Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
PDJ - Bengals Will Prioritize OL in FA
(01-03-2021, 02:10 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I must be a Gio hater, but I haven't been that impressed with him for quite a few years now.
He hasn't had more than 458 rushing yards in a season since 2015.
I like him as a COP back and backup but not as good RB1.

I’ve always found Gio a little overrated by our fans. Good player, great guy, not a #1.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 01:51 PM)impactplaya Wrote: I think.its Kyle Pitts or Jamar Chase in RD 1
They have no playmakers at TE or a Tyrek Hill type at
WR. I guess this elimanates Alex Erickson returning.
Darn.

Not sure I'd compare Chase to Hill, now Devonta Hill...
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 02:30 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I’ve seen 5 different mock drafts this week from major draft sites like CBS and all had Sewell available at 5. So, I don’t think it’s out of the realm of possibility that the team will have a shot at him.

My point is, it sounds like the FO has made up their mind about signing o-line and drafting a “playmaker” before the season is over and the draft process really gets under way. What happened to making a draft board and drafting the best player?

Because FA is before the draft. You can't not attack free agency on the off chance that Sewell is there. So if they find some solid to great FA linemen, then take a Playmaker in Draft, that is better than not taking a FA tackle and missing on Sewell. I still think they draft him if he's there, but attacking FA is a good strategy. 
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 02:04 PM)Sled21 Wrote: They probably realize at this point Sewell won't be there, because the Jets will likely take him. I'd say if he's there, they will take him, otherwise it should probably be Chase.

reports out of NY are that the Jets are planning to make a major trade of either Darnold or the 2nd round pick which would likely be someone trading up for a QB.  I'd have to go back and find the actual tweet because off the top of my head I don't remember who put it out

edit..I found it faster than I thought I could...It was Schefter

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
We have 2 excellent WRs that are under contract for 3 more years.  I don't see anyway in hell we use a first round pick on WR.  This team has so many holes in the roster it would be crazy to worry about moving Boyd or Higgins down to #3 WR.

Even if you think we need a speed demon we can pick up someone like that later in the draft.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 02:35 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Because FA is before the draft. You can't not attack free agency on the off chance that Sewell is there. So if they find some solid to great FA linemen, then take a Playmaker in Draft, that is better than not taking a FA tackle and missing on Sewell. I still think they draft him if he's there, but attacking FA is a good strategy. 

Even if he is there he’s going to have his ups and downs just like Jonah did. Now if there’s a stud OG next to him that makes his job a little easier.

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 01:37 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: So, does this mean its WR and no Sewell, even if Sewell is still on the board?

Yep. Sounds like they're going to try and build the line with experience and give him a HR hitting WR. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 02:36 PM)pally Wrote: reports out of NY are that the Jets are planning to make a major trade of either Darnold or the 2nd round pick which would likely be someone trading up for a QB.  I'd have to go back and find the actual tweet because off the top of my head I don't remember who put it out

Probably Donald for a 2nd(maybe late first) & 5th. They already have 4 firsts in the next two drafts as well they could Draft Sewell at 2 and move back into the top 10 to draft their QB.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 02:36 PM)fredtoast Wrote: We have 2 excellent WRs that are under contract for 3 more years.  I don't see anyway in hell we use a first round pick on WR.  This team has so many holes in the roster it would be crazy to worry about moving Boyd or Higgins down to #3 WR.

Even if you think we need a speed demon we can pick up someone like that later in the draft.

I agree, I think you take the best defensive player on the board. We need help at all 3 levels.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 02:36 PM)pally Wrote: reports out of NY are that the Jets are planning to make a major trade of either Darnold or the 2nd round pick which would likely be someone trading up for a QB.  I'd have to go back and find the actual tweet because off the top of my head I don't remember who put it out

I have never watched Darnold play, and his numbers are terrible this year.  But before the season started I heard multiple analyst claim that he has all the tools, both physical and mental, to be a good NFL QB.

I know this will offend some Bengal fans who treasure their victim cards, but the Jets are a much worse team than us.  I am betting that if they trade Darnold and draft a new QB he will fail also.
Reply/Quote
Doubt we spend in free agency We have a ton of comp picks in 2022. Jackson 3rd, Alexander 5th(maybe 4th), Green 5th, Ross 7th or Erickson 7th.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Im good with this approach as long as they attempt to sign top tier players on OL.....Protecting Burrow has to be priority #1 in offseason then D line /edge players.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 02:36 PM)fredtoast Wrote: We have 2 excellent WRs that are under contract for 3 more years.  I don't see anyway in hell we use a first round pick on WR.  This team has so many holes in the roster it would be crazy to worry about moving Boyd or Higgins down to #3 WR.

You’re big on numbers, neither of our WR’s are top 20 in any receiving category.

Boyd - 78 rec (22nd), 840 yards (28th), TD 4 (56th)

Higgins - 67 rec (30th), 908 yards (23rd), TD 6 (25th)

We can absolutely use another weapon. Especially when it comes to actually scoring TD’s.

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 02:39 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Yep. Sounds like they're going to try and build the line with experience and give him a HR hitting WR. 

Can’t argue with that strategy one bit. I’m pretty tired of hoping and praying on all these OL prospects. We’ve been burned too times recently, and we can’t wait around with Burrow’s health on the line.

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 02:51 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Can’t argue with that strategy one bit. I’m pretty tired of hoping and praying on all these OL prospects. We’ve been burned too times recently, and we can’t wait around with Burrow’s health on the line.

Yep. If they actually do upgrade the Oline sufficiently, then i have no prob with them going WR. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 02:48 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: You’re big on numbers, neither of our WR’s are top 20 in any receiving category.

We can absolutely use another weapon. Especially when it comes to actually scoring TD’s.

32 teams means top 32 are #1 WR numbers.

So we have two guys with #1 WR numbers.

I have no problem with getting more weapons, but with all the holes we have in our roster it would be crazy to use the first round pick at WR.  Use a 3rd or 4th round pick on a really fast WR if you want, but not the first round pick.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 02:48 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: You’re big on numbers, neither of our WR’s are top 20 in any receiving category.

Eh, some that has been because Burrow got hurt. When Burrow was healthy, Boyd was top 5 in the league in a several categories and Higgins was right behind Jefferson as best rookie WR.
Reply/Quote
Addressing the oline in.free agency means less of a learning curve
At whatever oline position they address.
Sign a Thuney or Scherff and bam hes a plug and play guy.less coaching up to do.
Drafting a WR or TE in RD 1 the growing pains are less than say
If a LT or RT Is drafted.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 02:48 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: You’re big on numbers, neither of our WR’s are top 20 in any receiving category.

But you've got to ask yourself: How much does that have to do with Burrow going down? Both were on pace for 1100-1200 yard seasons prior to JB's injury
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I mean, I love it. If they can pull a Scherff or Thuney over here and find a tackle upgrade, I am for going playmaker in the first. That also could translate to...

FA Guard

1. Sewell (if available)
2. Top WR available

Multiple ways to go about it.
Reply/Quote