Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
PDJ - Bengals Will Prioritize OL in FA
Pitts would be wasted in this offense.

I wouldn't count on a big Oline signing in FA. Remember, we couldn't get any of the top lb's last year we swung and missed out on all of them. That was with Burrow on his way.

I'm not sold. The FA signings last offseason were nice, but many felt like they were in positions that weren't all that pressing.

Who was paying Trae? Billings was coming off his best year and would have cost far less if we really needed a NT, which at that time we still had Tupou, who also was coming off his best years.

We let go of our best guard for XSF who wasn't anything to right home about.

We were active in FA last offseason, but the signings if we can admit it were questionable.

Even Bell wasn't a need.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 11:52 PM)jj22 Wrote: I might be leaning Smith over Chase. Maybe it's been too long and it's a little out of sight, out of mind when it comes to Chase for me right now.

Smith compares to Marvin Harrison and would fit nice with his route running in this offense (along with Chase) if we go receiver.

I'm still hoping to trade back because we just have too many holes.

I hope they don't reach for Slater, who some claim is better than Sewell. I'm not on that bandwagon (yet).

I too think Smith is more complementary to our current WRs plus dude is the best PR in the nation. 

WTS, I do not want a third WR at #5OA. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 11:34 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I wouldn’t.

Give me the guy who outplayed the potential OROY in Justin Jefferson. Kid just broke records held by Randy Moss and Anquan Boldin. And he was second fiddle to Chase at LSU...

Hey, it's all subjective at this point.

I guess my issue is, we don't need Randy Moss 2.0 to make Joe Burrow get a lot of yards and 2-4 touchdowns. We just need somebody not named AJ Green.

On the other hand, we aren't winning games next year if we're going to get into a habit of giving up 400 yards on the ground.

We need a defensive playmaker. Rousseau has the tools to be that. Nine feet tall, arms like the ropes in a wrestling ring. I'd be cool with taking him and taking somebody later on to drop/be out of position for AJ's share of passes.

(01-03-2021, 11:47 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Honestly, most positions are a "need" for us at this point.

I really think we're about five away. Sure, we need depth at every spot, but as far as starters, we've got a better roster than we did a couple years ago. Couple linemen and an edge rusher will make a huge difference on this team.
Reply/Quote
I'm glad the team will prioritize the OL, but does this mean they're going to go after good players or just find my XSF/Miller players? 

Do we plan on going after Darryl Williams or Taylor Moton? Signing a RT would be great, and I think it still keeps Sewell on the radar if he makes it to 5. The guard market is thin so I expect the top guys to get the money the Bengals pretty much never hand out to guards.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 11:30 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: They’re not talking about a LB as a “playmaker” lol

It’s 100% a WR or Pitts they have their eye on.

Disagree and Parsons is more of a playmaker in our Def than Pitts is in our offense
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 01:32 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Disagree and Parsons is more of a playmaker in our Def than Pitts is in our offense

Nope. It’s the exact opposite. The TE role in today’s game has increased, while the importance of LB has decreased.

The best TE in the league (Kelce) has a far bigger impact than whoever the best LB is these days (Bobby Wagner?)

Reply/Quote
Zach Taylor doesn't run a scheme that really utilizes a pass catching TE. Not saying that can't change, but a better WR would.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk
[Image: Storer50_1.png]
Reply/Quote
I don't necessarily believe in any one type of approach to drafting whether it's need or BPA. Usually BPA is the better bet, because you're getting a higher graded player at his position, but there are some times where need will trump BPA for me. I would approach every draft based on team needs and let them drive my draft approach along with the draftable talent itself.

So some things I would look for:
If two players are very similarly graded, i might go for need even if the grade on the player of need is very slightly less (within a range of two to five). Otherwise, grade wins out.
Of course, some positions will not be considered in the first four rounds (STs players, depth etc.).
I might take a qb in the second (very rare, but he would have to be a borderline starter) or the third round or lower (developmental player), even if I had a starter - one reason is to shore up backup spot, the other is to potentially trade either the depth or starter in a year or two depending on how either progresses in the future.

Need will drive some other decisions - number of spots at that position in a starting lineup, overall how good that spot is on the team etc.. But I would use a general (a bit hard to quantify) concept like overall value to a team might drive a draft even at the expense of needs. Like for WR or DB, you can have multiple spots. Depending on my current team composition in these spots, I might still draft one in the first round here. For example, if you already have a couple solid to good WRs on the team (as we do), I'd still take a Chase, if I thought he would end up as one of the all time great receivers. and perhaps leave a glaring hole in my defensive line (maybe because I think Chase can help the offense put up more points that overall the team will benefit with more wins even with a weaker defense). Not saying that I believe Chase to be that good or not, but just a hypothetical. Or vice versa, if I think Rousseau could be the missing link in the defense going from being ranked in the 20s vs becoming top 10, I might pick him over Chase (if I thought that Chase wouldn't make nearly as much difference, and I could easily get by with Boyd and Higgins). Similarly, while I generally think OT, edge, and CB are premium positions, if I thought there is a once in a generation safety, perhaps I might draft him over a pretty good OT. Although I would have to think about this more. For example, say Polamalu or Ed Reed came out in the same draft as Levi Jones. Maybe I take Ed Reed over Levi. Basically it comes down to what will help the team the most. If I have bad safeties on my team and don't have great FAs available at the position, do I really want to get an average safety in the draft (say in the first two rounds) or do I get an edge rusher even if I already have decent ones like Lawson and Hubbard? I might choose to get the DE (especially if I have him rated as a Pro Bowler or better) even over a good safety (say an All Pro) if I thought the DE might get me more wins. Or maybe if the safety really was worth more wins in my opinion, perhaps I would get the safety over the edge rusher and just get by with Lawson and Hubbard. 

Or if I had a weakness at guard, but there's a great tackle available in the top 10, maybe I take the tackle anyway and move my current tackle over to guard. And wait until next year to draft a really good guard. Or address it already in FA in the same year.

Or if I thought Parsons was the next Ray Lewis, maybe I take him wherever we are in the top 10 and pass up Chase and Devonta Smith ( assuming in this case that adding one of these WRs is like adding Chad Johnson to our already solid WR corps, but adding Parsons is like adding Ray Lewis) or even a "decent" OT like Slater. To me if I could add Chad or Ray or a decent OT to this team, maybe adding Ray helps the team overall much more, and therefore I would choose that option. Again, I'm not saying what order Slater, Chase, Smith, Parsons etc, deserve to be rated, but just that hypothetically if they were rated this way, then I might take Parsons over all of the rest because it helps the team out more.

I feel like I've been rambling here a bit so I will end with this: Everything I've said depends on how you hypothetically rated players, but of course the key thing is ultimately being able to rate players accurately. This is very difficult even for the best drafting teams, and no matter what all teams miss quite a bit, but the best run ones somehow figure out how to rate their players better on average. This is where the Bengals need to invest their efforts to get better scouting and pro personnel management in place.

Edit:
P.S. : I'm no draft guru, but I want Sewell or Chase ,Smith or Pitts if Sewell isn't available.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 01:38 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Nope. It’s the exact opposite. The TE role in today’s game has increased, while the importance of LB has decreased.

The best TE in the league (Kelce) has a far bigger impact than whoever the best LB is these days (Bobby Wagner?)

Khalil Mack? I thought he had a tremendous impact on the Bears.
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
We have to find a way to address OT, OG, DE, CB, WR mainly. DT is an honorable mention. We had injuries and covid optouts there so its hard to put DT higher than the other positions. I dont care if its FA or the draft. We just have to get help in those areas primarily.

As far as the draft I'd be happiest with OT, DE or WR in the 1st round. I wouldnt complain about Pitts either. I dont see LB as a big need since we had so many rookies who had virtually no offseason. Give them another season behind a better and healthier DL and there should be improvements with the young guys. Wilson especially was looking good before he got hurt.
Reply/Quote
I believed this is the way it would go for some time now they'll sign a o lineman or two in free agency. The writing on the wall is already there that green is leaving and they will need and want a replacement. Boyd and Higgins are both #2 type of receivers. Green even though he has sucked this season was still taking up top corners. There's no way you go into next season relying on them as your #1 and two. And have no speed at wideout. That's why my 1a choice is chase because of the burrow connection he will want his friend here. My 1b is smith because he looks damn good and kind of reminds me of green how he talks and plays. I think pitts would be a 3rd and last option for them because hes really a jump ball receiver playing tight end with a slim build. I dont see any difference making defensive guys in this years draft that would look good taking at #5.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 02:23 AM)SladeX Wrote: Khalil Mack? I thought he had a tremendous impact on the Bears.

Mack is an elite pass rusher though. He had 28.5 sacks and 74.5 TFL coming out of college.

Parsons has 6.5 sacks and 18 TFL. I just don’t see an us taking an off the ball LB with a top 5 pick.

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 01:37 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: So, does this mean its WR and no Sewell, even if Sewell is still on the board?

Taking a WR in round 1 this year would be like buying your 12 yr old a Ferrari..... Stupid
Reply/Quote
I think Pitts or Chase will be Bengals pick at #5. Even with Sewell available. Under the Mike Brown era, skill > trenches.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 01:37 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: So, does this mean its WR and no Sewell, even if Sewell is still on the board?

I have never believed the smoke signals from "what I am hearing from the Bengals" and the like in terms of what they are throwing out about the draft, especially in Rd 1.  If Sewell is still there, they will almost assuredly take him.  Unless there is a massive haul of picks to trade down (which I would love) they will take him if he is there.

If he isn't there (and likely will be gone at #3), the Bengals will be in place to draft a guy like Devonta Smith (who I hope goes to the Falcons) or Chase Young (who I think will most likely be our pick) as I don't see any way the Jags and Jets don't go QB with 1 and 2 overall, the Dolphins take Sewell, and then we will be left with one of the two top WRs.  
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 09:53 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: I think Pitts or Chase will be Bengals pick at #5. Even with Sewell available. Under the Mike Brown era, skill > trenches.

Idk, our 1st round picks have been split pretty evenly between the two over the last decade or so.

Skill - Burrow, Ross, Eifert, AJ, Gresham

Trenches - Jonah, Price, Ogbuehi, Zeitler, Smith

He also clearly likes his 1st round CB’s...

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 11:24 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Parsons is a playmaker at LB.. there are way more good WRs then LBs,, Parsons is by all accounts #1 LB in this draft,, there are like 4 WRs being talked about going as top WR and many other WRS behind them.. it is actually getting harder to find an impact LB than a impact WR in the draft... we could get a impact WR in 2nd round like Higgins but not a impact LB like Parsons in 2nd round.. if we watched both Ravens games and the Browns games this year. we will not complete without a better LB

here is recent NFL draft ranking.. Parsons is sitting at#4 overall in draft.. he would be the BPA plus a major need for Bengals

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospect-rankings/linebackers/

That's a tough one.  Maybe a playmaker but not a game breaker.  LB's generally never decide the outcome of a game whereas a playmaking WR can.  I'd rather have a WR score 3 TD's in a game than a linebacker making 10 tackles and 1 pick.  But that's just me, I'll take the points every time.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 10:14 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Idk, our 1st round picks have been split pretty evenly between the two over the last decade or so.

Skill - Burrow, Ross, Eifert, AJ, Gresham

Trenches - Jonah, Price, Ogbuehi, Zeitler, Smith

He also clearly likes his 1st round CB’s...

I guess my thinking is that the Bengals may sign Alexander and WJ3.  Not sure they can find impact players like Chase and Pitts on FA Market.  Pitts should be difficult to negate unless he is injured.  Chase-Burrow would be tough to stop, and upgrade over Green on the outside.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 11:21 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: I guess my thinking is that the Bengals may sign Alexander and WJ3.  Not sure they can find impact players like Chase and Pitts on FA Market.  Pitts should be difficult to negate unless he is injured.  Chase-Burrow would be tough to stop, and upgrade over Green on the outside.  

Pitts is going to be a matchup nightmare. I’m really hoping we take him if Sewell is gone.

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 02:54 AM)BengalsFanRealist2855 Wrote: I believed this is the way it would go for some time now they'll sign a o lineman or two in free agency. The writing on the wall is already there that green is leaving and they will need and want a replacement.  Boyd and Higgins are both #2 type of receivers. Green even though he has sucked this season was still taking up top corners. There's no way you go into next season relying on them as your #1 and two. And have no speed at wideout. That's why my 1a choice is chase because of the burrow connection he will want his friend here. My 1b is smith because he looks damn good and kind of reminds me of green how he talks and plays. I think pitts would be a 3rd and last option for them because hes really a jump ball receiver playing tight end with a slim build. I dont see any difference making defensive guys in this years draft that would look good taking at #5.

Being a Vols/SEC fanatic, I can tell you Pitts is WAY more than a jump ball WR. He is fast, runs good routes and has great hands. AND he can win jump balls. It's just a part of his talents and far from his only talent. He is a matchup nightmare for LBs and even safetys.
Reply/Quote