Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Realists Unite
(01-05-2022, 09:58 AM)grampahol Wrote: This is one of the only places where the term pessimist has been completely replaced with the term realist to make it feel like the person doing the replacing has some special insight nobody else could possibly have.

And they don't really fit the definition of "realists" because they were proven wrong many times when the Bengals made the playoffs on a regular basis.  

The opinions of the "realists" often had nothing to do with "reality".
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2022, 09:58 AM)grampahol Wrote: This is one of the only places where the term pessimist has been completely replaced with the term realist to make it feel like the person doing the replacing has some special insight nobody else could possibly have.. Everyone else just walks around in fantasyland wildly dreaming of the impossible while I, the only realist among you can see the only one truth!  I have some bad news for you realists out there in realism world.. You don't have any special anything other than an inflated ego which is OK I suppose, but all the "homers" out here? We just want a little slice of happiness once in awhile in an otherwise pretty dismal world.. So face it, by believing always that you'll never find even the slightest happiness you in fact become a bit fatalistic afraid to believe that maybe, just maybe someone else might actually know something you don't and that it's OK to dream.. Realist indeed..  Hilarious
Hey, I get about as pessimistic as the next guy, but I don't try to pass it off as some sign of super intelligence..We're all stuck in the same schmuckiness.. 

I don't like "realists" or "homers".

I like people who give fair and honest takes. I'm not so mentally soft that I need someone to tell me it's sunny outside when it's actually raining.

I'm also not so negative that I think everything sucks even when we're winning.

The worst thing about the internet is that it's created this world where people have to pick extreme sides, and dig their heels in against the enemy.

Left, right. Hater, homer. Pepsi, coke. Crip, blood. The truth is that human beings have very nuanced feelings on pretty much everything, and those feelings shouldn't be pigeonholed into a label.

I've seen the most negative posters on here say many positive things. I've also seen every last supposed homer whine and complain about something.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2022, 01:40 AM)Tony Wrote: Wow 1 time, in a losing season.. Congratulations.. You didn't hear any of that shit this year.. You really hold onto something that long from a message board?

Sure I did; I already provided example of: "If we don't beat (fill in blank) we don't deserve the playoffs". 

In my original response to your assertion that nobody wants this team to lose; I didn't mention any names, nor have I at any point in this thread. I simply stated that there are those that do wish for this team to lose and provided examples of things said; not ANYONE who said them. Makes you wonder why some folks are kicking back so much. 

Methinks Thou doth protest too much
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2022, 01:35 AM)SladeX Wrote: Whatever skepticism I have held towards any and all levels of this franchise was richly deserved. Aren't there obnoxious fans of other teams that deserve your venom more than fans of our team? Why not not just enjoy the great W? No, somehow you're trying to dredge up some kind of bitterness. NoW?

I'm going back to the afterglow.

All I did was provide the shoe..I'll leave up to folks to try it on if they desire. 

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2022, 05:34 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Sure I did; I already provided example of: "If we don't beat (fill in blank) we don't deserve the playoffs". 

In my original response to your assertion that nobody wants this team to lose; I didn't mention any names, nor have I at any point in this thread. I simply stated that there are those that do wish for this team to lose and provided examples of things said; not ANYONE who said them. Makes you wonder why some folks are kicking back so much. 

What do you get out of this? Does it make you feel better in your everyday life or something? Lol, you ain't changing anything.. Obviously,  no-one is gonna be like , " Hey that Bfine he's right, I'm gonna change my ways".. Lol it's ridiculously funny though..
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2022, 05:43 PM)Tony Wrote: What do you get out of this? Does it make you feel ........

What do folks get out of....

"Fire Zac"

"Fire Lou"

"We suck"

...Any thread started in this forum

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2022, 05:07 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I don't like "realists" or "homers".

I like people who give fair and honest takes. I'm not so mentally soft that I need someone to tell me it's sunny outside when it's actually raining.

I'm also not so negative that I think everything sucks even when we're winning.

The worst thing about the internet is that it's created this world where people have to pick extreme sides, and dig their heels in against the enemy.

Left, right. Hater, homer. Pepsi, coke. Crip, blood. The truth is that human beings have very nuanced feelings on pretty much everything, and those feelings shouldn't be pigeonholed into a label.

I've seen the most negative posters on here say many positive things. I've also seen every last supposed homer whine and complain about something.

I always saw it as three distinct groups, haters, homers, and realists. I musta missed something, cause I don't see realists as haters.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2022, 05:34 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Sure I did; I already provided example of: "If we don't beat (fill in blank) we don't deserve the playoffs". 

Call me egotistical, but I like to think my optimism in the GD thread has had a positive effect on Tony. IIRC, he used to be one of the "game over if the Bengals had a bad play in the 1st QTR kind of guys". We would certianly get into many ... discussions but now, I don't think he's said "game over" before the 4th QTR at all this season. He still complains about bad plays by the Bengals or bad calls by coaches, etc, but now it's more directed towards the players or coaches or even the team when necessary. But he doesn't say the 'game over' thing anymore AND I've even seen him post some positive stuff from time to time.

So, congrats, Tony! Hope you don't mind if I take credit for your turn around. ThumbsUp
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2022, 08:44 PM)PCB Bengal Fan Wrote: I don't post much, but is'nt there an ignore or block option for these people that a lot of you ***** about them bitching. This pisses me off more than the people who complain constantly. BLOCK OR IGNORE THEM. Some of you guys are no different than DennyG from the old boards. I despised him more than anyone. In his mind you were'nt supposed to ***** about anything the Bengals did wrong. Forgive me for wanting a playoff win before I judge this franchise to be over the hump. By the way, I've had Sunday Ticket since 97 & watched every game till last year when I decided not to let it ruin my day & just turn it off when things were going bad. I love this team more than words can describe. I think Joe B is the one to get us a SB win. Unfortunately If the front office does'nt fix the line his career will be cut short. A good line & he'll be top 2 or 3 next year. Sorry about the rant. Who Dey Who Dey Who Dey Who Dey Who Dey

Staying out of the tread is just a way to block them. Why do you care if someone blocks a poster vs staying out of the thread?

I have no problem with people being upset or venting. There is a difference between that and what the gameday thread has turned into.

When certain people go overboard with the sky is falling nonsense and sometimes full fledged trolling it takes over the whole thread. It’s no longer a thread about the game it’s about the season being over during our first loss or when we lose to the top seeded GB Packers at the end of OT. It’s about coaches being terrible after one drive didn’t end with a TD. You can either block every single poster at that point or just leave.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2022, 07:30 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Call me egotistical, but I like to think my optimism in the GD thread has had a positive effect on Tony. IIRC, he used to be one of the "game over if the Bengals had a bad play in the 1st QTR kind of guys". We would certianly get into many ... discussions but now, I don't think he's said "game over" before the 4th QTR at all this season. He still complains about bad plays by the Bengals or bad calls by coaches, etc, but now it's more directed towards the players or coaches or even the team when necessary. But he doesn't say the 'game over' thing anymore AND I've even seen him post some positive stuff from time to time.

So, congrats, Tony! Hope you don't mind if I take credit for your turn around. ThumbsUp

Congrats.  Still a muuuuch bigger shark swimming in those waters, though  Smirk
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2022, 07:21 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: I always saw it as three distinct groups, haters, homers, and realists. I musta missed something, cause I don't see realists as haters.

Agreed. A real "realist" is like the person I described: someone who gives fair and balanced takes. Gives props when they're earned, and also rips the team when called for.

A homer would probably describe that as a hater, though. LOL
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2022, 10:12 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Agreed. A real "realist" is like the person I described: someone who gives fair and balanced takes. Gives props when they're earned, and also rips the team when called for.

When the homers describe you as a hater, and the haters describe you as a homer, you know you’re doing something right.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Hater = Why are you even here? You want the Bengals to be the Bungles.
Realist = You desperately want a Super Bowl, but can't look past the Bungles.
Homer = Who Dey! Bengals #1! OMG I luv orange & black. People that say Bungles are haters!

I'm a realist trying to transition to homer status.

Who Dey
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2022, 07:21 PM)Wyche Wrote: I always saw it as three distinct groups, haters, homers, and realists. I musta missed something, cause I don't see realists as haters.

The thing is: Realist is in the eye of the beholder. 

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2022, 10:18 PM)Chip Smallwood Wrote: When the homers describe you as a hater, and the haters describe you as a homer, you know you’re doing something right.

I feel like homers (not calling anyone here one) are way more intolerant toward the other side than vice versa. But maybe I feel that way because I'm a hater? Ninja
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2022, 10:50 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I feel like homers (not calling anyone here one) are way more intolerant toward the other side than vice versa. But maybe I feel that way because I'm a hater? Ninja

Look in your mind's eye and all will be revealed.

[Image: mind-blown-explosion.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2022, 10:52 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Look in your mind's eye and all will be revealed.

[Image: mind-blown-explosion.gif]

Just checked...

[Image: donut-into-a-speech-bubble-vector-25667834.jpg]

Mellow
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2022, 11:02 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Just checked...

[Image: donut-into-a-speech-bubble-vector-25667834.jpg]

Mellow

You should have seen a jelly.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2022, 11:38 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: You should have seen a jelly.

[Image: i-just-threw-up-in-my-mouth.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2022, 10:12 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Agreed. A real "realist" is like the person I described: someone who gives fair and balanced takes. Gives props when they're earned, and also rips the team when called for.

Right.....and I've been called both, so..... LOL

(01-05-2022, 10:18 PM)Chip Smallwood Wrote: When the homers describe you as a hater, and the haters describe you as a homer, you know you’re doing something right.

Kinda like being an independent in the political realm and not a cult member. Ninja

(01-05-2022, 10:45 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The thing is: Realist is in the eye of the beholder. 

I can see that, and yes, I've seen some people I'd personally consider a hater call themselves a realist. FWIW, I don't think we have many....if any...blind homers on here. That was more prevalent on the old board. 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote