Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds Month of July Game Thread
If Iglesias makes the play at first instead of trying to be cute, the next hitter hit a sac fly to make it 7-3 . . . which means the Reds should have been batting in the bottom of the 6th leading 7-2. That sac fly should have been the third out.

His attempt at a Web Gem highlight turned into 8 runs that shouldn't have happened. That's two runs on Mahle, two runs on Bowman and 4 unearned runs on Hughes that should have never happened. Bowman should have had a groundout and a flyout and end of inning. Hughes gets a blown save and takes the loss due to a dumb decision by a SS. UNACCEPTABLE!!!

Peraza needs to start at SS today and tomorrow and I wouldn't say a word to Iglesias unless he asked me something. Basically saying, "I appreciate the effort and the skill, but I need you to think about the game". I'd give him this weekend to think. I wouldn't even put him in to pinch hit, unless I'd be forced to in extra innings, just to let him think. The first night, he'd probably expect it. Trying to sleep the second night will be more difficult after going to the ballpark expecting to play on Sunday, he'll get it. On Monday, I'd call him into the office, tell him to stay focused and either put him back as a starter or use him in a double switch later in the game.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2019, 10:22 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: If Iglesias makes the play at first instead of trying to be cute, the next hitter hit a sac fly to make it 7-3 . . . which means the Reds should have been batting in the bottom of the 6th leading 7-2. That sac fly should have been the third out.

His attempt at a Web Gem highlight turned into 8 runs that shouldn't have happened. That's two runs on Mahle, two runs on Bowman and 4 unearned runs on Hughes that should have never happened. Bowman should have had a groundout and a flyout and end of inning. Hughes gets a blown save and takes the loss due to a dumb decision by a SS. UNACCEPTABLE!!!

Peraza needs to start at SS today and tomorrow and I wouldn't say a word to Iglesias unless he asked me something. Basically saying, "I appreciate the effort and the skill, but I need you to think about the game". I'd give him this weekend to think. I wouldn't even put him in to pinch hit, unless I'd be forced to in extra innings, just to let him think. The first night, he'd probably expect it. Trying to sleep the second night will be more difficult after going to the ballpark expecting to play on Sunday, he'll get it. On Monday, I'd call him into the office, tell him to stay focused and either put him back as a starter or use him in a double switch later in the game.

Yep !

Votto not getting in front of that ball a couple runs later, that's fielding 101. Votto not sprinting for the bag, right before the grand slam the other night, he dove for the tag....he didn't have to tag it was a force !

There has been a bunch of sloppy defense over the past several games and it's been a big factor in several losses. Lazy, uninspired, lacking awareness, and Iglesias's hot dogging. Just awful !

This team is now 9 games below .500 and there's just to many teams ahead of them......it's over
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2019, 11:18 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yep !

Votto not getting in front of that ball a couple runs later, that's fielding 101. Votto not sprinting for the bag, right before the grand slam the other night, he dove for the tag....he didn't have to tag it was a force !

There has been a bunch of sloppy defense over the past several games and it's been a big factor in several losses. Lazy, uninspired, lacking awareness, and Iglesias's hot dogging. Just awful !

This team is now 9 games below .500 and there's just to many teams ahead of them......it's over

The Reds...   MLB's favorite AAAA talent supply to the real contenders..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
It is hard not to be negative at this point because the Reds were so close this year. Paying a player 25 million per year (Votto) for this kind of production is an anchor to the team's boat that is sinking into the abyss of last place again. Reds are stuck with Votto for 4 more years and have an option to opt out the 5th year. 4 more years. Nervous

Reds have to package some players to get arms. Whether that includes players like Winker, Castillo, Puig, Gennett, to move Votto as well so be it. Reds can ask a King's ransom for Castillo and probably get it from the right team.

Then there is Roark. What to do with him? Trade him? Sign him to a 4 year contract?
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
I wonder what Votto’s actual value will end up being this year to the Reds? 7-8 mil?
Reply/Quote
This is what scares me about Lorenzen . . . he just walked a .200 hitter because he thought that there were only 2 balls on the batter, then he gives up a double.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
REDS WIN!!!
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
I want to see an outfield of Ervin, Senzel and VanMeter for at least a game. All three are from the Reds farm system, although Senzel was almost ready when he got into the system.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
That was a nice win Saturday. They came back on a pitcher that was tough last year and has been tough lately. Good Team Win.

Now go out a split the series Sunday. Big game. They can tie the series or lose the series, a big difference. A tie keeps Reds hopes alive. They fell back, but not that far back. Plus Reds were injury riddled in Chicago, but now team starting to look healthy again. Players back and new players stepping up. A good blend of youth and veterans.

Beat St Louis Sunday and get out of this series with a tie. No Quit. Keep Fighting. Reds really are as good as anybody in the NL Central. Win Sunday with over 2 months to go to stay in this thing and move on up. The best of Reds baseball may be the last 2 months as team really comes together.

1:10 today, Disco vs Flaherty....again, hanging a loss on division St Louis and trying this series would be a much needed win.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Don't look now, but after squeaking out a one run victory, the Reds just might be contenders again. Ninja

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2019, 04:39 AM)kevin Wrote: That was a nice win Saturday. They came back on a pitcher that was tough last year and has been tough lately. Good Team Win.

Now go out a split the series Sunday. Big game. They can tie the series or lose the series, a big difference. A tie keeps Reds hopes alive. They fell back, but not that far back. Plus Reds were injury riddled in Chicago, but now team starting to look healthy again. Players back and new players stepping up. A good blend of youth and veterans.

Beat St Louis Sunday and get out of this series with a tie. No Quit. Keep Fighting. Reds really are as good as anybody in the NL Central. Win Sunday with over 2 months to go to stay in this thing and move on up. The best of Reds baseball may be the last 2 months as team really comes together.

1:10 today, Disco vs Flaherty....again, hanging a loss on division St Louis and trying this series would be a much needed win.

I admire your positivity, you’re much more optimistic than I am!
Reply/Quote
Bases loaded and no one out and can't even score a single run. SMH
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
At the end of Reds game and few fans in the celebration area on TV. Jim Day says, the crowd must be a little tired.....No Jim, there's NOTHING to celebrate. That was a lousy loss in a lousy series. The Reds hitting was awful today. Iglesias in relief is awful lately. We can add a runner on in the 9th and Votto makes the last out and that makes 2 of the losses to St Louis were Votto makes the last out. 8 home runs on the year. WOW, at that pace he will hit 12 home runs for a First Baseman, which is awful. Iglesias has given up 8 home runs as Reds ace reliever, which is awful.

I wish I could post something positive about Reds this Sunday afternoon. There just isn't anything positive to post. That was a very negative outing. I see Reds posting message that Dish TV and some other thing are not having Reds on Fox Ohio starting Monday. Reds did little today on the field to help their TV situation. Year after year of last place may be starting to hurt TV contract.

So the lost this week to Cubs and Cardinals. Not how you get back in the race. Not how you get to .500 ball. So NO Jim Day, it's not that the fans were too tired from the heat to celebrate after the game, there just isn't anything to celebrate. THERE IS NO JOY IN MUDVILLE, MIGHTY CASEY HAS STRUCK OUT.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2019, 05:56 PM)kevin Wrote: At the end of Reds game and few fans in the celebration area on TV. Jim Day says, the crowd must be a little tired.....No Jim, there's NOTHING to celebrate. That was a lousy loss in a lousy series. The Reds hitting was awful today. Iglesias in relief is awful lately. We can add a runner on in the 9th and Votto makes the last out and that makes 2 of the losses to St Louis were Votto makes the last out. 8 home runs on the year. WOW, at that pace he will hit 12 home runs for a First Baseman, which is awful. Iglesias has given up 8 home runs as Reds ace reliever, which is awful.

I wish I could post something positive about Reds this Sunday afternoon. There just isn't anything positive to post. That was a very negative outing. I see Reds posting message that Dish TV and some other thing are not having Reds on Fox Ohio starting Monday. Reds did little today on the field to help their TV situation. Year after year of last place may be starting to hurt TV contract.

So the lost this week to Cubs and Cardinals. Not how you get back in the race. Not how you get to .500 ball. So NO Jim Day, it's not that the fans were too tired from the heat to celebrate after the game, there just isn't anything to celebrate. NO JOY IN MUDVILLE.

I can tell that you’re a passionate fan and that you’re still holding onto an outside chance that the team will claw back into the wildcard. I’m kinda knew where it was headed after the two Indians games right before the half. That’s when you see focus. The Indians were closing out the half and the Reds were seemingly focused on their days off. Another time to focus extra hard is to begin the second half and the Reds fundamentals have been crap while the Cards and Cubs did the little things. Another huge focus time in to begin the year and the Reds didn’t have their heads in it then either. Votto is aging but I think he’s messed up more mentally than physically. The bullpen has had a rough stretch, every bullpen does during 162. There are 30 MLB teams, The Reds have given up less runs than every team but 2. The Reds have scored less runs than every team but 4. There seems to be a lot more glee in their eyes after a homerun than there is after a win. I know that there’s several players into lifting weights. I’m not sure if there’s more of a macho focus on homeruns or what but I just don’t see hitters and fielders being consistently focused.
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2019, 06:27 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: I can tell that you’re a passionate fan and that you’re still holding onto an outside chance that the team will claw back into the wildcard.  I’m kinda knew where it was headed after the two Indians games right before the half. That’s when you see focus. The Indians were closing out the half and the Reds were seemingly focused on their days off. Another time to focus extra hard is to begin the second half and the Reds fundamentals have been crap while the Cards and Cubs did the little things. Another huge focus time in to begin the year and the Reds didn’t have their heads in it then either. Votto is aging but I think he’s messed up more mentally than physically. The bullpen has had a rough stretch, every bullpen does during 162. There are 30 MLB teams, The Reds have given up less runs than  every team but 2. The Reds have scored less runs than every team but 4. There seems to be a lot more glee in their eyes after a homerun than there is after a win. I know that there’s several players into lifting weights. I’m not sure if there’s more of a macho focus on homeruns or what but I just don’t see hitters and fielders being consistently focused.

Votto is 35 and has had some bad injuries over the years.  He will be 36 next season.  Most players do NOT get better as they reach 40, they get worse as in declining skills.  I saw an old Tony Perez who would hit what use to be homers becoming warning track outs.  I saw Pete Rose who's hits use to singles and doubles turn into routine ground outs, as Me and some Friends came up with a chant, " Take A Seat Pete ".  Votto has had 2 bad years in a row.  To think that he is going to get better as he is reaching 40 probably won't happen.   I have to give Votto credit in that he has one of the best OBP in history of baseball and in the top 10 or top 20 all-time.  However he no longer has home run power, but warning track power.  The sad fact is the Reds could easily find someone to play First Base for less money with more Home Run Pop in his bat. Dietrich has more power.  The Reds overload in OF could have somebody start practicing at first.  If Stargell and Dunn could move to first base, it can't be that impossible. 

Votto on pace to hit 12 home runs in 2019. A team should be looking for 30 or more at First Base. As he now gets into his late 30's pushing 40, he may have more warning track power than homer power. I notice he doesn't bat in the power part of line-up last few years. A slow running table setter.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2019, 08:00 PM)kevin Wrote: Votto is 35 and has had some bad injuries over the years.  He will be 36 next season.  Most players do NOT get better as they reach 40, they get worse as in declining skills.  I saw an old Tony Perez who would hit what use to be homers becoming warning track outs.  I saw Pete Rose who's hits use to singles and doubles turn into routine ground outs, as Me and some Friends came up with a chant, " Take A Seat Pete ".  Votto has had 2 bad years in a row.  To think that he is going to get better as he is reaching 40 probably won't happen.   I have to give Votto credit in that he has one of the best OBP in history of baseball and in the top 10 or top 20 all-time.  However he no longer has home run power, but warning track power.  The sad fact is the Reds could easily find someone to play First Base for less money with more Home Run Pop in his bat. Dietrich has more power.  The Reds overload in OF could have somebody start practicing at first.  If Stargell and Dunn could move to first base, it can't be that impossible. 

Votto on pace to hit 12 home runs in 2019. A team should be looking for 30 or more at First Base. As he now gets into his late 30's pushing 40, he may have more warning track power than homer power. I notice he doesn't bat in the power part of line-up last few years. A slow running table setter.

The thing with Votto is that his additional Homeruns and RBI won’t matter much for his Hall of Fame bid as they aren’t impressive anyways. The numbers that do matter are his OBP and AVG and those will probably decline quite a bit with 4 more years of play. It may cost him the HOF.
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2019, 05:56 PM)kevin Wrote: At the end of Reds game and few fans in the celebration area on TV. Jim Day says, the crowd must be a little tired.....No Jim, there's NOTHING to celebrate.  That was a lousy loss in a lousy series.  The Reds hitting was awful today.  Iglesias in relief is awful lately.  We can add a runner on in the 9th and Votto makes the last out and that makes 2 of the losses to St Louis were Votto makes the last out.  8 home runs on the year.  WOW, at that pace he will hit 12 home runs for a First Baseman, which is awful.  Iglesias has given up 8 home runs as Reds ace reliever, which is awful.

I wish I could post something positive about Reds this Sunday afternoon.  There just isn't anything positive to post. That was a very negative outing.  I see Reds posting message that Dish TV and some other thing are not having Reds on Fox Ohio starting Monday.  Reds did little today on the field to help their TV situation.  Year after year of last place may be starting to hurt TV contract.

So the lost this week to Cubs and Cardinals. Not how you get back in the race. Not how you get to .500 ball.  So NO Jim Day, it's not that the fans were too tired from the heat to celebrate after the game, there just isn't anything to celebrate.  THERE IS NO JOY IN MUDVILLE, MIGHTY CASEY HAS STRUCK OUT.

They're not going to get back in the race. There's one team in the entire NL with a worse record then them, Marlins. When you have two, three teams to be better than the rest of the way there's a bit of hope. When you have to be better than the entire league the rest of the way.........
Reply/Quote
Reds vs Brewers. Sonny Gray vs Chase Anderson. Reds need to win this one and set up winning the series. Reds in dire need of a series win right now. Stop the losing and get a series win. A win tonight is greatly needed. The Reds pitching coach might be helpful in making out Reds batting order. Coming from Brewers, he knows what type hitters Chase has trouble with. Get the 8 batters in line-up with the best chance to chase Chase.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Votto just hasn't driven in runs....25 rbi's on a pace for 42. He currently sits 8th on the club in rbi's, but in reality he is 9th , if you put the platoon catchers together. He's hitting .219 in July.
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2019, 08:52 AM)Goalpost Wrote: Votto just hasn't driven in runs....25 rbi's on a pace for 42.  He currently sits 8th on the club in rbi's, but in reality he is 9th , if you put the platoon catchers together.  He's hitting .219 in July.

Yep,

In many ways I hate to dog Votto out but the RBI/Power production from both the LF and 1B positions is killing this club offensively ! Both positions they're in the very bottom of the league.

You can make up for one if you're getting great production from one of the defensive positions - CF, 2B or whatever but it's very hard to make up for two.

If this team is going to be competitive next season they have to get more, a lot more production from those two positions.
Reply/Quote