Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Pfizer vaccine..90 percent
This appears to be the first break thru. Pfizer has announced a vaccine for Covid. Success rate is 90 percent. 50 million doses available this year. 1.3 billion next year. The drug requires two separate treatments, so in essence the quantity per person is half the amount stated available.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2020, 09:22 AM)Goalpost Wrote: This appears to be the first break thru. Pfizer has announced a vaccine for Covid. Success rate is 90 percent. 50 million doses available this year. 1.2 billion next year. The drug requires two separate treatments, so in essence the quantity available per person is half the amount.

Got this pushed to my phone by the AP. Good news for sure because I also just saw a news item that says we're (Virginia) expecting a big surge in cases over the winter based on the current projections.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
The seasonal flu vaccine has an effective rate of 40-60 percent. Chicken pox and measles are examples of vaccines that are effective at 90 percent plus.
Reply/Quote
The issue is the mutations that are already occurring. I fear COVID will become like flu in that there will multiple strains that we have to try and Whack-A-Mole each year with a different vaccine. It's great that we may have gotten the 1st one done, but I hope it doesn't cause people to let up or get too optimistic because we are a long way from being out of the woods.
Reply/Quote
I Google it when I wake up every morning and multiple times daily because I'm so at-risk, but I always kind of brace myself for disappointment!

NOT TODAY!

We're not out of the woods yet, but this is a HUGE step and can help bring life back to normal!

They said it's 90% effective, which the seasonal flu vaccine is only 40%-50% effective!

I just need to hold on for another two months!

I'm obviously still going to be careful, even with a vaccine, but it would at least give me some peace!

My family and I are already chatting in a text about whether to wait or not and we might wait until January (assuming I can even get it early since I'm high-risk).
Reply/Quote
This is obviously a thread that I had to think about concerning accuracy and verification. This country, and for that matter, world, is due a break.

Suspected plans are that the elderly and most vulnerable will get it first. Front line workers also. Projected timeline is a first treatment by early January. Then you wait 3 weeks and get a second dose.

Dow futures are going nuts. Bonds are reacting properly as well.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2020, 10:47 AM)Goalpost Wrote: This is obviously a thread that I had to think about concerning accuracy and verification.  This country, and for that matter, world, is due a break.

Suspected plans are that the elderly and most vulnerable will get it first.  Front line workers also.  Projected timeline is a first treatment by early January.  Then you wait 3 weeks and get a second dose.  

Dow futures are going nuts.  Bonds are reacting properly as well.

Abso-freaking-lutely. If there is anything that should be able to bring the country, and even the world, together its a vaccine. Very promising news, and right on time because even with one we're in for a long winter.

Just looked at the pre market on my Disney stock. Maybe I retire today. LOL
Reply/Quote
Well played Mr Gates, but you aren't microchipping me.

I kid...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2020, 11:07 AM)CKwi88 Wrote: Just looked at the pre market on my Disney stock. Maybe I retire today. LOL

I have some Disney too.  Not a lot but some.  I bought it based on Disney plus and the subscriber potential.  
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2020, 11:31 AM)Goalpost Wrote: I have some Disney too.  Not a lot but some.  I bought it based on Disney plus and the subscriber potential.  

I backed the truck up when it got under 90 earlier this year. I'm due a break after selling my whopping 10 Tesla stocks at 900 pre-split for a 1k profit instead of holding and seeing my money almost triple.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2020, 11:36 AM)CKwi88 Wrote: I backed the truck up when it got under 90 earlier this year. I'm due a break after selling my whopping 10 Tesla stocks at 900 pre-split for a 1k profit instead of holding and seeing my money almost triple.

Yea.  I know how that is, ha.  I have a whopping five shares of Amazon.  Bought it at 1800 and it's over 3000 now.  I wont sell it though.  I generally buy and hold long term.  It's always tempting though, for sure.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2020, 01:14 PM)Goalpost Wrote: Yea.  I know how that is, ha.  I have a whopping five shares of Amazon.  Bought it at 1800 and it's over 3000 now.  I wont sell it though.  I generally buy and hold long term.  It's always tempting though, for sure.

Not to get too off-topic here, but I'd take profits there on Amazon soon as one would assume there will be a HEAVY push (probably from both sides)to tax them at an insane amount for the profits they made during the pandemic, which probably will be used to help pay for any sort of stimulus in the new year. 
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2020, 01:16 PM)Au165 Wrote: Not to get too off-topic here, but I'd take profits there on Amazon soon as one would assume there will be a HEAVY push (probably from both sides)to tax them at an insane amount for the profits they made during the pandemic, which probably will be used to help pay for any sort of stimulus in the new year. 

Understandable.  My background is sales and Amazon is the epitome of a top line company.  They prioritize revenue over everything.  That's their model.  I did some retail work in my life also and my experience taught me....sales on the top line makes everything underneath it look better.  That's Amazon's strategy and i'm just partial to it.  Amazon is also an algorithm company.  It's so modernized that the computers make decisions beyond the errors of what a human element would do. Yes, it has a governmental risk.  I accept that. I am nowhere near an advisor though for what it's worth my reasons.  And i apologize for going off topic....and your opinion could still be correct.  
Reply/Quote
People questioning the timing of this announcement right after Biden declared the winner in ...5...4...3...2...1...
Reply/Quote
Great, but about half the country won't use it because of fear they'll be chipped and tracked. They know this because they read it on their smart phone, which is both chipped and tracked.
Reply/Quote
this is embarrassing

[Image: 3tY3onS.png]
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(11-09-2020, 06:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: People questioning the timing of this announcement right after Biden declared the winner in ...5...4...3...2...1...

I mean it does kind of fit their narrative.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(11-09-2020, 06:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: People questioning the timing of this announcement right after Biden declared the winner in ...5...4...3...2...1...

Why wouldn't they? Many asserted this is when a cure would be found. It appears they got the timing right. 

To me it really doesn't matter I'm just glad there's a little light, but I don't see how we can blame people because they were right. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-09-2020, 11:23 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I mean it does kind of fit their narrative.

I'm okay with it. Pfizer didn't take any government money and if they did hold off on the data analysis (which was done on 08 Nov) due to the election, that's fine. They didn't take part in the project from Trump, and if they had announced prior to the election he would have taken credit for stuff he had nothing to do with, just like the administration is currently doing.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2020, 08:39 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: I'm okay with it. Pfizer didn't take any government money and if they did hold off on the data analysis (which was done on 08 Nov) due to the election, that's fine. They didn't take part in the project from Trump, and if they had announced prior to the election he would have taken credit for stuff he had nothing to do with, just like the administration is currently doing.

I tend to agree.  My understanding is that Pfizer was offered money by the govt early on but declined it.  They chose the path of paying their own R&D on this.  My assumption is that now the govt is buying this vaccine from Pfizer.
Reply/Quote