Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Report: Bengals are trying to sign Tee Higgins long term
Jesse Bates played that last year, average, maybe trying to not get injured. Turned it up in the playoffs.

I would see Tee have imaginary hamstring injuries in games he doesn't want to play (certain defenses per se lol).
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 03:41 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: His deathbed will be 5,000 threadcount sheets, and the best medical care possible.

Uzomah has missed out on zero rings so far by leaving here.

Lot of people on here seemingly pre-counting rings as if it's the easiest thing ever to win SBs and we're just waiting for ours to arrive in the mail that we're owed.

Truth, and if history wins, Burrow is never getting back to the Super Bowl. Aren't we at 15+ QBs who lost their first Super Bowl never made it back?

I'm not personally in doom and gloom mode just yet because I trust Zac and Burrow, however, as you noted getting to and winning the big game isn't an easy task.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 03:41 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: His deathbed will be 5,000 threadcount sheets, and the best medical care possible.

Uzomah has missed out on zero rings so far by leaving here.

Lot of people on here seemingly pre-counting rings as if it's the easiest thing ever to win SBs and we're just waiting for ours to arrive in the mail that we're owed.

Your chance to win a ring is probably less without Burrow as your QB. Zac Wilson? OK. He didn't know AROD was going to go there. he showed his cards immediatley, it's just about money, maybe we should only pay NFL players that win rings and everyone else a minimum. Big Grin

If you're just playing NFL for the money (which maybe many of them are), us fans are left with basically nothing, we're going to the deathbed with zero rings from our fav team too, which then suggests what are we even watching for lol. All smoke and mirrors. It's not like we have any control over how much they pay our star QB who has shown he's oft injured.

But let's say you earned 150 million in your career or you could have earned 125 million and had a ring (or a better chance at one), how many of us would have said 150? With investments that thing is already rolling out of control. I think we'd want to look down at our hand and see a ring. Not a pointless one when you're 35 trying to grab one on a veteran contract, something you actually contributed to lol. Dare we say the financial difference is even less, at what point does it not matter?

How much is the difference going to be with Tee in the end? Probably larger than 25 million. Will it be 40-50+ million over the course of his career? That might make a huge difference.

I'm personally not in a job that "pays me as much as possible", and I'm not making anywhere near 30-50 million a year. I think many would see $$$ and just skip out, it's still a large increase. I don't think Tee could live behind Chase here anyway, we knew this for a long time, he wouldn't be able to retire not having his chance at #1, it's probably more than just money with Higgins.

The NFL is a weird company where you're drafted to work for a portion of it, you don't get a choice really, until now (when your contract is up).

All that said, give us Myles Garrett for Tee, even trade. Big Grin Sad
Reply/Quote
Its up to Tee and his agent at this point. Tee is a free agent and can sign with any team he wants. If that team doesnt want to give the Bengals 2 first round draft picks then have them contact the Bengals and make a different offer. Tee's agent needs to get to work and get a deal for Tee. If Tee really is a #1 WR worthy of 26 million per year, he should have a bunch of teams willing to step up and make a deal happen.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 03:45 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Your chance to win a ring is probably less without Burrow as your QB. Zac Wilson? OK. He didn't know AROD was going to go there. he showed his cards immediatley, it's just about money, maybe we should only pay NFL players that win rings and everyone else a minimum. Big Grin

If you're just playing NFL for the money (which maybe many of them are), us fans are left with basically nothing, we're going to the deathbed with zero rings from our fav team too, which then suggests what are we even watching for lol. All smoke and mirrors.

But let's say you earned 150 million in your career or you could have earned 125 million and had a ring (or a better chance at one), how many of us would have said 150? With investments that thing is already rolling out of control. I think we'd want to look down at our hand and see a ring. Not a pointless one when you're 35 trying to grab one on a veteran contract, something you actually contributed to lol.

I'm personally not in a job that "pays me as much as possible", and I'm not making anywhere near 30-50 million a year.

That's a huge assumption to start off with.

Uzomah who you made the focus of your post was heading into his age 29 season. In just 2 years in New York, he nearly doubled his career earnings from the previous 7 years.

Tee Higgins has currently earned $10m and probably lost 40%+ of that in taxes. His career could end in 2024 at any given time. The Bengals would move on from him without a second thought if he couldn't play football anymore. He watched a man die on the field, he was teammates with guys who saw a man paralyzed on the field. His mind isn't thinking of some nonsensical $150m vs $125m, his mind is thinking $31.8m vs $60m ($10m + whatever guarantees he would get on a contract extension). Guarantees over multiple years is all you can trust.

Tee Higgins isn't us. You have 50 years to work if you want to, you're not going to suddenly become unemployable in your career field in your 30s. He also has a talent that is incredibly rare and incredibly in demand from people who are willing you pay tens of millions of dollars. We don't. Trying to put regular folks in NFL players shoes is always a silly endeavor.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 03:45 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Your chance to win a ring is probably less without Burrow as your QB. Zac Wilson? OK. He didn't know AROD was going to go there. he showed his cards immediatley, it's just about money, maybe we should only pay NFL players that win rings and everyone else a minimum. Big Grin

If you're just playing NFL for the money (which maybe many of them are), us fans are left with basically nothing, we're going to the deathbed with zero rings from our fav team too, which then suggests what are we even watching for lol. All smoke and mirrors. It's not like we have any control over how much they pay our star QB who has shown he's oft injured.

But let's say you earned 150 million in your career or you could have earned 125 million and had a ring (or a better chance at one), how many of us would have said 150? With investments that thing is already rolling out of control. I think we'd want to look down at our hand and see a ring. Not a pointless one when you're 35 trying to grab one on a veteran contract, something you actually contributed to lol. Dare we say the financial difference is even less, at what point does it not matter?

How much is the difference going to be with Tee in the end? Probably larger than 25 million. Will it be 40-50+ million over the course of his career? That might make a huge difference.

I'm personally not in a job that "pays me as much as possible", and I'm not making anywhere near 30-50 million a year. I think many would see $$$ and just skip out, it's still a large increase. I don't think Tee could live behind Chase here anyway, we knew this for a long time, he wouldn't be able to retire not having his chance at #1, it's probably more than just money with Higgins.

The NFL is a weird company where you're drafted to work for a portion of it, you don't get a choice really, until now (when your contract is up).

All that said, give us Myles Garrett for Tee, even trade. Big Grin Sad

So I think Higgins chance to win a ring is lower with a QB, WR1, and WR2 paid at the top of their positions in the NFL. It robs from being able to spend on other spots.

It sucks, but that's the cap dynamics.

Teams with that pay structure just don't win Super Bowls.
Reply/Quote
deuces Tee.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 03:44 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Truth, and if history wins, Burrow is never getting back to the Super Bowl. Aren't we at 15+ QBs who lost their first Super Bowl never made it back?

I'm not personally in doom and gloom mode just yet because I trust Zac and Burrow, however, as you noted getting to and winning the big game isn't an easy task.

no no no we dont talk about that round here

But i wonder if that stems from the QB getting  a raise after making to a SB

Its not easy and takes a bit of luck i would think to make it to a SB
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 03:59 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: So I think Higgins chance to win a ring is lower with a QB, WR1, and WR2 paid at the top of their positions in the NFL. It robs from being able to spend on other spots.

It sucks, but that's the cap dynamics.

Teams with that pay structure just don't win Super Bowls.

That could be true, but I think we can only identify QBs on one hand that have a chance of winning the bowl in let's say the next 5 years?

What are the chances he lands there? Lol if he landed in KC somehow.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 03:57 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: That's a huge assumption to start off with.

Uzomah who you made the focus of your post was heading into his age 29 season. In just 2 years in New York, he nearly doubled his career earnings from the previous 7 years.

Tee Higgins has currently earned $10m and probably lost 40%+ of that in taxes. His career could end in 2024 at any given time. The Bengals would move on from him without a second thought if he couldn't play football anymore. He watched a man die on the field, he was teammates with guys who saw a man paralyzed on the field. His mind isn't thinking of some nonsensical $150m vs $125m, his mind is thinking $31.8m vs $60m ($10m + whatever guarantees he would get on a contract extension). Guarantees over multiple years is all you can trust.

Tee Higgins isn't us. You have 50 years to work if you want to, you're not going to suddenly become unemployable in your career field in your 30s. He also has a talent that is incredibly rare and incredibly in demand from people who are willing you pay tens of millions of dollars. We don't. Trying to put regular folks in NFL players shoes is always a silly endeavor.

It's only silly because you're not seeing the vast amount of money and how a little more may or may not make a difference. e.g. the regular person can retire off 3 million, something he will make in 2 games lol.

And yes in many other career fields you can become unemployable as you age.

You are underestimating the power of 100 million dollars vs. what you and I make. Forget how much more he makes past that. At some point, you don't need more money! But most players, like others in this thread have said including you, only really care about money. They will trade a better chance getting a superbowl ring for it, which I think as fans is really the only reason we watch, the chance to win it all; as we watch players who don't care about that as much as we do. There is so much money in the NFL you can't have it performance based, imagine everyone is paid a minimum and only those who win the superbowl get paid more. Would work like that at most other jobs lol. Once you get paid guaranteed dollars, what's stopping someone from not trying as hard? They've already shown they don't care about the ring as much as the paycheck, and now you're trusting them to start caring about the ring. A funny quandary in pro sports.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 07:02 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: It's only silly because you're not seeing the vast amount of money and how a little more may or may not make a difference. e.g. the regular person can retire off 3 million, something he will make in 2 games lol.

And yes in many other career fields you can become unemployable as you age.

You are underestimating the power of 100 million dollars vs. what you and I make. Forget how much more he makes past that. At some point, you don't need more money! But most players, like others in this thread have said including you, only really care about money. They will trade a better chance getting a superbowl ring for it, which I think as fans is really the only reason we watch, the chance to win it all; as we watch players who don't care about that as much as we do. There is so much money in the NFL you can't have it performance based, imagine everyone is paid a minimum and only those who win the superbowl get paid more. Would work like that at most other jobs lol. Once you get paid guaranteed dollars, what's stopping someone from not trying as hard? They've already shown they don't care about the ring as much as the paycheck, and now you're trusting them to start caring about the ring. A funny quandary in pro sports.

No, it's only silly because he's not a regular person so comparing him to one is pointless. 

How many of those career fields have only ~1,500 openings for the entire world and a massive amount of turnover? Only 56% of players are on a roster from one year to the next and only 35% over a two year span. With a constant pressure to prove your worth of be done in the career every year.

You are overestimating the amount of players who ever make $100m. If Tee broke both of his legs in a car crash today, the Bengals would likely retract his franchise tag offer and he would never play in the NFL again. Even if it happened after signing his franchise tag, it could be called a Non-Football Injury, which they don't have to pay him for (though they likely would because of public pressure). Getting guaranteed money is the only thing players can actually rely on and you should never blame a player for trying to get the most they can in the short time they have making money for a $20b/yr business.

That's a terrible idea. That just means that everyone good would go to one team, because they're all making league minimum without a SB win. So you'd just get the very best player in every single position on the same team, they'd all cost the same as the worst players in every position, and then they'd just win every single SB every single year. 

You're more concerned about the ring because you're a fan. They're more concerned about money because the NFL is their job. If you want to bring it back to your need to compare them to normal people, that'd be like you willingly taking a fraction of what you're worth at your job because you want your company to hit a stock price milestone or to complete a merger. Why don't you care about the company more than yourself? Because the company doesn't care about you any further than how much you help them make money.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Only people who chased money instead of a ring, for sure, is someone who said, "F the Chiefs, I'm gone," in the last few years. Players had a better chance getting a ring with the Browns and Lions last year than with the Bengals. You can't really know. Just you never know when you'll go from Pro Bowler to the operating room table. You see why the big things are the guaranteed money?

YOU want the team to have the ring. We want that the team we root for wins it all. In the end, these guys wan it, too, but still want riches which is more of a sure thing. Sign that contract, you got that money. Buy that house, get that car, whatever you want. "Go for the ring" maybe it works out, maybe not. Some things you can't control. Marshawn Lynch had a Super Bowl ring until the Seahawks passed it to Malcolm Butler instead of handing it off.

$5 million or a Super Bowl ring? Yeah, most taking that cash. Ring don't put the kids through school.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 11:39 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Who?

Benton Who?

So we're going to go back in time 2 years and draft a RB that was shot?

You know the players I’m referring to. If you don’t, then I think that says more about your knowledge than my typos or brain farts.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 07:35 PM)Destro Wrote: Only people who chased money instead of a ring, for sure, is someone who said, "F the Chiefs, I'm gone," in the last few years. Players had a better chance getting a ring with the Browns and Lions last year than with the Bengals. You can't really know. Just you never know when you'll go from Pro Bowler to the operating room table. You see why the big things are the guaranteed money?

YOU want the team to have the ring. We want that the team we root for wins it all. In the end, these guys wan it, too, but still want riches which is more of a sure thing. Sign that contract, you got that money. Buy that house, get that car, whatever you want. "Go for the ring" maybe it works out, maybe not. Some things you can't control. Marshawn Lynch had a Super Bowl ring until the Seahawks passed it to Malcolm Butler instead of handing it off.

$5 million or a Super Bowl ring? Yeah, most taking that cash. Ring don't put the kids through school.

This argument doesn't hold water because they have already earned 70-100 million in this scenario, another 5 million to send them to school?

Marshawn Lynch already had a ring before they went for that pass for his 2nd ring, lol.

On Burrow's contract (50 million a year) it's only 10% of it. Would he make 45 million one year to have a ring instead? Comon now.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 07:23 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: No, it's only silly because he's not a regular person so comparing him to one is pointless. 

How many of those career fields have only ~1,500 openings for the entire world and a massive amount of turnover? Only 56% of players are on a roster from one year to the next and only 35% over a two year span. With a constant pressure to prove your worth of be done in the career every year.

You are overestimating the amount of players who ever make $100m. If Tee broke both of his legs in a car crash today, the Bengals would likely retract his franchise tag offer and he would never play in the NFL again. Even if it happened after signing his franchise tag, it could be called a Non-Football Injury, which they don't have to pay him for (though they likely would because of public pressure). Getting guaranteed money is the only thing players can actually rely on and you should never blame a player for trying to get the most they can in the short time they have making money for a $20b/yr business.

That's a terrible idea. That just means that everyone good would go to one team, because they're all making league minimum without a SB win. So you'd just get the very best player in every single position on the same team, they'd all cost the same as the worst players in every position, and then they'd just win every single SB every single year. 

You're more concerned about the ring because you're a fan. They're more concerned about money because the NFL is their job. If you want to bring it back to your need to compare them to normal people, that'd be like you willingly taking a fraction of what you're worth at your job because you want your company to hit a stock price milestone or to complete a merger. Why don't you care about the company more than yourself? Because the company doesn't care about you any further than how much you help them make money.

Like I said, I don't envy those working jobs where they think this is the best paying job they can have. There's more to it than that, and I don't make 30 million a year instead of 20 million a year. The argument you have is we can't relate to them, obviously not financially.

You're probably making a fraction of what you could make elsewhere. Even if that fraction is something like 4/5th. I know I can make double what I'm making right now, but what do I give up?

It also makes a difference how much he's made in his career so far, which is not much, Tee's net worth is basically nothing when it comes to an NFL player of his talents, so it makes sense especially at his age to go for the money grab.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 03:07 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: This argument doesn't hold water because they have already earned 70-100 million in this scenario, another 5 million to send them to school?

Marshawn Lynch already had a ring before they went for that pass for his 2nd ring, lol.

On Burrow's contract (50 million a year) it's only 10% of it. Would he make 45 million one year to have a ring instead? Comon now.

Because people who make millions don’t want more millions? Come on now. Just like leaving a Super Bowl contending team to play for Atlanta. Players are far more going for paydays and not chasing the rings. Even this thread is about Higgins. He was not signing a deal to play here for the chance for a ring everyone is talking about he has here. Wants that #1 WR money and have it guaranteed. If he can get that with a team that didn’t make the playoffs, he’ll take it.

He’s not burrow, not making Burrow’s record money nor have Burrow’s contract. Give him that, sure, he may shave off some for a ring, but he’s not and won’t. Rings aren’t promised. Guaranteed money is what they want. It is happening every day.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
Bengals "trying" to sign Higgins long-term is like how they "tried" to work out a deal with Bates.
It's just never going to happen if the two parties are so apart on cost.
And if Bengals are going to spend $30+ mill a year on Chase in a year or two, they won't spend $25+ mill on Higgins too.
I'd rather that $$ go toward a stud OL anyway over a WR2, as much as I like Higgins.
Higgins needs to go to a team where he can be the established go-to target and get paid like it.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2024, 03:06 PM)Nepa Wrote: What about Brian Thomas?. 4.33 in the 40-yard dash. 6'4" like Higgins. 9.97 RAS score (10th best among WRs since 1987). Nate first opened up my eyes to Thomas as a possible replacement for Higgins, and the more that I see, the more I like. 

Only to lose to the Chiefs in the playoffs because we can't block Chris Jones - the Bengals have a better chance at winning if they protect Joe and let him throw to whoever there..
Shop my store for Awesome Bengal-Style and Various Graphic T-Shirts!
http://www.cincyfanatics.com
Reply/Quote