Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
PFF - OL pressures in AFCCG
Carman - 3 total pressures, 0 sacks. 64.7 pass block grade
Volson - 2 total pressures, 0 sacks. 48.4 pass block grade
Karras - 2 total pressures, 0 sacks. 58.1 pass block grade
Scharping - 9 total pressures, 2 sacks. 23.7 pass block grade
Adeniji - 7 total pressures, 3 sacks. 38.0 pass block grade

So for those that felt Carman actually did solid last night, PFF agrees with you.
They gave Carman the highest pass block grade on the team.

They tagged Scharping and Adeniji for 5 sacks and 16 total pressures between the two.
Their pass blocking grades reflect that, as they are both under 40.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I can't believe our effing o-line effed us again for the 2nd effing year in a row. Dammit!!!!!!!!
Reply/Quote
Thanks for posting. It does make you wonder if the team changes its opinion on Carman after playing well the last two weeks, but with a severely limited sample size. I doesn't seem like Jonah Williams is the long term answer at LT.

Sadly, it looks like if the right side of the OL had played even slightly below average, we might have had a shot. Instead, Adeniji becomes the poster child of our defeat again. Surely he's gone after this debacle.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 03:55 PM)wcu Wrote: Thanks for posting.  It does make you wonder if the team changes its opinion on Carman after playing well the last two weeks, but with a severely limited sample size.  I doesn't seem like Jonah Williams is the long term answer at LT.

Sadly, it looks like if the right side of the OL had played even slightly below average, we might have had a shot.  Instead, Adeniji becomes the poster child of our defeat again.  Surely he's gone after this debacle.

I think at the very least this buys Carman a great shot at Adeniji's swing tackle spot in 2023.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Bengals were fairly healthy last year. Not this year. A lot went Bengals way last year on their magical run. This year, it seemed a lot went against them. Bengals need to replace RT, maybe upgrade depth. Maybe make Volson earn starting LG with draft pick. Carman, if he can take over LT, is huge for the team's effort to rebuild OL.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
I wonder if Carman could steal the LT job away from Jonah in camp?

Carman - Jonah - Karras - Cappa - Collins

Or maybe a high draft pick at RT, and cut Collins. Keep developing Volson, and have him first off the bench at guard.

Reply/Quote
I'm not convinced Carman can play as well on the right side. Sometimes one side is just more natural to a player.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 03:58 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Bengals were fairly healthy last year.  Not this year.  A lot went Bengals way last year on their magical run.  This year, it seemed a lot went against them.  Bengals need to replace RT, maybe upgrade depth.  Maybe make Volson earn starting LG with draft pick.  Carman, if he can take over LT, is huge for the team's effort to rebuild OL.

You're correct about things not going our way. Last year Hilton would have caught that terrible shovel pass. As soon as I saw that hit the ground the thought that this wasn't our year crept into the back of my mind.
Reply/Quote
Don’t know why so many so called sports experts were so confident we would win that game. The past 3 KC games were all close even when we were healthy. I knew our line wouldn’t play as well as they did the week before. I was really hoping it would snow in KC. We need to fix not just the Oline but D line too. We couldn’t get to a gimpy damn QB, I know they held a lot but still. Fix the ****** lines or it won’t matter who is throwing/catching the ball.

I would let Carmen compete at LT with Williams, or see if Williams can transition to RT. We need some Oline depth. It sucks to finally have the Oline gel only to go down just before the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 04:01 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I wonder if Carman could steal the LT job away from Jonah in camp?

Carman - Jonah - Karras - Cappa - Collins

Our maybe a high draft pick at RT, and cut Collins. Keep developing Volson, and have him first off the bench at guard.

I think they're riding with Volson at LG going into next season. I also think Carman deserves a shot to compete the LT job. 
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 03:55 PM)wcu Wrote: Thanks for posting.  It does make you wonder if the team changes its opinion on Carman after playing well the last two weeks, but with a severely limited sample size.  I doesn't seem like Jonah Williams is the long term answer at LT.

Sadly, it looks like if the right side of the OL had played even slightly below average, we might have had a shot.  Instead, Adeniji becomes the poster child of our defeat again.  Surely he's gone after this debacle.

He should not have been on the plane ride home.
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable. "
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 04:05 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I think they're riding with Volson at LG going into next season. I also think Carman deserves a shot to compete the LT job. 

So Jonah to RT in that scenario?

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 04:05 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I think they're riding with Volson at LG going into next season. I also think Carman deserves a shot to compete the LT job. 

I would say we will see Jackson Carman getting the first snap at Left Tackle in the pre-season. We have seen how important that swing tackle position is the last two seasons.

Unless those pesky offseasons continue to get in his way...
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote

Absolutely. He performed admirably when called upon.
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable. "
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 04:07 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: So Jonah to RT in that scenario?

I've always thought that Jonah might be a better RT, but it depends on Collins and how healthy he is, and what they do with him. Besides the ACL/MCL, he also had back problems all year. 
Reply/Quote
I think at a minimum JC's efforts at LT free up the first couple draft rounds for us. IF JC would have been garbage (aka Adeniji) then we would have HAD to look at exterior Oline early. now we only do if one of value falls.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Even when the team had a healthy O-line they were not all that good. They finished #22 in sacks allowed which is an improvement from last year but that is still in the bottom 1/3 of all NFL teams.

The team simply needs better talent in front of Burrow. Jonah gave up a league high number of sacks, Volson struggled and Collins was inconsistent and often injured. Those 3 spots on the O-line need addressed before next season or else it's going to be the same thing as the last 2 years. Burrow getting hit left and right with little time to let routes develop with virtually no running game expecting Burrow to make miracles.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 03:53 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: I can't believe our effing o-line effed us again for the 2nd effing year in a row.   Dammit!!!!!!!!

That's what can happen if you don't really invest in your backups and only in your starters.
I, like some others, said that we were just 1-2 injuries away from having a porous OL again. And it happened.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 04:27 PM)ochocincos Wrote: That's what can happen if you don't really invest in your backups and only in your starters.
I, like some others, said that we were just 1-2 injuries away from having a porous OL again. And it happened.

I thought Scharping was a pretty good investment as a backup (former starter and all). Man what a disappointment he turned out to be.

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 04:25 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Even when the team had a healthy O-line they were not all that good.  They finished #22 in sacks allowed which is an improvement from last year but that is still in the bottom 1/3 of all NFL teams.  

The team simply needs better talent in front of Burrow.  Jonah gave up a league high number of sacks, Volson struggled and Collins was inconsistent and often injured.  Those 3 spots on the O-line need addressed before next season or else it's going to be the same thing as the last 2 years.  Burrow getting hit left and right with little time to let routes develop with virtually no running game expecting Burrow to make miracles.

They allowed 13 sacks in the 1st 2 games, then just 28 over the last 14. They definitely improved during the season. Not saying they were great, but they were solid and that was a huge step up from last year. I think if Cappa and Collins hadn't got hurt, they would be in the SB again. The right of the line was just embarrassing last night and it affected everything the offense was trying to do.
Reply/Quote