Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Refugees Protect Woman From Sexual Harassment In Germany
(01-31-2016, 10:01 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I posted a comprehensive matrix that had us 2nd in the world only 2 years ago; surprisingly ahead of Jamaica. . Not sure why you have Sarah Palin on you mind this evening or what other criteria you need. 

I appreciate the effort, but that list reminds me of pharmaceutical company's marketing brochures for a new med they're pushing.  At first glance the presentation is very professional looking, but when you dissect the information the pretty presentation loses some of its luster.

Here are my criticisms.

1)  You have switched from the "American way of life" is best to a quality of life index.  You can compare the quality of life in the US to Russia, for instance, but are you really comparing the American way of life to the Russian way of life?  Not really.  The are inherent problems trying to objectively measure a subjective judgment.  It's like using a formula to determine which painting is the best.  How do you even define the "American way of life"?  How do you objectively measure it?  How do you objectively compare it to other "ways of life"?

2)  At least 3/8ths of the topics used to create the quality of life index come from surveys of visitors to that website, including health. 

3)  "Traffic" is a topic used to calculate the quality of life index, but education isn't taken into account.

4)  Did you look at the formula used to create the quality of life index?  The individual topics are weighted differently.  Health may be more important to some individuals than purchasing power for instance.  That formula doesn't take that into account.

5)  Do you know how they quantified "traffic," for instance, into an objective number to plug into the quality of life formula?  I don't.

It is very easy for Sarah Palin/Choose your own example to parrot rhetoric and just tell people what they want to hear and talk about American exceptionalsim.  It is another thing to back up the hyperbole with objective data.  Especially when a political party spends half their time talking about how America is going to hell in a hand basket and the other half talking about how much greater we are than everybody else.
Quote:Um, imperialism? You don't sound to happy about it.
Imperialism has had both positive and negative effects on cultures, but folks like you ignore the positive affects because it would make you look as though you're rooting for America  and you wouldn't want that

According to McC, that's a damn lie.  I'm not happy about the 4800+ Americans who died in Iraq any more than I am happy about the 4 Americans who died in Benghazi.  As someone who volunteered multiple times to serve my country, why would I root against America?  Seems to me my actions speak louder than your words.

Quote:He meant for you to stay there, but you knew that.... regardless lets pretend you didn't and make M look callous and you some sort of hero.

Are you his defense attorney now?  "Too bad you came back" from any military deployment is, at best, foolish.  What led to him to completely lose his shit?  Because I had the audacity to write, "We've moved on from Colonialism to Imperialism."

Quote:Yeah "something like that"....a common attitude of todays young, supposedly educated segment who know little about American history, government, the Constitution. The indoctrinated. The hate America first liberals.

What do your stereotypes and empty rhetoric have to do with me?

Quote:Yeah, like all those young abled bodied migrant young men from that region who are now in Europe raping women.

I don't condone illegal behavior, let alone rape.  But, I don't blame "all" of any group because that is nothing more than an ignorant stereotype.
(01-31-2016, 09:24 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: If I could have a job ready and meet the immigration requirements, I would be gone. The three countries I have considered are all ranked above the U.S. on the index bfine gave us a link to. Just biding my time while the wife and I make ourselves more attractive to employers over there and learn the language.

Don't know what you are waiting for.
There's plenty of Migrants that need an education. Don't know what your wife would do, cause I wouldn't want her anywhere near the migrants.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(01-31-2016, 10:01 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I posted a comprehensive matrix that had us 2nd in the world only 2 years ago; surprisingly ahead of Jamaica. . Not sure why you have Sarah Palin on you mind this evening or what other criteria you need. 

He wants to wake up in Jamaica with Sarah Palin lying in bed next to him. Ninja

Remember, he's the one trying to teach me how that puff puff pass it stuff works.
(02-01-2016, 04:44 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Don't know what you are waiting for.
There's plenty of Migrants that need an education. Don't know what your wife would do, cause I wouldn't want her anywhere near the migrants.

I'm not an educator, I'm an administrator. My wife could easily get a job teaching English there, but I'd have a bit rougher go at finding a job. Also, Germany, Austria, and Switzerland aren't like the Asian countries where you can end up teaching English without any actual background in English beyond being a native speaker, there is more competition, and so we use our benefits as employees here to make ourselves more marketable.
(02-01-2016, 04:47 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: He wants to wake up in Jamaica with Sarah Palin lying in bed next to him. Ninja

Remember, he's the one trying to teach me how that puff puff pass it stuff works.

I got married in Jamaica. I was buying some wood carvings and guy asked, "Do you like to party?

"Yeah, I like to party."

Then he tried to sell me some weed.  "Ooooooh, that kind of party.  No, I'm in the Army.  I can't party like that."
(02-01-2016, 06:01 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I got married in Jamaica.  I was buying some wood carvings and guy asked, "Do you like to party?

"Yeah, I like to party."

Then he tried to sell me some weed.  "Ooooooh, that kind of party.  No, I'm in the Army.  I can't party like that."

Uh, I'm aware you got married in Jamaica and instead of Palin, you married a Pinay.... close :)
Also, I'm aware you are in the military, I was jesting with you, just like I am now.
People who think it is impossible for the United States to improve in any way are blind.

And people who are unwilling to look at what has worked better in other countries are just stupid.

So after giving it some thought, if I had to somehow define or characterize the "American way of life" it would basically boil down to 3 things for me:

1. all men are created equal
2. inalienable rights
3. liberty and justice for all

It sure doesn't have anything to do with "traffic" and I'm not sure how you plug those into a "comprehensive" matrix.

Those ideas can be traced to the Age of Enlightment and beyond so for me I don't think it is really the American way of life so much as it should be the Human way of life.