Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pence Staged Exit.
(10-10-2017, 12:00 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: It is interesting, it would have been smart to do, but when has Goodell ever done something smart?  The NBA has this rule, and has for some time.  I'm not even going to look into it, but I'm willing to bet heavily the NBA made this rule after that muslim player on the Knicks started protesting the National Anthem in the mid/late 90's.  They nipped that in the bud and it was a smart business decision to do so.

One thing that is constantly ignored in the national discussion on these protests is that these guys are protesting, in uniform, at their place of employment.  The 1st amendment does not protect you from expressing your views at your place of employment, so limiting the ability to protest would in no way violate anyone's constitutional rights.  I found myself in the rare position of agreeing with Stephen A. Smith the other day, Trump has poisoned these protests (although I believe Kaepernick did a good job of that on his own) and they no longer mean what they where meant to mean by many.  What many people don't get is that you don't get to decide how your actions are perceived by others.  I'm afraid the dye is well and truly cast on this subject for most Americans, on both sides.

The NBA did come up with that rule because of Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf. I'm surprised how little he's been brought up during this news story. When I first heard about Kaepernick's sitting last summer, Abdul-Rauf was the first thing that came to mind. Heads would have literally exploded had this been a Muslim at the center of the controversy in the post 9/11 world. That Alabama rally with Trump would have gotten very lively.

Abdul Rauf actually played for the Nuggets at the time. They get very little national TV time, and he had been sitting on the bench for quite some time before it even became a story. Of course the ensuing outrage forced David Stern's hand, and he enacted the current rule. Abdul-Rauf then began to stand with his arms in a posture for prayer. Of course to many, this was just as bad, and he was pelted with objects from the stands. His teammates began to stand around him to discourage such asshole behavior from fans, but the whole thing effectively ended his career. I just read a follow-up on him the other day. He doesn't regret a thing, and would do it again.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
(10-10-2017, 12:12 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I don't even know what all this is about. LOL

I have been paying more attention to the Redskins this year than the Steelers.

From what I read, Tomlin's answer to the flag issue was to just remove his team from the issue, hang out in the locker room. According to what Vlad posted, that's no longer an alternative. They'll have to take the field and stand or kneel or whatever. 

Although, they may have been doing this after the first instance, I don't know. Haven't caught a Steelers game this season. 

(10-10-2017, 12:17 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: So have Republicans just ditched the whole fiscal responsibility approach or was that just a load of crap to begin with?

The party gave that up a few decades ago. Which spurred the rise of the Tea Party, which was subsequently taken over by the same fiscally irresponsible  people who messed up the GOP in the first place. Now they're back on track to increase deficit spending, increase taxes on the middle class and lower taxes on upper and lower income brackets. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(10-10-2017, 01:39 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Insanity: Libs feigning outrage about Pence feigning outrage.

As to the whole kneeling thing allow me to share an analogy:

If I walk into a club, see a lady with a wedding band on, still throw the bfine moves on her, and take her back to the bcrib. Have I disrespected anyone or anything?

No, but she has.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
(10-10-2017, 01:50 PM)jason Wrote: The NBA did come up with that rule because of Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf. I'm surprised how little he's been brought up during this news story. When I first heard about Kaepernick's sitting last summer, Abdul-Rauf was the first thing that came to mind. Heads would have literally exploded had this been a Muslim at the center of the controversy in the post 9/11 world. That Alabama rally with Trump would have gotten very lively.

Abdul Rauf actually played for the Nuggets at the time. They get very little national TV time, and he had been sitting on the bench for quite some time before it even became a story. Of course the ensuing outrage forced David Stern's hand, and he enacted the current rule. Abdul-Rauf then began to stand with his arms in a posture for prayer. Of course to many, this was just as bad, and he was pelted with objects from the stands. His teammates began to stand around him to discourage such asshole behavior from fans, but the whole thing effectively ended his career. I just read a follow-up on him the other day. He doesn't regret a thing, and would do it again.

I too turned to thoughts of Chris Jackson (aka Rauf). The obvious difference is Social media. EVERYBODY now gets to be a sociologist
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(10-10-2017, 01:50 PM)jason Wrote: The NBA did come up with that rule because of Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf. I'm surprised how little he's been brought up during this news story. When I first heard about Kaepernick's sitting last summer, Abdul-Rauf was the first thing that came to mind. Heads would have literally exploded had this been a Muslim at the center of the controversy in the post 9/11 world. That Alabama rally with Trump would have gotten very lively.

Must have been long after I stopped watching NBA games.

Good to know that the fans remained respectful during the anthem.  I'm sure they were standing, hats off, hands over heart...while throwing things at the man praying.

Jebus.  People are horrible.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(10-10-2017, 10:18 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: So, Trump's recent tweet about changing tax laws to punish the NFL over player protests, would be a violation of the first amendment. And, since when do Republicans want more government control over what private businesses do?

He's not really a republican. He just hijacked their party, (not unlike the hijacking he laid on the NFL players' protests), and bullied their lame candidates on TV.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
(10-10-2017, 01:50 PM)Benton Wrote: From what I read, Tomlin's answer to the flag issue was to just remove his team from the issue, hang out in the locker room. According to what Vlad posted, that's no longer an alternative. They'll have to take the field and stand or kneel or whatever. 

Although, they may have been doing this after the first instance, I don't know. Haven't caught a Steelers game this season. 

The party gave that up a few decades ago. Which spurred the rise of the Tea Party, which was subsequently taken over by the same fiscally irresponsible  people who messed up the GOP in the first place. Now they're back on track to increase deficit spending, increase taxes on the middle class and lower taxes on upper and lower income brackets. 

Steelers all stood last week according to the radio broadcast.
(10-10-2017, 01:54 PM)GMDino Wrote: Must have been long after I stopped watching NBA games.

Good to know that the fans remained respectful during the anthem.  I'm sure they were standing, hats off, hands over heart...while throwing things at the man praying.

Jebus.  People are horrible.

I believe it was in the 97 season or so. His birth name was Chris Jackson. He was Shaquille O'Neal's teammate at LSU. He played with Tourrettes syndrome. The only pro athlete I know of to do so.

It wasn't nearly the story that this has been. Today though? Mosques would be burning.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
(10-10-2017, 01:56 PM)jason Wrote: I believe it was in the 97 season or so. His birth name was Chris Jackson. He was Shaquille O'Neal's teammate at LSU. He played with Tourrettes syndrome. The only pro athlete I know of to do so.

Tim Howard (professional soccer player and US National team goalie) has Tourette's

(10-10-2017, 01:56 PM)jason Wrote: I believe it was in the 97 season or so. His birth name was Chris Jackson. He was Shaquille O'Neal's teammate at LSU. He played with Tourrettes syndrome. The only pro athlete I know of to do so.

It wasn't nearly the story that this has been. Today though? Mosques would be burning.

Oh yeah, by then I was married with a kid on the way and changing jobs!  LOL!

Interesting though.  I'll have to go back and look at it.  Thanks.
Again....when everyone in the stands, concession stands, bathrooms, in the bars, at home, all stand at attention during the anthem then I'll care. Until everyone actually "respects" the flag then it is hilariously hypocritical to even care about this.
(10-10-2017, 01:39 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Insanity: Libs feigning outrage about Pence feigning outrage.

As to the whole kneeling thing allow me to share an analogy:

If I walk into a club, see a lady with a wedding band on, still throw the bfine moves on her, and take her back to the bcrib. Have I disrespected anyone or anything?

Yes, but to make the analogy complete, the person whose wife you just took home would also have to be a serial adulterer who then gets mad because you disrespected him and his marriage while ignoring the fact he does it on a constant basis himself.
(10-10-2017, 02:57 PM)Au165 Wrote: Again....when everyone in the stands, concession stands, bathrooms, in the bars, at home, all stand at attention during the anthem then I'll care. Until everyone actually "respects" the flag then it is hilariously hypocritical to even care about this.

But by Gawd, they stand for the flag at EVERY NASCAR event!
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

(10-10-2017, 03:18 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: But by Gawd, they stand for the flag at EVERY NASCAR event!

Which flag?

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
(10-10-2017, 01:55 PM)GMDino Wrote: Steelers all stood last week according to the radio broadcast.

I’m pretty sure they stayed in the locker room for the whole game.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(10-10-2017, 03:33 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I’m pretty sure they stayed in the locker room for the whole game.

That would have been better than being on the field running that game plan.
(10-10-2017, 03:25 PM)jason Wrote: Which flag?

88, 3, 24, 48, 20, 18....mainly. But every once in awhile you'll see the Stars and Stripes......and the Stars n Bars, so you get a plethora of different flags. And by Gawd, they stand for them all!
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

(10-10-2017, 04:14 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: 88, 3, 24, 48, 20, 18....mainly. But every once in awhile you'll see the Stars and Stripes......and the Stars n Bars, so you get a plethora of different flags. And by Gawd, they stand for them all!

I was messing with you. I was fishing for the Confederate flag.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
(10-10-2017, 10:23 AM)jason Wrote: It is hard to argue against that. He's completely hijacked their lil protest. Everyone is talking about veterans, and flags, and disrespect.

Yup. And say what you want about trump.. he is a lot of flaws. But he has crushed the left at their own game.
(10-10-2017, 03:04 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Yes, but to make the analogy complete, the person whose wife you just took home would also have to be a serial adulterer who then gets mad because you disrespected him and his marriage while ignoring the fact he does it on a constant basis himself.

So you say I've disrespected someone? 

As to your addition to the analogy: How am I to know that?