Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Player you had high hopes for but did not work out.
It's not specifically Bengals-related but I thought Ryan Leaf was going to be good. I was 15 at the time, though.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I thought Lemar Marshall would be a good fill-in at MLB. Then he got hurt and that was it.

Sam Adams and Dexter Jackson seemed to be good pieces to add to that defense, but both were far away from their prime years.
Reply/Quote
I recall counting the days until Antwan Odom would return after his 2009 injury. Oh well.
Reply/Quote
Oh so many choices...

Keith Rivers, Chris Perry, David Pollack, Devon Still, Margus Hunt...

Remeber Bennie Brazelle (sp?)? The board loved him. I saw him at training camp and he was the size of Billly Hamilton. Knew then he'd never make it
[Image: 29p43f6.png]

Quote:"Massillon High School is ahead of us," owner Mike Brown said when asked about an indoor practice facility. "We don't have one."
Reply/Quote
One player that I don't think has been mentioned is Robert Geathers.

Most people were pretty disappointed after he signed that big contract and he never topped 3.5 sacks again.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I would also add Madieu Williams and Chris Perry to the list. I think both of those guys would have been better if they were drafted in todays NFL rather than in 04.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
So many to choose from. I'll go with Chase Coffman right now.

I was someone who was desperate for us to have a receiving TE. We finally landed one and I thought he was going to light up the league for us.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2015, 08:55 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I thought Coles was a good signing also.  

Oh hell... If were including FA signings...

Coles, Matt Jones, Odom, Sam Adams, Ben Utecht, James Harrison, and the ultimate Shaun Rogers.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
David Klingler
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
Most recently, Jermaine Gresham. First round draft pick who never lived up to that status. Eifert might end up on this list too if he keeps getting hurt and missing seasons.
Reply/Quote
Jermaine Gresham. While I clearly remember in 2010 yelling at the TV when we passed on Dez Bryant (see new $70M man), I still was hoping that Gresh would be a stud TE for the next decade. His college tape did look amazing (besides the fact that he had sat out his senior year with a major knee injury). Unfortunately, he wasn't even one of the top TEs in this draft, with players like Jimmy Graham, Rob Gronkowski, etc. Now it appears that Jermaine is out of the league at age 27.
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2015, 08:09 PM)jason Wrote: Peter Warrick for sure.  I thought Gresham would be better than he was.  More FA signings are coming to mind than draft picks.

I'm not sure why. There's been way...way more draft disappointments than FA ones.

Although I will say that Mikey has made some terrible choices in FA. Usually going after older players and has-been's.

Maybe that's why so many people on here think Free Agency never works.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2015, 06:50 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Everyone is always talking about how the Bengals made the wrong choice and should have drafted someone else.  Funny that not a single person here seems to admit that they had players who they thought would be stars that did not work out.  Here are a few of mine.  I was really excited when we......

...drafted Ki-Jana Carter.  He was one of the best colleeg RBs I had ever seen, and the Bengals actually had a lot of talent on offense when we drafted him.  I was so excited that Mike Brown had made an aggressive move to trade up for him.  I thiought he woudl transform our offense.

...signed Nate Webster.  I really liked the  guy.  He seemed to have all the tools, and we really needed a LB at that time.

...drafted Keiwan Ratliff.  This one will probably draw a few laughs, but Ratliff was an explosive playmaker in college.  He was the SEC Defensive Player of the Year his senior season when he had 9 ints and scored 4 defensive tds.  He was also one of the best punt return men in the SEC and even played some WR.

...drafted Peter Warrick.  He actually played pretty well for us, but not up to his potential.  In college he was ridiculous good.  he was the most exciting player since Deion Sanders.

....drafted Roddrick Muckelroy.  He was not a highly ranked player because he didn't have eye-popping workout numbers, but he had started four years at a top program (Texas).  He had played every LB position and just made tackles all over the field.  To me he looked like a real good football player.

Great topic!

I immediately went to David Pollack, with his double-reverse spin move.  A beast at Georgia, paired with his college teammate, Thurman, could be the rush end we always wanted.  Injury ended this career way too early.  I honestly thought with his intelligence and athleticism that he would be the defensive captain and a potential HOF player....great guy, just didn't happen for him here in Cincy.

Not to crap on a current player, but I was so pumped when the Bengals took Maualuga in the second round what seems like ages ago.  His tackles were described as "train wrecks".  Finally!  A guy that would rip Vagiburger's head off!  Although I think the lighter, faster Rey has improved;   he hasn't come close to the hype and hope that people had for him.

And, I have to do it:  Jermaine Gresham.  A man among boys at Oklahoma, but he never lived up to the billing.  He had his moments, but they were outweighed by penalties, drops, fumbles, etc.  He will always be the guy we took before Gronk and Jimmy Graham. 
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2015, 10:56 PM)bfine32 Wrote: 2nd best Berman nickname ever.

Best?  Burt Be home by-leven
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2015, 11:37 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Best?  Burt Be home by-leven

1:00 mark. WARNING adult language.

https://youtu.be/_fDtdirYjoY
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
[Image: williamsr09-2--nfl_large_590_Unlimited.j...height=720]
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(07-18-2015, 01:18 AM)bfine32 Wrote: [Image: williamsr09-2--nfl_large_590_Unlimited.j...height=720]

Once at training camp I tried to get his attention while he was signing autographs, so I said:

"Hey, king of the horse caller!"

He looked up.
Reply/Quote
Dontay Moch. I watched him in college, and he was an absolute terror as a hand in the dirt DE. The Bengals, chose the square peg in the round hole method looking for the next Peter Boulware. I loved the pick at the time, but Moch just never panned out. I don't know if the SPARQ scores were around during Moch's combine and Pro a Day, but he likely would've scored in the 130-140 range.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
Elmo Maple
Charles Fisher
Jeff Query
Ethan Kilmer
Jason Shirley
Miss Otis regrets she's unable to lunch today.
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2015, 12:36 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Kelly Washington, WR - Tennessee.  He lit up the SEC.  I thought he was going to be legit.

He lit up the NFL....with the squirrel.
Reply/Quote