Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Season is already over
(08-04-2020, 08:29 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Funny and true. But the season isn't over so no need to go full blown corona. OP started as football conversation (yes he mentioned corona), but these rails have a lot of, oh, what do people in the railroad call it? Curvy tracks that end up nowhere near the destination? LOL 

Anyway, let's get it back on track. Football isn't over - yet. Shoot, that's almost end of thread right there.

Well they need to be a lil more proactive... They've spent all this time talking about full season, on time, fans in stands. Here we are in August and MLB is falling all over itself, while the NBA and NHL are not. I've heard that Cuomo offered New York as a bubble for the NFL. They need to seriously consider it, but shit, teams have already reported to camp.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
(08-04-2020, 08:29 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Funny and true. But the season isn't over so no need to go full blown corona. OP started as football conversation (yes he mentioned corona), but these rails have a lot of, oh, what do people in the railroad call it? Curvy tracks that end up nowhere near the destination? LOL 

Anyway, let's get it back on track. Football isn't over - yet. Shoot, that's almost end of thread right there.

[Image: images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcSAYvLiaJ65NigmatTq1...w&usqp=CAU]
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(08-04-2020, 08:41 PM)jason Wrote: Well they need to be a lil more proactive...  They've spent all this time talking about full season, on time, fans in stands. Here we are in August and MLB is falling all over itself, while the NBA and NHL are not. I've heard that Cuomo offered New York as a bubble for the NFL. They need to seriously consider it, but shit, teams have already reported to camp.

good point. Yes they do. I see pics of the players without masks in practice. I'm assuming it's their choice, while HS teams are wearing masks during practice. Not sure it really matters honestly, but you right and they do. But unlike H.S. your dealing with grown men here who make their own decisions. Enough on that tho.

I read Bobby Hart getting a little active on Twitter about the season and the virus. He keeps that activity up, he could be watching the NFL from home vs. the bench!

(08-04-2020, 08:59 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: good point. Yes they do. I see pics of the players without masks in practice. I'm assuming it's their choice, while HS teams are wearing masks during practice. Not sure it really matters honestly, but you right and they do. But unlike H.S. your dealing with grown men here who make their own decisions. Enough on that tho.

I read Bobby Hart getting a little active on Twitter about the season and the virus. He keeps that activity up, he could be watching the NFL from home vs. the bench!

I'm talking about the league in general... I don't see how they're going to pull off 16 games traveling without a bubble or the hubs... It's kinda late to even explore that now. I think they should've shot for a 10 week season... That includes playoffs and Superbowl. Basically just division games... Division winners make the playoffs. No byes regular or postseason.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
(08-04-2020, 09:21 PM)jason Wrote: I'm talking about the league in general... I don't see how they're going to pull off 16 games traveling without a bubble or the hubs... It's kinda late to even explore that now. I think they should've shot for a 10 week season... That includes playoffs and Superbowl. Basically just division games... Division winners make the playoffs. No byes regular or postseason.

That's why I was stating in a previous thread on this discussion that I would like to see the NFL be proactive in this situation and actually lead the way for the country. An organisation the size of the NFL should be leaders in the community. The major sports over here in Australia have led our country in biosecurity measures. We currently have one of our sports in a bubble in one state, playing 20 days of footy in a row. They allowed each player to take family members into the bubble with them.

We have another sport using private jets to fly players around the country on game days to allow them to have minimal contact with others. These biosecurity measure they have put in place have allowed them to gain exemptions from governments to overcome border closures and covid restrictions. The government has used the sports biosecurity measure to help get other industries moving. Where is NFL? Why aren't they leading the country with ideas to get things working?
I'm curious, would you rather have no season or have a season start and then get cancelled due to the virus like it appears is where baseball is headed?

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

(08-04-2020, 09:49 PM)AussieBengal Wrote: That's why I was stating in a previous thread on this discussion that I would like to see the NFL be proactive in this situation and actually lead the way for the country. An organisation the size of the NFL should be leaders in the community. The major sports over here in Australia have led our country in biosecurity measures. We currently have one of our sports in a bubble in one state, playing 20 days of footy in a row. They allowed each player to take family members into the bubble with them.

We have another sport using private jets to fly players around the country on game days to allow them to have minimal contact with others. These biosecurity measure they have put in place have allowed them to gain exemptions from governments to overcome border closures and covid restrictions. The government has used the sports biosecurity measure to help get other industries moving. Where is NFL? Why aren't they leading the country with ideas to get things working?

Yep... I've liked reading your posts on how things are being handled down there.

Roger Goodell is very reactionary. This is the same guy who suspended Chris Henry for 8 games for being a self destructive knucklehead, and suspended Ray Rice 2 games knowing there was footage of him decking his wife. When that video hit the public he caved. The NFL spent the entire spring talking about opening weekend on schedule with full stadiums. Adam Silver of the NBA and Gary Bettman actually put some thought into how to finish their seasons... Rob Manfred did what baseball does... Argue about money, and fall on it's face outta the gate. Goodell and the NFL are much closer to Manfred than they are Silver or Bettman.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
(08-04-2020, 11:36 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I'm curious, would you rather have no season or have a season start and then get cancelled due to the virus like it appears is where baseball is headed?

If those are the only options (they aren't) I'll take no season.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
(08-04-2020, 11:47 PM)jason Wrote: If those are the only options (they aren't) I'll take no season.

I agree, there is a chance the full season could happen, just was curious what people would pick between the two.

I'm with you, I'd rather not have a season then have a short season or a season that starts and gets called off after a few games.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

(08-04-2020, 11:53 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I agree, there is a chance the full season could happen, just was curious what people would pick between the two.

I'm with you, I'd rather not have a season then have a short season or a season that starts and gets called off after a few games.

No no... I'd be ok with a short season. Obviously it'd have an unwritten asterisk, but I'd take that over no season or one that shuts down. You know the Bengals win the Super Bowl in an asterisk season.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
I rather have a couple games just to see Burrow ball out personally.

But I'd understand if people want to wait on a Vaccine.
[Image: 1500x500]
(08-04-2020, 11:57 PM)jason Wrote: No no... I'd be ok with a short season. Obviously it'd have an unwritten asterisk, but I'd take that over no season or one that shuts down. You know the Bengals win the Super Bowl in an asterisk season.

Even a short season would be reps for young players to develop. Question is how many games would they have to play for contracts to be an "accrued season". Five or less games accounting as an accrued season would suck... well for teams and fans not so for the players.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

(08-05-2020, 12:02 AM)Synric Wrote: Even a short season would be reps for young players to develop. Question is how many games would they have to play for contracts to be an "accrued season". Five or less games accounting as an accrued season would suck... well for teams and fans not so for the players.

Good point... I wasn't even thinking about it on that front.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
(08-04-2020, 04:34 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I hope your mom makes a speedy recovery.

Appreciated.  Her doctor believes there is a very high probability that they can get her into remission, but the drugs they have her on have severely depressed her immune system, so it's been a very stressful time. She's making good progress, though.
(08-04-2020, 04:50 PM)Sled21 Wrote: While that's true, many people with underlying conditions, simply are not willing to spend the rest of their lives hiding in the house. Right now I can wear a mask, one day I probably won't be able to. Doesn't mean I'm going to become a hermit and never leave the house.

My personal belief is that we eventually have a vaccine and/or more effective treatments just because there's too much money in those things for the big pharmaceutical companies not to come up with something.  Until that time, people have a responsibility to help prevent the spread of the virus.  I don't expect the world to stop, but people need to take reasonable precautions.  I don't expect people to go to the same lengths my family goes to due to my mother's condition.  If people are going to put others at extra risk by refusing to take reasonable precautions or by needlessly going into public places out of boredom despite the fact that they can't take adequate precautions, they deserve all the scorn and ridicule that they get.  
(08-04-2020, 09:49 PM)AussieBengal Wrote: That's why I was stating in a previous thread on this discussion that I would like to see the NFL be proactive in this situation and actually lead the way for the country. An organisation the size of the NFL should be leaders in the community. The major sports over here in Australia have led our country in biosecurity measures. We currently have one of our sports in a bubble in one state, playing 20 days of footy in a row. They allowed each player to take family members into the bubble with them.

From what I've read, the NFL seems to be doing just that. They are testing all personnel, using electrostatic fogging to sanitize all equipment, they have a fogger players have to go through prior to going on the field each time that sanitizes them. They fly on private, or chartered jets. I'm really not sure what else they could be doing. 
(08-05-2020, 12:51 AM)Whatever Wrote: My personal belief is that we eventually have a vaccine and/or more effective treatments just because there's too much money in those things for the big pharmaceutical companies not to come up with something.  Until that time, people have a responsibility to help prevent the spread of the virus.  I don't expect the world to stop, but people need to take reasonable precautions.  I don't expect people to go to the same lengths my family goes to due to my mother's condition.  If people are going to put others at extra risk by refusing to take reasonable precautions or by needlessly going into public places out of boredom despite the fact that they can't take adequate precautions, they deserve all the scorn and ridicule that they get.  

I would just point out that they have been striving for an HIV vaccine for 35 years without success, and even longer for Hepatitis. Yeah, there's a lot of money to be made, but sometimes the science just isn't there. If antibodies don't prohibit reinfection, I just don't see a working vaccine coming down the pike. We're just going to have to come up with better treatments. 
(08-04-2020, 05:18 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: The more people you come into contact with the greater your chance to come into contact with someone who is infected and becoming infected yourself.

That's just common sense.

It's spread through respiratory droplets.  When someone coughs, sneezes, or even talks small droplets of virus containing mucous are expelled into the air.  Most droplets fall out of the air within 6 feet. So most people who get infected do so by inhaling the droplets. The virus is viable on surfaces for short periods of time.  So if someone sneezes on a card reader or coughs into their hand without washing it before using the card reader they can transfer droplets to the reader.  If someone uses the reader right afterwards then touches their nose, mouth, or eyes they can infect themselves. Disinfecting surfaces helps reduce that spread.

This is basic germ theory and principles of antisepsis that a biological MD/science teacher should already understand.

Antiseptics have been proven since the days of Joseph Lister in the 19th century. Go to any hospital if you have questions.

Your constant spamming of Covid 19 related misinformation should get you banned.  

And people are more likely to touch their eyes, nose, and mouth when they wear a mask. 

An all knowing message board dictator should know all this. But I keep having to explain it to you.

And if I get banned for telling the truth it'd be just like society. "Silence those that don't think the way we do". You're probably one of those fools that believes BLM is really about black lives. Oh! Now I'm banned.
For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.
2 Timothy 1:7

(08-05-2020, 10:12 AM)Mer Wrote: And people are more likely to touch their eyes, nose, and mouth when they wear a mask. 

An all knowing message board dictator should know all this. But I keep having to explain it to you.

And if I get banned for telling the truth it'd be just like society. "Silence those that don't think the way we do". You're probably one of those fools that believes BLM is really about black lives. Oh! Now I'm banned.

Dude.  What is your problem?  You must be the most disrespectful member on this board.  We were asked to return this thread to it's topic, not slam people.   Whatever
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
(08-05-2020, 10:12 AM)Mer Wrote: Oh! Now I'm banned.

We can only hope.