Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PJ Dawson Cut!
He is not listed on the practice squad on Bengal.com
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2016, 12:12 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This

And this.

I did not get the impression that Dawson was an a-hole.  But even going back to last year there were hints that he lacked motivation and work ethic.

Lap said he was a chronic late arrival to meetings as well as his attitude. Marv didnt seem real interested and said he wouldn't be surprised if he was claimed (which he wasn't), so they don't seem to be too concerned about him one way or another.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2016, 12:41 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Poor work ethics and his ADHD might have done him in for now, these were known traits of his prior to drafting him, which explains why he fell so far.

I don't expect another team to pick him up, unless they get hit with injuries.

He's a grown man, once the problem has been identified, it's up to him to take the proper steps to control it.  What next?  Is he going to sue the Bengals for discriminating against him, because he has ADHD?  I mean Sarkisian sued USC for discriminating on him for being a drunk...  (I'm just kidding here folks, don't blow a gasket on me..)

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
How bad do you have to be for Mama Marvin to give up on you?

Watch Baltimore and Pitt sign him and win the Lewis/Burfict/Harrison LB lottery.
Reply/Quote
Tampa Bay gave him a tryout. I wonder why Dan Quinn hasn't given him a call. Dude seems right up his alley.
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2016, 08:04 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: How bad do you have to be for Mama Marvin to give up on you?

Watch Baltimore and Pitt sign him and win the Lewis/Burfict/Harrison LB lottery.

(09-06-2016, 08:06 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: Tampa Bay gave him a tryout. I wonder why Dan Quinn hasn't given him a call. Dude seems right up his alley.

Obviously, the kid must be hard to reach. 

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2016, 08:04 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: How bad do you have to be for Mama Marvin to give up on you?

Somewhere between Chad Johnson, Odell Thurman, and Chris Henry...
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2016, 10:32 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Somewhere between Chad Johnson, Odell Thurman, and Chris Henry...

Ouch. HARSH.
Reply/Quote
There are still only 9 players listed on the practice squad.
Reply/Quote
I get the sense Dawson is salty for being cut (would make sense if reports of his attitude issues are true) and would like to seek opportunity elsewhere first.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-07-2016, 10:20 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I get the sense Dawson is salty for being cut (would make sense if reports of his attitude issues are true) and would like to seek opportunity elsewhere first.

Dawson is like any other second year player who has done nothing and got released.  He will jump at the first offer he gets.  The competition for spots is too intense.  He is in no position to be picky about where he plays.
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2016, 10:23 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Dawson is like any other second year player who has done nothing and got released.  He will jump at the first offer he gets.  The competition for spots is to intense.  He is in no position to be picky about where he plays.

Well if the Bengals offered him a spot on the practice squad apparently he is.  Hopefully he changes his mind and is agreeable to making some changes in his behavior.  One year is not a long time to see what you have in a player (as far as his play goes).

He must have had some very serious behavioral problems for Marvin, Guenther and Haslet to let him go after one season and a training camp...
Reply/Quote
I wish no ill will toward him. But a change of scenery might be best.
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2016, 12:37 PM)3wt Wrote: He must have had some very serious behavioral problems for Marvin, Guenther and Haslet to let him go after one season and a training camp...

It is never just about the "behavioral problem".  It is also about production.  If he was blowing people up on the field then he could get away with being a few minutes late to a meeting, but when a player is not producing he has to be busting his ass to get better in order to stay on the roster.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2016, 11:22 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Lot's of people around here were convinced Dawson was the greaes tthing since sliced bread.  I can already see that some of them are a little salty about him being cut.

I liked what I saw from him on tape.  Thought it was a good pick at the time.

If it comes out through the press that he had an attitude problem, then it must be a BIG problem considering the chances we give other players.  Release and on to the PS, is a shock move IMO.  "Clean it up boy or you're done, 3rd round pick or not."  Guess we'll see what happens.
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2016, 06:42 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Lap said he was a chronic late arrival to meetings as well as his attitude. Marv didnt seem real interested and said he wouldn't be surprised if he was claimed (which he wasn't), so they don't seem to be too concerned about him one way or another.

Tough love maybe, but Marvin has a team to run.  He's doesn't have time to coddle babies.
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2016, 01:05 PM)Stewy Wrote: Tough love maybe, but Marvin has a team to run.  He's doesn't have time to coddle babies.

Absolutely

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
According to Jim Owczarski Dawson has been signed to the practice squad. Hopefully he'll get the message and play and behave up to his potential. He is practicing today with the team.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Extremely disappointed. I was hoping having him, Vigil, and Burfict would take our LB core to the next level. This guy is selfish and unprofessional, he doesn't deserve a roster spot right now.
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2016, 01:01 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It is never just about the "behavioral problem".  It is also about production.  If he was blowing people up on the field then he could get away with being a few minutes late to a meeting, but when a player is not producing he has to be busting his ass to get better in order to stay on the roster.

I mean you're right.  But I didn't think he looked that bad on the field.  He looked pretty good against Minnesota - not outstanding, but he was making some nice plays.

I think he had some plays in the next 3 games (don't recall now) where he appeared not to be where he should have been.  Which would be royally frustrating to coaches when he's blowing off meetings.

But someone with his potential...  it just seems that he was worth keeping another year.

We'll see.   One thing I've learned over the last several years is that they don't shoot from the hip.
Reply/Quote