Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Perine is better than Mixon
People keep saying Mixon is more of a home run threat but that’s just it, he hasn’t been. The fact we are having this conversation shows the level of frustration we have with Mixon. Throw the Carolina game out and this is a no brainer. But we all know it won’t happen.
Reply/Quote
I would rather have a guy that can keep the chains moving and Burrow upright. Than a guy who might bust a 30 yard run once every 100 Carry’s as he whiffs on blocks getting Burrow hit more.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2022, 11:17 PM)Wyche Wrote: .....and then came back down to earth the very next week before getting injured, while Perine scored 3TDs. He also is a liability in pass protection, two fold. One, if he's in, he sucks at it. Two, we have to sub for him, making us more predictable. 

It's not nearly as foolish as some of you guys think. Numbers don't lie.

He didn't "come back down to earth."  They were playing the Steelers which is a much tougher front.  Mixon played just 14 snaps.  He averaged more per catch and more per run in that game than Perine.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2022, 05:05 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I don't have a hard opinion on this, but I keep my mind open.

I'm sure many of you would've thought it was stupid to start Rudi over Dillon back in 2003.

Corey Dillon was a better back than Rudi ever was.  His problem in 2003 had everything to do with attitude and very little to do with ability (or even injuries). Dillon had become a distraction at a time when the team was trying to start from a clean slate.

Mixon is nothing like that.  By all accounts, he's been nothing but a consummate teammate - a guy that broke records just a few games ago. You want to set him aside for a guy who has just been a capable substitute?

A lot has been made of the fact that Rudi broke Dillon's season rushing record, but he did it on more carries.  He came nowhere near Dillon's career numbers in spite of playing on better Bengal teams than Dillon ever did.  In the year that Rudi broke his record, Dillon out-rushed him for the Patriots on his way to winning a Super Bowl ring.

Reply/Quote
I say we give Perine the start and let Mixon have a hefty amount of carries getting back up to speed and semi challenge him to take his featured spot back. To be fair the offensive line has been so much better around that Panthers game. Is Perine that much better or is the line itself finally getting up to speed.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2022, 01:23 AM)Roland Wrote: He didn't "come back down to earth."  They were playing the Steelers which is a much tougher front.  Mixon played just 14 snaps.  He averaged more per catch and more per run in that game than Perine.

....by like 2/10ths, lol. The point was Mixon's had one good game, and it was an inferior opponent. Also, Samaje had three tuddies that game. Don't gloss over that. Now, it very well could be that Joe's ankle was worse than they let on. If that's the case, rest him until it's 100%, because we don't need him to be successful, and we don't need him out there less than full speed.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-06-2022, 12:22 AM)sandwedge Wrote: IDK, he looked pretty good taking that screen pass last season to the house from about 40 out... Wasn't that against the Chiefs?

In the AFCCG, no less......

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Sometimes it feels like Mixon is always looking for the big run, hence the tap-dancing and hesitation in the backfield. High risk, high reward.

Perine just plows for yards.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2022, 09:53 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Play them both. It's what Dallas does. Doesn't have to be 1 or the other.

No it doesn't but whoever keeps Burrow upright and most importantly injury free needs to be the one.
Reply/Quote
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2022, 03:04 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: mixon is too in love with trying to juke and cut outside. Perine's style of just hitting the hole works way better

samaje isnt going down easy, and his stiff arms are unreal.

Mixons style was determined by the blocking scheme we used to start the year. The outside zone scheme was trash. 

Ever since they switched to gap Mixon has been more of a downhill runner. Hence his increased production of late. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Perine has performed better than I expected him to this season and he's been solid, but let's not act like he's the second coming of Derrick Henry.

Since taking over for Mixon, here are his rushing stats:
Rushing Attempts = 49
Rushing Yards = 194
YPC = 3.96

That's basically the same as Mixon's season average of 3.83.

Both Perine and Mixon are good receivers, and Perine is a big dude, so I would look to occasionally put both of them on the field.
Have Mixon run behind Perine sometimes.
Have one/both of them go out for a pass while both are in.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-06-2022, 12:46 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Mixons style was determined by the blocking scheme we used to start the year. The outside zone scheme was trash. 

Ever since they switched to gap Mixon has been more of a downhill runner. Hence his increased production of late. 

Outside zone works fine...if you have the OL equipped to handle it.
But the OL they added in the offseason weren't very good at moving so much laterally, so they had to adjust the scheme to fit.
Props to Pollack/Callahan/Taylor for adjusting the rushing scheme when the original plan wasn't working.
Shame it wasn't figured out in the preseason though.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
What the current situation illustrates is it’s foolish to pay a RB premium money if they’re not elite. Mixon is paid like he’s elite, but he’s not. The Bengals would be better off to accrue mid-late round RB talent on the cheap and continue to invest into the trenches and WR with the savings. Paying Mixon was dumb.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2022, 01:10 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Outside zone works fine...if you have the OL equipped to handle it.
But the OL they added in the offseason weren't very good at moving so much laterally, so they had to adjust the scheme to fit.
Props to Pollack/Callahan/Taylor for adjusting the rushing scheme when the original plan wasn't working.
Shame it wasn't figured out in the preseason though.

Yep

If they would have/could have got the Oline more reps before regular season I believe we wouldn't have started 0-2. But that's water under the bridge now.

Who Dey
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2022, 01:15 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yep

If they would have/could have got the Oline more reps before regular season I believe we wouldn't have started 0-2. But that's water under the bridge now.

Who Dey

I mean, those who looked up Karras', Volson's, and Cappa's athletic scores had a good feeling they wouldn't likely have the lateral mobility to handle outside zone...
But yes, water under the bridge at this point. All that matters is making the playoffs and ideally advancing in the playoffs. Doesn't matter how it's done.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-06-2022, 04:52 AM)Roland Wrote: Corey Dillon was a better back than Rudi ever was.  His problem in 2003 had everything to do with attitude and very little to do with ability (or even injuries). Dillon had become a distraction at a time when the team was trying to start from a clean slate.

Mixon is nothing like that.  By all accounts, he's been nothing but a consummate teammate
- a guy that broke records just a few games ago. You want to set him aside for a guy who has just been a capable substitute?

A lot has been made of the fact that Rudi broke Dillon's season rushing record, but he did it on more carries.  He came nowhere near Dillon's career numbers in spite of playing on better Bengal teams than Dillon ever did.  In the year that Rudi broke his record, Dillon out-rushed him for the Patriots on his way to winning a Super Bowl ring.

[Image: sad-maybe-not-xibf2cnis7266phm.gif]

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2022, 02:24 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Stop it.

The last time Mixon played a full game he had 200+ yards and 5 TD’s.

Perine is doing a great job filling in, but some of you have short memories. Mixon is going to eat just as much (if not more) the way this OL is playing right now.

Yeah, it is a bit much to just say Perine is better. Perine is a better blocker for Burrow though which to me is the biggest thing and it 
makes our Offense less predictable because of it. Mixon is probably the better runner because he is more explosive, but Perine is more 
physical even though both are physical. Both are great pass catchers. Honestly, I would keep Perine as the main back early in games 
and if we get leads go with Mixon in the 2nd half to finish teams off.
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2022, 12:46 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Mixons style was determined by the blocking scheme we used to start the year. The outside zone scheme was trash. 

you're clearly in love with Mixon. Mixon, with the scheme change, has been mediocre outside of the panthers game

logic is looking you in the face, and you're blatantly looking elsewhere
Reply/Quote

There is a lot of value in a guy who turns a 2 yard play into 4 or nothing into 2 yards. It keeps you on schedule. It sounds crazy, but I'd rather have a guys who can get me 2 yards when I need it than 80 twice a season. Unless you are Barry Sanders, Gayle Sayers, Jim Brown, OJ Simpson, or maybe Eric Dickerson, that is all you get of that. 

Guys who dance too much leave yards on the table. And guys who stiff-arm trash-talkers into the turf set a different tone. I like the latter. 

Though Mixon has improved catching the ball, he sucks as a blocker. I was so disappointed Perine did not get a carry on that 3rd/4th & 1 sequence. 

I love our RB depth. And it is necessary to have depth. No way do we up Mixon for big money again. He and Bates are the most obvious fat to trim in terms of salary. Real good players, but not great ones. You don't keep those types & let Burrow, Chase, Reader, Hendrickson, Higgins types walk. 
Reply/Quote