Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Piano Man getting snarky
(02-17-2022, 04:49 PM)CoachGeorge Wrote: You should study draft outcomes more because this post is ridiculous.  First, recent top 11 picks (he wasn’t actually a top 10) are out of FB altogether, Greg Robinson, Luke Joekel; guys who were forced to moved inside; Ereck Flowers, DJ Fluker; or guys that are rated worse Jedrick Wills, Mike McGlinchey, Jake Matthews &Taylor Lewan.  Only 5 are rated higher (6 if you include Ronnie Stanley).  So that is a pretty normal outcome.  That doesn’t count if position class was high or not (it was not).  

It is very hard to replace even “average” tackles in todays NFL. Really hard.  In his defense I would point out that several OL evaluators don’t think he is only average.  And he still young and he is making up for lost time after missing 22 games. The Bengals have a terrible record of OL drafting.  Can we chill about the one positive outcome we did have?

Greg Robinson was arrested crossing the border with over 150lbs of pot. I don't think that's really the same thing. Lol

Ereck Flowers, moving position isn't bad if you're good at your new position. Just get good players. He was rated as the 17th G in football last year.

Taylor Lewan is a 3x Pro Bowler whose only bad year was coming off ACL surgery. I think he only allowed sacks in Week 1 of the 2021 season and allowed 0 the rest of the year.

- - - - - - -

Regardless of how others perform though, Jonah has been a bit of a disappointment. Not a bust, just a disappointment. He's an okay starter and there's honestly value in that. You have to admit though that nobody takes a high first round draft pick and hopes for an okay starter. Other people potentially being more disappointing doesn't change that.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2022, 06:02 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I'm aware you're not going to be able to hire the top 5 guys in FA but people started this crap last off-season as well that, "well the line really only needs 1 or 2 guys and we will be fine, plus we have a new coach." It failed, and failed miserably.

The Chiefs in one off-season rebuilt their line completely, 5 new guys. If the Bengals do that with Burrow and these weapons, they are headed right back to the Super Bowl.

Worked out great for the Chiefs didn't it?
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2022, 06:44 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Worked out great for the Chiefs didn't it?

3 straight AFC Championship games is pretty awesome. 

And if Andy Reid doesn't coach like a moron, they make 3 straight Super Bowls.

So...yes it actually did work out.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2022, 06:34 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Greg Robinson was arrested crossing the border with over 150lbs of pot. I don't think that's really the same thing. Lol

Ereck Flowers, moving position isn't bad if you're good at your new position. Just get good players. He was rated as the 17th G in football last year.

Taylor Lewan is a 3x Pro Bowler whose only bad year was coming off ACL surgery. I think he only allowed sacks in Week 1 of the 2021 season and allowed 0 the rest of the year.

- - - - - - -

Regardless of how others perform though, Jonah has been a bit of a disappointment. Not a bust, just a disappointment. He's an okay starter and there's honestly value in that. You have to admit though that nobody takes a high first round draft pick and hopes for an okay starter. Other people potentially being more disappointing doesn't change that.

Literally my point.

When you invest in a player as your 1st rounder and you pick in the upper half of the draft you are looking for a franchise changing player, not a...meh he's okay.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(02-18-2022, 06:44 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Worked out great for the Chiefs didn't it?

Got them a 21-3 lead in the AFC Championship game before their QB forgot how to play football. So... yes?

(02-18-2022, 07:30 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: 3 straight AFC Championship games is pretty awesome. 

4, all home games, too.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Jonah is not a finished product. He’s 24 years old, and has played 1 full season at the NFL level.

Reply/Quote
Jonah gave up 8 sacks during the regular season and how many in the playoffs? If we could upgrade that position it would be nice but he is the best out of all the linemen we have. We need to worry about the other 4 spots on that line before we talk about Jonah.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2022, 07:30 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: 3 straight AFC Championship games is pretty awesome. 

But, you cited how they brought in 5 new starters this past offseason.

So 2 of those SBs were BEFORE they fixed their line.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2022, 12:52 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: But, you cited how they brought in 5 new starters this past offseason.

So 2 of those SBs were BEFORE they fixed their line.

Ouch, he's not going to like that fact thrown his way.  
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2022, 07:32 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Literally my point.

When you invest in a player as your 1st rounder and you pick in the upper half of the draft you are looking for a franchise changing player, not a...meh he's okay.

There's probably about a 5% or less chance that a Top 16 pick is a franchise changer.

At 11, most teams hope for a quality starter and we got that with Jonah.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2022, 07:47 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Got them a 21-3 lead in the AFC Championship game before their QB forgot how to play football. So... yes?

4, all home games, too.

I like how people are using them having the lead over us at halftime as proof that signing 5 offensive lineman was a great atrategy.

Hey, with that big lead...WHY didn't they successfully run the ball to kill the clock? Also, why did we get so much pressure on their QB?
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2022, 02:11 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: But he’s probably the best OT in this year’s FA . If we concentrate on OG and roll with Reiff again at RT we’re in the same boat (pretty much guaranteed to miss some time).

That is a lot of games missed though.
Isn't Orlando brown a free agent?

Sent from my BE2026 using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
Interestingly Vernon Hargreaves and Trae Wayne's were #11 picks.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2022, 01:06 AM)ah5 Wrote: Isn't Orlando brown a free agent?

He is. Maybe the Chiefs will let him go and decide to rebuild their line again?
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2022, 01:09 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: He is. Maybe the Chiefs will let him go and decide to rebuild their line again?
Can they afford to resign him? He has to command a decent payday.

Reply/Quote
(02-19-2022, 01:11 AM)ah5 Wrote: Can they afford to resign him? He has to command a decent payday.

His projected contract is: Five years, $102M in total money. $57M total guaranteed, $35M signing bonus.

I read an article that says they can creatively structure a contract to do it. I guess we'll see.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2022, 10:42 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: He places accountability on himself above others. It's admirable,

Wait?!

What?!

A coach not holding players accountable is now a GOOD THING?

When did this happen?
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2022, 01:11 AM)ah5 Wrote: Can they afford to resign him? He has to command a decent payday.

Yep. Franchise tag him.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2022, 02:24 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Wait?!

What?!

A coach not holding players accountable is now a GOOD THING?

When did this happen?

It would serve you well if you better followed the conversation. My post was discussing Zac's approach for how he interacts with the media. He assumes responsibility instead of being critical about players when he's interviewed or holding a press conference. This doesn't imply he doesn't hold players accountable. It also doesn't imply I think it is good if he never holds players accountable. I'm sure he does when coaching at practice and during games. It's good when leaders hold others accountable.

Now, move along with your feigned excitement "?!", increased font size, and troll behavior.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2022, 10:07 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: It would serve you well if you better followed the conversation. My post was discussing Zac's approach for how he interacts with the media. He assumes responsibility instead of being critical about players when he's interviewed or holding a press conference. This doesn't imply he doesn't hold players accountable. It also doesn't imply I think it is good if he never holds players accountable. I'm sure he does when coaching at practice and during games. It's good when leaders hold others accountable.

Now, move along with your feigned excitement "?!", increased font size, and troll behavior.

So I guess you were not around here when Marvin was coach.  There was a strong feeling among many here that the entire reason our team was losing was that Marvin did not publicly criticize players and hold then accountable.

No one here knew what went on between the players and Marvin in meetings or the locker room, yet they still insisted on him doing it publicly.

And what is with the "move along" comment.  What does that even mean? Are you suggesting that you have some authority to tell me what to do?  Oooooh, I am so afraid of what boss man going to do if I ever use an interrobang again.  Talking like a tough guy on the internet.
Reply/Quote