Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds August 16th to August 31st Games Thread
(08-25-2020, 11:26 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: I disagree on the Votto call, Cinci. I see it as Votto's wimpy approach screws up again.

Was Ted Williams a "wimpy" hitter also?  He took bases on balls more often than Votto.

Problem with Votto is not that he is "wimpy".  The problem is that he has lost his hitting eye and/or stroke.  Now down to .191 avg.
Reply/Quote
I knew hiring a hitting coach whose only big league experience as a coach was one year with the Padres would be a problem.

It’s deja vu all over again. We hired the guy from the Dodgers, they hit better after he left. We hire the guy from the Padres, they hit better after he left.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2020, 12:49 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I knew hiring a hitting coach whose only big league experience as a coach was one year with the Padres would be a problem.

It’s deja vu all over again. We hired the guy from the Dodgers, they hit better after he left. We hire the guy from the Padres, they hit better after he left.

Based on batting averages around MLB, I'm gonna go out on  a limb and say there just aren't enough good ones to go around.

Also, how much can a hitting coach do when these guys keep getting themselves out the same way over and over again?  Suarez--hey, let me take a first pitch fastball right down the middle and then swing at three sliders in the dirt.  Castellanos--I will swing at every outside curve in the dirt that anybody throws me, I swear to God I will.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
The biggest problem right now is Votto being a giant anchor dragging down the whole ship. Somebody published an article yesterday about Votto's remarkably low strikeout rate. Votto responded by whiffing four times last night.

Okay, I get it, with the money he makes, he has to play. But does he have to hit first, second or third?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(08-26-2020, 12:40 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Was Ted Williams a "wimpy" hitter also?  He took bases on balls more often than Votto.

Problem with Votto is not that he is "wimpy".  The problem is that he has lost his hitting eye and/or stroke.  Now down to .191 avg.

That's a really poor comparison. Pitchers were afraid of Ted Williams, known as the Greatest Hitter That Ever Lived.

Why the Hell would pitchers be afraid of Votto? He's not even the greatest Canadian hitter that ever lived.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2020, 04:02 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: That's a really poor comparison. Pitchers were afraid of Ted Williams, known as the Greatest Hitter That Ever Lived.

Why the Hell would pitchers be afraid of Votto? He's not even the greatest Canadian hitter that ever lived.

It has nothing to do with the pitchers.  It is about taking some strikes in order to get the best pitch to hit.  It is not "wimpy".  It is smart.

You honestly think Votto's production will go up if he starts swinging at more questionable pitches?  Joey's current problems are not due to taking strikes.  They are due to his diminished hitting skills.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2020, 02:21 PM)McC Wrote: The biggest problem right now is Votto being a giant anchor dragging down the whole ship.  Somebody published an article yesterday about Votto's remarkably low strikeout rate.  Votto responded by whiffing four times last night.

Okay, I get it, with the money he makes, he has to play.  But does he have to hit first, second or third?

Yep, Votto's a head case. He needs to be batting like 8th. He has zero, less than zero business being leadoff he runs like my grandma.

What's he batting now like .190 ? pathetic ! But you have to actually swing the bat to get your average up. His only concern is (his) OBP.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2020, 05:16 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yep, Votto's a head case. He needs to be batting like 8th. He has zero, less than zero business being leadoff he runs like my grandma.

What's he batting now like .190 ? pathetic ! But you have to actually swing the bat to get your average up. His only concern is (his) OBP.

Defensively, he has turned to shit too.   Here, let me bounce a throw off a runner's back and get no outs on a simple ground ball.  

Reply/Quote
How about some kind of shaking things up? Are there any kids worth looking at? Maybe something other than running the same totally ineffective lineup out there night after night, saying over and over and over again that you believe in your guys who continue to look lost at the plate. If what you're doing is so clearly not working, how about at least trying something else? At least pretend that you care. It's a good thing for the Reds that there are no fans in the stands.

Reply/Quote
(08-26-2020, 05:23 PM)McC Wrote: How about some kind of shaking things up?  Are there any kids worth looking at?   Maybe something other than running the same totally ineffective lineup out there night after night, saying over and over and over again that you believe in your guys who continue to look lost at the plate.  If what you're doing is so clearly not working, how about at least trying something else?  At least pretend that you care.  It's a good thing for the Reds that there are no fans in the stands.

Yep, Barnhart is hitting like .170, just wow ! Now he's a good defensive catcher but you just can't tolerate .170. Why not bring that Stephenson back up ? Put Aquino out in LF, do something geezz. 

Like you say there's no time to just "believe in our guys"
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2020, 05:45 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yep, Barnhart is hitting like .170, just wow ! Now he's a good defensive catcher but you just can't tolerate .170. Why not bring that Stephenson back up ? Put Aquino out in LF, do something geezz. 

Like you say there's no time to just "believe in our guys"

Show me something, anything.  Just pretend to give a shit.  Where the **** is the accountability?  Are they all just guaranteed a job for life?

Reply/Quote
Garcia called up and starting at SS tonight.
Reply/Quote
No game tonight. Brewers are boycotting like the Bucks did with their NBA game.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2020, 06:27 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Garcia called up and starting at SS tonight.

Good.  He can probably hit .200 as well as anybody else on the team.

Reply/Quote
No disrespect to the gesture intended but the Reds have basically been boycotting the last couple weeks anyway.

So, how does this work? Is the season over or do they boycott one game which is later made up with a 7 inning double header or what? What about the other teams that have already played or are still going to play tonight? Do they just not care about the cause?

Reply/Quote
(08-26-2020, 08:26 PM)McC Wrote: So, how does this work?  Is the season over or do they boycott one game which is later made up with a 7 inning double header or what?  What about the other teams that have already played or are still going to play tonight?  Do they just not care about the cause?

7 inning double header tomorrow which helps Cincy.

I'm guessing this is a local issue with MLB since they don't have many African American players compared to white or hispanic players. The black hispanic players didn't grow up with the fear of American Police officers so this is one of a million other things they have to adjust to in a new country or culture.

The NBA is consisted of mostly African American players so I can understand why the whole league boycotted.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2020, 10:48 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: 7 inning double header tomorrow which helps Cincy.

I'm guessing this is a local issue with MLB since they don't have many African American players compared to white or hispanic players. The black hispanic players didn't grow up with the fear of American Police officers so this is one of a million other things they have to adjust to in a new country or culture.

The NBA is consisted of mostly African American players so I can understand why the whole league boycotted.

I get it.  I support what they're doing.  It's something anyway.  But the people in charge of police departments have to make the changes.  What are they doing to change things?

The problem is, it's such a complicated process in the real world.

First is the number of the type of cops who will shoot in these type situations.  They might be cops for year before such a situation happens to them.  How do you know when you hire them if they have that in them.

It's a matter of losing their cool under duress.  You can't simulate that at the academy.

So, first, you have to find them and then you have to weed them out. 

And you have to change policy but you can't be too soft. 

It's like saying get rid of gas burning cars.  Okay.  What's the first step?

Sorry for derailing the thread. As you were.

Reply/Quote
MLB Tonight just said that the 21-10 Oakland A's team bullpen ERA is 1.91.
Currently going to the ninth with a 3-1 lead. You win a lot of 3-1 games with a good bullpen.

Here's to a 7 inning doubleheader tomorrow.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
Seeing Bauer’s name in trade rumors today. If it’s the Reds initiating it, then season over. If it’s other teams calling then might not be over. Personally, I’m all for trading him. No way we re-sign him in the off-season, appears we aren’t winning anything this year, could bring in a couple top tier prospects.
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2020, 03:02 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Seeing Bauer’s name in trade rumors today. If it’s the Reds initiating it, then season over. If it’s other teams calling then might not be over. Personally, I’m all for trading him. No way we re-sign him in the off-season, appears we aren’t winning anything this year, could bring in a couple top tier prospects.

Go ahead and tear it all down...yet again.  It might point to a brighter future somewhere down the road if it weren't for the Reds' uncanny ability to **** up a wet dream.

Reply/Quote