cincy, although I can't think of too many cases where someone flat out sucked and played well elsewhere.  
Reply/Quote