Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Receiver in first round?
(01-17-2021, 12:27 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: I think Pitts would be an amazing pick.

In a league where TEs are underutilized, Pitts enters the league already a top 10 TE. And he can line up in different spots on the field. He’s a special player a lot of people here would get upset with.

I think a lot of people are cautious of drafting a tight end high after Eifert. It just seems like tight ends are so injury prone. Kelce is the freak exception to the rule that just doesn’t get injured. Lots of tight ends get injured though. And, the 2nd round has proven a great spot to draft tight ends—likely more so than the 1st round over the years.

I’m not saying Pitts won’t be good. I’m just saying there’s reason to hold ones breath.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2021, 01:16 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: 1) Lawrence
2) Smith
3) chase
4) Sewell

That would be the worst case scenario.

The good news is that this would be GM malpractice on the parts of the Jets' and the Falcons' parts.

If you have a top 5 pick and need a QB, you take a QB. It's that simple. I hope they agree.

This is a likely scenario, and wouldn’t be terrible for us. Lots of teams would covet pick 5 for a Qb. Philly could go QB behind us. We could land a really nice trade including a 1st and 2nd. Having a pick around pick 10 and two 2nd rounders would improve this team more than picking Chase at 5. Picking Chase at 5 doesn’t improve either the offensive line or defensive line. Picking with the draft position acquired from a trade down puts us in position to improve areas of need with BPA picks.

Wouldn’t argue with picking Chase, an edge, Parsons, maybe even Pitts or Surtain though.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2021, 01:16 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: That would be the worst case scenario.

The good news is that this would be GM malpractice on the parts of the Jets' and the Falcons' parts.

If you have a top 5 pick and need a QB, you take a QB. It's that simple. I hope they agree.

Except they don't necessarily need QBs.

Matt Ryan can still play a few more seasons if he desires, so there is not a mandate to get a QB now.

Darnold is still on his rookie contract.  Remember "Suck for Sam"?  He was considered the best prospect since Andrew Luck, was he not?  One can make the argument that he hasn't worked out, so it's time for them to move on.  But no argument can be made that they were anything but a mess as a franchise.  Meanwhile, the Jets just canned the coach they hired specifically to develop him because he had worked with Manning prior, as the whole world watched his prior prospect Ryan Tannehill go from crapping the bed under his tutelage to an AFC Championship game followed by another playoff appearance away from Gase.

Both teams could, and should, put serious consideration into transactions that do not involve taking a QB.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2021, 01:52 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: This is a likely scenario, and wouldn’t be terrible for us. Lots of teams would covet pick 5 for a Qb. Philly could go QB behind us. We could land a really nice trade including a 1st and 2nd. Having a pick around pick 10 and two 2nd rounders would improve this team more than picking Chase at 5. Picking Chase at 5 doesn’t improve either the offensive line or defensive line. Picking with the draft position acquired from a trade down puts us in position to improve areas of need with BPA picks.

Wouldn’t argue with picking Chase, an edge, Parsons, maybe even Pitts or Surtain though.

????

They literally just drafted Hurts to push Wentz.  They need less QBs, not more...
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2021, 01:58 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: ????

They literally just drafted Hurts to push Wentz.  They need less QBs, not more...

Wasn’t he drafted in the 3rd round?
Reply/Quote
My bad, hurts was drafted late in the 2nd round. He did alright in his starts at the end of the year. I wouldn’t say Philly definitely has their QB situation solved though. They could go Qb if they fall in love with the right prospect. Carolina as well.
Reply/Quote
I think Atlanta will go qb,I can see them going for the Ohio state guy. Philly might take wide out or o line.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2021, 01:58 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: ????

After Peterson being let go I believe you are correct, I feel they will be going back to Wentz with a new coach to mend that relationship of HC and QB plus they still have a lot invested in him and can use Hurts at times to add another dimension to their offense.  Still if we are sitting at #5 and Sewell is gone and one QB has been taken.. be interesting to see who might want to jump to still jump to #5 especially if Eagles don;t show their hand on QB.
Reply/Quote
NYJ will not go QB
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2021, 04:25 PM)bfine32 Wrote: NYJ will not go QB

I agree, I think they take offers to trade back...I actually believe someone will trade up to take Sewell more than they would a QB or a Wr in 2nd spot.  thoughts?
Reply/Quote
I think we should be that team to trade up for Sewell.

Sure, I said if Sewell is gone, we should trade back and we probably need more upgrades than this year's draft and FA will net us. But I'm a firm believer that Zac will never have a winning season as our HC, so you might as well add the 2022 draft and FA into our rebuild plans.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2021, 06:38 PM)Older Than You Too Wrote: I think we should be that team to trade up for Sewell.

Sure, I said if Sewell is gone, we should trade back and we probably need more upgrades than this year's draft and FA will net us. But I'm a firm believer that Zac will never have a winning season as our HC, so you might as well add the 2022 draft and FA into our rebuild plans.

The amount we would probably need to give up would make no sense. We already have so many other spots to fill. Especially if we get a good lineman or two in FA like I would assume we will. 
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2021, 06:38 PM)Older Than You Too Wrote: I think we should be that team to trade up for Sewell.

Trading up makes no sense at all for a team already with more needs than capital to fill them.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2021, 01:16 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: That would be the worst case scenario.

But you can make the argument that the Jets don't need a QB (I don't believe that, but you can make the case).   You can make the argument that they just need better weapons around Darnold and good coaching.  I can definately see them passing on a QB at 2.

The Falcons are an interesting case.  They can't really do much with Ryan, so they are almost forced to stick with him.  
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 01:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I see a lot of people talking about drafting a WR with our first round pick.  That does not make any sense to me.  We already have two very good WRs in Higgins and Boyd.  A new guy might provide some improvement but not near as muc as a new guy at a position where we suck.

We desperately need help on the O-line and D-line.  We have to address those positions before we can even consider getting another receiver.

Not saying I'm for it but I understand it. In the position we are in with the 5th pick you want to land a generational talent and not just reach for a position of need. Another Reciver will make this offense almost impossible to stop
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2021, 04:21 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: After Peterson being let go  I believe you are correct, I feel they will be going back to Wentz with a new coach to mend that relationship of HC and QB plus they  still  have a lot invested in him and can use Hurts at times to add another dimension to their offense.  Still if we are sitting at #5 and Sewell is gone and one QB has been taken.. be interesting to see who might want to jump to still jump to #5 especially if Eagles don;t show their hand on QB.

I think the benching of Wentz (have you seen his massive contract so no way they can just cut him) got Peterson canned, that and losing last game of season on purpose staining the Eagles reputation with the entire league.

So no way Eagles draft a QB in round 1 unless they trade Wentz prior to draft and don't see it, too much money for new team to absorb after Wentz struggled in 2020 and has had injury issues yearly.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2021, 04:25 PM)bfine32 Wrote: NYJ will not go QB

I don't disagree with you, but I would put odds above 50% they trade #2 overall for more picks and that team drafts a QB. 

Jets have more holes to fill than us + the starting QB while young has crapped the bed thus far.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2021, 09:14 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I think the benching of Wentz (have you seen his massive contract so no way they can just cut him) got Peterson canned, that and losing last game of season on purpose staining the Eagles reputation with the entire league.

So no way Eagles draft a QB in round 1 unless they trade Wentz prior to draft and don't see it, too much money for new team to absorb after Wentz struggled in 2020 and has had injury issues yearly.

Talk out of Philly is Peterson wanted Hurts and Lurie (the owner) wanted Wentz. Wentz will be the QB in Philly next year and whoever is HC must agree. I don't think it was Peterson's call to pull Hurts in that Washington game.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2021, 09:55 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: If we are looking for proven deep threats we should look.FA, there are a few on market that are true proven deep threats .

Well, sure, but "proven" anything would always have to come from FA. But, the Bengals cannot just rely on that. No team can.

So, if given a choice, I would have to go with the Bengals having TIME to develop a rookie WR as the season goes on, right? They have talented guys there who can play. Where as the O line definitely NEEDS immediate talent. FAs would give the Bengals that talent infusion immediately. They, for the most part, would know what they would be getting.

If they take Sewell or the lineman from VA-Tech in the first, I won't be upset. If the address the line elsewhere and go WR, CB, TE, or Dline I won't be upset. FA period will provide them options!
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2021, 09:32 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Well, sure, but "proven" anything would always have to come from FA. But, the Bengals cannot just rely on that. No team can.

So, if given a choice, I would have to go with the Bengals having TIME to develop a rookie WR as the season goes on, right? They have talented guys there who can play. Where as the O line definitely NEEDS immediate talent. FAs would give the Bengals that talent infusion immediately. They, for the most part, would know what they would be getting.

If they take Sewell or the lineman from VA-Tech in the first, I won't be upset. If the address the line elsewhere and go WR, CB, TE, or Dline I won't be upset. FA period will provide them options!

Not sure what you mean about FAx, my point is we can try to sign a proven WR that has experience in catching deep. 
Reply/Quote