Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rick Perry challenges election of Texas A&M’s first gay student body president...
Quote:...says it was ‘stolen’ in ‘name of diversity’

Bobby Brooks, a junior at Texas A&M, made history this month when he was elected as the university’s first openly gay student body president.

Nearly two decades prior, Rick Perry, also an A&M alumnus, made his own bit of university history when he became the first Aggie to serve as governor of Texas.

But for their shared school pride, these men and their accomplishments had nothing to do with each other.
That changed Wednesday, when Perry, the country’s current energy secretary, chose to plunge into campus politics, claiming publicly that Brooks stole the election from another student.

That student, Robert McIntosh, is the son of a prominent Republican fundraiser in Dallas who campaigned for Donald Trump during his presidential election.

Perry’s accusation drew astounded responses from the university, Texas lawmakers and a professor, who said it was “extraordinary” that a federal official would involve himself in an issue as hyperlocal as student government elections.

“Honestly, we were just surprised to see that the secretary of energy would take the time to weigh in in detail,” Amy Smith, the school’s senior vice president of marketing and communications, told the Texas Tribune, “and we respectfully disagree with his assessment of what happened.”

Perry wrote in a lengthy commentary for the Houston Chronicle that he was “deeply troubled” by the actions of A&M’s administration and Student Government Association for overseeing what he viewed as an engineered election that awarded victory to Brooks in a “quest for ‘diversity.’”

Brooks spoke with reporters about his sexuality after the election, but did not make it part of his platform, reported A&M’s student newspaper, the Battalion. Perry wrote in his commentary that his problem was not with the sexual orientation of the victorious student, but the way in which he won.

“When I first read that our student body had elected an openly gay man, Bobby Brooks, for president of the student body, I viewed it as a testament to the Aggie character,” Perry wrote. “I was proud of our students because the election appeared to demonstrate a commitment to treating every student equally, judging on character rather than on personal characteristics.”

“Unfortunately,” Perry added, “a closer review appears to prove the opposite; and the Aggie administration and SGA owe us answers.”

McIntosh clinched the popular vote by 750 votes, but was disqualified by the student election commissioner after accusations of voter intimidation surfaced, reported the Battalion.

A&M’s judicial court — the university’s version of a student supreme court — overturned McIntosh’s disqualification, ruling there wasn’t sufficient evidence to prove he intimidated voters. But another charge, that he failed to disclose financial information for glow sticks briefly featured in a campaign video, was unanimously upheld, so his disqualified status did not change.

Brooks, who came in second place in the election, was named the victor.
View image on Twitter

Quote:[/url] Follow
[Image: UgPGVJ8H_normal.jpg]Bobby B for SBP @BobbyBforSBP
What makes Bobby unique? Here's what he said.
5:19 PM - 17 Feb 2017

The drama of the election results and the subsequent dispute played out over several weeks in the pages of the student newspaper, revealing a passionate debate among students about democratic ideals.

The administration, it seems, gave the students room to resolve their disagreements without interference.

It wasn’t until Wednesday, after several Texas newspapers published profiles of Brooks discussing his historic feat, that Perry weighed in with his commentary. Even McIntosh was surprised by the energy secretary’s words, he told the student newspaper:
Quote:
“I did not at all expect his editorial and I’m humbled to have his support. He made a compelling case which I fully support and continue to fight for. Our campaign team won the election and was subsequently disqualified unfairly. Diversity, at its heart, is equal treatment of all, and we hope this situation is resolved in a way that ensures a fair and more transparent process now and in future elections.”

Perry said the election commission and judicial court, both composed entirely of students, disqualified McIntosh “through a process that — at best — made a mockery of due process and transparency.”

“At worst,” Perry wrote, “the SGA allowed an election to be stolen outright.”
[Image: 2017-03-03T021946Z_197896293_RC1CB490D61...jpg&w=1484]
Secretary of Energy Rick Perry is sworn in by Vice President Pence as his wife, Anita, holds a Bible during a ceremony on  March 2. (Carlos Barria/Reuters)

The energy secretary called out, by first and last name, the student election commissioner and student chief justice of the A&M judicial court. Perry implored them to explain why they chose to “overturn a fairly won election” and treat “these cases as annoyances rather than with respect.”

“The administration must explain why it stood passive while equal treatment was mocked in the name of diversity, and why officials did not brief the Board of Regents,” he continued.

Smith, the university’s senior communications vice president, told the Texas Tribune that student government elections are run by the students, not administrators, and that Perry’s “understanding of the election rules of student body president elections doesn’t reflect the facts.”

Reached late Wednesday night, the student election commissioner declined to comment. Brooks and the student chief justice did not respond to a similar request from The Washington Post.
View image on Twitter

Quote:[url=https://twitter.com/RallyWithRobert] Follow
[Image: 7TY6ZoGE_normal.jpg]Rally with Robert @RallyWithRobert
WHO IS READY FOR TOMORROW?!#RallyWithRobert
6:33 PM - 22 Feb 2017

With a tone that resembled the same fury over “political correctness” that boosted Trump, Perry insinuated in his commentary that McIntosh was unfairly disqualified because his opponent was gay.

“Brooks’ presidency is being treated as a victory for ‘diversity,'” he wrote. “It is difficult to escape the perception that this quest for ‘diversity’ is the real reason the election outcome was overturned. Does the principle of ‘diversity’ override and supersede all other values of our Aggie Honor Code?”

Perry said “every Aggie ought to ask themselves” if they would allow a black, gay or nonwhite male to be disqualified from an election on the same grounds as McIntosh.

Smith offered a sharp rebuke to that claim, too: “To suggest that the same decision of disqualification would not have been made if the roles were reversed is to deny the Texas A&M of today where accountability applies to all,” she told the Battalion.
Experts on Texas politics described Perry’s actions as “astounding,” “extraordinary” and “strange.”

“He’s written it as a call for fairness, not that he’s come out against the first gay student body president at A&M,” Cal Jillson, a political-science professor at Southern Methodist University, told the Houston Chronicle, “but the extraordinary part is that he took the time to do this when he should have so many bigger fish to fry in his current job.”

Perry was confirmed as energy secretary after a contentious hearing that called into question his knowledge and respect for the department. Perry, a former presidential candidate, was the longest-serving Texas governor and has not been shy about his Aggie pride.

This, said Rice University professor Mark Jones, could explain his unusually aggressive response to his alma mater’s current student body.

“This must be his inner Aggie speaking, because this is certainly not something you expect a cabinet secretary to weigh in on — actually, probably not even a governor,” Jones told the Houston Chronicle. “It’s strange. Of all the things he could have an opinion on, this is probably not the smartest move for a cabinet secretary. He must really be upset about it.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2017/03/23/rick-perry-accuses-texas-ams-first-gay-student-body-president-of-stealing-election/?utm_term=.b9d92c1837e5#comments

And it has NOTHING to do with the winner being gay...it has to do with them cheating to let the gay guy win.   Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
isnt this the same guy who had to have his job explained to him, before he became energy secretary
People suck
(03-23-2017, 02:56 PM)Griever Wrote: isnt this the same guy who had to have his job explained to him, before he became energy secretary

Yep.  The glasses don't make him smarter....
As a Republican, I would've thought Perry would've been good with the guy coming in second getting the win.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
McIntosh clinched the popular vote by 750 votes, but was disqualified by the student election commissioner after accusations of voter intimidation surfaced, reported the Battalion.

Quote:A&M’s judicial court — the university’s version of a student supreme court — overturned McIntosh’s disqualification, ruling there wasn’t sufficient evidence to prove he intimidated voters. But another charge, that he failed to disclose financial information for glow sticks briefly featured in a campaign video, was unanimously upheld, so his disqualified status did not change.

Brooks, who came in second place in the election, was named the victor.

That'll get you disqualified every time.

As to the rest: The only issue I have if when he posed the hypothetical of "what if the roles were reversed" situation.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(03-23-2017, 04:12 PM)bfine32 Wrote: McIntosh clinched the popular vote by 750 votes, but was disqualified by the student election commissioner after accusations of voter intimidation surfaced, reported the Battalion.

That'll get you disqualified every time.

As to the rest: The only issue I have if when he posed the hypothetical of "what if the roles were reversed" situation.

No issue with a cabinet member writing an op-ed on a college election?

Even if he is an alumni he probably has other things to do like learn what his new job entails.
(03-23-2017, 04:20 PM)GMDino Wrote: No issue with a cabinet member writing an op-ed on a college election?

Even if he is an alumni he probably has other things to do like learn what his new job entails.

Of course I have no problem with anybody being involved in the happenings at their alma mater. Regardless of his or her profession.

(03-23-2017, 04:20 PM)GMDino Wrote: No issue with a cabinet member writing an op-ed on a college election?

Being employed by the government doesn't mean you automatically give up any outside interests. If he's very involved with his school, then he should be able to do what any other alum does and make comments. I have less issue with Perry giving his thoughts on it than I do with Rick Perry having any type of actual decision making position. He's dishonest, begrudging and doesn't seem overly bright.
So, you know, I don't care what Perry's opinion son this are, I don't even care what happened in the whole SGA election. I'd say this no matter any party affiliations, this just looks like flat out bullying on behalf of partisanship. "I see someone that supports me has had their kin wronged by someone and I have a position of authority and so I will weigh in." Classic bullying and sticking their nose where it doesn't belong.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(03-23-2017, 04:28 PM)Benton Wrote: Being employed by the government doesn't mean you automatically give up any outside interests. If he's very involved with his school, then he should be able to do what any other alum does and make comments. I have less issue with Perry giving his thoughts on it than I do with Rick Perry having any type of actual decision making position. He's dishonest, begrudging and doesn't seem overly bright.

No, he can still be interested.  Taking it public is a bit much in my opinion.  

Also I was surprised Perry graduated from a college. Mellow
(03-23-2017, 04:42 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: So, you know, I don't care what Perry's opinion son this are, I don't even care what happened in the whole SGA election. I'd say this no matter any party affiliations, this just looks like flat out bullying on behalf of partisanship. "I see someone that supports me has had their kin wronged by someone and I have a position of authority and so I will weigh in." Classic bullying and sticking their nose where it doesn't belong.

So your nose doesn't belong in the matters of your Alma mater?

(03-23-2017, 05:01 PM)bfine32 Wrote: So your nose doesn't belong in the matters of your Alma mater?

I wouldn't say it belongs in SGA matters. I think there are a number of things that alumni should be concerned about, this is not one of them.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(03-23-2017, 05:04 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I wouldn't say it belongs in SGA matters. I think there are a number of things that alumni should be concerned about with this is not one of them.

Okey Doke, we'll just disagree on this one. Alumni should not be interested in the Student Government of his or her alma mater according to Matt.

At first I thought Perry was wrong to suggest what would happen if the shoe were on the other foot. However, he may have had a point.

(03-23-2017, 02:56 PM)Griever Wrote: isnt this the same guy who had to have his job explained to him, before he became energy secretary

Yes. AKA a run of the mill asshole.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
(03-23-2017, 05:08 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Okey Doke, we'll just disagree on this one. Alumni should not be interested in the Student Government of his or her alma mater according to Matt.

At first I thought Perry was wrong to suggest what would happen if the shoe were on the other foot. However, he may have had a point.

I'd say this no matter what direction things were going. No matter who felt they were being wronged. The SGA is an internal, independent body. It's not the place of alumni, faculty, or staff to get involved in their activities unless there is a violation of university policy which the administration needs to address.

(03-23-2017, 05:12 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I'd say this no matter what direction things were going. No matter who felt they were being wronged. The SGA is an internal, independent body. It's not the place of alumni, faculty, or staff to get involved in their activities unless there is a violation of university policy which the administration needs to address.

Okey Doke. I still take an interest in the Student Government at my Alma mater, they even keep me updated on their activities and ask for feedback from all alumns.

Here's what he actually wrote in the newspaper:

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/opinion/outlook/article/Perry-Did-A-M-shun-due-process-in-the-name-of-11021097.php?t=78efa54229438d9cbb&cmpid=twitter-premium

I have no problem with an alumni taking an interest (getting involved), voicing his opinion, and urging the Student Counsel to make transparent their rulings. You do. We just differ on that.

(03-23-2017, 05:39 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I have no problem with an alumni taking an interest (getting involved), voicing his opinion, and urging the Student Counsel to make transparent their rulings. You do. We just differ on that.

What is not transparent about their decision.  Seems like they made it pretty clear to me.

Perry is certainly allowed to express his opinion on this.  But that does not mean he should not be mocked for attacking something with absolutely no basis for an argument.  He has nothing to back up his claim that the guy won because he was gay.  It is just another straight white man crying and trying to pull his victim card with noi facts to back him up.
(03-23-2017, 05:39 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I have no problem with an alumni urging the Student Counsel to make transparent their rulings.

What about him urging to let a guy keep his victory even though he broke the rules?

i thought you republicans were all about personal responsibility.  So why not hold this student accountable for breaking the rules?

Guess it is okay if it is done in the name of defeating a gay person, right?
(03-23-2017, 06:27 PM)fredtoast Wrote: What is not transparent about their decision.  Seems like they made it pretty clear to me.

Perry is certainly allowed to express his opinion on this.  But that does not mean he should not be mocked for attacking something with absolutely no basis for an argument.  He has nothing to back up his claim that the guy won because he was gay.  It is just another straight white man crying and trying to pull his victim card with noi facts to back him up.

(03-23-2017, 06:29 PM)fredtoast Wrote: What about him urging to let a guy keep his victory even though he broke the rules?

i thought you republicans were all about personal responsibility.  So why not hold this student accountable for breaking the rules?

Guess it is okay if it is done in the name of defeating a gay person, right?
If you read the actual op-ed from the newspaper he presented his facts and of course he can be mocked (or as you say deserves it). My issue is not with his opinion; it's folks saying he has no business expressing it. 

(03-23-2017, 06:27 PM)fredtoast Wrote: What is not transparent about their decision.  Seems like they made it pretty clear to me.

[Image: 6360430684879801731311307602_Florida%20cartoon.jpg]