Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Positive takeaways from the Packers game
(10-10-2021, 09:13 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: well Chargers won 5 games in 2019.. so i would not say they were world beaters.. and he was 3rd QB taken.. nothing against Burrow I believe he has been a good QB.. but Herbert just has been better and able to close the games in the 4th so far in his career.

You hate Burrow for at least 3 reasons and if you could snap your finger and have Herbert here, you'd Thanos that shit in a second.  

Numbers-wise, Herbert has only been marginally better, on a better team, FO-wise, coach-wise and talent-wise. 

P.S. The Chargers won 7 games last year.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2021, 08:56 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The Detroit Lions need to be beaten to a pulp.  This should be a curb stomping of epic proportions.

Truth!!!
Imagine if we woulda pulled that win out today
Confidence at all time high since,,, Geez,, not sure its been that long
I was never sure The Dalton Era was full of Complete Team Confidence at any time
But today was a must win for that reason alone
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2021, 09:37 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: This is starting to sound like the Andy Dalton years already.

Imagine if we had this, or got this or added this... 

The team has what it has, and has to win with what it has. 

I can't imagine Taylor losing his job this year unless he just loses out the rest of the year, so the same play caller will be back next season.

Call it excuses if you want, but we have a HC calling plays who’s failed at every single level. The fact that he can’t even get an offense with Joe Burrow, Ja’Marr Chase, Tyler Boyd, and Joe Mixon going shouldn’t really surprise anyone.

I think the players love him, and I think he might be pretty good at putting together a team, but ffs he’s just not getting any better as a play caller. When is enough, enough?

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2021, 09:27 PM)BritishBengal Wrote: The thing that gets me most with people piling on after a game like this, is the total abandonment of realism. So because we narrowly lose to a superbowl contender everything is terrible. I just honestly don't understand.

It's not terrible, it's just confoundingly frustrating. I've been a Bengals fan since 1978. Do you know how many almosts and moral victories and almost there and played with them's i've seen?

When the game is on the line, the good teams grab the win. That's what the Chargers did today. The almost good teams almost grab the win. That's what the Bengals did today. Bengals and Chargers are/should be pretty much on the same plane(level), traveling in the same direction. Only the Chargers are getting there much faster. 

Who knows, maybe they go on a 5 game winning streak after this. I just know what i've seen over the last 43 years. I've seen this movie, in it's various versions and it's only led to something really good twice. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2021, 09:41 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Yes. 

Give me the choice today, which QB i want and i'm taking Burrow without even pausing. 

(10-10-2021, 09:44 PM)Tony Wrote: I believe you, I'd honestly take Herbert...

It's impossible to know what Herbert would look like in this offense, maybe he'd be doing as well maybe not. Maybe he gets injured like Burrow, maybe not.

The one thing to keep in mind with this debate is that it isn't just a straight up swap of guys. Had the Bengals passed on Burrow, they could have traded out and taken Herbert later and gotten other draft picks as well from the Phins who wanted to come up. The reports were the team liked Herbert after the Senior Bowl, so if they moved out it would have been to take Herbert and the Phins have Burrow and San Diego has Tua most likely. 

The team would look different so maybe they don't have the same draft position this year and the draft plays out differently. It's impossible to know and again, the team has what it has for better or for worse.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2021, 09:53 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Call it excuses if you want, but we have a HC calling plays who’s failed at every single level. The fact that he can’t even get an offense with Joe Burrow, Ja’Marr Chase, Tyler Boyd, and Joe Mixon going shouldn’t really surprise anyone.

I think the players love him, and I think he might be pretty good at putting together a team, but ffs he’s just not getting any better as a play caller. When is enough, enough?

It's been enough for a year. 

However, look at the lack of talent and lack of offensive play calling and lack of going for it and lack of adjustments at halftime and etc, etc that everyone yelled and screamed about under Marvin. Yet those less talented teams produced higher win totals. There was some horrible OCs around under Marvin and yet... they found ways to win (except against Pittsburgh...scrubs).

Again, it is what it is with this team. They will have to win by over-coming the disadvantages that come from upstairs and that starts with Mike and his stubborn streak, and the lack of scouting and the loyalty to a coach, etc, etc. 

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2021, 09:50 PM)Spider Wrote: I was never sure The Dalton Era was full of Complete Team Confidence at any time

You’re right because complete team confidence has been missing since 1990-91. Don’t poo-pooh 2011-15 though because the Bengals went 52-27-1. That’s a 65.6% win rate.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2021, 09:54 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: It's not terrible, it's just confoundingly frustrating. I've been a Bengals fan since 1978. Do you know how many almosts and moral victories and almost there and played with them's i've seen?

When the game is on the line, the good teams grab the win. That's what the Chargers did today. The almost good teams almost grab the win. That's what the Bengals did today. Bengals and Chargers are/should be pretty much on the same plane(level), traveling in the same direction. Only the Chargers are getting there much faster. 

Who knows, maybe they go on a 5 game winning streak after this. I just know what i've seen over the last 43 years. I've seen this movie, in it's various versions and it's only led to something really good twice. 

Eh, the Chargers were definitely a little closer than us when we drafted our QB’s. That’s why we picked 1st overall, and they picked 6th. We had to completely revamp our defense for one.

They also fired their coach when it wasn’t working. Lynn got 3 years. Taylor is on his 3rd year…

Reply/Quote
Redzone defense- held the Packers to two of 5 in the redzone.
Jamar Chase- Game Breaker; dude will be a top 10 WR
Hendrickson- 2 sacks
Auwzie- might be a #1 CB
Bell- 3 TFLs today was a beast stopping the run.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
The positive for me is that there is zero doubt that this team is getting better. Are they a Super Bowl contender? No, but they're also a team that bottomed out and turned over most of their roster in the last two years. They took a top tier team with arguably the best quarterback in the league to the mat and were in position to beat them more than once.

They aren't where we all want them to be, but they weren't gong to get there in 1 or 2 seasons. The important thing is that they are progressing in the right direction.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2021, 10:07 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Eh, the Chargers were definitely a little closer than us when we drafted our QB’s. That’s why we picked 1st overall, and they picked 6th. We had to completely revamp our defense for one.

They also fired their coach when it wasn’t working. Lynn got 3 years. Taylor is on his 3rd year…

Yeah. They did have a little bit of a head start but it's so frustrating when it's the coach that is holding the offense back in different ways, in different games. 

The brass ring is right there in front of my face but every time i reach for it [Image: bait-fishing.gif]

It's always ***** something. If it's not this, it's that. If it's not that, it's the other. I'm so ***** tired of it already. Win some ***** games and contend for a ***** championship and stop making me believe you're just about ready to turn the corner, except...

That's ***** Mike Brown with the fishing pole, btw. 

Reply/Quote
The team always gets so close to over the hump, but never does. 35 years of being a Bengals fan and you know the signs. Somehow you can't help but to get excited ,than reality like today happens.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2021, 10:26 PM)samhain Wrote: The positive for me is that there is zero doubt that this team is getting better.  Are they a Super Bowl contender? No, but they're also a team that bottomed out and turned over most of their roster in the last two years.  They took a top tier team with arguably the best quarterback in the league to the mat and were in position to beat them more than once.  

They aren't where we all want them to be, but they weren't gong to get there in 1 or 2 seasons.  The important thing is that they are progressing in the right direction.

Alas we have been down this road all too many times in the past. They are ALWAYS "progressing in the right direction" but they NEVER "arrive at the right place". They are always "improving" but never "get there". 

When does this endless loop stop? Every game this happens in, every season without a championship sees more of the longest suffering fan base in professional sports get older and some pass away. When do we/they FINALLY get rewarded for our support? 
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2021, 07:49 PM)Spider Wrote: Stop with posting positives after this team over and over again makes a joke of themselves, The City and most importantly us fans..
Just stop..
Keep taking positives away from another National televised embarassment and you will posting this thread over and over again for the next 20 years as its been posted for the last 20

How was that a national televised embarrassment for the Bengals?  Because they lost to a really good team?

The Bills destroyed the Chiefs in their house last night on national television.  That's a national embarrassment.  Losing to Aaron Rodgers and the Green Bay Packers in OT is not.

Was there some sloppy play, kicking, yes, by both teams.  But that was a great game to watch, the announcers themselves even said as much.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2021, 07:47 PM)Tony Wrote: Evan McPherson nick name thread's will die now... That's a positive...

Conversely, we can now anticipate a lot threads talking about how he sucks and a draft pick was wasted on a kicker!
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2021, 07:49 PM)Spider Wrote: Stop with posting positives after this team over and over again makes a joke of themselves, The City and most importantly us fans..
Just stop..
Keep taking positives away from another National televised embarassment and you will posting this thread over and over again for the next 20 years as its been posted for the last 20

Troll much? All of the national media I have heard talk about this game are now talking about how improved the Bengals are, that they are no longer an easy out and can beat anyone in the league. The only embarrassment is your posts. 
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2021, 07:31 PM)Nati#1 Wrote: I didn’t like seeing Zac Taylor smiling after we missed the Fg right before overtime. I feel like in his mind he was okay with us just being close in that game and not winning .. we should have won that game, we are a playoff team.

You know that for many people, smiling is a sign of nervousness. It's not always because they think something is funny.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2021, 09:41 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Yes. 

Give me the choice today, which QB i want and i'm taking Burrow without even pausing. 

Me too...
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 09:36 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Conversely, we can now anticipate a lot threads talking about how he sucks and a draft pick was wasted on a kicker!

Anyone with any common sense and unbiased thought will realize that since Green Bays normally very good kicker, and Fat McPherson were both missing their kicks, and almost all of them went left, there were some weird swirling winds down there in the middle of the field that were not blowing the flags at the goalposts in the right direction, or at all. No way both those kickers miss over and over without something weird going on. 
Reply/Quote