Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds August 16th to August 31st Games Thread
(08-27-2020, 03:22 PM)McC Wrote: Go ahead and tear it all down...yet again.  It might point to a brighter future somewhere down the road if it weren't for the Reds' uncanny ability to **** up a wet dream.

I think they are close, so I wouldn’t tear it all down, but should be making moves for next season and opening spots for top prospects like Stephenson, Garcia, Lodolo.
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2020, 03:25 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I think they are close, so I wouldn’t tear it all down, but should be making moves for next season and opening spots for top prospects like Stephenson, Garcia, Lodolo.

Somehow, they have to bring in some damn hitters.  The lack of hitting looks like it's starting to wear on the starting pitching.  You can't go out there night after night knowing you have to be perfect.

And somehow, Votto has to go.  Right now, he's a new breed of bird--the Canadian albatross.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(08-27-2020, 03:35 PM)McC Wrote: Somehow, they have to bring in some damn hitters.  The lack of hitting looks like it's starting to wear on the starting pitching.  You can't go out there night after night knowing you have to be perfect.

And somehow, Votto has to go.  Right now, he's a new breed of bird--the Canadian albatross.

I just don’t know what to do with Votto. That’s a big contract to eat. His defense is still ok, so if he’s kept he really needs to be dropped down to the 6-8 spot in the batting order.

I think getting Garcia and Stephenson into the lineup would help the offense and it looks like Suárez is finally starting to get his swing back.
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2020, 03:40 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I just don’t know what to do with Votto. That’s a big contract to eat. His defense is still ok, so if he’s kept he really needs to be dropped down to the 6-8 spot in the batting order.

I think getting Garcia and Stephenson into the lineup would help the offense and it looks like Suárez is finally starting to get his swing back.

They don't seem to want to play Stephenson at all. Is he even on the team?  Why are they so intent on sending .180 Barnhart out there night after night?   It still breaks my heart that they weren't able to land Rialmuto or Grandal and that they had Grandal and sent him away.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
Thought I would share this here.

https://twitter.com/lost_ballparks/status/1298997874156437508
Reply/Quote
That was a nice win....BUT....they need both ends of double header or they lose series to Brewers. Splitting Series GOOD. Splitting Double Header BAD...GO REDS.

Gray was great. I like the new shortstop brought up. I still can't believe shortstop Galvis the other night. Bases Loaded, 1 Out, Reds down 3 to 2, somebody singled into outfield, and Galvis didn't even score from 3rd, out at home. Is Galvis that slow or what. Reds fail to score bases loaded and lose game. So I'm very happy the new shortstop brought up and gave a Spark to Reds getting them out of losing streak.

OH NO...It's Miley in 2nd game today, last game of 4 game series...Lindblom for Brewers and he has close to 7 run ERA. We need that pitching Miley and his 9 run ERA.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Reds have 2 on, 1 out in 2nd...then 2 outs....Farmer knocks in a run....Barnhart knocks in another run..So glad Reds aren't coming away with nothing.

I don't hear Reds announcers talking trying to split series, but Reds do NOT want to lose back to back series to Cardinals and Brewers who Reds are chasing for play-offs.

2 to 0 after 2 of 7 inning game.

No runs by Reds in 3rd, but Lindblom up to 54 pitches.

Brewers have action, runner on 2nd, 1 out....runner on 3rd, 2 outs...YELICH....3 outs. Miley just under 50 pitches. End of 3.

Still 2-0, but Lindblom up to 75 pitches with Reds batters 3rd time around in 5th.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2020, 09:23 PM)kevin Wrote: That was a nice win....BUT....they need both ends of double header or they lose series to Brewers.  Splitting Series GOOD.  Splitting Double Header BAD...GO REDS.

Gray was great.  I like the new shortstop brought up.  I still can't believe shortstop Galvis the other night.  Bases Loaded, 1 Out, Reds down 3 to 2,  somebody singled into outfield, and Galvis didn't even score from 3rd, out at home.  Is Galvis that slow or what.  Reds fail to score bases loaded and lose game.  So I'm very happy the new shortstop brought up and gave a Spark to Reds getting them out of losing streak.

OH NO...It's Miley in 2nd game today, last game of 4 game series...Lindblom for Brewers and he has close to 7 run ERA.  We need that pitching Miley and his 9 run ERA.

Well the good news is Votto not in either game ! Rock On

I'm hoping we got lucky and they found some team willing to trade a bat boy and juggs machine for him.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
End of 4....2 to 0....Miley around 60 pitches...Now get after Lindblom at 75 facing Reds hitters 3rd time in 5th.....Nope, Brewers starting with Peralta. They want to come back and win series.

Castellanis hit gapper but runner called out at home. REPLAY...he was SAFE 3-0....Winker knocks in Cast and 4-0 and 1 out.

2 outs...Moose walked...Brewers manager thrown out of game.

4-0 Reds. Come On Reds, Need To Split This Series.

Reds go with Sims. Miley goes 4, 1 hit, 0 runs.

End of 5....4-0.....2 more innings....NEED this Split.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
REDS WIN BOTH GAMES....and come back and split the 4 game series.

Again, that was huge. Reds could NOT afford to lose to Cardinals and Brewers back to back.

The Split keeps Reds right in Play-Off hunt.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2020, 12:24 AM)kevin Wrote: REDS WIN BOTH GAMES....and come back and split the 4 game series.

Again, that was huge. Reds could NOT afford to lose to Cardinals and Brewers back to back.  

The Split keeps Reds right in Play-Off hunt.

They needed it bad, real bad.
Reply/Quote
Two for two in double headers swept.

If they play like this, who knows what might happen?

Reply/Quote
(08-28-2020, 02:02 AM)McC Wrote: Two for two in double headers swept.

If they play like this, who knows what might happen?

The next seven are at home vs. Cubs and Cards. If they can somehow win 5 of em ?
Reply/Quote
Reds are 5-0 when Votto doesn't start.
Reply/Quote
OK, so Reds salvaged a sweep and did some damage control. Reds tied with Brewers for 3rd, but neither in 3rd place play-off spot which would go to Rockies and Phillies. Phillies being the worst record of the 2.

Now comes 4 game series with Chicago Cubs in 1st, followed by 3 game series with St Louis Cardinals in 2nd.

A win tonight is huge because if you win game 1, you eliminate chance of being swept. You set up better chance of getting a split. Maybe even winning. ...If Reds lose tonight, they will be playing behind and could lose series, even get swept.

Reds have Mahle on the mound. They are trying to save Antone with Bauer Saturday. Disco off, wife having a baby. Sims used 2 innings last night as Bell took Miley out after 4 with a 1 hit, 0 run game, around 60 pitches, Sims started 5th and 6th. So Mahle on the mound and maybe rule out and Antone and Sims as long relief help. So if Mahle doesn't have it, it could fall to Stephenson, Lorenzen, Biddle, Jones, Thornburg as one of them in early.

The Reds used new shortstop last night and Reds plan to play him a lot. I don't know where that leaves Moose, Votto, Galvis, Farmer, but announcers said Reds thinking Galvis at 2nd. That would mean Moose or Votto as DH and Reds in 2020 do need a solid DH. Castillo and Winker have locked up 2 of OF spots. Shogo seeing a lot of action in CF with Senzel out. Lead-off hitter not so good for Reds. Votto does have one of best on base % in baseball history, he is up there with the greats on that.

I'm not sure what short season trade deadline is. Votto didn't play in double header, but that could be anything.

Mahle on the mound. I think Hendricks for Cubs. Reds new shortstop shakes up line-up a lot. They are looking at DP combo of Garcia & Galvis at SS & 2nd. That means Moose or Votto to DH...we will see.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2020, 06:03 AM)Goalpost Wrote: Reds are 5-0 when Votto doesn't start.

I'd love it, LOVE IT ! If they traded him.
Reply/Quote
With Covid & Black Lives Matter postponed games, maybe more to come, MLB Season is on Shaky Ground. I don't know how wise trades going into September are. This is not a normal season or a normal trade deadline, if there is one. I think Reds having enough problems tinkering with new players to make trades. Reds are still in play-off hunt. I would like to see some young guys in September such as Garcia and some Stephenson at catcher in September as they brought up Bench late in 1967 season. Reds are putting more into Minor Leagues than other teams who dumped minors in Covid 2020. I think it's a smart move Reds didn't dump Minors but picked up players other teams dumped in not paying Minors.

I think major trades in September is not very smart. It's too late. A player on the cheap that goes free agent after season isn't here long. Reds are trying to put together Team Chemistry as if April going into May due to Covid missed months. MLB could shut season down any day. I like the idea of hitting Cubs, Cardinals this week with team we have. We could use Senzel back when he is off Covid thing. Castellanos, Winker, Senzel would make a good hitting OF if he comes back.

I'm not big on Covid Trade Deadline ideas, too late to build chemistry, THIS is our Team. Go beat Cubs & Cardinals. This is NOT a normal season. I think in 2021 it gets semi-normal, especially when a good vaccine comes out. I think, per Doctors not Politicians, that 2021 Reds can get players into a training camp and a more regular long season to see who goes, who stays. Fans love to talk trades. I say Covid has team messed up enough. Heck, any more postponed games and MLB may have to shut 2020 down.

No Trades...Beat Cubs tonight....Keep thinking play-offs....but don't be surprised if it all gets stopped.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Wow, Votto a healthy scratch again. Hasn’t played since Tuesday. Maybe Bell finally realized he was wasting the season by trotting our guys that aren’t performing, regardless of contract or vet status.
Reply/Quote
Ervin DFA'd, Miley put on 10 day IL, Disco activated from paternity list , and Jose De Leon recalled.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/08/reds-designate-phillip-ervin-sign-jay-jackson.html
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2020, 02:29 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Wow, Votto a healthy scratch again. Hasn’t played since Tuesday. Maybe Bell finally realized he was wasting the season by trotting our guys that aren’t performing, regardless of contract or vet status.

Bell said Votto would be back in the lineup at some point but he didn't say it would be right away. 

It was like somebody flipped a switch yesterday the different way they played.  How weird would it be if benching Votto was that switch?

Reply/Quote