Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Preseason Game 2 WFT pros and cons
Interested to hear what people think

Pros
1. McPherson. We've been in the wilderness regarding a kicker for sometime. Sure we messed up with Elliot, but boy you have to be excited about the consistency of this guy. I'm seeing on twitter that beat writers can't remember seeing a better offseason from a kicker.

2. First team defense. I thought the unit looked really good. Dline is playing nasty the new additions to corner in Hilton and especially Awusie are playing great. The unsung player and signing of the offseason for me could well be Ogunjobi. Dude is gone be such a useful weapon in terms of interior penetration.

3. Jalen Davis looks to be a real diamond in the rough find.

4. Carmen's growth. Sure he isn't crushing first teamers but you cant ask more from the guy than what he was doing last night. Still really solid in pass pro and just playing nasty all night. Love to see it. We are in such a better position regards to the oline. We have the vets and you can see that the rookies are only going to improve.

5. Can we actually use Auden Tate this year already.

Cons

1. Our backup QB situation is awful. Allen was terrible. He doesn't really offer anything. The frustrating thing obviously is there is no alternative because the street is absolutely bare. RG3? Rosen? Bortles? Its ugly.

2. Chase. People are going to blow up about this. Sure, I can understand. But for a guy that hasnt played a year, catching wayward and hospital passes in preseason isnt a good combo. It's not a great look but neither is getting blown up in preseason. He has a bit of the yips. I'll worry if this continues into the regular season. Until then it's more disappointing then a worry for me.

3. Starting Oline. Some ugly plays on the opening series. They were going up against probably the most savage DLine in the league so I can understand the jitters but it wasn't ideal.

4. RBs. I know I'm going to be slightly in the minority here but I am far from comfortable with our current group. We know what Mixon can be but it feels like we havent seen it for a long time. Behind him, a lot of question marks for me. Patrick and Evans have shown talent but also (Evans in particular) some poor decision making. I think we are really going to miss having what Gio brought to the table year in year out.

Reply/Quote
Good Post
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
You are right about Allen. Not even third string worthy, IMO. And I will go along with you regarding Chase. I'm not sure he's going to produce big time for awhile. To be quite honest, I got bored and quit watching before halftime.

Just not the same team without Joe. Hopefully we can protect him.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2021, 08:05 AM)masonbengals fan Wrote: Good Post

Good Post
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2021, 07:53 AM)BritishBengal Wrote: Interested to hear what people think

Pros
1. McPherson. We've been in the wilderness regarding a kicker for sometime. Sure we messed up with Elliot, but boy you have to be excited about the consistency of this guy. I'm seeing on twitter that beat writers can't remember seeing a better offseason from a kicker.

2. First team defense. I thought the unit looked really good. Dline is playing nasty the new additions to corner in Hilton and especially Awusie are playing great. The unsung player and signing of the offseason for me could well be Ogunjobi. Dude is gone be such a useful weapon in terms of interior penetration.

3. Jalen Davis looks to be a real diamond in the rough find.

4. Carmen's growth. Sure he isn't crushing first teamers but you cant ask more from the guy than what he was doing last night. Still really solid in pass pro and just playing nasty all night. Love to see it. We are in such a better position regards to the oline. We have the vets and you can see that the rookies are only going to improve.

5. Can we actually use Auden Tate this year already.

Cons

1. Our backup QB situation is awful. Allen was terrible. He doesn't really offer anything. The frustrating thing obviously is there is no alternative because the street is absolutely bare. RG3? Rosen? Bortles? Its ugly.

2. Chase. People are going to blow up about this. Sure, I can understand. But for a guy that hasnt played a year, catching wayward and hospital passes in preseason isnt a good combo. It's not a great look but neither is getting blown up in preseason. He has a bit of the yips. I'll worry if this continues into the regular season. Until then it's more disappointing then a worry for me.

3. Starting Oline. Some ugly plays on the opening series. They were going up against probably the most savage DLine in the league so I can understand the jitters but it wasn't ideal.

4. RBs. I know I'm going to be slightly in the minority here but I am far from comfortable with our current group. We know what Mixon can be but it feels like we havent seen it for a long time. Behind him, a lot of question marks for me. Patrick and Evans have shown talent but also (Evans in particular) some poor decision making. I think we are really going to miss having what Gio brought to the table year in year out.

Carman finally flashed on offense.  He had a few whiffs in space, but I remember one play where he got to the second level and buried a LB.  That is nice to see at least a progression.

Although the Bengals seem to be very high on Wilson, I still think he looks lost sometimes.  On the first defensive snap, a TE ran right through his zone and Wilson just froze.  I am sure other teams saw that and will exploit it.  Sure, it was just one play, but it was almost like he thought there was a LB to his left to pick him up...there wasn't.  It was his responsibility. He also is late to fill gaps and puts his head down and doesn't shadow the RB.  

I like Tate to move the chains or for red zone, but he got zero separation against backups and bobbled both of his receptions (although he did come down with them).  I just don't see him taking snaps from Chase, Higgins, or Boyd except to give them a blow.  

Speaking of Chase....That was a Ross-like, lifeless performance.  I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt and think he will rise at home next week when they are at home and there is more energy.  It was a travel game on a short week.  But he looked flat.  

Allen's passes looked flat and WAY off target.  I am amazed that no one has picked up Bortles or RGIII.  He isn't overly athletic, either.  It's like:  what is he good at?

My biggest gripe is the coaching on offense...specifically the rushing attack.  Stop with the stupid misdirection plays and just man up and see if your line can do their job.  I have never seen a game plan where they are vanilla on pass but try to be cute on run.  Dumb.  You are supposed to be evaluating who can do something against the top talent.  

As far as your RB comment goes, it was pretty pathetic to have 55 yards of offense in the first half (only had the ball like 10 min), and Mixon needs to hit the hole harder.  He is a big man, but if he is stopped or trying to change direction, he is a lot easier to tackle.  

Bachie came back to earth and looked like a soft-armed, poor coverage LB.  

Lastly, Darius Hodge stands out almost every snap.  Dude is violent with his hands.  Some of our first string guys could learn by watching him slice arms that reach out to him.  
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2021, 08:34 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Although the Bengals seem to be very high on Wilson, I still think he looks lost sometimes.  On the first defensive snap, a TE ran right through his zone and Wilson just froze.  I am sure other teams saw that and will exploit it.  Sure, it was just one play, but it was almost like he thought there was a LB to his left to pick him up...there wasn't.  It was his responsibility. He also is late to fill gaps and puts his head down and doesn't shadow the RB.  

The TE play it was a play action and you see him bite on the run to the right which allowed the TE to run free to the left.

He did a solid job filling his run lanes but once I did see him fill c instead of d.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-21-2021, 08:34 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Carman finally flashed on offense.  He had a few whiffs in space, but I remember one play where he got to the second level and buried a LB.  That is nice to see at least a progression.

Although the Bengals seem to be very high on Wilson, I still think he looks lost sometimes.  On the first defensive snap, a TE ran right through his zone and Wilson just froze.  I am sure other teams saw that and will exploit it.  Sure, it was just one play, but it was almost like he thought there was a LB to his left to pick him up...there wasn't.  It was his responsibility. He also is late to fill gaps and puts his head down and doesn't shadow the RB.  

I like Tate to move the chains or for red zone, but he got zero separation against backups and bobbled both of his receptions (although he did come down with them).  I just don't see him taking snaps from Chase, Higgins, or Boyd except to give them a blow.  

Speaking of Chase....That was a Ross-like, lifeless performance.  I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt and think he will rise at home next week when they are at home and there is more energy.  It was a travel game on a short week.  But he looked flat.  

Allen's passes looked flat and WAY off target.  I am amazed that no one has picked up Bortles or RGIII.  He isn't overly athletic, either.  It's like:  what is he good at?

My biggest gripe is the coaching on offense...specifically the rushing attack.  Stop with the stupid misdirection plays and just man up and see if your line can do their job.  I have never seen a game plan where they are vanilla on pass but try to be cute on run.  Dumb.  You are supposed to be evaluating who can do something against the top talent.  

As far as your RB comment goes, it was pretty pathetic to have 55 yards of offense in the first half (only had the ball like 10 min), and Mixon needs to hit the hole harder.  He is a big man, but if he is stopped or trying to change direction, he is a lot easier to tackle.  

Bachie came back to earth and looked like a soft-armed, poor coverage LB.  

Lastly, Darius Hodge stands out almost every snap.  Dude is violent with his hands.  Some of our first string guys could learn by watching him slice arms that reach out to him.  

Agree with all of that. Only thing I will say about Tate. He does get it done. Yes he lacks separation looks a bit clumsy out there, but he makes a lot of plays. As a 4th receiver I just think he is such a nightmare physically. 

Totally agree with Hodge btw forgot to include him on my list. Was everywhere. Does make you think when back to health, I think our Dline is absolutely fine.

Also agree with Wilson, he seems fine, makes some nice plays but we do miss an enforcer back there. Really wonder why KJ Wright is still a FA.

Reply/Quote
Agree with everything other than starting Oline. Not sure what other folks were watching but I saw plenty of time for BA to find the open man. Running game could be better… but outside pitches to Perine isn’t going to help an Oline play well…
Reply/Quote
Patrick averaged 7 yds per carry on his 6 attempts. There was some holes on at least a handful of plays.

Reply/Quote
(08-21-2021, 09:48 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Patrick averaged 7 yds per carry on his 6 attempts. There was some holes on at least a handful of plays.

Ya I was a little pissed they waited until the 4th quarter to get him out there. I still think that toss to Perine proves this team has no idea how to handle RBs.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2021, 09:51 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Ya I was a little pissed they waited until the 4th quarter to get him out there. I still think that toss to Perine proves this team has no idea how to handle RBs.

I’m not so sure of that. Pollack has taken over as the run game coordinator, and it is just preseason after all. It will be interesting to see how Mixon does once the games start counting.

Reply/Quote
(08-21-2021, 09:55 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’m not so sure of that. Pollack has taken over as the run game coordinator, and it is just preseason after all. It will be interesting to see how Mixon does once the games start counting.

Hope so, but why run your bruiser on a toss against a team with a very quick front 7? I don’t necessarily think that’s Pollacks decision… Just seems like overthinking things.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2021, 08:39 AM)Synric Wrote: The TE play it was a play action and you see him bite on the run to the right which allowed the TE to run free to the left.

He did a solid job filling his run lanes but once I did see him fill c instead of d.

Yeah I would say the LB play overall was inconsistent. Some good, but also some bad. Not even just the first play (which I did rewatch several times trying to figure out why Wilson was so out of position) but also the opening kickoff where ADG missed a tackle. 

Reply/Quote
(08-21-2021, 10:00 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Hope so, but why run your bruiser on a toss against a team with a very quick front 7? I don’t necessarily think that’s Pollacks decision… Just seems like overthinking things.

To see how the blockers move
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-21-2021, 10:12 AM)bfine32 Wrote: To see how the blockers move

Cant do that with Mixon or Evans who are more suited for outside runs?
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2021, 10:18 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Cant do that with Mixon or Evans who are more suited for outside runs?

I'm sure they will in the regular season if they liked what they saw from the blockers

Reply/Quote
The only pros I saw last night were the young kicker looks like he can be a 10 year guy for us, and Tate continues to make difficult catches.

Outside of that, there was nothing to write home about...
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2021, 10:19 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I'm sure they will in the regular season if they liked what they saw from the blockers

Ah, so you’re saying Perine is the sacrificial lamb in this case… I can understand that thanking.
Reply/Quote
https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-preseason-week-2-game-recap-washington-football-17-cincinnati-bengals-13

Quarterbacks
Joe Burrow warmed up but did not play as he edges closer to his Week 1 return from a knee injury.
Brandon Allen was uninspiring, inaccurate and, at times, just careless with the football. He was fortunate to escape without a turnover on a throw to a wheel route from the slot, as he misread the defender before putting the ball right in his hands. Even adjusting for three drops, his completion rate was just 64.7%.
Kyle Shurmur entered the game with a little more than four minutes left in the third quarter. He fumbled on a play where there was a snap count miscommunication with his offensive line, which put him under pressure almost immediately.
Former XFL quarterback Eric Dungey also received snaps in the fourth quarter.
Player Dropbacks BTTs TWPs 1st Downs
Brandon Allen 19 0 1 4
Kyle Shurmur 5 0 1 1
Eric Dungey 9 0 0 3

Running Backs
It wasn’t a strong rushing performance from the Bengals, but Chris Evans was the back who stood out the most. On seven carries, he gained 40 yards, more than half of which came after contact.

Receivers/Tight ends
It was a night to forget for Ja’Marr Chase, as he finished with three drops on three targets. The second one was a bad case of alligator arms, as he felt an incoming hit from the safety he was being led into. The third may have been broken up even if he hadn’t dropped the ball.
Tee Higgins displayed strong hands after running a dig route on a pass behind him.
Auden Tate had the catch of the night, taking the ball away from Troy Apke despite being interfered with. He also had a great snag later in the game, holding on through a big hit. Twenty-five percent of Tate’s snaps came from the slot.
Receiver Targets Receptions Yards Routes Run Drops
Trenton Irwin 6 2 24 8 0
Ja'Marr Chase 3 0 0 7 3
Tee Higgins 3 1 11 7 0
Thaddeus Moss 3 2 6 11 0
Mike Thomas 3 3 14 13 0
Auden Tate 2 2 23 16 0
Trent Taylor 2 1 3 17 0

Offensive Line
The first-team offensive line was flagged repeatedly early in the game. Quinton Spain drew a holding penalty on a screen, and Riley Reiff quickly followed it up with a false start.
The second-team offensive line impressed despite getting some reps against Washington’s starters. Cincinnati's quarterbacks were under very little duress all game, as the offensive line combined to allow just three total pressures.

Defensive Line
Cincinnati’s defensive front looked nasty, especially early in the game against Washington’s starters. Undrafted rookie Darius Hodge again showed up after an impressive debut a week ago, running with the first team initially and notching a hit on Washington quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick. Hodge played 32 total snaps.
Rookie Cameron Sample was leading the team in pressures before a shoulder injury ended his day.

Linebackers
Second-year linebacker Logan Wilson made some plays for Cincinnati’s defense. He had a forced fumble and a tackle for loss but was also at the heart of a coverage breakdown that resulted in a Logan Thomas catch on the first play.

Secondary
Chidobe Awuzie has a lot of pressure on him this season, but he blanketed Terry McLaurin on a deep route into the end zone to break up a classic YOLO pass from  Fitzpatrick, who was under pressure.
Cornerback Jalen Davis had another strong performance after a good game last week. Davis had two defensive stops and allowed just six yards per catch in coverage.
Defensive Back Targets Receptions Yards Yards Per Reception
Jalen Davis 6 4 24 6
Darius Phillips 5 4 55 13.8
Winston Rose 4 4 33 8.3
Chidobe Awuzie 3 2 15 7.5
Mike Hilton 2 1 10 10

Reply/Quote
Very encouraging stuff from both lines.

Reply/Quote