Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
{ Postgame Reactions Thread - Week 2 }
Think Taylor is a great HC but a very average OC.

Needs to relinquish play calling duties to a good OC and focus on HCing duties imo.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 07:09 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Think Taylor is a great HC but a very average OC.

Needs to relinquish play calling duties to a good OC and focus on HCing duties imo.

Not too sure about great but I agree with the rest
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2023, 10:37 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Funny I saw this same thread when we started 0-2 last year.

Ya and I started it... Zac is limited. This offense hasn't evolved at all.. It takes him forever to make the tiny adjustments. Look how long it took to beat cover 2 last year..
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2023, 08:00 PM)Tony Wrote: This idiot never learns from his mistakes..

Pot...
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2023, 08:14 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Let Burrow sit and see how many wins Zachary gets this year.

You could make the same statement about any starting QB/Head coach combination. 
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 08:25 AM)Tony Wrote: Ya and I started it... Zac is limited. This offense hasn't evolved at all.. It takes him forever to make the tiny adjustments. Look how long it took to beat cover 2 last year..

I do also recall the Chiefs starting 3-4 when teams started to play cover 2 against them. 2021 season. Eerily similar season to ours last year, they even lost in the AFCCG... (no points for guessing who to).

Point being an Andy Reid/Pat Mahomes team had pretty similar issues.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2023, 08:00 PM)Tony Wrote: This idiot never learns from his mistakes..

Getting a good coach would be ideal...

but i think that ship has sailed.
Reply/Quote
This is the most successful era in Mike Brown's tenure.
There's no way Taylor is let go.

Best we can hope for is a force to let an actual OC call the plays.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 02:27 AM)CincinnatiKid Wrote: His punts looked liked winded ducks today

& the weather wasn't poor like in Cleveland.
Reply/Quote
I'm definitely not willing to call doom and gloom yet (which would be missing playoffs), but it doesn't look like the same competitive team we saw the past two years.
JaMarr Chase has 70 yards total. He's supposed to be WR1.
Irv Smith doesn't look good at all.
Tired of seeing so many screens, especially on 3rd down. Does Taylor know the middle of the field exists?
Despite only allowing 3 sacks across 2 games, it still seems like Jonah hasn't solidified RT. Or maybe it's just because he's gone up against Myles Garrett/Za'Darius Smith and Jadaveon Clowney.

These next 4 games are supposed to be the easy part of the schedule.
After the bye, it's tough sailing.
Gotta get some wins before the bye before you get too far into the hole.
Depending on the record going into the bye, my thoughts on doom and gloom might be more solidified.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 09:35 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm definitely not willing to call doom and gloom yet (which would be missing playoffs), but it doesn't look like the same competitive team we saw the past two years.
JaMarr Chase has 70 yards total. He's supposed to be WR1.
Irv Smith doesn't look good at all.
Tired of seeing so many screens, especially on 3rd down. Does Taylor know the middle of the field exists?
Despite only allowing 3 sacks across 2 games, it still seems like Jonah hasn't solidified RT. Or maybe it's just because he's gone up against Myles Garrett/Za'Darius Smith and Jadaveon Clowney.

These next 4 games are supposed to be the easy part of the schedule.
After the bye, it's tough sailing.
Gotta get some wins before the bye before you get too far into the hole.
Depending on the record going into the bye, my thoughts on doom and gloom might be more solidified.

We played better on offense against Baltimore. We didn't have any time of possession since the defense couldn't get off the field. As long as Burrow isn't hurt I think we'll be fine. It just sucks we are 0-2 in the division right now. We REALLY need to get a new OC and have him call the plays and not have Zac have much to do with it. 
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 08:54 AM)Sled21 Wrote: You could make the same statement about any starting QB/Head coach combination. 

Yes but players have a WAR stat (wins above replacement). So what is Burrow's WAR. Do we win zero games this season without him? 

Doubt our backup QB could have almost beaten the ravens in the playoffs like Huntley did to our starting QB. So our backups are bad and/or I think Zac also has nothing in his pocket without Burrow.
Reply/Quote
Our offense has certainly shown this year that if Chase is being taken away there is zero creativity to find ways to get him involved and back in the game again. I don’t know if Chase just doesn’t like running routes over the middle or what, but it seems like it’s either fade or go routes and relying on his speed/athleticism to win out, without any thought to how to actually scheme him open. Things were so bad that Dan Hoard said at one point “how is it possible that Chase has one catch for 0 yards at this point?" (He said this on the 3rd quarter).
Reply/Quote
I've collected my 0-2 emotions and thoughts and concluded I want Taylor to continue as the Bengals head coach. I think he's a talented leader and has earned respect throughout the organization.

I do think Taylor needs to examine his coaching staff and their approach if the losing continues.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2023, 08:18 PM)Au165 Wrote: You can’t just “take it away” though can you take it away in different ways but it’s still there in other ways. What’s concerning is we aren’t evolving to get it back. You don’t think teams want to take the Dolphins vertical game away? Of course they do, and yet Mike McDaniels finds a way to keep it going.

We have all the threats in the world we need. We aren’t utilizing play calling to put the defenses in conflict instead we are letting the defenses dictate what we do and it’s awful.

I don’t think Joe is setting up quickly on long drops. I’ve talked to a coach at the Manning Camp and a then player attending. Peyton was slow but lightning fast on his 7 ft drop. I think that the ability to quickly get to your 7 step drop and protect has as much to determine the outcome as the receiver. It’s a combination of OL protection, QB drop efficiency, and the receiver and we need that executed better.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
So.. was Wilson the spy on that last play Lamar got the 1st down?
Reply/Quote
I think the question is not that we're 0-2 it's would we be 0-2 if Burrow was healthy? I think we're 1-1. Should Burrow be playing if injured is the question Zac Taylor is answering.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 09:51 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: We played better on offense against Baltimore. We didn't have any time of possession since the defense couldn't get off the field. As long as Burrow isn't hurt I think we'll be fine. It just sucks we are 0-2 in the division right now. We REALLY need to get a new OC and have him call the plays and not have Zac have much to do with it. 

I know. I watched the game.
While it was a better offensive performance than the CLE game, it still wasn't good.
Only 17 offensive points scored. Less than 300 yards of total offense.

As soon as Burrow threw the interception, I looked at my wife and said, "That's going to be what decides the game."
Sure enough, Bengals lose by 3.
They were easily in FG range when the interception happened.

Had it been about any other QB other than Lamar Jackson, I think we would have seen a handful of sacks.
But because that dude is elusive AF, 0 sacks.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 10:11 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I know. I watched the game.
While it was a better offensive performance than the CLE game, it still wasn't good.
Only 17 offensive points scored. Less than 300 yards of total offense.

As soon as Burrow threw the interception, I looked at my wife and said, "That's going to be what decides the game."
Sure enough, Bengals lose by 3.
They were easily in FG range when the interception happened.

Had it been about any other QB other than Lamar Jackson, I think we would have seen a handful of sacks.
But because that dude is elusive AF, 0 sacks.

Superstars are beating us, Chubb runs us over, Lamar runs us over/passes us over. Their backup RBs crushed us. Our injured superstar is not making it a fair fight lol.

We can't expect to win the division with an injured Burrow just like Ravens couldn't claim it with a backup QB. Difference is they made the playoffs playing their backup routinely, we need an emergency QB. You can win the superbowl without winning the division. I'd ask for Matt Ryan!
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 10:10 AM)Goalpost Wrote: So.. was Wilson the spy on that last play Lamar got the 1st down?

Yes, he was. Lamar stepped up aggressively in the pocket which caused Wilson to crash down, thinking Lamar was scrambling up the middle. The Lamar put the brakes on and bounced it back out to the side and outran everyone. 

Many people (not you) think that a spy is a really strong counter to QBs rushing and it can be effective but the issue with Lamar is he is so athletic he can easily get by them. 
Reply/Quote