Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
PDJ - Bengals Will Prioritize OL in FA
(01-03-2021, 02:36 PM)fredtoast Wrote: We have 2 excellent WRs that are under contract for 3 more years.  I don't see anyway in hell we use a first round pick on WR.  This team has so many holes in the roster it would be crazy to worry about moving Boyd or Higgins down to #3 WR.

Even if you think we need a speed demon we can pick up someone like that later in the draft.

For the first 3 rounds of the drafts since 2015, they’ve taken a first round defender once (WJ3). they’ve addressed that side of the ball in the second round once (Bates). Third round? 5 players.

They have to spend early round picks on high end talent on that side of the ball. Depending on what happens with Lawson and WJ3, it could be edge or CB
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
 [Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
There's a difference between signing actual difference makers on the O-line and signing 3rd and 4th tier guys.  While the FO may prioritize the line, it remains to be seen if they'll spend legit money and improve it from the bottom 3 unit it currently is.  Signing XSF, Spann, and Hart-level players does nothing to improve the line.  Spann has reverted to playing like the guy the Bills cut.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
Well, we need a lot of things. TE, WR, OL, DL, CB, LB. Pretty much everything save a starting QB and RB.

The priority HAS to be OL. That makes the offense go. Protects Burrow. Opens holes for Mixon & Gio. WRs and TEs will put up better numbers. Keeping the ball longer & scoring more will also help the D.

I would not read too much into ZT's comments. The only positions that are not a "playmaker" are DT and OL.

Plus FA is before the draft. If we can sign a stud OT & OG in FA, then we can look to fill other holes in the draft. If we do not sign a stud OT and Sewell is there, we will take him.
But passing on a stud (not a mediocre) OT to hope that Sewell is there would be risky. Bird in hand and all.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 01:51 PM)impactplaya Wrote: I think.its Kyle Pitts or Jamar Chase in RD 1
They have no playmakers at TE or a Tyrek Hill type at
WR. I guess this elimanates Alex Erickson returning.
Darn.

I'm all for Pitts in rd 1, burrow needs that security blanket. Only if Penei is gone though. 
Reply/Quote
If true, it only took them about 5 years to look at free agency as a serious solution.

Well I hope so anyway. They could mean signing a couple more players of XSF's caliber.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 01:45 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Because Mixon has showcased that throughout his career? Big Grin This guy should return his salary. He's proven he can't run behind whatever line we have constructed for him. We should have put money in the line and use someone other than Mixon at RB. That would have protected Burrow, make any average RB above average - and that's probably all Burrow needs.

This sound ignorant!! Name a running back who can survive behind that ?? line. Mixon is a top 5 back and we blessed to have him. The play caller sucks. Maybe if he would of had a more balance gameplan maybe then maybe  that would of protected Joe. The Ryan finaly gameplan vs the Steelers was the best of the year of any game. 
Reply/Quote
FWIW on the draft:

1) We are getting creamed. Any illusions (delusions?) that we are improving and THIS close need to be discarded. I know ZT will be back. But maybe this gets Lou canned too. Hopefully. Duke would be too much to hope for.

2) Miami getting creamed. This helps in a couple ways. First, it helps us maintain the TB edge vs Philly. Dolphins loss + a GB or NO or KC win and we pick ahead of Philly. It also would mean Tenn clinches a PO spot. Still have the Division crown to play for, but less motivation vs Hou could help our draft position.

3) ATL down 3 4th quarter vs TB.
Reply/Quote
If they're signing OL, sign me up for Taylor Moton from Carolina. He's a really good RT that will get paid, and Carolina has about 12 mil in cap space plus Curtis Samuel also becoming a FA. No way they sign both, as Moton alone will command in the neighborhood of 14 mil a year.

I don't see the paying Thuney big money, but I could see it happening on a tackle. They've exhausted every option from high draft picks do dumpster dives trying to find good ones. Time for them to go nuclear and buy one that's ready made to go any play at a high level in the league.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals said the same thing the past two seasons which is five seasons too damn late.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 06:12 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: The Bengals said the same thing the past two seasons which is five seasons too damn late.

Not really.  They came out of last season pimping Jordan and Johnson as the saviors of the line.  
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 06:17 PM)samhain Wrote: Not really.  They came out of last season pimping Jordan and Johnson as the saviors of the line.  

So did a lot of people here.

Especially Johnson.
Reply/Quote
I’d hate to lose out on Sewell even if he is there at 5. But if they DO fix the line in FA there will be an elite talent at 5.

Kyle Pitts or chase. Pitts is a top 10 TE right now
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 06:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So did a lot of people here.

Especially Johnson.

If we're being fair, Johnson has looked pretty good at OT, Now RG....but some thought he should play there 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 05:01 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Well, we need a lot of things. TE, WR, OL, DL, CB, LB. Pretty much everything save a starting QB and RB.

The priority HAS to be OL. That makes the offense go. Protects Burrow. Opens holes for Mixon & Gio. WRs and TEs will put up better numbers. Keeping the ball longer & scoring more will also help the D.

I would not read too much into ZT's comments. The only positions that are not a "playmaker" are DT and OL.

Plus FA is before the draft. If we can sign a stud OT & OG in FA, then we can look to fill other holes in the draft. If we do not sign a stud OT and Sewell is there, we will take him.
But passing on a stud (not a mediocre) OT to hope that Sewell is there would be risky. Bird in hand and all.

This.

We have so many needs that there's no way all will be addressed in one offseason.  Maybe two if things go well.  Of all the issues, the OL is the most glaring and had been a problem for way too long.  The quarterback most be protected at all costs.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 02:48 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: You’re big on numbers, neither of our WR’s are top 20 in any receiving category.

Boyd - 78 rec (22nd), 840 yards (28th), TD 4 (56th)

Higgins - 67 rec (30th), 908 yards (23rd), TD 6 (25th)

We can absolutely use another weapon. Especially when it comes to actually scoring TD’s.

you're not accounting for Burrow missing almost half the season.

Higgins was on pace for 1200 yards and 8 touchdowns before the Burrow injury

we do not need a wide receiver. We have 2 studs and Joe Burrow.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 08:14 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: you're not accounting for Burrow missing almost half the season.

You can never have too many good weapons. And a WR could very well be the BPA on the board when we pick. I think a lot of you need to get used to the idea because it sounds like the team is leaning that way.

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 08:14 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: you're not accounting for Burrow missing almost half the season.

1) they run 3-WR sets often, so you need 3 good WRs.
2) if one or both go down, what do you have? Their receiver depth is terrible after Higgins and Boyd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 08:24 PM)ochocincos Wrote: 1) they run 3-WR sets often, so you need 3 good WRs.
2) if one or both go down, what do you have? Their receiver depth is terrible after Higgins and Boyd.

Exactly. If you can’t run the ball, and your TE’s are mediocre at best, you better be stacked at WR. And we’re not.

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 01:34 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Jeremy Rauch of Fox19 shared a 2-minute interview with Paul Dehner Jr, who said...
The quote can be found around the 1:10 mark in the following link:

Frankly I wouldn't hold my breath for quality starters coming in via free agency. When it comes to the OL, the Bengals front office normally scours the waiver wire for OL help. Remember last year when Miller was the "big" free agent signing for the Bengals? Then there was Fred Johnson. This year it was XSF.

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 08:24 PM)ochocincos Wrote: 1) they run 3-WR sets often, so you need 3 good WRs.

But the sad fact is: Many of our starters are terrible. 4 win teams need not to be drafting for depth. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote