Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scouting the All-Star games (2024)
I love Fabien Lovett. Played banged up all year but when they needed him he would rise up. He has a young child with some medial issues. Rooting for you Fabo! NFL is it's own beast but personally I think he was a great college DT
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2024, 11:14 PM)Synric Wrote: The site I have linked has JPJ and Andrew Raym identical. The Senior Bowl twitter has JPJ listed as 6'3.2 334 32.2 arms 9.6 hands '79 wingspan not alot of length but still ok . I do like JPJ for the Bengals at #49....two picks before the Steelers at #51 even if he sits for a year lol.

The problem with short arms for a C is that it affects shotgun snaps when the C is stressing to get his hands into position quickly.  Creed Humphrey has 32" arms and low snaps were a constant issue in the AFCCG.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2024, 01:28 AM)Whatever Wrote: The problem with short arms for a C is that it affects shotgun snaps when the C is stressing to get his hands into position quickly.  Creed Humphrey has 32" arms and low snaps were a constant issue in the AFCCG.

Humphrey is also in the 99th percentile for arm length for a center at 32.5. At 32 flat JPJ will probabaly be 90th. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
NFL Network is covering the Senior Bowl Practices again! All 3 days starting today times added to OP.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2024, 09:10 AM)Synric Wrote: Humphrey is also in the 99th percentile for arm length for a center at 32.5. At 32 flat JPJ will probabaly be 90th. 

NFL average for a C is supposedly 33-1/2" and Humphrey was 32-1/4" at the Combine.  
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2024, 10:42 AM)Whatever Wrote: NFL average for a C is supposedly 33-1/2" and Humphrey was 32-1/4" at the Combine.  

I'm just going by RAS which has him as a 9.98 length and hand size. 

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2024, 10:54 AM)Synric Wrote: I'm just going by RAS which has him as a 9.98 length and hand size. 

That doesn't really seem accurate for guys that are actually making it in the league.  Looking at our recent C's...

Karras 32-1/8(plays better at G)
Hill 33-5/8
Hopkins 34-5/8
Price 32"(constantly had snap issues)
Bodine 32-1/2
Ghiaciuc 32-3/8

I think part of the issue is there's a ton of C's who test every year, but most don't make it in the NFL or get moved to G, making RAS not really a true representation of league norms in this case.

All this isn't to say I would take JPJ off my board or anything, but it's definitely something to consider in a shotgun heavy offense.
Reply/Quote
When it comes to arm length for a center; the issue really isn't "arms too short to snap". The issue is your oline likes to be a far off the LOS as possible. The longer the center's arms the further off the LOS they can start.

Creed has shirt arms but it really doesn't matter because for some reason the NFL lets their tackles lineup in the backfield
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2024, 02:37 PM)bfine32 Wrote: When it comes to arm length for a center; the issue really isn't "arms too short to snap". The issue is your oline likes to be a far off the LOS as possible. The longer the center's arms the further off the LOS they can start.

Creed has shirt arms but it really doesn't matter because for some reason the NFL lets their tackles lineup in the backfield

That's another good point.  However, the snap issues tend to arise when short armed C's are making shotgun snaps and pressured into being in a hurry because they're struggling with the guys in front of them and rushing to get their hands back up in position.
Reply/Quote
A guy who I really thought dominated the OLvDL drills for the American Team was:

CHRISTIAN JONES/OL/Texas

Dude won every rep, played inside and outside, and it seemed he took more reps than everyone else.

Some other thoughts on the drill:

GUYTON looked great except for the 1-time he got beat bad

PAUL is a physical specimen but a work in progress

LIMMER for Arkansas looked good; as did Javon Foster

McKinley penetrates better than Sweat (Of course not Aweat's job)

#99 from LSU (Jordan?) looked good

Reply/Quote
More on Christian Jones. Pat Kirwan was also impressed with what he saw and talked to Steve Sark..Sark said Jones' first year they forced him into starting at LT and he struggled. After his first year, they moved him to RT and he's been great.

Jones has good size 6'5"/318 and has 34"+ arms and a 83"+ wing span.

NFLDRAFTBUZZ currently has a 6th RD grade on him. He'll go higher

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2024, 06:04 PM)bfine32 Wrote: More on Christian Jones. Pat Kirwan was also impressed with what he saw and talked to Steve Sark..Sark said Jones' first year they forced him into starting at LT and he struggled. After his first year, they moved him to RT and he's been great.

Jones has good size 6'5"/318 and has 34"+ arms and a 83"+ wing span.

NFLDRAFTBUZZ currently has a 6th RD grade on him. He'll go higher

The Consensus Big Board has him currently 139 overall, so late 4th/early 5th on average.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2024, 04:38 PM)bfine32 Wrote: A guy who I really thought dominated the OLvDL drills for the American Team was:

CHRISTIAN JONES/OL/Texas

Dude won every rep, played inside and outside, and it seemed he took more reps than everyone else.

Some other thoughts on the drill:

GUYTON looked great except for the 1-time he got beat bad

PAUL is a physical specimen but a work in progress

LIMMER for Arkansas looked good; as did Javon Foster

McKinley penetrates better than Sweat (Of course not Aweat's job)

#99 from LSU (Jordan?) looked good

Christian Jones was a nice surprise. He showed excellent technique and timing. Tyler Guyton wow dude can move hands were a little wide at times but he did a nice job reworking them back inside. Taliese Fuaga was a wall power anchor and feet. If JPJ keeps it up he might go round 1.

Kingsley Suamataia had a disappointing day. He had good feet and anchor but he scooped with his hands instead of punched often wide. 

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2024, 09:34 PM)Synric Wrote: Christian Jones was a nice surprise. He showed excellent technique and timing. Tyler Guyton wow dude can move hands were a little wide at times but he did a nice job reworking them back inside. Taliese Fuaga was a wall power anchor and feet. If JPJ keeps it up he might go round 1.

Kingsley Suamataia had a disappointing day. He had good feet and anchor but he scooped with his hands instead of punched often wide. 

I didn't get to watch the National team today. Perhaps can see them on rerun.

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2024, 09:34 PM)Synric Wrote: Christian Jones was a nice surprise. He showed excellent technique and timing. Tyler Guyton wow dude can move hands were a little wide at times but he did a nice job reworking them back inside. Taliese Fuaga was a wall power anchor and feet. If JPJ keeps it up he might go round 1.

Guyton is tempting, but heard he has some maturity issues that may concern some teams and he will need to interview well.  Still, kid has about every tool you could want.

Speaking of freak T's, has anyone watched anything on the Yale kid, yet?
Reply/Quote
T'Vondre Sweat does not look good. He refused to weigh in so it wouldn't surprise me if he tips the scales at 380 and you can see it in the reps. Can definitely see him falling...

Reply/Quote
Tyler Guyton 1 on 1s Day 1

Reply/Quote
Ladd McConkey 1 on 1s Day 1.

Reply/Quote
Jackson Powers-Johnson 1 on 1s Day 1.

Reply/Quote
Roman Wilson 1 on 1s Day 1.

Reply/Quote