Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.25 Average
{ Postgame Reactions Thread - Week 1 }
(09-12-2023, 03:50 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Robbins just doesnt have a strong leg.  I have been pointing this out since we drafted him.  If we have to punt deep in our own territory the other team is more often than not going to get good field position so that's a big problem to start with.  

The comeback always is Robbins has great hang time.  Our offense is so good we should be able to make it to midfield and when Robbins kicks his 40 yard punts with great hang time we will be able to pin other teams deep.  The problem with that logic is 1) We dont always make it to midfield on offense so that's never a given we make it that far and 2)  Robbins still has to deliver even when the offense does make it to midfield.  Sunday we had a chance to kick a long field goal at the Cleveland 38 but due to weather conditions we decide to punt.  This is where Robbins and his 40 yard leg are supposed to shine.  Instead Robbins kicks it in the endzone for a touchback.  A net gain of only 18 yards.

Robbins is limited in his abilities to begin with and is helpful only in certain situations when the team can make it to midfield.  If Robbins isnt great in those situations why is he on the team?  If he has another game like he did against Cleveland, he needs released

I want to see a bit more of him in the NFL before I start making final judgements. He absolutely sucked against Cleveland but it was one game in awful conditions. He has a few more games of leniency before I start brandishing the pitchfork. He hit some big punts in college, so I know he has the leg strength. He just needs to demonstrate it in the NFL. 
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2023, 05:27 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Without reading through these, here is all I got to say

!@#$%^&*()(*&^%$#@!@#$%^&*()_(*&^%$#@!@#$%^&*()_+_)(*&^%$#@@@@ !!!!!!!!!

Now that Ive got that off my chest let's get on with next weeks game.

I was getting ready to disagree with you until I got to the part where you colored the exclamation marks different from the rest of that statement.  That convinced me to agree.   Tongue
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2023, 05:40 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I want to see a bit more of him in the NFL before I start making final judgements. He absolutely sucked against Cleveland but it was one game in awful conditions. He has a few more games of leniency before I start brandishing the pitchfork. He hit some big punts in college, so I know he has the leg strength. He just needs to demonstrate it in the NFL. 

Sorry, Goose, but punters, even rookie punters, must come in and be good-to-great from the get go. Everyone knows punters don't grow or become better. They just are. I don't know what you're thinking giving a rookie - A ROOKIE - time to adjust and acclimate to the NFL before making a decision on whether he needs to be replaced.  Whatever
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2023, 03:02 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Ok, so what is the reason (not excuse) for JB's poor performance?

Did he suddenly become a poor QB?

Was it lack practice?

Was/Is he hurt?

Did the wet weather affect his baby hands?

Did he drop a dime on the Browns?

Did Jimmy Haslam hold his Cat hostage?

I think Joe Burrow has some weaknesses which got exposed in the last couple week 1 games, never more so this one obviously. He's not the best at avoiding pressure or escaping sacks which against a Dline like the Browns is going to make it hard. 

He has admitted he needs reps and based on the last couple years he doesn't have the ability to jump in and be ready from the go. He's an intelligent and methodical QB who is athletically limited compared to some of the other top QBs. If he's not on his game he doesn't have the athleticism to fall back on like a Watson, Allen, Jackson, Herbert, or others do.

I'm not sure we've played in a game with this type of rain, at least based on how both coaches talked out it. So I do think his hands being smaller could have had a genuine impact. Watson also looked like he was having trouble so it may not be hand size related at all.

Those are limitations of Joe Burrow as a QB and I think it's okay to say he, as a player, didn't play well. Without blaming it all on outside forces. I don't expect him to play this bad the reason of the season or possibly ever again. Those limitations, as minor as they may be since we all know how good he still is, are things we've seen throughout his career. I think this was just the culmination of a lot of his weaknesses being amplified in 1 game. 
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2023, 03:50 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Robbins just doesnt have a strong leg.  I have been pointing this out since we drafted him.  If we have to punt deep in our own territory the other team is more often than not going to get good field position so that's a big problem to start with.  

The comeback always is Robbins has great hang time.  Our offense is so good we should be able to make it to midfield and when Robbins kicks his 40 yard punts with great hang time we will be able to pin other teams deep.  The problem with that logic is 1) We dont always make it to midfield on offense so that's never a given we make it that far and 2)  Robbins still has to deliver even when the offense does make it to midfield.  Sunday we had a chance to kick a long field goal at the Cleveland 38 but due to weather conditions we decide to punt.  This is where Robbins and his 40 yard leg are supposed to shine.  Instead Robbins kicks it in the endzone for a touchback.  A net gain of only 18 yards.

Robbins is limited in his abilities to begin with and is helpful only in certain situations when the team can make it to midfield.  If Robbins isnt great in those situations why is he on the team?  If he has another game like he did against Cleveland, he needs released

Good take. Seeing the shorter punts during Browns game left me feeling uneasy. Perhaps first game jitters and weather played into the short punts but if not, then uh oh. If the team has a situational punter, I'd rather it be a guy who can punt the ball deep.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2023, 05:27 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Without reading through these, here is all I got to say

!@#$%^&*()(*&^%$#@!@#$%^&*()_(*&^%$#@!@#$%^&*()_+_)(*&^%$#@@@@ !!!!!!!!!

Now that Ive got that off my chest let's get on with next weeks game.

So you agree, the Bengals punter sucked?  Ninja
Reply/Quote

He is not elite in leg coming in but shown elite in  hang time and placement  inside the 20... there are trade offs here... and the Bengals decided to go with hang tim enad inside 20 over a strong leg with less hang time and maybe bad at putting it inside the 20.  One game in bad weather does not mean he is bad.  And lets be honest if we are kicking the ball 4 to 5 times beyond the 20 in a game, we are losing that game regardless of the punter in majority of cases.   

Im really not sure why you think he is limited in his abilities not having a big leg. His hang time and a 40 to 45 punt with no return at the 40 would put a team at the 15 to 20 yard line with no return... nothing wrong with that.  But he is a rookie and yes if he has another bad game we might be looking for a new punter but all reports he had a strong camp so i expect he will be better this Sunday
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2023, 05:43 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Sorry, Goose, but punters, even rookie punters, must come in and be good-to-great from the get go. Everyone knows punters don't grow or become better. They just are. I don't know what you're thinking giving a rookie - A ROOKIE - time to adjust and acclimate to the NFL before making a decision on whether he needs to be replaced.  Whatever

I knew it was a controversial opinion, I'm sorry.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2023, 05:43 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Sorry, Goose, but punters, even rookie punters, must come in and be good-to-great from the get go. Everyone knows punters don't grow or become better. They just are. I don't know what you're thinking giving a rookie - A ROOKIE - time to adjust and acclimate to the NFL before making a decision on whether he needs to be replaced.  Whatever

Rookie punters do need to be good from the get go.  They are not like other positions that need to learn the offense or defense.  They punt.   Im wondering if the Bengals actually wanted Bryce Baringer and settled for Robbins when the Patriots snagged Baringer in the 6th.

Just for fun, here is the list of the best statistical punters in college last year just for comparison.
https://www.espn.com/college-football/stats/player/_/view/special/stat/punting/season/2022/table/punting/sort/grossAvgPuntYards/dir/desc
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2023, 07:27 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: He is not elite in leg coming in but shown elite in  hang time and placement  inside the 20... there are trade offs here... and the Bengals decided to go with hang tim enad inside 20 over a strong leg with less hang time and maybe bad at putting it inside the 20.  One game in bad weather does not mean he is bad.  And lets be honest if we are kicking the ball 4 to 5 times beyond the 20 in a game, we are losing that game regardless of the punter in majority of cases.   
You are certainly going to lose if your punter cant flip the field position and your defense has to keep defending short fields all game long. Also if you have a struggling offense and they have to keep starting possessions deep in their own territory you are not helping them either.

(09-12-2023, 07:27 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Im really not sure why you think he is limited in his abilities not having a big leg. His hang time and a 40 to 45 punt with no return at the 40 would put a team at the 15 to 20 yard line with no return...
When you look at his stats, Robbins averaged about 41 yards a punt against the Browns so he was in that 40-45 per punt you are talking about and out of his 10 punts he only had 1 touch back so you might say he did ok. But just because you can average 41 yards a punt and have a 90% non touch back percentage doesn't mean you are a good punter. Yes Robbins might kick one 55 yards every now and then but what happens the rest of the time?
Reply/Quote
Robbins was also supposed to be able to pin returners to the sideline with all the directional kicking talk. I can’t bring myself to rewatch the game yet but I don’t remember his kicks being kicked with purpose or feeling confident. A couple were almost blocked so he may need to speed it up some.

It was raining tho. And while this is Ohio and power should have been a priority as it was with Money, at least we weren’t sold on his leg. We were sold that with this offense he shouldn’t be kicking from inside the 40. And he shouldn’t. So I’ll hold off judgement until everything is running smooth and he can play his role.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
We spent a 6th round pick on a punter.... lets see how it plays out.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote