Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Report: Bengals willing to work with Andy Dalton on trade
I am just happy the team will be different this coming season.
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2020, 09:14 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: I am just happy the team will be different this coming season.

Different, different how?  They'll still be pro football players wearing Bengals uniforms, playing in Paul Brown Stadium..
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2020, 09:34 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Different, different how?  They'll still be pro football players wearing Bengals uniforms, playing in Paul Brown Stadium..

WhoDey2 Different starting QB, different leadership style, more accountability and a different dynamic...
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(02-23-2020, 09:58 PM)JSR18 Wrote: WhoDey2 Different starting QB, different leadership style, more accountability and a different dynamic...

Bingo! Dalton was holding this team back....
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2020, 05:17 PM)Tony Wrote: I heard the same.. I just read yesterday that Burrow and Ross had a session this week.. OMG what a duo that could be if Ross can get back to the player he was turning out to be early last year.. pair that with A healthy AJ , Boyd and a 2nd round pick of Justin Jefferson... The offense could be lethal. Esp if we find a right guard and tackle in the Draft / FA...  I have never been so excited for a potential pick as I am about Burrow... I really think that's what the Bengals have been missing come playoff time.. A real QB..

I cannot imagine what it would be like having a QB in stripes playing great in Primetime games...

(02-23-2020, 05:21 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: I've said this several times in several threads and people seem to either ignore it, bury their heads, or somehow cannot grasp how easy this is.

$17.5m for Andy Dalton is a steal. It doesn't ruin the cap like a lot of free agent QBs are going to. Mahomes is about to reset the market with a deal in the $40m per year average. That's been reported on by many reputable people talking to Chiefs executives. Watson is going to get $30m+ per year, Dak turned down $33m per year, the Patriots and Raiders have said they will pay Brady $30m per year. Reports are saying Tannehill is looking at $24-25m or more a year and if he gets tagged that'll be around $26-27m. Winston is going to get $20m+, Rivers $20m+, trade for Newton is $20m+ for a year. Mariota is the only QB that may get less because he will probably be signed as a back up.

Regardless of where you think Andy falls among the QBs I listed, what's more economical and cap friendly? Paying anyone named Tannehill or above at least $25m a year or saving that $7-8m at least and adding a draft pick? You're not losing a first or second round pick. Maybe a 3rd at best. So even by that, a 3rd round pick and cap space seems to be a better deal than keeping the pick and paying potentially near double in cap space.

Yeah, it will be a really good deal for some team out there. Dalton is a mid tier QB and in the right system behind a decent OL 
he can be better than mid tier. I could see us getting a 4th round pick for him at the very least.
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2020, 09:58 PM)JSR18 Wrote: WhoDey2 Different starting QB, different leadership style, more accountability and a different dynamic...

I'm not sure any of the bolded will be true.
I'll believe it when I see it.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-24-2020, 03:30 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm not sure any of the bolded will be true.
I'll believe it when I see it.

WhoDey2 Fair enough. I'm not trying to bash Andy. Andy had his own leadership style and that wasn't a rah-rah guy, get in your face type.

But I believe Burrow is, its a given his leadership style is going to be different. Joe Burrow is a competitor. Which means he will probably demand accountability. By getting in players faces and demanding accountability (and getting it), every time the offense walks on the field they will have a swagger that's brought on by Burrow's fire and passion. Thus, a whole new dynamic.  

And you're right, it's going to be fun to watch...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

Reply/Quote
(02-25-2020, 02:52 AM)JSR18 Wrote: WhoDey2 Fair enough. I'm not trying to bash Andy. Andy had his own leadership style and that wasn't a rah-rah guy, get in your face type.

But I believe Burrow is, its a given his leadership style is going to be different. Joe Burrow is a competitor. Which means he will probably demand accountability. By getting in players faces and demanding accountability (and getting it), every time the offense walks on the field they will have a swagger that's brought on by Burrow's fire and passion. Thus, a whole new dynamic.  

And you're right, it's going to be fun to watch...

I just hope they can identify if Taylor is the right coach for this team.

It sure would suck having a great QB failing because of an inexperienced or bad coach running the team.

That's why I think Zac should have a short leash.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2020, 02:52 AM)JSR18 Wrote: But I believe Burrow is, its a given his leadership style is going to be different. Joe Burrow is a competitor. Which means he will probably demand accountability. By getting in players faces and demanding accountability (and getting it), every time the offense walks on the field they will have a swagger that's brought on by Burrow's fire and passion. Thus, a whole new dynamic.  

How is a QB going to "demand accountability"?  You think coaches will give him the authority to bench players?

When players start trying to play coach they better never make a single mistake themselves, because then all you have is all the players constantly yelling at each other.  It takes an NFL player a long time to establish his bona fides to the point where he can start playing coach.  I don't think that is a good idea for a rookie QB.

Players should play and let the coaches coach.
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2020, 07:46 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I just hope they can identify if Taylor is the right coach for this team.

It sure would suck having a great QB failing because of an inexperienced or bad coach running the team.

That's why I think Zac should have a short leash.

Feel the same, should be easier to judge with Taylor getting more of his type of players and less of Marv's.

Plus under a second year everything should be easier to judge, scheme, play calling, communication with the players and having
a much more talented QB should also be taken into account. If Burrow is carrying this team next year along with the coaches, Zac
should leave regardless. Anyone could coach better if this happens.
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2020, 06:25 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Feel the same, should be easier to judge with Taylor getting more of his type of players and less of Marv's.

Plus under a second year everything should be easier to judge, scheme, play calling, communication with the players and having
a much more talented QB should also be taken into account. If Burrow is carrying this team next year along with the coaches, Zac
should leave regardless. Anyone could coach better if this happens.

Unless the team is consistent and looks better... it's gonna be Joe vs Zac this season.

I can already see it coming.

All aboard the excuse train!

[Image: raw]
Reply/Quote
Praying that the Bengals can land a 3rd somehow for Dalton. Have a feeling he's likely to be cut.

Not sure who'd I like him to end up with... Bears make sense but so does the Patriots if Brady bounces.

Really a shame this is such a huge FA QB Class as Dalton would of been more coveted.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2020, 12:34 PM)fredtoast Wrote: How is a QB going to "demand accountability"?  You think coaches will give him the authority to bench players?

When players start trying to play coach they better never make a single mistake themselves, because then all you have is all the players constantly yelling at each other.  It takes an NFL player a long time to establish his bona fides to the point where he can start playing coach.  I don't think that is a good idea for a rookie QB.

Players should play and let the coaches coach.
Not true. The QB is the leader of the offense. If someone runs a wrong route or breaks a route off, or someone misses a block and the QB gets plowed or someone jumps. The QB has every right to / and should get into a players faces in the huddle and demand better play.

That hasn't happened here since Boomer left....and it shows...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

Reply/Quote
(02-24-2020, 03:29 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I cannot imagine what it would be like having a QB in stripes playing great in Primetime games...

Too bad you were not a fan in 2018.
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2020, 11:50 PM)JSR18 Wrote: Not true. The QB is the leader of the offense. If someone runs a wrong route or breaks a route off, or someone misses a block and the QB gets plowed or someone jumps. The QB has every right to / and should get into a players faces in the huddle and demand better play.

That hasn't happened here since Boomer left....and it shows...

Then the rest of the team yells at the QB when he messes up and all you have is bickering teammates.

Once a QB has been in the league a while and proven himself then he may have more leeway in yelling at teammates, but I don't suggest a rookie QB trying it.

And BTW

Boomer's Bengal record.....62-61
Dalton's Bengal record...….70-61-2
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2020, 02:52 AM)JSR18 Wrote: WhoDey2 Fair enough. I'm not trying to bash Andy. Andy had his own leadership style and that wasn't a rah-rah guy, get in your face type.

Andy was 100% a Rah-Rah guy; that and, "in your face," are 2 different things.

Carsone was an in-your-face guy 100%, but the only time I ever saw him be a Rah-Rah type, was when he threw for the TD against the Stoolers in the wonderful week 3 game of 2009.

I barely saw any emotion and cheering on of others/etc. outside of that one play.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Does anyone have a reasonable idea of Daltons trade value? Tannehill went for a 6th, but he did almost nothing in miami and dalton had 5 straight play off appearances. I read that hes worth amid round pick, so maybe a 3rd or 4th possible? Can we find a team so desperate for a QB that they are willing to give a 2nd?
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2020, 01:12 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: Does anyone have a reasonable idea of Daltons trade value? Tannehill went for a 6th, but he did almost nothing in miami and dalton had 5 straight play off appearances. I read that hes worth amid round pick, so maybe a 3rd or 4th possible? Can we find a team so desperate for a QB that they are willing to give a 2nd?

Just like with free agents sometimes a players market value depends on who else is available.

I am pretty sure Brady, Brees, Prescott, and Tannehill re-sign with their current teams, but that leaves Rivers, Mariota, Bridgewater, Winston, and Keenum as other options teams could sign without giving up anything in trade.
Reply/Quote
A rookie QB is not going to step in immediately and "demand accountability" or "get in guy's faces". That's not how it works. I don't care who it is, or how good they are supposed to be.

What he can do is: Earn respect. Show up early, stay late. Be prepared. Try to forge relationships, and become part of the locker room and the culture that's been created and/or is being built. Listen to, and even lean on veterans for advice. Show respect to the older guys and their knowledge.

What he can do most, to demand anything, is to play well. This will inspire confidence, and require every one's level of play to come up. Silently lead by example.

You may hate Andy Dalton and think he's much, much worse than Burrow is already. But Burrow can't walk in from day 1 and pretend to be the leader Andy was right away. That comes from years of history. It's earned over time.

The worst thing Burrow could do is to even try to get in guys faces and hold others to a certain standard. He needs to come in and learn, and slowly show these guys the hype is all true. And I think he will eventually. But to expect to demand anymore than a well respected vet like Andy is nonsense.

Give it time. It's not his locker room or team just yet.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2020, 01:44 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: A rookie QB is not going to step in immediately and "demand accountability" or "get in guy's faces". That's not how it works. I don't care who it is, or how good they are supposed to be.

What he can do is: Earn respect. Show up early, stay late. Be prepared. Try to forge relationships, and become part of the locker room and the culture that's been created and/or is being built.  Listen to, and even lean on veterans for advice. Show respect to the older guys and their knowledge.

What he can do most, to demand anything, is to play well. This will inspire confidence, and require every one's level of play to come up. Silently lead by example.

You may hate Andy Dalton and think he's much, much worse than Burrow is already. But Burrow can't walk in from day 1 and pretend to be the leader Andy was right away. That comes from years of history. It's earned over time.

The worst thing Burrow could do is to even try to get in guys faces and hold others to a certain standard. He needs to come in and learn, and slowly show these guys the hype is all true. And I think he will eventually. But to expect to demand anymore than a well respected vet like Andy is nonsense.

Give it time. It's not his locker room or team just yet.

Wes is right on target here.

If Burrow is not only a good player but a great teammate the other players will hold themselves to their own accountabilities.

People easily forget that when Carson left Dalton came right in and won without getting in people's faces.

Confidence grew and the players rallied.
Reply/Quote