Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Remember the Good Old Days
When Jungle noise complained about the coaches we had? Now we complain about not having one.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 06:30 PM)bfine32 Wrote: When Jungle noise complained about the coaches we had? Now we complain about not having one.

Yea kind of weird. We had one of the worst defenses ever yet for some reason people act like whoever we bring in could be worse. I’m actually in the camp that feels like it almost doesn’t matter who we bring in if we add some linebackers we will be better regardless.
Reply/Quote
Believe me when I say this---this WILL end well. It's hard to picture that at this moment, but we will be fine. Take a group sedative, let it play out.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Thought this was going to be a thread reminiscing about the times when the Bengals, heads held high, strode through the NFL landscape, winning playoff games and striking fear into hearts of AFC opponents who dared venture into Riverfront. But, this is good too.

We had sixteen years on the boring as **** merry-go-round, and we were all screaming to get off and get on the roller coaster. "But, it's Mike who will be running the roller coaster!" we were warned. "Screw it!" we said, waving off any protests. "We just wanna ride!" Well, welcome to Mike Brown's roller coaster. Hope you didn't just eat three corn dogs.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 08:28 PM)Au165 Wrote: Yea kind of weird. We had one of the worst defenses ever yet for some reason people act like whoever we bring in could be worse. I’m actually in the camp that feels like it almost doesn’t matter who we bring in if we add some linebackers we will be better regardless.

Same way i feel. Very weird IMO.

Even the O-line that we have should improve with another year of chemistry but damn was Austin, the Linebackers and Haslett terrible. You solidify this part of the Defense and everyone will be better all across the Defense and we will see what we thought and should of seen last year. Just nice that we will see it now with new coaches which is what i always thought was our problem.

Everything was so damn stale and everyone could see it. Blatant.

These are the good days if you saw that blatant staleness.
Reply/Quote
I haven't seen a lot of "season is over" talk. Mostly people that are antsy that it's taking so long, and the candidate list is drying up. I think the level of worry on the boards is perfectly understandable. We can all admit that not having half your defensive staff in mid-February is a bit out of the norm in the NFL, right?

All that said, there are still some solid candidates available, and this defense has nowhere to go but up. I'll put it this way, I'm still fairly optimistic about everything, but this situation has my antenna up. We've been linked to 8 guys so far and none worked out for various reasons. It's pretty crazy.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 09:02 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I haven't seen a lot of "season is over" talk. Mostly people that are antsy that it's taking so long, and the candidate list is drying up. I think the level of worry on the boards is perfectly understandable. We can all admit that not having half your defensive staff in mid-February is a bit out of the norm in the NFL, right?

All that said, there are still some solid candidates available, and this defense has nowhere to go but up. I'll put it this way, I'm still fairly optimistic about everything, but this situation has my antenna up. We've been linked to 8 guys so far and none worked out for various reasons. It's pretty crazy.

Its all a part of the plan...
Reply/Quote
The most ironic thing is the best choice for DC right now would be Marvin Lewis
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 09:07 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Its all a part of the plan...

In Mike Brown we trust? Nah, I can't say that with a straight face.  Sick
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 08:28 PM)Au165 Wrote: Yea kind of weird. We had one of the worst defenses ever yet for some reason people act like whoever we bring in could be worse. I’m actually in the camp that feels like it almost doesn’t matter who we bring in if we add some linebackers we will be better regardless.

I believe 70% of the win is on the players. The remaining 30% is on the coaches. :andy:
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 09:10 PM)Synric Wrote: The most ironic thing is the best choice for DC right now would be Marvin Lewis

Somebody needs to fire up the Miss Me Yet? meme...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
We can say a lot about Marvin, but he was one of the most respected coaches in the league oddly enough. That's why it was easy for him to always bring in well-known coaches we thought would never consider Cincinnati to be a good destination (when he had the choice, that is). It was always going to be a challenge for ZT or whoever we hired to bring to sway a DC to come here because they don't have the same clout as Marv did. WTS, I do believe ZT is doing a thorough coaching search and isn't just going to hire a guy for the hell of it. It's easy to say just hire someone so they can get evaluate the defense and get ready for FA, but if the Bengals don't end up signing free agents anyway, that guy will fail regardless. And that's another wasted year and I do think ZT wants to win right away if he can help it.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 09:10 PM)Synric Wrote: The most ironic thing is the best choice for DC right now would be Marvin Lewis

I disagree. I think the reasons he didn’t bring on JDR would be similar with Marvin with an added issue of him being the guy before.
Reply/Quote
It's not panic time just yet.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 09:18 PM)Au165 Wrote: I disagree. I think the reasons he didn’t bring on JDR would be similar with Marvin with an added issue of him being the guy before.

JDR coaches a two gap front. That's why I think Duke turned him away and is probably why Marvin probably didnt bring in JDR as his DC over Austin.

Marvin is a 43/34  hybrid single gap defensive coordinator that plays mostly man in the back end...lol and of course that's what the defense is built to do considering he built it lol.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 09:12 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: In Mike Brown we trust? Nah, I can't say that with a straight face.  Sick

No, no.  A higher power--fate and a higher power than that--the football gods.  After this temporary chaos, they will take their foot off our throats and let us feel what others have felt.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 09:30 PM)McC Wrote: No, no.  A higher power--fate and a higher power than that--the football gods.  After this temporary chaos, they will take their foot off our throats and let us feel what others have felt.

[Image: tumblr_m6d0kqfEAU1rqtrtgo2_500.gif]
Reply/Quote
I read this somewhere: Bengals have the 12th best record this decade. Of the teams ahead of them, only 5 have changed coaches this decade (Packers, Broncos, Falcons, Chiefs, and Eagles).

People assume that any coaches we hire will be an improvement. That's likely not the case and why this DC thing is a bit concerning.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 11:27 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I read this somewhere: Bengals have the 12th best record this decade.  Of the teams ahead of them, only 5 have changed coaches this decade (Packers, Broncos, Falcons, Chiefs, and Eagles).

People assume that any coaches we hire will be an improvement. That's likely not the case and why this DC thing is a bit concerning.

Yeah, but where did our record rank over the last 3 seasons?  Ninja

In the end, if we go 4-12 this year, it's not much different than going 6-10 with Marv. 

We didn't really risk anything by firing Marv because he really wasn't even producing in regular season anymore. 
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 11:27 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I read this somewhere: Bengals have the 12th best record this decade.  Of the teams ahead of them, only 5 have changed coaches this decade (Packers, Broncos, Falcons, Chiefs, and Eagles).

I supported Marvin as much as anyone in this forum, but after the last 3 years, a change had to be made.

Who would supported well below average performance over the last 3 years and still pledge their support? 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote