Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sewell vs Chase Civil War
(04-16-2021, 03:45 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I know... but my point was simply to show why I don't get all excited for these scores.

I mean, Willie Anderson's score basically shows he shouldn't have been drafted.

There is so much to look at with any prospect and a big part of that, we don't see since the real splitting of hairs is in the one on one interviews where you can get a feel for what the guy is actually like and how hard he's going to work and how bad he wants it.

This can happen to Chase, Sewell or Pitts, they've been so good for so long, that going to a losing team and adversity might be new to them. Do they have what it takes to actually fight through it. That you just can't judge.

Oh and for the record, I'm now in on Jacob Harris in the 7th. Damn his game tape is fun to watch.

Speaking of, I know they’ve talked with Chase multiple times, but does anyone know how much interaction they’ve actually had with Sewell (other than his pro day)? There’s supposedly some questions about work ethic (although his coach gave him a glowing endorsement) and immaturity issues, so I could see interviews being very important for him.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-15-2021, 10:58 PM)Yogo Wrote: Man, feel like everyone's down to trading blows already. Hope we can be friends after April 29th.

You know, we could do the lazy thing and just trade back 3 spots, pick up a 3rd rounder, and just take the remainder of Chase, Pitts, Sewell.

... btw pst Sewell

Worst part is I still don’t think the fighting ends after the draft. We will compare these players throughout there careers. If we take Chase and the line stinks and Sewell is a stud somewhere else some fans will say see we should have took Sewell. If we draft Sewell and he misses a block and Chase had a good week scoring a TD with Miami or something we will say we should have took Chase lol and vice versa. It might never end.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2021, 09:09 AM)lone bengal Wrote: Worst part is I still don’t think the fighting ends after the draft. We will compare these players throughout there careers. If we take Chase and the line stinks and Sewell is a stud somewhere else some fans will say see we should have took Sewell. If we draft Sewell and he misses a block and Chase had a good week scoring a TD with Miami or something we will say we should have took Chase lol and vice versa. It might never end.

I'm pretty sure this is how the Balkan War started. I can already see the potential for Albanian blood feuds developing here. 

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote
If we take Chase they better be able to crush pick #38 with a good lineman. I’m looking at this draft long term heading into 2022. Some of the options at #38 scare me in terms of relying on them long term. Dickerson was hurt 4 out of 5 years in college including 2 ACL tears. I’m not comfortable banking on a D3 kid like Meinerz game translating to the NFL. I like Walker Little but he hasn’t played since 2018. I like Leatherwood best , just not sure he makes it to us. I like Eichenberg his penalty issues are worrisome but he might be the most realistic option at #38.

2022 line

LT - Williams - best case stays healthy plays well / worst case injury / struggles

LG- Spain free agent / maybe replace by draft pick ?

C- Maybe Hopkins returns to form / draft pick ?

RG - XFS / replaced by draft pick ?

RT - Reiff free agent / replaced by draft pick ?/ plays well at 33 years old and 2nd year option picked up.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2021, 10:32 AM)lone bengal Wrote: If we take Chase they better be able to crush pick #38 with a good lineman. I’m looking at this draft long term heading into 2022. Some of the options at #38 scare me in terms of relying on them long term. Dickerson was hurt 4 out of 5 years in college including 2 ACL tears. I’m not comfortable banking on a D3 kid like Meinerz game translating to the NFL. I like Walker Little but he hasn’t played since 2018. I like Leatherwood best , just not sure he makes it to us. I like Eichenberg his penalty issues are worrisome but he might be the most realistic option at #38.

2022 line

LT - Williams - best case stays healthy plays well / worst case injury / struggles

LG- Spain free agent / maybe replace by draft pick ?

C- Maybe Hopkins returns to form / draft pick ?

RG - XFS / replaced by draft pick ?

RT - Reiff free agent / replaced by draft pick ?/ plays well at 33 years old and 2nd year option picked up.

Creed Humphrey or Dillon Radunz could be options. I kind of hope we go with Eichenberg, myself. Plug and play guy with a high floor from a good OL school.

Reply/Quote
(04-16-2021, 10:52 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Creed Humphrey or Dillon Radunz could be options. I kind of hope we go with Eichenberg, myself. Plug and play guy with a high floor from a good OL school.

Yeah Notre Dame has put out some good lineman lately. Arron Banks is another interesting name. Most would consider a good / great draft as getting 2 good starters. Example : We get Chase and Eichenberg is ready to start year 2 with Williams as the starting tackles. That would still leave 2 holes at guard assuming Hopkins is good at center. Or you get a plug and play guard and you still need to address RT and a guard spot. Think it’s unrealistic to bank on the Bengals coming out of this draft with a starting WR and two lineman who could be starters, tho it’s possible.
Reply/Quote
How about training at guard too...you know just in case

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(04-16-2021, 11:57 AM)pally Wrote: How about training at guard too...you know just in case

I’m sure he’s not catering his entire training to fit what the Bengals might do or not do with him. Whit played guard because he had Wille Anderson and Levi Jones in front of him. Other teams have drafted right tackles in the top 10 besides the Bengals who took Andre Smith 6th overall in 2009 and Willie Anderson 10th overall in 1996. The 49ers drafted Mike McGlinchey 9th overall in 2018 to play RT and the Titans drafted Jack Conklin 8th overall in 2016 to play RT.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2021, 11:57 AM)pally Wrote: How about training at guard too...you know just in case

[Image: CaringEasyBagworm.webp]

I know a team with an entrenched left tackle that may put him at right tackle for a year!!

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote
The left Tackle vs Right Tackle importance isn't as important as it once was. Sewell is building block at either spot.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2021, 10:52 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Creed Humphrey or Dillon Radunz could be options. I kind of hope we go with Eichenberg, myself. Plug and play guy with a high floor from a good OL school.

Creed or Eichenberg for me, I like Radunz but he hasn't had the greatest of competition like these guys have.
Reply/Quote
You guys will be fine if you pick either one. I know some of you have a strong preference for one of them but they're both great prospects.

The funny thing for me is that I rag on you guys for not emphasizing Oline and see more and more WRs come out pro ready but I'd still take Chase. I just believe in him that much and think he's a safer pick than Sewell.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2021, 08:02 PM)Bmore Birds Wrote: You guys will be fine if you pick either one. I know some of you have a strong preference for one of them but they're both great prospects.

The funny thing for me is that I rag on you guys for not emphasizing Oline and see more and more WRs come out pro ready but I'd still take Chase. I just believe in him that much and think he's a safer pick than Sewell.

The main reason is we are in the top 5 and WR's like Chase or Pitts for that matter don't come along often.

Sewell has great feet but I watch his hands get outside sometimes which would result in holding calls in the NFL.

Great run blocker though. Eichenberg is honestly a better pass blocker same with Cosmi and we can get one of them in the 2nd.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2021, 09:14 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: actually a running game would do more freeing up.. we have the RB.. not the line... a strong RB game will keep pressure off Burrow and we might not have to throw so much with lowers risk of injury.. but if organization goes Chase or Pitts I will hope for the best... in the end we will have added more players around Burrow   he will have Boyd, Higgins and Mixon if we add Chase or Pitts this will  potentially give him a better cast we have had since 2005 so we will really be able to measure Burrow this season if he stays healthy

I was strictly speaking about Pitts/Chase.  I am O-line at 5 all the way
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2021, 09:10 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: There’s people who’s opinions I respect that are firmly against drafting Chase (because they want Sewell) and then there’s something like this...

Best WR prospect since Julio”

Set SEC records for Yards and TD’s at 19. NINETEEN.

9.9 RAS

Yeah, “nothing special” LOL

A couple things:

1.  There are a fair amount of guys that don't have him as the #1 WR in this class, let alone in the last 10 years.  I'm not sold on him being a generational prospect.  He's a good prospect and I'd be happy with him if we are drafting at 10.  I just don't see the elite traits (size, speed, catch radius) that make him a generational prospect.  

2.  The SEC records are a little overated for me.  He played on a loaded team with a pass heavy offense with a QB that had the best season ever.  The year before he was average (granted he was a freshman), but I really wanted to see what he would do with an average QB and more attention,.
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2021, 02:11 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: 2.  The SEC records are a little overated for me.  He played on a loaded team with a pass heavy offense with a QB that had the best season ever.  The year before he was average (granted he was a freshman), but I really wanted to see what he would do with an average QB and more attention,.

This gets overlooked a lot. And it is shocking how loaded that team was. Absolutely unreal. Burrow at QB setting a new QB Bar. Justin Jefferson, Chase, and Terrance Marshall Jr. at WR. That's potentially 3 first round picks at WR alone.  AND with all that you have Clyde Edwards-Helaire racking up 1400+ yards and being a 1st round pick. Who do you cover in that offense? There is no way. Every skill position player on that Offense, except TE, was or will be a 1st round pick. That is utterly insane.

Reply/Quote
Except we’ve already seen how Jefferson looks on a non-loaded team in Minnesota. And that’s like an All Pro.

Terrace Marshall was tearing it up by himself last year at LSU without Burrow or any of these other guys, too.

Absolutely no reason to think Chase (the best of the 3) won’t do the same.

Reply/Quote
(04-17-2021, 03:24 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Except we’ve already seen how Jefferson looks on a non-loaded team in Minnesota. And that’s like an All Pro.

Terrace Marshall was tearing it up by himself last year at LSU without Burrow or any of these other guys, too.

As a Michigan man this level of recruiting sickens me.  Cry Cry

But, back to your point, there is no particular reason to think Chase can't tear it up in the NFL and any other year this could be my guy.  But this year the O-line shambles has taken that away.  I would feel much more confident in a situation like Sewell at 5 and a trade back up to late 20s to get Marshall Jr than I would Chase at 5 and any of the remaing tackles.

Reply/Quote
(04-17-2021, 03:24 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Except we’ve already seen how Jefferson looks on a non-loaded team in Minnesota. And that’s like an All Pro.

This is spot on and candidly was my only hesitation with Burrow last year. I do think Burrow proved this year that he'll be at the very least a good QB. He already has great feel for the NFL game which is more important than arm talent and whatever else. But at the same time he had pros at damn near every position, Oline & RB included. 

Chase is the real deal. I don't see generational talent like Julio but I do think he'll quickly be a top 10 type WR. And Marshall is a guy I really like too because he produced with and without all that help.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2021, 01:07 AM)Bmore Birds Wrote: This is spot on and candidly was my only hesitation with Burrow last year. I do think Burrow proved this year that he'll be at the very least a good QB. He already has great feel for the NFL game which is more important than arm talent and whatever else. But at the same time he had pros at damn near every position, Oline & RB included. 

Chase is the real deal. I don't see generational talent like Julio but I do think he'll quickly be a top 10 type WR. And Marshall is a guy I really like too because he produced with and without all that help.

I just know that if we take Chase and Marshall is still sitting there in the 2nd, I'll have instant buyer's remorse...and I think there's a good chance that happens. I've seen multiple outlets mocking him to your Ravens in the 2nd.

Imo, our WRs are overall fine...we just need an injection of speed. But it doesn't have to be at 5. We can get speed in other rounds. We have our slot guy who we're paying $10 million, Higgins, who just had a great rookie season, and we're paying Mixon big bucks.

In short, if we take Chase, someone is getting the squeeze.

Of course, we have no such issue on the line. We need bodies there desperately, and Sewell would fit right in without bumping another talented player down.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote