Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Receiver in first round?
(01-17-2021, 11:43 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Not sure what you mean about FAx, my point is we can try to sign a proven WR that has experience in catching deep. 

FAs = Free Agents.

I don't see how they can sign quality vet O-linemen AND Quality WRs in 1 off season. They will have to draft 1 or the other high.

I would prefer to draft a high ceiling player at a position that can afford to develop, like WR where the Bengals have talent, and sign proven, premium O linemen. Burrow needs protected NOW. A rookie unknown who has to learn the NFL game is not the way I would go for the situation the Bengals are in.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2021, 12:03 PM)PDub80 Wrote: FAs = Free Agents.

I don't see how they can sign quality vet O-linemen AND Quality WRs in 1 off season. They will have to draft 1 or the other high.

I would prefer to draft a high ceiling player at a position that can afford to develop, like WR where the Bengals have talent, and sign proven, premium O linemen. Burrow needs protected NOW. A rookie unknown who has to learn the NFL game is not the way I would go for the situation the Bengals are in.

Yes, would prefer proven OL over a Draft pick no question.

Delve into OL on the FA market along with a pass rusher.

If Sewell is there you take him otherwise go BPA in the Draft.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2021, 06:36 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yes, would prefer proven OL over a Draft pick no question.

I agree with you 100%, my concern is will the Bengals pick up a quality free agent OL or half ass it like they have been in the past?
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2021, 06:47 PM)GodFather Wrote: I agree with you 100%, my concern is will the Bengals pick up a quality free agent OL or half ass it like they have been in the past?

It's a little hard to see them really diving deeply into the OL in FA.  Given that it appears they're more likely looking at building up the defense and it seems this coaching staff has a lot of faith in the current OL roster, I could see them adding some depth with a guy, but not really going after it.  I guess time will tell, but I'll be pretty surprised if they really dive in hard. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2021, 06:51 PM)TheFan Wrote: The amount we would probably need to give up would make no sense. We already have so many other spots to fill. Especially if we get a good lineman or two in FA like I would assume we will. 

(01-17-2021, 06:57 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Trading up makes no sense at all for a team already with more needs than capital to fill them.

Well, like I mention, we'll still be rebuilding next year since Zac and Lou are still here. So I don't think it matters all that much if we give up a few extra picks if we can get the next Munoz. Zac hasn't shown he can draft non obvious picks anyway. We'll have a top ten pick next year. And I don't believe for a second we get any of the top tier o-linemen in FA.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2021, 12:03 PM)PDub80 Wrote: FAs = Free Agents.

well to put it simple "The Bengals can walk and chew gum" which means we spent roughly $150 million" last year on FA.. we can easily sign a couple Oline and a proven deep threat WR in FA.    Im not talking top end WR.. someone like Agholor or Goodwin who earned in the 1 million range this year, are not going to be getting  double digit numbers... 
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2021, 07:10 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: well to put it simple "The Bengals can walk and chew gum" which means we spent roughly $150 million" last year on FA.. we can easily sign a couple Oline and a proven deep threat WR in FA.    Im not talking top end WR.. someone like Agholor or Goodwin who earned in the 1 million range this year, are not going to be getting  double digit numbers... 

That seems pretty realistic, and is a take that I can get on board with.  The Bengals don't really need a Superstar WR right now, they need a quality role player with a specific skill set.  With that said, I'm not against the team drafting a WR in the middle rounds.  Neither Erickson or Tate seem like they're ever going to br more than just depth, and the WR class is pretty deep this year, just like it has been for several years now.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2021, 07:39 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That seems pretty realistic, and is a take that I can get on board with.  The Bengals don't really need a Superstar WR right now, they need a quality role player with a specific skill set.  With that said, I'm not against the team drafting a WR in the middle rounds.  Neither Erickson or Tate seem like they're ever going to br more than just depth, and the WR class is pretty deep this year, just like it has been for several years now.

agree just seem interesting so may on board on fixed on addressing Oline in FA regardless of Sewell but don't seem to think we can;t address WR also in FA... I would be very happy if we could lineup Boyd, Higgins,( Agholor, Godwin or Higgins Cleveland) probably at the 6M range a year. then come back with a WR/TE in 3/4 round.. and focus rounds 1-3 on on Oline and Defense...
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2021, 08:05 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: agree just seem interesting so may on board on fixed on addressing Oline in FA regardless of Sewell but don't seem to think we can;t address WR also in FA... I would be very happy if we could lineup Boyd, Higgins,( Agholor, Godwin or Higgins Cleveland) probably at the 6M range a year. then come back with a WR/TE in 3/4 round.. and focus rounds 1-3 on on Oline and Defense...

I'm not sure of the Bucs cap situation, but I would think that they would like to retain Godwin, and maybe let Evans go after the big ticket in free agency.  However, if Godwin does hit the market, I really feel like he would command much more than $6M APY.  However, landing a proven playmaker of his caliber, on a 3-5 year deal would definitely solidify the WR group for the rest of Joe's rookie contract.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2021, 06:36 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yes, would prefer proven OL over a Draft pick no question.

I agree on targeting OL in FA. Makes a lot of sense as that is what we need help with now. 

If they re-sign Lawson, I'd be fine with drafting an edge rusher to add to the rotation (as FA rushers are pricy and we likely can't afford one).

I don't think there is a glaring need at WR--where you can justify throwing a ton of money at the position. We've got 2 really good receivers already, and depth behind them (with experience). Add another draft pick anywhere in the draft and I'm happy. The lines are what need attention.

At the minimum, I'd like to see a legit guard or tackle signed in FA, as well as re-sign CB Alexander and Edge Lawson. I would like to see WJ3 re-signed as well. Of course there are lots of depth players to re-sign too. 

Let AJ walk. Tate can fill his role pretty easily (not hard to match his 2020 production). Add another receiver at some point in the draft. Trade down from 5 and pick BPA (which should line up with an edge or a lineman) and BPA with our extra 2nd rounder. Or, if FA was really good, you can take Chase as a luxory pick (but we won't be able to re-sign him so it's kind of a waste)--or stay put and draft who we view as the top edge player, or the best defensive player on the board. I really think trading down will do more to make our team better, but staying put might not be a bad option.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2021, 08:14 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm not sure of the Bucs cap situation, but I would think that they would like to retain Godwin, and maybe let Evans go after the big ticket in free agency.  However, if Godwin does hit the market, I really feel like he would command much more than $6M APY.  However, landing a proven playmaker of his caliber, on a 3-5 year deal would definitely solidify the WR group for the rest of Joe's rookie contract.

the prediction is in the 6 to 8 mil range for Godwin is what i have read.. we know there will be WRs that fit what we need in giving us a deep option (Higgins from Browns does not fit that but I like his skill set overall) though that was going to be in the 6 to 8 M a year range worth looking at in my opinion. 
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2021, 06:47 PM)GodFather Wrote: I agree with you 100%, my concern is will the Bengals pick up a quality free agent OL or half ass it like they have been in the past?

Well, from what I have heard they say they are making the OL a top priority and from what Pollack was saying was a big 
reason why he came back. Sure hope they follow through and add a top FA to the OL this Offseason.

(01-18-2021, 06:49 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: It's a little hard to see them really diving deeply into the OL in FA.  Given that it appears they're more likely looking at building up the defense and it seems this coaching staff has a lot of faith in the current OL roster, I could see them adding some depth with a guy, but not really going after it.  I guess time will tell, but I'll be pretty surprised if they really dive in hard. 

Well I was surprised last season how much they spent. Hopefully all those guys they got on D come back and we improve on 
D cause they will be healthy. Reader, Waynes, Alexander, Lawson, Tupou, Wren, WJ3, Hubbard, etc all coming back and adding
some pass rushers in the Draft might be enough to get our D decent.

The OL is where proven players need to be added the most along with a pass rusher.

I think the FO knows this and Pollack and Hobby were nice additions over Turner and Eason who will want to add a few players
where it is essential. The trenches need addressed more than anything to compete in this Division.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2021, 08:19 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: I agree on targeting OL in FA. Makes a lot of sense as that is what we need help with now. 

If they re-sign Lawson, I'd be fine with drafting an edge rusher to add to the rotation (as FA rushers are pricy and we likely can't afford one).

I don't think there is a glaring need at WR--where you can justify throwing a ton of money at the position. We've got 2 really good receivers already, and depth behind them (with experience). Add another draft pick anywhere in the draft and I'm happy. The lines are what need attention.

At the minimum, I'd like to see a legit guard or tackle signed in FA, as well as re-sign CB Alexander and Edge Lawson. I would like to see WJ3 re-signed as well. Of course there are lots of depth players to re-sign too. 

Let AJ walk. Tate can fill his role pretty easily (not hard to match his 2020 production). Add another receiver at some point in the draft. Trade down from 5 and pick BPA (which should line up with an edge or a lineman) and BPA with our extra 2nd rounder. Or, if FA was really good, you can take Chase as a luxory pick (but we won't be able to re-sign him so it's kind of a waste)--or stay put and draft who we view as the top edge player, or the best defensive player on the board. I really think trading down will do more to make our team better, but staying put might not be a bad option.

Well said. I agree with all your thoughts here honestly. Go proven OL in FA, re-sign Lawson, Alexander and WJ3.

Maybe get an edge like Derek Wolfe in FA along with the OL and go BPA in the Draft. If Sewell is there you take him though 
regardless, if not would be more than fine with Chase even if we have a lot of weapons I think Chase is a special player that 
could be what Ross was not for us and help Burrow get the deep ball going on around here.

Definitely need to get pass rushers though so have to bring back Lawson who is our only proven one right now.

TE is also a thought in all of this.
Reply/Quote
I know the talent drops off round by round but I cant help but wonder if I guy like Marquez Stevenson WR Houston had played for Alabama if he would be thought of as highly as some of the top receivers. He is 6' - 190 lbs and runs a 4.4 - 40 yard dash. Catches with his hands and if he gets space he is gone.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2021, 09:18 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Well said. I agree with all your thoughts here honestly. Go proven OL in FA, re-sign Lawson, Alexander and WJ3.

Maybe get an edge like Derek Wolfe in FA along with the OL and go BPA in the Draft. If Sewell is there you take him though 
regardless, if not would be more than fine with Chase even if we have a lot of weapons I think Chase is a special player that 
could be what Ross was not for us and help Burrow get the deep ball going on around here.

Definitely need to get pass rushers though so have to bring back Lawson who is our only proven one right now.

TE is also a thought in all of this.

It'll be a long wait until free agency, as well as the draft. Then it will be a long wait until Burrow is fully healthy and the season starts back up. Hopefully Covid goes away and everyone (that's not working) can get back to work--and sports can have their full capacity of fans in the stadiums again.

I'm excited to see what the Bengals do in free agency. They really went all out last year. I'd like to see them back it up by sorting out the offensive line. They should have a good sense about the group in front of them and who to bring back. Hart had a couple really good games, but a lot of poor games. They had a different lineup all year. So many different players got playing time, which might help in terms of evaluation--but it could make it difficult to fully judge a player when things are so unsettled as far as who's playing to the left and right of each player any given day. The coaching seemed suspect as well.

I hope Pollack can sort it out and set us up with a starting five that's more or less consistent. You see what Green Bay is doing right now and it's pretty remarkable. They had a consistent lineup all year. They lost their best lineman (the beer chugging LT--watch the youtube video where he puts Rodgers to shame) and they weren't fazed at all on Sunday.

The Bengals roster will definitely get shaken up a bit this offseason with multiple players coming to the end of their deals, and lots to sort out--especially with the offensive line. I'm sure they'll be looking at adding a tight end in FA for depth. Maybe a WR after AJ leaves. Possibly a corner. I don't see them breaking the bank on an edge not named Lawson, but they should invest heavily in the offensive line. They've got great draft position, so it will be very interesting to see what happens there. 

It's nice that hockey is started back up again in the meantime, and the NFL playoffs are entertaining this year. I'd like to see Rodgers get his second ring, but it's hard to bet against Tom Brady and the Bucs meeting up with KC in the finals. All 4 teams definitely have a shot though. Bills are playing lights out too.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2021, 04:42 AM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: It'll be a long wait until free agency, as well as the draft. Then it will be a long wait until Burrow is fully healthy and the season starts back up. Hopefully Covid goes away and everyone (that's not working) can get back to work--and sports can have their full capacity of fans in the stadiums again.

I'm excited to see what the Bengals do in free agency. They really went all out last year. I'd like to see them back it up by sorting out the offensive line. They should have a good sense about the group in front of them and who to bring back. Hart had a couple really good games, but a lot of poor games. They had a different lineup all year. So many different players got playing time, which might help in terms of evaluation--but it could make it difficult to fully judge a player when things are so unsettled as far as who's playing to the left and right of each player any given day. The coaching seemed suspect as well.

I hope Pollack can sort it out and set us up with a starting five that's more or less consistent. You see what Green Bay is doing right now and it's pretty remarkable. They had a consistent lineup all year. They lost their best lineman (the beer chugging LT--watch the youtube video where he puts Rodgers to shame) and they weren't fazed at all on Sunday.

The Bengals roster will definitely get shaken up a bit this offseason with multiple players coming to the end of their deals, and lots to sort out--especially with the offensive line. I'm sure they'll be looking at adding a tight end in FA for depth. Maybe a WR after AJ leaves. Possibly a corner. I don't see them breaking the bank on an edge not named Lawson, but they should invest heavily in the offensive line. They've got great draft position, so it will be very interesting to see what happens there. 

It's nice that hockey is started back up again in the meantime, and the NFL playoffs are entertaining this year. I'd like to see Rodgers get his second ring, but it's hard to bet against Tom Brady and the Bucs meeting up with KC in the finals. All 4 teams definitely have a shot though. Bills are playing lights out too.

Yes, hope all that Wuhan crap is behind us and we can have a somewhat regular year in 2021-2022.

The sports helps us all out that love sports, makes life tolerable. Hockey is always pretty fun to watch.

Rooting for the Bills all the way, Bills/Packers would be ideal to me.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2021, 07:10 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: well to put it simple "The Bengals can walk and chew gum" which means we spent roughly $150 million" last year on FA.. we can easily sign a couple Oline and a proven deep threat WR in FA.    Im not talking top end WR.. someone like Agholor or Goodwin who earned in the 1 million range this year, are not going to be getting  double digit numbers... 

Not opposed to that at all.

What would you then do w the #1 pick?
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2021, 08:05 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: agree just seem interesting so may on board on fixed on addressing Oline in FA regardless of Sewell but don't seem to think we can;t address WR also in FA... I would be very happy if we could lineup Boyd, Higgins,( Agholor, Godwin or Higgins Cleveland) probably at the 6M range a year. then come back with a WR/TE in 3/4 round.. and focus rounds 1-3 on on Oline and Defense...

There should be some fa options to go along with the wr we already have. Personally, I don't think wr is a huge issue, not like oline and dline. 
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2021, 10:16 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Not opposed to that at all.

What would you then do w the #1 pick?

If we add two Oline and a WR in FA.. then I am a believer we need Parsons if we stay at #5 especially if we lose Bynes who was our leading tackler and with the lack of a Dline player to pick at #5 the next best thing to help with the run is an impact LB like Parsons, I prefer to drop back add more picks , maybe pick our DE in middle of 1st round.
Reply/Quote
As everyone knows you only have so much money to spend.

We already have 2 good WR that will be making lots of money. We need a deep threat WR with 4.3-4.4 speed that teams have to respect.

I am still not sure why John Ross was not that guy unless he was too small or could not reliably catch the ball.

We should be able to find someone in the 4th-6th round that will work.
Reply/Quote