Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Report: Bengals willing to work with Andy Dalton on trade
(02-27-2020, 05:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If the Bengals don't win it all this year I'd like to see Rivers go to the Pats and win a ring.  He is one of the most underrated QBs in history.

Over the last 14 seasons he has missed ZERO games and finished in the top 10 in passing yards 12 times (7 times in the top 5).  He has also finished in the top ten in TDs eleven times and passer rating seven times.  He made the playoffs six times and only had 4 losing seasons.
I believe rivers is the best QB from that draft class. He just unfortunately doesn't have the success of the other two.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2020, 04:09 PM)Schmitbuck Wrote: There was also an article in the Athletic today where an unidentified GM is speculating Dalton's value is a 2nd or 3rd now, citing his relatively low $17.5M contract. They seem to think Dalton's the 2nd best available QB this offseason behind Brady. This place would absolutely go nuts if they got a 2nd. 

I've heard rumors of both Chicago & NE being interested. I wouldn't be surprised if TB had interest as well with all their weapons and how much Arians trashes on Winston. 

And here: https://sportsnaut.com/2020/02/report-qb-andy-dalton-in-demand-could-net-bengals-second-round-pick/
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2020, 04:09 PM)Schmitbuck Wrote: There was also an article in the Athletic today where an unidentified GM is speculating Dalton's value is a 2nd or 3rd now, citing his relatively low $17.5M contract. They seem to think Dalton's the 2nd best available QB this offseason behind Brady. This place would absolutely go nuts if they got a 2nd. 

I've heard rumors of both Chicago & NE being interested. I wouldn't be surprised if TB had interest as well with all their weapons and how much Arians trashes on Winston. 

I got absolutely killed for suggesting we could get a 2nd for Dalton...

Reply/Quote
(02-27-2020, 10:36 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I got absolutely killed for suggesting we could get a 2nd for Dalton...

They won’t get a second. Maybe a 3rd or 4th. Flacco is probably closest comparison and he got a 4th. Best case is a high 3rd and jump for joy.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2020, 10:53 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: They won’t get a second. Maybe a 3rd or 4th. Flacco is probably closest comparison and he got a 4th. Best case is a high 3rd and jump for joy.

I think he’s worth more than Flacco, but a 3rd is probably more realistic than a 2nd. Although a 2nd from NE basically is a 3rd it’s usually such a late pick.

Reply/Quote
(02-27-2020, 10:53 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: They won’t get a second. Maybe a 3rd or 4th. Flacco is probably closest comparison and he got a 4th. Best case is a high 3rd and jump for joy.

Flacco had back issues and a really bad contract.  That drug down his value.
Reply/Quote
Hard to compare Flacco's value to daltons without knowing who else was available when Denver traded for Joe.

This year the market is flooded with experienced starting QBs. I think that will really drive down Dalton's value.

We'll probably have to settle for a late first round pick instead of top ten.
Reply/Quote
(02-29-2020, 11:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Hard to compare Flacco's value to daltons without knowing who else was available when Denver traded for Joe.

This year the market is flooded with experienced starting QBs. I think that will really drive down Dalton's value.

We'll probably have to settle for a late first round pick instead of top ten.

[Image: giphy.gif]

Reply/Quote
(02-27-2020, 05:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If the Bengals don't win it all this year I'd like to see Rivers go to the Pats and win a ring.  He is one of the most underrated QBs in history.

Over the last 14 seasons he has missed ZERO games and finished in the top 10 in passing yards 12 times (7 times in the top 5).  He has also finished in the top ten in TDs eleven times and passer rating seven times.  He made the playoffs six times and only had 4 losing seasons.

Rivers is a favorite of mine as well.  He had a tough year last year, but I'd like to see him have a shot at something in another city.  

I watched that bastard come back and beat the Bengals in 06 (I think) after they built a 3 TD lead in the first half.  I didn't like him much that day.  Him or Brandon Manumaleuna.  
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2020, 01:44 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: A rookie QB is not going to step in immediately and "demand accountability" or "get in guy's faces". That's not how it works. I don't care who it is, or how good they are supposed to be.

What he can do is: Earn respect. Show up early, stay late. Be prepared. Try to forge relationships, and become part of the locker room and the culture that's been created and/or is being built.  Listen to, and even lean on veterans for advice. Show respect to the older guys and their knowledge.

What he can do most, to demand anything, is to play well. This will inspire confidence, and require every one's level of play to come up. Silently lead by example.

You may hate Andy Dalton and think he's much, much worse than Burrow is already. But Burrow can't walk in from day 1 and pretend to be the leader Andy was right away. That comes from years of history. It's earned over time.

The worst thing Burrow could do is to even try to get in guys faces and hold others to a certain standard. He needs to come in and learn, and slowly show these guys the hype is all true. And I think he will eventually. But to expect to demand anymore than a well respected vet like Andy is nonsense.

Give it time. It's not his locker room or team just yet.

Spot on. I do think some guys are born with a leadership mentality, but you can't demand anything out of teammates until you earn that level of respect. Drew Brees didn't just walk into New Orleans and start barking at teammates. He played at an elite level and got a ring. That success allows him to take leadership of the team. Same with guys like Brady. They have the hardware to go along with the leadership trait. You need both, not one or the other.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I keep seeing articles that speculate that the Bears and Bengals have been in talks about a possible deal for Andy Dalton. Anyone have a handle as to the level of truth that there is to that rumor?

We all know that the team's policy is to generally not confirm nor deny any speculative information, until a deal either appears imminent or an agreement could not be reached.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2020, 11:35 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I keep seeing articles that speculate that the Bears and Bengals have been in talks about a possible deal for Andy Dalton.  Anyone have a handle as to the level of truth that there is to that rumor?

We all know that the team's policy is to generally not confirm nor deny any speculative information, until a deal either appears imminent or an agreement could not be reached.
Dehner said there's been contact but hasn't really said to what level. I find his info very credible. Reading the tea leaves, I'm assuming the discussions are in the early 'kicking tires' phase.

Personally I'm not sure if the Bears will be a good match based on the picks they have unless another team gets involved to push up Dalton's value. They have 2 2nds, no 3rd, and have a compensatory 4th. May have to get a player back or include a pick to make it work.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2020, 11:56 AM)Schmitbuck Wrote: Dehner said there's been contact but hasn't really said to what level. I find his info very credible. Reading the tea leaves, I'm assuming the discussions are in the early 'kicking tires' phase.

Personally I'm not sure if the Bears will be a good match based on the picks they have unless another team gets involved to push up Dalton's value. They have 2 2nds, no 3rd, and have a compensatory 4th. May have to get a player back or include a pick to make it work.

Yes, the idea of the Bears being a good trade partner seems a little suspect, in my mind as well.  As you alluded to, I would agree that maybe a 3rd team being involved is what it would take, in order for their to be enough trade collateral to go around.  I'm also a bit confused about Trubisky's status.  I kept seeing articles from last September that spoke about a lucrative extension for Trubisky, but Sportrac, who is generally very accurate, shows him still being on his rookie deal.

Edit: Maybe we're looking at this possibility all wrong? Maybe the Bengals don't care about getting a pick for Andy, to be able to use THIS year. Maybe they are willing to make a deal for a future pick, like a 2nd round selection next year's draft?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2020, 12:01 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yes, the idea of the Bears being a good trade partner seems a little suspect, in my mind as well.  As you alluded to, I would agree that maybe a 3rd team being involved is what it would take, in order for their to be enough trade collateral to go around.  I'm also a bit confused about Trubisky's status.  I kept seeing articles from last September that spoke about a lucrative extension for Trubisky, but Sportrac, who is generally very accurate, shows him still being on his rookie deal.

I had to look up that he's only played 3 years.  Those articles were after he made a nice improvement his 2nd year and probably expected a similar improvement last year instead of him regressing. I'm not sure how long they have this offseason to pick up the 5th year option.
Reply/Quote
What about Tampa? They are moving on from Winston. Haven't been linked to any qbs. They pick at 14, so unless they trade up they probably miss out on a qb round one. Their coach signed an ex Bengal (Palmer) when he was the head coach in Arizona—that worked out pretty well.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2020, 02:18 PM)Bengalstripes18 Wrote: What about Tampa? They are moving on from Winston. Haven't been linked to any qbs. They pick at 14, so unless they trade up they probably miss out on a qb round one. Their coach signed an ex Bengal (Palmer) when he was the head coach in Arizona—that worked out pretty well.

Still wondering about Rivers with Tampa, heard he bought a house there. If Rivers retires, Tampa should be a likely landing spot
for Dalton. But if Brady leaves NE I still think that is his most likely landing spot.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2020, 03:51 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Still wondering about Rivers with Tampa, heard he bought a house there. If Rivers retires, Tampa should be a likely landing spot
for Dalton. But if Brady leaves NE I still think that is his most likely landing spot.

Oh i didn't hear that one; I’ve been hearing Rivers to Indy a lot. Who knows at this point? New England would be a great spot for Dalton. It’d be nice to see him go somewhere with a chance to win. Dalton may not be on board with Tampa as they’re kind of a mess, but they have a good coach now—so things could turn around. Its hard to picture Tom Brady leaving Boston. Would definitely be big news. Quite the offseason this year. Best one since drafting Green and Dalton. The stars really aligned with Burrow for us.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2020, 01:38 AM)Bengalstripes18 Wrote: Oh i didn't hear that one; I’ve been hearing Rivers to Indy a lot. Who knows at this point? New England would be a great spot for Dalton. It’d be nice to see him go somewhere with a chance to win. Dalton may not be on board with Tampa as they’re kind of a mess, but they have a good coach now—so things could turn around. Its hard to picture Tom Brady leaving Boston. Would definitely be big news. Quite the offseason this year. Best one since drafting Green and Dalton. The stars really aligned with Burrow for us.

Yeah, really interesting Offseason. The League is going to look a whole lot different this year.

Couldn't of had a better time to suck it up with Burrow being right there for us to grab him up.
Reply/Quote
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2020-nfl-free-agency-patriots-considering-andy-dalton-trade-if-tom-brady-cant-be-retained-per-report/

Either the Pats are trying to leverage Brady, or there's something to this. Maybe both?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2020, 04:57 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2020-nfl-free-agency-patriots-considering-andy-dalton-trade-if-tom-brady-cant-be-retained-per-report/

Either the Pats are trying to leverage Brady, or there's something to this. Maybe both?

Belichick is just tired of hearing the constant argument about who deserves more credit, him or the QB.

What better way to prove his point than winning with Andy Dalton at QB?
Reply/Quote