Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Predict our "washed up DE" free agent signing this year
(05-05-2016, 02:42 PM)Stormborn Wrote: Freeney pls

Yes thx
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2016, 02:13 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Werner got picked up by the jags....

But

Freeney is begging for work

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/05/12/dwight-freeney-begging-for-work-admits-hell-go-anywhere/

We need to jump on this
Reply/Quote

But

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/05/12/dwight-freeney-begging-for-work-admits-hell-go-anywhere/

Freeney had 8 sacks in 11 games last year.  I would love to see him as a rotational RDE.  Giving MJ more rotational rest will only make him better as well.  Ditto Hunt for Dunlap.  I know we are taking a better player off the field there, but I want Dunlap fresh and breathing fire come the playoffs.  And, yes, they are making the playoffs again.  
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2016, 09:30 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Freeney had 8 sacks in 11 games last year.  I would love to see him as a rotational RDE.  Giving MJ more rotational rest will only make him better as well.  Ditto Hunt for Dunlap.  I know we are taking a better player off the field there, but I want Dunlap fresh and breathing fire come the playoffs.  And, yes, they are making the playoffs again.  

i believe 100% we make the playoffs again.. infact i think this team is forgetting how to lose in the regular season
Reply/Quote

But

He would add a dimension to our defense we don't have.  We should bring him in.
Reply/Quote
Freeney is right around the weight that the Bengals like in their DEs, but he's short compared to what the Bengals prefer in their DEs.

However, I think if that's actually a factor in any possible discussions happening within the Bengals org right now, they need to throw that idea out the window because Freeney can still get to the passer after all these years. He'd be a good stopgap while the Bengals see if Hunt and/or Clarke can actually step up before their contracts end.

The thought of Freeney rushing with Dunlap and Atkins makes me :drool:
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-13-2016, 02:32 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Freeney is right around the weight that the Bengals like in their DEs, but he's short compared to what the Bengals prefer in their DEs.

However, I think if that's actually a factor in any possible discussions happening within the Bengals org right now, they need to throw that idea out the window because Freeney can still get to the passer after all these years. He'd be a good stopgap while the Bengals see if Hunt and/or Clarke can actually step up before their contracts end.

The thought of Freeney rushing with Dunlap and Atkins makes me  :drool:

pass rush formation?   Dunlap Atkins MJ(inside) Freeny
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2016, 02:32 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Freeney is right around the weight that the Bengals like in their DEs, but he's short compared to what the Bengals prefer in their DEs.

Bengals are ready to sign a speed rush guy.  They gave Chris Carter snaps at DE last year.  Not many, but enough to show that they are willing to try.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2016, 03:30 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Bengals are ready to sign a speed rush guy.  They gave Chris Carter snaps at DE last year.  Not many, but enough to show that they are willing to try.

They've got the money.   Somebody plant a little subliminal suggestion in their minds...
Reply/Quote
I wwould love us to go get freeney,that would just be amazing,he's one of the greatest pass rushers in my era of watching football. But there's a guy in my Bengals group that says he's a 3-4 defensI've end and can't play 4-3. What do you guys think of that?
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2016, 04:04 AM)bengalsturntup5532 Wrote: I wwould love us to go get freeney,that would just be amazing,he's one of the greatest pass rushers in my era of watching football. But there's a guy in my Bengals group that says he's a 3-4 defensI've end and can't play 4-3. What do you guys think of that?

According to the Cardinals official site he weighed in at 268 and played OLB last year. He's pretty close to Gilberry's height and weight so I don't get why anyone would think that he's a 5-tech.

Speaking of Freeney on the Cards, he is credited with a sack/fumble that more than likely won their game against the Vikings last year. Would Hunt or Clarke have made that play? Hmmm.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2016, 12:41 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: According to the Cardinals official site he weighed in at 268 and played OLB last year. He's pretty close to Gilberry's height and weight so I don't get why anyone would think that he's a 5-tech.

Speaking of Freeney on the Cards, he is credited with a sack/fumble that more than likely won their game against the Vikings last year. Would  Hunt or Clarke have made that play? Hmmm.

Freeney had some very good seasons in Indianapolis as a 4-3 DE. He actually had to learn to play 3-4 OLB late in his time in Indy when they switched to a 3-4. There should be no issues putting his hand down and getting a good rush.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Looks like Bjoern Werner is excited to go back to being a 4-3 DE with the Jags, what he has played all his life prior to being converted to 3-4 OLB with the Colts...
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/05/17/bjoern-werner-excited-to-be-a-defensive-end-again/

Still wished the Bengals would have snagged him up.
I'm curious to see the contract details once they become available. The DE situation for the Jags is probably more cluttered than the Bengals, but Werner is close to his alma mater Florida St.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Tony McDaniel. DT who is built like a DE (6'7". 295). 31 years old. 37 career starts including 15 for Super Bowl Champion Seahawks in '13.

Henry Melton. DT who can play DE. (6'3", 280). 30 years old. 36 career starts. Pro Bowl '12 when he had 6 sacks in 14 games.
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2016, 11:53 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Freeney had some very good seasons in Indianapolis as a 4-3 DE. He actually had to learn to play 3-4 OLB late in his time in Indy when they switched to a 3-4. There should be no issues putting his hand down and getting a good rush.

Sounds like a winner to me

I'm thinking that they want to save their money for extensions and are confident in Clark and Hunt.

I understand the extensions issue.   I disagree about Clark and Hunt.  He would add a dangerous element to our defense - especially late in games when we have difficulty pressuring the QB
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2016, 02:16 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Looks like Bjoern Werner is excited to go back to being a 4-3 DE with the Jags, what he has played all his life prior to being converted to 3-4 OLB with the Colts...
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/05/17/bjoern-werner-excited-to-be-a-defensive-end-again/

Still wished the Bengals would have snagged him up.
I'm curious to see the contract details once they become available. The DE situation for the Jags is probably more cluttered than the Bengals, but Werner is close to his alma mater Florida St.

I think he got picked up off waivers so we never had a shot.
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2016, 03:07 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: I think he got picked up off waivers so we never had a shot.

Nope. Werner was picked up as a FA after clearing waivers. He was released on March 8 and just recently signed with the Jags l;ast Wednesday (5/11). Bengals had their shot.
http://www.jaguars.com/news/article-JaguarsNews/Jaguars-sign-DE-Bjoern-Werner/b5c45ab4-1408-4b56-b957-bdc97dafadb7
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
All for Freeney now. I know he is getting older but i betcha anything he would be better than what we got
from Gilberry the last couple years and Gilberry was pretty short too so i doubt this would be a problem with
the coaches when considering Freeney.
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2016, 12:17 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: All for Freeney now. I know he is getting older but i betcha anything he would be better than what we got
from Gilberry the last couple years and Gilberry was pretty short too so i doubt this would be a problem with
the coaches when considering Freeney.

I read earlier this week that he really wants to play one more year.  The article said that Arizona was his preferred spot, but they seem to have moved on.  Bring him in for a year and let him do what he does... rush the passer.
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2016, 12:25 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: I read earlier this week that he really wants to play one more year.  The article said that Arizona was his preferred spot, but they seem to have moved on.  Bring him in for a year and let him do what he does... rush the passer.

Sounds great to me.

FO, get on this at once.

The one weakness i thought in our Draft was the lack of a pass rushing DE. We are relying on Hardison and a couple
dudes that have not shown anything to keep our DE rotation strong. Not smart, bringing in Freeney would be smart.
Reply/Quote