Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
PDJ - Bengals Will Prioritize OL in FA
(01-03-2021, 10:31 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: We need a home run hitter.

I'm not against that, at all, but hope we also get the pieces to make that player effective. Joe needs the chance to actually get the ball out to these players. Bubble screen might work a few times before they scout it, but a double move doesn't work when the QB is on his back before you hit your break. And it would be nice to run efficiently every game. 

Team could use a number of starters and depth. I, personally, worry most about the line. Not enough that all picks need to be O-line, but would hate for the team to forget the position. AJ came at number 4, and that was great, and you don't pass up on talent like that. Just hope something is done.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 10:43 PM)bfine32 Wrote: And: 

1 good LB is better than 0

1 good TE is better than 0

1 Good DE is better than 0

2 Good DTs are better than 1

Sweet. Now, i'm still a little fuzzy on a bird in the hand and 2 in the bush...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 10:43 PM)bfine32 Wrote: And: 

1 good LB is better than 0

1 good TE is better than 0

1 Good DE is better than 0

2 Good DTs are better than 1

Right, and nobody is advocating not addressing those positions. There’s other rounds and FA. But the BPA is probably going to be a WR at 5. Some boards could have 3 of them in the top 10.

Parsons might be there, but a LB is not great value that high, imo.

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 10:46 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Right, and nobody is advocating not addressing those positions. There’s other rounds and FA. But the BPA is probably going to be a WR at 5. Some boards could have 3 of them in the top 10.

Parsons might be there, but a LB is not great value that high, imo.

And I'm not against addressing WR #3 in other rounds. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 10:50 PM)bfine32 Wrote: And I'm not against addressing WR #3 in other rounds. 

So you’re drafting for need over BPA with a top 5 pick. Got it.

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 10:52 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: So you’re drafting for need over BPA with a top 5 pick. Got it.

Sure. Drafting BPA in a position of need. I guess would could consider Fields if he's still there. 

Reply/Quote
I would be happy with Sewell now that Turner is gone but I can also 100% understand Chase - after Tee and Tyler the quality in the WR room nosedives. And in an offense like Zac favors with a 3 WR base that is a recipe for disaster.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 10:55 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Sure. Drafting BPA in a position of need. I guess would could consider Fields if he's still there. 

Well that would just be silly (obviously). Backup QB is not a starter. A WR is a day 1 starter.

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 10:52 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: So you’re drafting for need over BPA with a top 5 pick. Got it.

Why can't it be both?

Honestly, we've got needs at tackle, guard, receiver, edge rusher, lb and possibly cb.

Where we draft, there's a huge crossroad of bpa and need. 
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 11:00 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Well that would just be silly (obviously). Backup QB is not a starter. A WR is a day 1 starter.

I agree QB is not a need. But we don't know if Fields wouldn't beat out Burrow.

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 11:01 PM)Benton Wrote: Why can't it be both?

Honestly, we've got needs at tackle, guard, receiver, edge rusher, lb and possibly cb.

It's always a compromise. For instance Najee Harris very well may be the best player in this draft, but his position matters. If not Harris it's most likely Pitts, put position matters. So when it comes our turn to draft I hope position matters. 

Reply/Quote

Because only certain players are worth taking that high. For example there’s probably not a pass rusher worth #5 even though it’s arguably our biggest need. That would be a reach.

But in the 2nd round maybe the BPA is a DE and our need/BPA aligns better.

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 01:37 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: So, does this mean its WR and no Sewell, even if Sewell is still on the board?

No.. one I don;t buy we would pass on Sewell and he mentioned playmaker at any position.. so that leaves Defense open also .. there are playmakers on both sides of the ball
Reply/Quote
Parsons is a playmaker at LB.. there are way more good WRs then LBs,, Parsons is by all accounts #1 LB in this draft,, there are like 4 WRs being talked about going as top WR and many other WRS behind them.. it is actually getting harder to find an impact LB than a impact WR in the draft... we could get a impact WR in 2nd round like Higgins but not a impact LB like Parsons in 2nd round.. if we watched both Ravens games and the Browns games this year. we will not complete without a better LB

here is recent NFL draft ranking.. Parsons is sitting at#4 overall in draft.. he would be the BPA plus a major need for Bengals

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospect-rankings/linebackers/
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 11:24 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Parsons is a playmaker at LB.. there are way more good WRs then LBs,, Parsons is by all accounts #1 LB in this draft,, there are like 4 WRs being talked about going as top WR and many other WRS behind them.. it is actually getting harder to find an impact LB than a impact WR in the draft... we could get a impact WR in 2nd round like Higgins but not a impact LB like Parsons in 2nd round.. if we watched both Ravens games and the Browns games this year. we will not complete without a better LB

It's too early to lock into BPA but looking at need is a must.

Walter's latest Mock has Rousseau going at #4

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 11:05 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Because only certain players are worth taking that high. For example there’s probably not a pass rusher worth #5 even though it’s arguably our biggest need. That would be a reach.

But in the 2nd round maybe the BPA is a DE and our need/BPA aligns better.

I'd take rousseau at 5 before a receiver...
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 11:24 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Parsons is a playmaker at LB.. there are way more good WRs then LBs,, Parsons is by all accounts #1 LB in this draft,, there are like 4 WRs being talked about going as top WR and many other WRS behind them.. it is actually getting harder to find an impact LB than a impact WR in the draft... we could get a impact WR in 2nd round like Higgins but not a impact LB like Parsons in 2nd round.. if we watched both Ravens games and the Browns games this year. we will not complete without a better LB

They’re not talking about a LB as a “playmaker” lol

It’s 100% a WR or Pitts they have their eye on.

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 11:29 PM)Benton Wrote: I'd take rousseau at 5 before a receiver...

I wouldn’t.

Give me the guy who outplayed the potential OROY in Justin Jefferson. Kid just broke records held by Randy Moss and Anquan Boldin. And he was second fiddle to Chase at LSU...

Reply/Quote

Honestly, most positions are a "need" for us at this point.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I might be leaning Smith over Chase. Maybe it's been too long and it's a little out of sight, out of mind when it comes to Chase for me right now.

Smith compares to Marvin Harrison and would fit nice with his route running in this offense (along with Chase) if we go receiver.

I'm still hoping to trade back because we just have too many holes.

I hope they don't reach for Slater, who some claim is better than Sewell. I'm not on that bandwagon (yet).

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote