Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sewell Day.....
(04-02-2021, 05:42 PM)pally Wrote:

Props to Sewell for running the 40 shirtless and NOT looking like Andre Smith.  Sick
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2021, 06:49 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: The primary reason so many people wouldn't consider Slater an OT was because of his 33" arms.

Sewell has now measured in at 33 1/4" arms, so we should apply the same to Sewell and say his ability to stay at OT is questionable.

Honestly, that's really disappointing. I was hoping Sewell would secure his generational talent standpoint so that the Bengals would take him. Now I think it almost has to be Chase.

Folks are kinda "fluid" on their criteria depending on how much they like/dislike a player. Here' how arm length matterd last year in the NFL:
https://www.reddit.com/r/NFL_Draft/comments/med769/arm_length_for_offensive_tackles/

***Missing data***
Eichenberg: 32.33

Sewell: 33.25

2 bfine favs (Darrisaw/Brown) meet/exceed the 34" threshold. So I'm gonna say Arm length is very important...

I also take drill numbers with a grain of salt. While Slater and Penei were practicing 3 cone drills, ect...with personal trainers; Darrisaw was blocking the like of Phillips, Roche, Weaver, Jones II, Rumph.....
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2021, 10:28 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Folks are kinda "fluid" on their criteria depending on how much they like/dislike a player. Here' how arm length matterd last year in the NFL:
https://www.reddit.com/r/NFL_Draft/comments/med769/arm_length_for_offensive_tackles/

***Missing data***
Eichenberg: 32.33

Sewell: 33.25

2 bfine favs (Darrisaw/Brown) meet/exceed the 34" threshold. So I'm gonna say Arm length is very important...

I also take drill numbers with a grain of salt. While Slater and Penei were practicing 3 cone drills, ect...with personal trainers; Darrisaw was blocking the like of Phillips, Roche, Weaver, Jones II, Rumph.....

Yea, that makes sense. I don't know if arm length is the end all be all for tackles, but there seems to at least be a positive correlation between 34"+ arm length and success in the NFL. So many tackles this year measured in at less than 34" arms, it makes me wonder if the measurements at the combine are somehow different than what is done at the pro day (For example, I wonder if the combine might measure from the shoulder blade to the end of the middle finger whereas pro days they measure from the arm socket to the end of the finger, or something like that) that may explain why this year's tackle class has such short arms across the board, or if this year's class of tackles just happens to have really short arms just by coincidence.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2021, 11:00 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Yea, that makes sense. I don't know if arm length is the end all be all for tackles, but there seems to at least be a positive correlation between 34"+ arm length and success in the NFL. So many tackles this year measured in at less than 34" arms, it makes me wonder if the measurements at the combine are somehow different than what is done at the pro day (For example, I wonder if the combine might measure from the shoulder blade to the end of the middle finger whereas pro days they measure from the arm socket to the end of the finger, or something like that) that may explain why this year's tackle class has such short arms across the board, or if this year's class of tackles just happens to have really short arms just by coincidence.

Don't think I've ever seen so many short arms and fast 40's as I have this cycle. 

Reply/Quote
(04-02-2021, 10:23 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yes, and we love Pitts. Cool

It ain't going to be Pitts.... Chase or Sewell.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2021, 11:37 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Don't think I've ever seen so many short arms and fast 40's as I have this cycle. 

Long arms are overated. Joe Thomas and Jake Long both measured at 32"
Reply/Quote

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(04-03-2021, 12:13 PM)pally Wrote:

I do have a soft spot for bulldog thick necks.

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote
(04-03-2021, 11:59 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Long arms are overated. Joe Thomas and Jake Long both measured at 32"

People go to that tired arguement but in reality there have been alot more guys with shorter arms that are slid inside. 

Long arms is a thing it gives any offensive lineman a better chance of keep defenders out of their chest. Is it the end all of tackle evaluation? No but it is apart of it just like being under 5'11 is meh for receivers or being over 6'6 is meh for QBs etc etc.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(04-03-2021, 11:37 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Don't think I've ever seen so many short arms and fast 40's as I have this cycle. 

The 40 times are what make me wonder how things are measured differently between the combine and pro days. The combine uses electronic times whereas pro days are almost always hand clocked. That's why the combine is such a big deal because it's often the only 40 time that's taken seriously (there's a long history of pro day 40s being faster than combine times, but no one ever references the pro day times). Maybe arm length is similar somehow.
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2021, 05:57 PM)Burma Wrote: Holy **** that 10 yard split looked damn fast (the 2nd cone from the top). I tried to put a timer on it and i got 1.65 seconds (yeah it's not entirely accurate, just a rough measurement) but that would have in the neighborhood of the fastest 10 yard for all OL at the combine last year. Tristan Wirfs ran a 1.69 split and Austin Jackson had a 1.73.  Average was like 1.8

I really hope they release the official split time.  Pitts had a freakish 1.5 for his size.

He has a very light, smooth stride for a guy that large. That shows up in his game tape and combined with his awareness, is why he jumps off the page so much. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2021, 11:00 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Yea, that makes sense. I don't know if arm length is the end all be all for tackles, but there seems to at least be a positive correlation between 34"+ arm length and success in the NFL. So many tackles this year measured in at less than 34" arms, it makes me wonder if the measurements at the combine are somehow different than what is done at the pro day (For example, I wonder if the combine might measure from the shoulder blade to the end of the middle finger whereas pro days they measure from the arm socket to the end of the finger, or something like that) that may explain why this year's tackle class has such short arms across the board, or if this year's class of tackles just happens to have really short arms just by coincidence.

But, not always  Cedric Ogbuehi's arm length was measured at 35.88", and they didn't seem to give him a lot of success.  

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2021, 03:46 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: But, not always  Cedric Ogbuehi's arm length was measured at 35.88", and they didn't seem to give him a lot of success.  

Yea, it's not guarantee of success by any means. It's just the successful players usually tend to have 34" arms.
Reply/Quote
Penei Sewell has same arm length as Bengals RT Reilly Reiff.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2021, 02:08 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote:

Thanks for posting this!
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2021, 11:59 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Long arms are overated. Joe Thomas and Jake Long both measured at 32"

You can trot out 2 examples in the last couple decades all you want

As I said.....we're fluid. I guarantee you if there were a prospect folks didn't like and he had short arms; they'd damn sure bring it up. 

I saw folks do it last year with QBs and hand size...btw...Justin Herbert had 10" hands

I haven't seen one person say Sewell is going to be a bust because of arm length, but bottom line; if you're designing the perfect LT from scratch; you'd want arms closer to 35" than 33". 

I like Sewell and would be ecstatic if we take him at 5OA, but if I was wanting to go with "generational talent". I'd like the arms to at least reach 34"

Reply/Quote
(04-03-2021, 04:54 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You can trot out 2 examples in the last couple decades all you want

As I said.....we're fluid. I guarantee you if there were a prospect folks didn't like and he had short arms; they'd damn sure bring it up. 

I saw folks do it last year with QBs and hand size...btw...Justin Herbert had 10" hands

I haven't seen one person say Sewell is going to be a bust because of arm length, but bottom line; if you're designing the perfect LT from scratch; you'd want arms closer to 35" than 33". 

I like Sewell and would be ecstatic if we take him at 5OA, but if I was wanting to go with "generational talent". I'd like the arms to at least reach 34"

It is more than arm length. Sewell is a wide body also. If you are wider by 2 to 4 inches, then having 1 inch shorter arms gets negated.

Gene
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2021, 04:54 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You can trot out 2 examples in the last couple decades all you want

But we are not "designing" a player. We are evaluating players. Longer arms might be an advantage, but only if you know how to use them. It's not arm length people should look at, it's what the player does with the length of his arms. He can be a so so knuckledragger, or he can have shorter arms and know how to use them and be a beast. 
Reply/Quote
So if we are talking arm length for tackles for greatness how many X Wrs are near 6 ft. Tall? Not many.. is Chase over 6'1 ? Nope
Reply/Quote