Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.25 Average
{ Postgame Reactions Thread - Week 1 }
(09-11-2023, 04:56 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: "I think the ball was heavy and wet. It was strange. I did not know it was going to rain. It was to our advantage. We found a way to move the ball, put some points on the board. But, it definitely had an impact on the passing game." - kevin stefanski

of course stefanski can move the ball, they have a professional run game.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2023, 08:28 AM)Mickeypoo Wrote: I cannot understand for the life of me why we went away from the run.  It was working and Burrow was way off.  Mixon should have had 30+ carries that game.

I could be completely wrong, but I think something is wrong with Burrow.  There is having an off game and then there is what we all saw.   Something wasn't right and i'm not buying this weather bs.  Burrow looked injured, scared or both.  I have watched every single Burrow game and I have never, ever seen him act like that.

Didn't Burrow get his hand hit on one of the pass rush attempts early in the game?
I thought I saw Smith or Garrett swipe at him and hit his hand right as he was releasing the ball or something.
Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly though.

If he did get his hand hit, could it have caused a bit of discomfort and thus affect throwing, compounded with the weather?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2023, 01:26 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Didn't Burrow get his hand hit on one of the pass rush attempts early in the game?
I thought I saw Smith or Garrett swipe at him and hit his hand right as he was releasing the ball or something.

If he did get his hand hit, could it have caused a bit of discomfort and thus affect throwing, compounded with the weather?

I'm not sure about the hit on his hand, but it was such an incredibly bad performance it's hard to believe that there wasn't something wrong with him.  I mean, there's having a bad game and then there is what we witnessed.  It just appeared to me that something was wrong with thim.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2023, 08:11 AM)Sled21 Wrote: How many of the other 31 punters were punting a wet heavy ball in a monsoon? Because while that looks bad, can you really FAIRLY compare the conditions he was punting into someone punting in a dome or in Denver, or even in sunshine? C'mon man...

The Browns punter faired better with 7 punts for a 47.3 average. 
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2023, 06:14 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Pay DJ Reader

Agreed.   He doesn't have bad games and sets the tone for the defense every game.  He's a stud.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2023, 06:20 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Chubb ran for 100+ at almost 6 yards a clip. Not sure this will be the game Reader’s agent uses to get him paid.

Don't think Reader was the problem here.   He's really our only top notch DT.  And as much as I love Hendrickson he lost contain repeatedly.  
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2023, 07:14 PM)bfine32 Wrote: That RT we could had instead of Jordan Battle is HUGE

I would much rather have had Jones or Darnell Washington than Battle.  They are both playing well (at least Washington was in the pre-season)

It seems like the Bengals plan was primarily focused on replacing Bates and Bell.   

I'm not particularly impressed by Charlie Jones either.

But no more whining.  Lets see what how they do the next couple of weeks.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2023, 01:26 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Didn't Burrow get his hand hit on one of the pass rush attempts early in the game?

This is like the 5th excuse people have tried to make for Burrows awful performance. 
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2023, 02:16 PM)TheFan Wrote: This is like the 5th excuse people have tried to make for Burrows awful performance. 

Is it an excuse, though? Someone postulating a reason WHY Burrow may have had issues is not the same thing as someone EXCUSING the performance. 
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2023, 02:16 PM)TheFan Wrote: This is like the 5th excuse people have tried to make for Burrows awful performance. 

What defines an excuse, exactly?
I always considered it a reason why something did or did not happen.
Do excuses always have to be considered a negative thing?
Is it not acceptable to have reasons why something did or did not get done?
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2023, 02:22 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Is it an excuse, though? Someone postulating a reason WHY Burrow may have had issues is not the same thing as someone EXCUSING the performance. 

We'll never know the reason Burrow played what will hopefully be the worst game of his career. So every additional reason to try to excuse his performance is just that, excuses. 

We've seen Burrow have awful performances (not this bad) without bad whether. Just because some factors like weather, not being 100% healthy, not much preseason time etc may be present doesn't mean it's still not on Burrow. 

As much as some (not necessarily you) like to act like Burrow is flawless, he does have weaknesses to his game. Maybe this was just a perfect storm of factors but they were on full effect against the Browns. 
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2023, 02:34 PM)TheFan Wrote: We'll never know the reason Burrow played what will hopefully be the worst game of his career. So every additional reason to try to excuse his performance is just that, excuses. 

We've seen Burrow have awful performances (not this bad) without bad whether. Just because some factors like weather, not being 100% healthy, not much preseason time etc may be present doesn't mean it's still not on Burrow. 

I don't disagree but someone finding reason(s) for poor performance does not automatically excuse it. Granted, a lot of time people are certainly looking for excuses, but I'm just saying I don't think it's automatically an excuse if someone is trying to find a reason for why someone did not play up to their usual standards.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote

Ok, so what is the reason (not excuse) for JB's poor performance?

Did he suddenly become a poor QB?

Was it lack practice?

Was/Is he hurt?

Did the wet weather affect his baby hands?

Did he drop a dime on the Browns?

Did Jimmy Haslam hold his Cat hostage?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2023, 03:02 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Ok, so what is the reason (not excuse) for JB's poor performance?

Was it lack practice?

Was/Is he hurt?

ThOsE sOuNd LiKe ExCuSeS tO mE!
Unimpressed
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2023, 03:02 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Ok, so what is the reason (not excuse) for JB's poor performance?

Was it lack practice?

Was/Is he hurt?

I'll go with number 4: "baby hands." At least that's what the TV commentator brought up as a reason, helping the uninformed viewers to be even less informed.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2023, 01:53 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: The Browns punter faired better with 7 punts for a 47.3 average. 

Robbins just doesnt have a strong leg.  I have been pointing this out since we drafted him.  If we have to punt deep in our own territory the other team is more often than not going to get good field position so that's a big problem to start with.  

The comeback always is Robbins has great hang time.  Our offense is so good we should be able to make it to midfield and when Robbins kicks his 40 yard punts with great hang time we will be able to pin other teams deep.  The problem with that logic is 1) We dont always make it to midfield on offense so that's never a given we make it that far and 2)  Robbins still has to deliver even when the offense does make it to midfield.  Sunday we had a chance to kick a long field goal at the Cleveland 38 but due to weather conditions we decide to punt.  This is where Robbins and his 40 yard leg are supposed to shine.  Instead Robbins kicks it in the endzone for a touchback.  A net gain of only 18 yards.

Robbins is limited in his abilities to begin with and is helpful only in certain situations when the team can make it to midfield.  If Robbins isnt great in those situations why is he on the team?  If he has another game like he did against Cleveland, he needs released
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2023, 03:50 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Robbins just doesnt have a strong leg.  I have been pointing this out since we drafted him.  If we have to punt deep in our own territory the other team is more often than not going to get good field position so that's a big problem to start with.  

The comeback always is Robbins has great hang time.  Our offense is so good we should be able to make it to midfield and when Robbins kicks his 40 yard punts with great hang time we will be able to pin other teams deep.  The problem with that logic is 1) We dont always make it to midfield on offense so that's never a given we make it that far and 2)  Robbins still has to deliver even when the offense does make it to midfield.  Sunday we had a chance to kick a long field goal at the Cleveland 38 but due to weather conditions we decide to punt.  This is where Robbins and his 40 yard leg are supposed to shine.  Instead Robbins kicks it in the endzone for a touchback.  A net gain of only 18 yards.

Robbins is limited in his abilities to begin with and is helpful only in certain situations when the team can make it to midfield.  If Robbins isnt great in those situations why is he on the team?  If he has another game like he did against Cleveland, he needs released

Definitely good points and a good summary of the situation. Particularly the oft-cited comment that the offense is so good they should be able to make it to midfield. I thought of that point last Sunday when that often wasn't the case. I'd be surprised if they were not giving Chrisman another look after the Sunday debacle, such as the 22-yard punt and the touchback that gained only 18 yards.
Reply/Quote
I’d be careful wondering about a hurt hand (along with his knee). Some may think he’s injury prone.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2023, 04:07 PM)jj22 Wrote: I’d be careful wondering about a hurt hand (along with his knee). Some may think he’s injury prone.

I just went back and watched the recording of the game to see exactly what and when it was that I recalled seeing.
It was the very first offensive play of the game.
Burrow went to pass, Za'Darius Smith hit Burrow's hand as he threw the ball.
It looked like he did make contact with Burrow's ring and/or pinky finger, but it didn't look like it was severe enough for Burrow to show any reaction.
It may have been nothing, but since he did have weird throws the entire game, it's always possible that hit on the hand did a bit of something.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Without reading through these, here is all I got to say

!@#$%^&*()(*&^%$#@!@#$%^&*()_(*&^%$#@!@#$%^&*()_+_)(*&^%$#@@@@ !!!!!!!!!

Now that Ive got that off my chest let's get on with next weeks game.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote