Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
REDS JULY GAMES THREAD
Well they did it, took 3 of 4 on the road from Brewers. I figured a split was best we would get. Now if we can take 2 of 3 at home after break ? We'd only be 2 games down in the loss column. It would set us up nice for some competitive baseball down the stretch.

Unless the Cards and Cubs really turn it around they're both looking to be .500 ball clubs. Both may be dumping players before deadline ?

I'm trying to believe in the Reds
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Quote:I hate these 4 days every year. Great for the two All-Stars but boring for 4 days of no Reds baseball.
I used to look forward to the ASG back in the mid 70s.. it was pretty much the Reds vs the American League.. lol
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(07-12-2021, 11:54 AM)grampahol Wrote: I used to look forward to the ASG back in the mid 70s.. it was pretty much the Reds vs the American League.. lol

Yep

All star games were fun back in the 70's, 80's when the NL and AL never saw each other except WS. 

Like everything else they've watered it down so much.
Reply/Quote
Unlike the pro bowl the ASG is still quite competitive. Everyone wants to win the damned game and it's not some silly nonsense like team whatshisface vs team whoshisface.. I ALWAYS want the national league to win even when the Reds blow snot for ten years.. LOL
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
So, after a quality start by Mahle, looks like the Reds are determined to piss this one away..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2021, 10:20 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: So, after a quality start by Mahle, looks like the Reds are determined to piss this one away..

To be fair it wasn't really a quality start but the pen isn't helping matters any either.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
Off come the wheels…

Oh well. Get them tomorrow.

Reply/Quote
(07-16-2021, 11:07 PM)cinci4life Wrote: To be fair it wasn't really a quality start but the pen isn't helping matters any either.

Fielding could have been much better, as well.  Error by India, Winker misjudging ball off the wall, etc.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Castillo with 6 great scoreless innings and the pen blows it in the 7th. Why is Bell not using Lorenzen?
Reply/Quote
Crap Lorenzen got hurt scoring the tying run in the 10th. He went straight down to the clubhouse with the trainer. Not good.
Reply/Quote
TRASH bullpen cost them another one. It’s getting really old.

Reply/Quote
Doolittle is so fkn worthless.
Reply/Quote
Yet another extra inning game where the Reds are out of position players because Dumb Bell can't stop making useless changes "to keep the bench players fresh". Watching him make the same mistakes over and over really makes it a chore to watch this team. I'm also a fan of the Angels and for 19 years when Mike Scioscia made a move, I never once went "WTF? Why are you putting in THAT guy?". A couple of times, he pulled a pitcher earlier than I would have and that's it. Let that sink in when watching Bell run this team.

In 19 full seasons

A couple of times

I questioned or doubted Mike Scioscia.

The only reason I liked the DH in the NL last year is because it took away some of the decision making from Bell. And to be honest, the Reds haven't had a good manager since Jack McKeon('97-'00). Brian Price's winning percentage of .419 is the worst by a Cincinnati manager since Bucky Walters' .397 in '48-'49. Dusty Baker had a winning record but was a disaster with a bullpen. It appears to be a Cincinnati thing.

Even if the Reds win tomorrow, the Brewers still won this stretch of games. The Reds started this stretch of seven big games six games out . . . six games later, they are still sitting at six games out. That's a victory for Milwaukee even if they lose the last game to go 3-4 . . . seven straight games against your division leader and you only pick up one game? That's just treading water and our beloved Reds are perfectly capable of dropping that last game to fall back to seven behind.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2021, 07:14 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Yet another extra inning game where the Reds are out of position players because Dumb Bell can't stop making useless changes "to keep the bench players fresh". Watching him make the same mistakes over and over really makes it a chore to watch this team. I'm also a fan of the Angels and for 19 years when Mike Scioscia made a move, I never once went "WTF? Why are you putting in THAT guy?". A couple of times, he pulled a pitcher earlier than I would have and that's it. Let that sink in when watching Bell run this team.

In 19 full seasons

A couple of times

I questioned or doubted Mike Scioscia.

The only reason I liked the DH in the NL last year is because it took away some of the decision making from Bell. And to be honest, the Reds haven't had a good manager since Jack McKeon('97-'00). Brian Price's winning percentage of .419 is the worst by a Cincinnati manager since Bucky Walters' .397 in '48-'49. Dusty Baker had a winning record but was a disaster with a bullpen. It appears to be a Cincinnati thing.

Even if the Reds win tomorrow, the Brewers still won this stretch of games. The Reds started this stretch of seven big games six games out . . . six games later, they are still sitting at six games out. That's a victory for Milwaukee even if they lose the last game to go 3-4 . . . seven straight games against your division leader and you only pick up one game? That's just treading water and our beloved Reds are perfectly capable of dropping that last game to fall back to seven behind.

Yours and everyone else's frustration should be from the bullpen and not the lack of position players late in a game. If the pen does its job the last two games, we're not even talking about this right now. 
Reply/Quote
The Reds end the 7 game series with Brewers today. 4 games before All-Star Break in Milwaukee and 3 games after All-Star Break in Cincinnati. Milwaukee has won the series by being ahead 4 games to 2. However Reds can either make it close with a 4 to 3 series loss, or get blown out by a 5 to 2 series loss. Reds need to WIN today to avoid getting completely DOMINATED by Brewers in this 7 game All-Star Break Series. 4 to 3 shows Reds can take the field with the 1st Place Brewers. 5 to 2 shows The Reds have no business on the field with the 1st Place Brewers. SO GO REDS and WIN TODAY.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2021, 01:36 PM)kevin Wrote: The Reds end the 7 game series with Brewers today. 4 games before All-Star Break in Milwaukee and 3 games after All-Star Break in Cincinnati.  Milwaukee has won the series by being ahead 4 games to 2.  However Reds can either make it close with a 4 to 3 series loss, or get blown out by a 5 to 2 series loss.   Reds need to WIN today to avoid getting completely DOMINATED by Brewers in this 7 game All-Star Break Series.  4 to 3 shows Reds can take the field with the 1st Place Brewers.   5 to 2 shows The Reds have no business on the field with the 1st Place Brewers.  SO GO REDS and WIN TODAY.

Your math confuses me....

4 games in Milwaukee and the Reds won 3...

So how do the brewers have the 7 game set won??

The 7 game set will be split 4 to 3 to whoever wins the Sunday game...

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Never dreamed we’d get swept at home after that last series. Guess it’s a WC or bust…

Reply/Quote
Well the Reds pulled off the getting swept. They don't have a prayer without getting some major bullpen help.
Reply/Quote
Welp, that series sweep is probably the nail in this season's coffin. Being 7 games back is really hard to overcome in half of a season unless the Brewers pull a Cubs and lose 11 straight games.

They can keep trying, of course. They're 5.5 games out of the wild card spot. It's possible the Padres fall apart or it's possible the Giants, who were not expected to be very good this year, come back down to Earth in the 2nd half, lose 1st place to the Dodgers, and subsequently fall behind the Padres and Reds for wild card spots.

But the Reds are going to need a MAJOR infusion of talent in the bullpen if they want to have any chance of making the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
Only took Hendrix 4 pitches to give up 4 runs and put the game out of reach.
Reply/Quote