Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reports are Bengals lose Whitworth, Zeitler, Kirkpatrick
(03-09-2017, 03:49 PM)Housh Wrote: WTF are you talking about

Zeitler was the highest rated guard in FA, Whit is always above average and solid and Dre Kirkpatrick was the shining star of the secondary all year

Is this what were doing to get over how much this FO sucks now? Straight lying to ourselves that players who left actually sucked even tho all were very good?

Whats next?

AJ GReen walks and you come here saying he was never that good?

Highest rated G in a weak FA year for OL.. His run blocking sucks and Whit is too damn old for a 3 year deal.. Stop building these guys up to make the FO look even worse. These guys can be replaced

GTFOH
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 03:54 PM)BengalBo Wrote: KZ is a terrible run blocker , Bad move by whoever gives him that much. Whit is too old for 3 year deal .. cmon man

Whitworth was a top 5 offensive lineman in football last year

Zietler is young and was in the top 25 of all offensive lineman. 

Taking money out the equation these are game changing signings for the other teams

Once again who are you trying to convince acting like these guys were trash?
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 03:54 PM)BengalBo Wrote: KZ is a terrible run blocker , Bad move by whoever gives him that much. Whit is too old for 3 year deal .. cmon man

But he's just an average run blocker and a great pass blocker but has improved every year he will look way better now since he's away from our bad center.
Also they could of had him at a good price if they would have extended his contract last year like they said they would!
Plus this is the wrong year to do this in there is no one to replace these guys with there's nothing in FA or the draft!
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 04:22 PM)The_WiseOne Wrote: But he's just an average run blocker and a great pass blocker but has improved every year he will look way better now since he's away from our bad center.
Also they could of had him at a good price if they would have extended his contract last year like they said they would!
Plus this is the wrong year to do this in there is no one to replace these guys with there's nothing in FA or the draft!

Pretty sure that Zeitler turned down any "offers" to negotiate.
Reply/Quote
I suppose, at the end of the day there are logical reasons that both of our good linemen were let go. I'm as pissed as anyone about Whitworth not retiring as a Bengal. Fact is though, I don't love his chances of playing out a 3-year deal. His chances of breaking down at his age are relatively high. He hasn't shown it yet, but it would shock absolutely no-one if this turned out to be a giant bust signing for the Rams. Re-signing Whit would have made me feel a lot better about the line next year, but it was a band aid covering up a gunshot wound IMO.

The real problem isn't Whitworth leaving. It's not even that the team didn't prepare for his departure, because they very clearly did. The problem is that these preparations epically blew up in their faces in front of us all, and they still need to figure out if Ogbuehi is a sunken cost or if he can achieve any of the potential they still claim to see in him.

Unfortunately, that's a leap that comes with a high potential price, i.e. a sub-NFL caliber player manning a really critical position on this team. The team is willing to pay that price right now. Most fans are not. Ideally, I would have liked to have had Whitworth back for another year or two as a safeguard, but that just wasn't what the circumstance allowed for. Now we take the jump and try to erase the memory of Ced's turd 2016 season while hoping it was an aberration.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 04:36 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Pretty sure that Zeitler turned down any "offers" to negotiate.

Both sides were trying to negotiate, but it came to an end when DeCastro's deal was announced. Zeitler didn't want it to become a distraction entering the season.

At least, that's what was reported.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 04:48 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Both sides were trying to negotiate, but it came to an end when DeCastro's deal was announced. Zeitler didn't want it to become a distraction entering the season.

At least, that's what was reported.

translation: He and his agent saw the market about to explode and wisely decided to wait.  The good old days of this team locking guys up on extensions before they hit the market may be coming to an end.  So much for the family favorite "team friendly deal".  
Reply/Quote