Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Oline starters
Looks like Glenn Jordan Hopkins Miller Hart are the starters. Sucks for price. Cross our fingers now.
Reply/Quote
Taylor did add that the foot injury sucked and they’ll count on billy in the future but damn. How about him announcing Damien Willis as a starter already and saying he’ll sit during 4th preseason game this is the opposite of Marv
Who Dey!!!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 02:15 PM)TSwigZ Wrote: Taylor did add that the foot injury sucked and they’ll count on billy in the future but damn. How about him announcing Damien Willis as a starter already and saying he’ll sit during 4th preseason game this is the opposite of Marv

Yeah love it !! Performance matters now , unlike the past where draft, salary , veteran etc determined it.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 02:16 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Yeah love it !!  Performance matters now , unlike the past where draft, salary , veteran etc determined it.

This tells me their headed in the right direction. Well, this and many other things ZT has been doing. You want the spot, you have to earn it.

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 02:16 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Yeah love it !!  Performance matters now , unlike the past where draft, salary , veteran etc determined it.

Performance always mattered.

Just ask George Iloka.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 02:15 PM)TSwigZ Wrote: Taylor did add that the foot injury sucked and they’ll count on billy in the future but damn.

If the injury was an issue I don't think Price would the first guy off the bench at any interior position like Taylor indicated.

Not bashing Hopkins, but the improvement of Price was one of the big factors I was counting on to improve the O-line.  Hopkins may have outplayed Price last year, but he was not impressive at all.  And Hopkins has been in the league 4 years.  He is not going to suddenly improve dramatically this season.
Reply/Quote
Well I’ll trust the coaches on this one because every time I saw Price in there he was very good and meanwhile Hopkins was not so good at times (like against the Skins).
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 02:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If the injury was an issue I don't think Price would the first guy off the bench at any interior position like Taylor indicated.

Probably right. This is a case of guys earning it and I love the message it sends. Billy will play hard to show he's got the stuff. It's things like this that help athletes reach the next level. Also, just because he's a backup, those guys are gonna have to fight hard to keep their jobs because Billy will be trying to regain it.

Reply/Quote
Love the Willis news. That has to resonate with the players, current and future. It’s not about experience, not about draft position, it’s about what you earn. Having a rookie undrafted WR starting week one cannot be a common thing around the league ( feel free to correct me if I’m wrong Fred or any of the other stat junkies out there).

I love how Zac has come in from day one with a clear vision of what he wants to build. From the tiniest details to the major decisions, he seems to know what he wants. May work, may not, but it is definitely enjoyable to watch and a nice change of pace
Reply/Quote
Somehow I suspect that Price will regain the starting position sooner rather than later

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 02:49 PM)pally Wrote: Somehow I suspect that Price will regain the starting position sooner rather than later

Agreed, even if he isn’t one of the top 5 now I don’t see the talent (or lack thereof) in front of him keeping him on the bench for long.
Reply/Quote
If its taking 3 yrs for Ross to get there, I dont see why it cant take 3 for Price either. Price was struggling too during training camp his rookie year.Unlike Ross he has improved greatly though.
Reply/Quote
So Price can’t win a starting job, and Jonah Williams is out for the year...

Fun times.

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 02:45 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Love the Willis news. That has to resonate with the players, current and future. It’s not about experience, not about draft position, it’s about what you earn. Having a rookie undrafted WR starting week one cannot be a common thing around the league ( feel free to correct me if I’m wrong Fred or any of the other stat junkies out there).

I love how Zac has come in from day one with a clear vision of what he wants to build. From the tiniest details to the major decisions, he seems to know what he wants. May work, may not, but it is definitely enjoyable to watch and a nice change of pace

The good thing about Willis, is it's not like he's getting the start because the other WR's look bad.  Most of them looked pretty good through the preseason.  

Price is surprising.  I mean, PFF and CincyJungle have said Hopkins is outplaying him, but it's still odd to see a 1st round pick benched.  There was a long running thought around here that MB forced coaches to play guys due to salary and or draft position.  

With Willis shining, it seems that Ross will have to earn his snaps when he gets back.  
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 02:45 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote:  Having a rookie undrafted WR starting week one cannot be a common thing around the league ( feel free to correct me if I’m wrong Fred or any of the other stat junkies out there).

It's not. Although I think Burfict was a UDFA and started his first year (could be wrong, probably am), it's not that common and you really have to give the kid credit for earning that job. He has looked really good in preseason. If he does well in AJ's absence, he's definitely our #3 when AJ returns.

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 02:45 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Love the Willis news. That has to resonate with the players, current and future. It’s not about experience, not about draft position, it’s about what you earn. Having a rookie undrafted WR starting week one cannot be a common thing around the league ( feel free to correct me if I’m wrong Fred or any of the other stat junkies out there).

I like Willis earned a spot and start. Now let's see him be productive so he earns another start and then again and again.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Taylor is starting the best at their positions.
It's black and white.
No one is being handed jobs anymore.
Jobs are earned in this new era.
Reply/Quote
I wondered if Price would struggle in an outside zone. Remember he was drafted to play in an power man/inside zone scheme.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I like this too. Coaches have to go with who they think are the best.
Also Price was not a ZT pick so maybe he is not as high on him as the prev staff was?

Under Marv players were allowed to underperform for too long (just like the HC). And it seems like Marvin would give veterans the nod over young guys. I don’t think this years team is a playoff contender so why not start Jordan and see how he plays? Injuries have also opened the door for the young WRs to show what they can do.
Reply/Quote
Ross returns and other updates on today's presser and practice notes.

https://www.bengals.com/news/quick-hits-surprise-wr-starter-willis-surprised-c-hopkins-lg-jordan-also-named-f

Thoughts on Price being benched. It would never have happened under Marvin. That's a first round pick and along with the struggles of Ross..... Got to think Tobin wanted one of them to work out.

ZT is calling the shots with the roster.

Green still in boot. No update on the timeline to return. He's in the building tho.

Willis going from undrafted to starter is a story. Who would have thought that coming out of a draft we didn't select a wideout in.

Jordan wins LG job.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote