Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Panthers & Chargers request Callahan Interview
(01-09-2024, 11:20 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: LA Wink

I know, I called the Raiders Oakland, 2 weeks ago :$

All those Southern California cities run into each other

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(01-09-2024, 03:27 PM)jj22 Wrote: Legit Lou replacement just shook free in Vrabel.

I don't hear his name coming up tho. I still have faith in Lou (with an experienced / savvy defense). But it's shaken. My concern if he got a HC job would be if there was a legit replacement option. Vrabel would be (if he was interested in a DC position).

I'm hoping Mike Vrabel goes back to Ohio State.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Chargers seem like a much more attractive position, but that FO is going to have to do some gymnastics with their cap situation. And some of those decisions are with big names like Mack, Allen, Williams etc.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2024, 11:34 PM)jason Wrote: I'm hoping Mike Vrabel goes back to Ohio State.

There's some thought that Robert Kraft might pivot and make a hard run to bring Vrabel in.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2024, 01:11 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: If they offer Callahan the job he's going to need to take that into consideration. Questionable owner, questionable QB1, dubious draft capital. Surely there are better situations to go into.

I have to imagine it's hard to pass up such an exclusive position, but the option is there to spend another year with Zac and Burrow. I think Callahan can afford to be patient.

While logic says this should be 100% true, it's really all about the money in the end though.  Think of how many players leave good teams, to go to really bad ones, just because they hit the lottery with a huge contract.  Imagine Carolina offers Tee a huge contract....logically you would think that he would rather be on a good team with Burrow, Chase, etc. but I would bet he would fly in a second, just for the $$$ and I don't blame him.  Coaches are the same.  Poor owner, not a great QB, etc. but a huge payday is what it's all about.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2024, 07:56 AM)No-huddle Joe Wrote: While logic says this should be 100% true, it's really all about the money in the end though.  Think of how many players leave good teams, to go to really bad ones, just because they hit the lottery with a huge contract.  Imagine Carolina offers Tee a huge contract....logically you would think that he would rather be on a good team with Burrow, Chase, etc. but I would bet he would fly in a second, just for the $$$ and I don't blame him.  Coaches are the same.  Poor owner, not a great QB, etc. but a huge payday is what it's all about.

Lou probabaly won't get interview requests this year and will be back for his 5th season as the DC. We can discuss holding out for better opportunities but they aren't opportunities that come up every season so you have to strike while the iron is hot. 

Brian Callahan is the first interview for these teams because he's not in the playoffs. He will be competing against guys like Lions Ben Johnson and Ravens Mike McDonald/Todd Monken so there is a strong possibility Callahan is back in Cincy for 2024. I wouldn't say staying a coordinator in Cincy is earning HC opportunities even when they are winning. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-09-2024, 11:13 PM)QueenCity Wrote: Chargers would be a good spot

Yeah, if he gets offered that one, he should jump all over it.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
If a Callahan-Herbert duo wins a Super Bowl before Taylor-Burrow then count me among the Bengals fans who will make woe-is-me and emotionally driven posts about the Football Gods and fate being cruel to us.

Bonus misery: The Super Bowl winning Chargers also do so after drafting Bowers, TE.

Who Dey Cry Gaah
Reply/Quote
I'm surprised some Bengals fans think our coaching staff doesn't need to be shaken up, is there anyone here that thinks that? Like not even Pollack? Apparently Zac doesn't think so.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2024, 12:32 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: I'm surprised some Bengals fans think our coaching staff doesn't need to be shaken up, is there anyone here that thinks that? Like not even Pollack? Apparently Zac doesn't think so.

I offer that Zac's comments seemed definitive enough that many of us decided not to discuss coaching changes since they won't be happening. I won't speculate since Zac directly told us his staff is returning next season.

Good luck to Callahan though in his head coaching interviews! If he lands a new job, then it will be interest to discuss our new OC.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2024, 12:32 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: I'm surprised some Bengals fans think our coaching staff doesn't need to be shaken up, is there anyone here that thinks that? Like not even Pollack? Apparently Zac doesn't think so.

6 years is a long time for a staff. If coaches and their staff is any good, shakeups would happen due to coaches being promotions to HC/OC/DC positions with other teams.

You can't say the league doesn't trust Bengals Coaches. Hue, Zimmer, Gruden all got HC jobs before their 6th season in a Coordinator role with the team.

I think fresh eyes is sorely needed on Offense. The system is stale, and has never quite reached it's potential. With the talent on offense, they should have been averaging more points per game then they have the last 3 years.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2024, 12:41 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Good luck to Callahan though in his head coaching interviews! If he lands a new job, then it will be interest to discuss our new OC.

Pitcher? Maybe it'll be interesting to discuss our new QB coach.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
I feel like someone posted a chart here that showed over time the Bengals WRs have some of the least separation in the league. That has to be coaching and scheming. How can you not get Ja'marr wide open like Hill is every play?

Before we say the OL doesn't give them time the chart was based over time (so given the amount of time, they still had poor separation).
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2024, 12:49 PM)jj22 Wrote: Pitcher? Maybe it'll be interesting to discuss our new QB coach.

Seems a great first interview if needed
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2024, 11:42 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: Chargers seem like a much more attractive position, but that FO is going to have to do some gymnastics with their cap situation. And some of those decisions are with big names like Mack, Allen, Williams etc.

It starts with a QB and Herbert is considered good. I've read that Harbaugh may end up in SD.

As far as Carolina, that owner seems hard to work for. Fires coaches often. I just think it's a bad situation.

Bryce Young may be a bust too.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2024, 12:58 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: I feel like someone posted a chart here that showed over time the Bengals WRs have some of the least separation in the league. That has to be coaching and scheming. How can you not get Ja'marr wide open like Hill is every play?

Before we say the OL doesn't give them time the chart was based over time (so given the amount of time, they still had poor separation).

Yes. Chase gets open.

The other guys are just slower.

They need to make sure to keep adding speed to offense at RB and WR.
Reply/Quote
If Trey Brown gets the General Manager position in Las Vegas you could see them hiring Callahan as HC and Bettcher as DC with an outside chance Troy Walters at OC. If that happens the Raiders would be the one team in the NFL I could see trading for Browning as a veteran backup for a possible young QB.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Justin Melo, from The Draft Network, is saying that the Titans also want to interview Callahan.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2024, 12:49 PM)jj22 Wrote: Pitcher? Maybe it'll be interesting to discuss our new QB coach.

I think Pitcher is the obvious choice, but as bfine suggested in a post what if Callahan take Pitcher with him?
Reply/Quote

Who besides Pollack?
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote