Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Panic Mode
It’s frustrating when they shout #newdey nonstop but nothing has changed. We were a 6-10 team last year that needs several upgrades and everyone that covers football could tell you the Offensive Line and Linebacker were the two biggest areas that was needed. We ended up bringing back the same guys. What is there to be excited about right now? Between the large contracts for Hart and Brown that no other team even wanted last year and the debacle that was the DC search I see a lot of reason to be concerned about the direction this team is going. We all want them to win but I personally will say when I don’t like what they do and hope they prove me wrong. It’s a message board and everyone has their opinions, that’s the point. At the end of the day we would all just love to see the team win.
[Image: fadQsr.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 06:23 PM)Tlawsonmariat82 Wrote: I don't want to hear give the regime a chance or let everything play itself out because we've all watched the movie before and we all know exactly how it ends..The front office don't give a damn about winning it's the truth no getting around it..

How else in the world could you justify treating whit the way they treated him only to overpay hart for pathetic play two years later??We wanna place blame on marvin every chance we get,but tell me who idea was it to absolutely waste a 1st and 2nd round on obghehi and Fisher when we were loaded with talent and could've selected players to further strengthen that roster for win now mode???

Guys I don't see anything different with the way this team is being ran and that should truly trouble each and every Bengals fan;with that being said Mike brown will not get another penny of my money thanks for allowing me to vent...

Not sure I am clear on what exactly you are claiming.

Are you saying that every team that ever let an aging star walk in order to replace him before he loses his skill does not care about winning?

Are you saying that every team that misses on a first round pick does not care about winning?

If so then I have a lot of examples of top winning teams who missed on first round picks and also let aging stars walk "a year early instead of a year late".

And, although I am not satisfied with just making the playoffs and having winning records I must point out that the Bengals the last 16 years under Marvin Lewis had a winning record and went to the playoffs more than most other teams despite having to play in one of the toughest divisions in the league.

"Victim mentality" is taking this country by storm.  I don't know why people have to exaggerate and even make stuff up just so they can cry louder.  The Bengals have not been as successful as any of us want recently, but they have been far from "clueless" and their is no reason to turn their lack of football acumen into a personal attack.  Why can't we say they have not done a good job?  Why do we have to make them evil and uncaring to explain our failures on the field?  Does that give the victim card more value in some peoples eyes?
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 07:09 PM)JungleRock85 Wrote: It’s frustrating when they shout #newdey nonstop but nothing has changed. We were a 6-10 team last year that needs several upgrades and everyone that covers football could tell you the Offensive Line and Linebacker were the two biggest areas that was needed. We ended up bringing back the same guys. What is there to be excited about right now? Between the large contracts for Hart and Brown that no other team even wanted last year and the debacle that was the DC search I see a lot of reason to be concerned about the direction this team is going. We all want them to win but I personally will say when I don’t like what they do and hope they prove me wrong. It’s a message board and everyone has their opinions, that’s the point. At the end of the day we would all just love to see the team win.

Right on. Much like people overestimated the impact Pollack would make on the offensive line, they overestimate the impact new coaches will have on our players.

Austin came in and changed the scheme and the defense failed bigtime.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 07:11 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Not sure I am clear on what exactly you are claiming.

Are you saying that every team that ever let an aging star walk in order to replace him before he loses his skill does not care about winning?

Are you saying that every team that misses on a first round pick does not care about winning?

If so then I have a lot of examples of top winning teams who missed on first round picks and also let aging stars walk "a year early instead of a year late".

And, although I am not satisfied with just making the playoffs and having winning records I must point out that the Bengals the last 16 years under Marvin Lewis had a winning record and went to the playoffs more than most other teams despite having to play in one of the toughest divisions in the league.

"Victim mentality" is taking this country by storm.  I don't know why people have to exaggerate and even make stuff up just so they can cry louder.  The Bengals have not been as successful as any of us want recently, but they have been far from "clueless" and their is no reason to turn their lack of football acumen into a personal attack.  Why can't we say they have not done a good job?  Why do we have to make them evil and uncaring to explain our failures on the field?  Does that give the victim card more value in some peoples eyes?
In the end what i was basically saying about the whitworth situation was how can you in good conscience tell whit he wasn't worth overpaying only to overpay hart 2 years later??that to me feels like a gut punch, how on god's green earth do you pay a turnstile like Bobby hart 7mill a year??can anyone tell me that a competent organization would pay a player like Bobby hart 7mill a year??absolutely not this move alone shows the incompetence of the whole organization...
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 07:11 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Not sure I am clear on what exactly you are claiming.

Recently?  Recently?  hahaha.   When was that last playoff win?   This team is cheap.  End Stop.   Other teams use guaranteed up front money to get good free agents, we won't.  We get the scrubs.  Always have, always will.   
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 06:23 PM)Tlawsonmariat82 Wrote: I don't want to hear give the new regime a chance or let everything play itself out because we've all watched this movie before and we all know exactly how it ends..The front office don't give a damn about winning it's the truth no getting around it..

How else in the world could you justify treating whit the way they treated him only to overpay hart for pathetic play two years later??We wanna place blame on marvin every chance we get,but tell me who idea was it to absolutely waste a 1st and 2nd round on obghehi and Fisher when we were loaded with talent and could've selected players to further strengthen that roster for win now mode???

Guys I don't see anything different with the way this team is being ran and that should truly trouble each and every Bengals fan;with that being said Mike brown will not get another penny of my money thanks for allowing me to vent...
send letters,faxs,e-mails,tweet and anything all of us can do to ZT and the front office about how we feel with the way things are going,Bringing back Hart did it for me,someone is clueless, and he will get dalton killed,dude cannot and should not be in the lineup.He is too small,not strong enough and gets manhandled every game.I mean he was the worst RT in decades,dude simply cannot handle big D-linemen and he is here for big money.Everyone on here should voice our big time concerns about this awlful,stupid move.I am so ticked off about this,how stupid is this new staff.This guy will be no better,he allowed 10 sacks,and jumped off sides 12 times .This is insane. Sad Cry
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 06:30 PM)NKURyan Wrote: Hindsight is a funny thing. As far as the Whitworth thing is concerned, I suspect many who bash the Bengals for not re-signing their veteran OT are the same fans who bashed the Bengals for re-signing Willie Anderson all those years ago.

It was not their idea to waste a 1st and 2nd round pick. They picked those guys because they figured at least one of them would work out. Many draft gurus had Fisher pegged to go higher than we took him, IIRC. In the end neither worked out and they missed on both, but to suggest that whiffing on these guys was part of some grand plan is pretty ridiculous.

Why do the people who talk about how we've been down this road time and time again and that we know how it will end keep showing up around here? If you have that little faith in them, just move on with your life. Some of you guys act like you're being forced to follow this team at gunpoint lol.
I call it slow learner syndrome.  If someone says the Bengals have been doing this for 28 years and hasn't yet been educated on the futility of getting bent out of shape over what the Bengals do, that is the very definition of a slow learner.

Our past success is directly related to superior coaching and/or being able to assemble one group of players able to make a run.  It hasn't changed.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 08:34 PM)McC Wrote: Our past success is directly related to superior coaching and/or being able to assemble one group of players able to make a run.  It hasn't changed.

They've put together 2 entirely different rosters that made multiple playoff runs in the last 15 years - Palmer's Bengals, and Dalton's Bengals. The front office built the 2011-2015 Bengals playoff roster essentially from scratch. And folks still want to act like they have absolutely no clue what they are doing because they've had 3 down years? I just don't get it.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 08:02 PM)Tlawsonmariat82 Wrote: In the end what i was basically saying about the whitworth situation was how can you in good conscience tell whit he wasn't worth overpaying only to overpay hart 2 years later??that to me feels like a gut punch, how on god's green earth do you pay a turnstile like Bobby hart 7mill a year??can anyone tell me that a competent organization would pay a player like Bobby hart 7mill a year??absolutely not this move alone shows the incompetence of the whole organization...

They're not paying him 7 a year, are they?  
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 08:41 PM)McC Wrote: They're not paying him 7 a year, are they?  

3 years 21 million...
Reply/Quote

In year 1 they are and if he hits escalators they will. The escalators look easy to hit like are you active on game day. Are you on the roster?

I've read the Bengals alleged response to a disgruntled fan on twitter about the Hart signing. Its VERY clear that signing him was the coaching staffs call. They really like him for whatever reason. I doubt they did this to waive him after 1 year.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 08:45 PM)Tlawsonmariat82 Wrote: 3 years 21 million...

That's max if he hits all escalators. Its $16 million min. $21 million max.

He likely finishes somewhere in between. But, the escalators look easy to hit.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 08:47 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: That's max if he hits all escalators. Its $16 million min. $21 million max.

He likely finishes somewhere in between. But, the escalators look easy to hit.

It should've been more like 3 years 8mill..
Reply/Quote

The Bengals aren't, but tell these guys that, they're on a roll!  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
Since there is so much predicting the future going on...

What if Hart is a better player in his second year here? What if Turner really does see in him what he says he does and can bring it out? And is it impossible that we find a better one on day 2 of the draft?

Are we looking better yet?

What if Jefferson really does have potential that is realized this season? There's one speed LB. Maybe they see a way to find another in the draft.

Maybe CJ Uzomah, who has improved each year, takes another step this year and we find another good one among the many in the draft? Are we okay at TE now?

How about if we better utilize Ross and Gio and Josh Malone steps up? Maybe we find a good one day 2 to add to the mix.

What if Rod Taylor or Westerman are the answer at RG? Or if Hopkins goes back to C and Price is the answer at RG?

Maybe we should have gone after Jordan Hicks. OTOH:

"The Eagles are going to lose linebacker Jordan Hicks to the Arizona Cardinals. Hicks is set to a sign a four-year, $36 million contract, according to the NFL Network.

Hicks, 26, has been a productive player for the Eagles for the past four years -- when healthy. His problem has been a series of injuries that have caused him to miss time in three of his four seasons with the Eagles, including during their Super Bowl run. Hicks has been absent for 21 regular-season games and finished two seasons on injured reserve. But when Hicks is on the field, he’s a skilled all-around linebacker that the Eagles must replace. He’s also a respected leader in the locker room."

https://www.philly.com/eagles/jordan-hicks-signs-cardinals-eagles-free-agency-linebackers-20190312.html

Wait a minute--

Are we tired of frequently injured LB's or only our own frequently inured ones?

I will say I can't make sense of the Giants seeming to be so intent on making the Browns better at their own expense. They look great on paper, for sure. But how will they handle being expected to win from day one? If our history damns us, what does their history say about them? Weird thing about the NFL--early favorites don't always get to the finishe line. They stayed very healthy last year. Can they do it two years in a row? the Jags were the next big thing in '17 and won five in '18.

There's a lot more tape on Mayfield and Kitchens and there will be a lot of hands looking for the ball. Chemistry doesn't always happen overnight. There's really only one sure thing in the NFL and it lives in New England.

Reply/Quote
Yup, panic mode, lol.
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 09:22 PM)McC Wrote: Since there is so much predicting the future going on...

What if Hart is a better player in his second year here?  What if Turner really does see in him what he says he does and can bring it out?  And is it impossible that we find a better one on day 2 of the draft?

What if Jefferson really does have potential that is realized this season?  There's one speed LB.  Maybe they see a way to find another in the draft.

Maybe CJ Uzomah, who has improved each year, takes another step this year and we find another good one among the many in the draft? Are we okay at TE now?  

How about if we better utilize Ross and Gio and Josh Malone steps up?  Maybe we find a good one day 2 to add to the mix.

What if Rod Taylor or Westerman are the answer at RG?  Or if Hopkins goes back to C and Price is the answer at RG?

Maybe we should have gone after Jordan Hicks.  OTOH:

"The Eagles are going to lose linebacker Jordan Hicks to the Arizona Cardinals. Hicks is set to a sign a four-year, $36 million contract, according to the NFL Network.

Hicks, 26, has been a productive player for the Eagles for the past four years -- when healthy. His problem has been a series of injuries that have caused him to miss time in three of his four seasons with the Eagles, including during their Super Bowl run. Hicks has been absent for 21 regular-season games and finished two seasons on injured reserve. But when Hicks is on the field, he’s a skilled all-around linebacker that the Eagles must replace. He’s also a respected leader in the locker room."

https://www.philly.com/eagles/jordan-hicks-signs-cardinals-eagles-free-agency-linebackers-20190312.html

Wait a minute--

Are we tired of frequently injured LB's or only our own frequently inured ones?

I will say I can't make sense of the Giants seeming to be so intent on making the Browns better at their own expense.  They look great on paper, for sure.  But how will they handle being expected to win from day one?  If our history damns us, what does their history say about them?  Weird thing about the NFL--early favorites don't always get to the finished line.  They stayed very healthy last year.  Can they do it two years in a row?  the Jags were the next big thing in '17 and won five in '18.

There's a lot more tape on Mayfield and Kitchens and there will be a lot of hands looking for the ball.  Chemistry doesn't always happen overnight.  There's really only one sure thing in the NFL and it lives in New England.

A hopeful fan? BURN HIM!  Sarcasm
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 08:41 PM)NKURyan Wrote: They've put together 2 entirely different rosters that made multiple playoff runs in the last 15 years - Palmer's Bengals, and Dalton's Bengals. The front office built the 2011-2015 Bengals playoff roster essentially from scratch. And folks still want to act like they have absolutely no clue what they are doing because they've had 3 down years? I just don't get it.

Does this organization ever do anything you're critical of? You are drunk on the orange kool aid.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 04:40 PM)NKURyan Wrote: I guess going into a panic and throwing a financially stupid contract at one of these free agents would change that? 

No...but perhaps tweaking how this team operates is in order?

No more hoarding compensatory picks? No more keeping dead weight players just to avoid a little dead money?

If we didn't do those things religiously, this team would be able to operate like a normal franchise. Seriously...no team operates just like the Bengals. 

(03-13-2019, 12:43 PM)fredtoast Wrote: My comments were not about fans complaining.  They were about the people who have an unhealthy obsession with whining and crying.  There is one member here who gets so much pleasure from complaining that he has averaged 100 posts a day each of the last two days repeating the same lines over and over again.  That is a post ever 8 minutes for 12 hours each day.

I have posted how I feel.  I am disappointed in the Hart contract, but not that upset with anything else.  A large portion of big first day free agent signings fail.  The teams that dump huge money on the top rated free agents often end up having to dump them and eat dead cap space before they play out their contracts.

I want the Bengals to be active in free agency, but I am not a big believer in overpaying to get the highest rated free agents.  My model would be what we did in 2011 when we re-built our defense by signing three ne starters in free agency.  None of them were among the highest paid that their position, but they all had lots of starting experience and solid production.  The problem is that the Bengals often also skip this middle tier of free agents and settle for low rated bargain bin type players. If they do that agin this year I will complain again.  But it will take w while to see who we end up with.

Every year I hear the same thing about how the Browns are going to be winners because of their great offseason moves.  Last year they had a losing record, a 30th ranked defense, and only one victory against a team with a winning record.  Some people act like they were playoff contenders, but I was not that impressed.  

This offseason they have added some players but they also lost an elite OG and replaced him with a guy who played 14 snaps as a rookie last year.  And they also lost a Pro Bowl level safety in Jamie Collins.

Stop singling out other posters, Fred. I'm sure you wouldn't like if someone pointed out your posting history. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 09:46 PM)NKURyan Wrote: A hopeful fan? BURN HIM!  Sarcasm

All I'm trying to say is ...MAYBE...the sky has not fallen yet.

Reply/Quote