Poll: Should the Bengals tank at 0-4
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Should we tank with Dolphins
They dont need to tank...they will be 1-15 while trying to win.
Reply/Quote
All tanking would do for this team is allow them to pick earlier in the draft.

They don't trade players. They aren't aggressive in free agency. When you refuse to use all of the tools at your disposal, and rely solely on the draft, it really doesn't matter if they pick #10 overall or #1. Especially when the draft is a crapshoot, including those players that go top 5.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
At 0-4 I'm in the fire sale category.

Trade Ross
Trade Mixon
Trade Dalton
Trade Eifert

All are out of contract soon and probably won't/shouldn't be re-signed so get what value you can (some of them you may want to wait to rebuild their value up first).

Speak to AJ, Geno and Dunlap and see if they want to part of the rebuild and if not I'd be open to offers.

Make sure you lose to the Dolphins and then try to get one of their extra first rounders off of them for the first pick. We're going to need as many high picks as possible to rebuild.

My plan would be to rebuild the offensive line in 2020 draft so there's a functioning O-line ready for a rookie QB in 2021.
But we can't ignore the defense which in the last 7 drafts has only had 3 picks in the top 2 rounds. The D needs an injection of talent.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2019, 07:45 AM)Big Boss Wrote: All tanking would do for this team is allow them to pick earlier in the draft.

They don't trade players. They aren't aggressive in free agency. When you refuse to use all of the tools at your disposal, and rely solely on the draft, it really doesn't matter if they pick #10 overall or #1.

This couldn’t be any more wrong. It’s makes ALL the difference. Our problem has been we never truly bottomed out. We were mediocre instead of awful. The last time we picked in the top 5 we got AJ Green. THAT is the kind of impact players we need. Not injured OL or CB’s that go 10-15.

And remember we’d be picking first EVERY round.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-01-2019, 07:45 AM)Big Boss Wrote: All tanking would do for this team is allow them to pick earlier in the draft.  

They don't trade players.  They aren't aggressive in free agency.  When you refuse to use all of the tools at your disposal, and rely solely on the draft, it really doesn't matter if they pick #10 overall or #1.  Especially when the draft is a crapshoot, including those players that go top 5.

If it's a crapshoot then what you want is as many rolls of the dice as possible. Secure the #1 pick and then trade back to #10.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2019, 07:51 AM)TJHoushmandzadehs Shiny Shoes Wrote: If it's a crapshoot then what you want is as many rolls of the dice as possible. Secure the #1 pick and then trade back to #10.

NO

Reply/Quote
We don’t have to tank because there is no talent to win

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2019, 07:56 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: NO

My point was that if he thinks it doesn't matter whether we pick 1 or 10 that would be the logical thing to do in each round.

I don't agree there's no difference between picking 1 and 10 in the first round. I would be willing to trade back to the 2nd or 3rd overall picks though if we could get one of Miami's extra first rounders.
Reply/Quote
Tanking vs indifference. They seem to have the same result.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Would I tank? No
Would I trade anybody who has value and would probably be on the downside of their career in two years? YUP. Bye AJ, Geno and Carlos to name a few.

If they're going to suck this year, just go all out. Is going 6-10 that much better than finishing 3-13?
Reply/Quote
I don't think that we should tank.

We're just so bad that it's going to appear as though we're tanking.
Reply/Quote
I remember a poster who called me out months ago when I said the ceiling for this team was 6 wins. LOL.
Reply/Quote
Call it "tanking" or call it a youth movement. Doesn't matter.

This team is common street trash and will lose regardless of what we call it or what philosophy to which we claim to adhere.

But what must happen to improve is going to look a lot like what people call "tanking," but it's really just a pragmatic approach.

No reason whatsoever to play Dalton. See what Finley is.

Make Ross and Boyd the focal points of the passing game. Let's find out what Ross can be.

Leave Price in at a guard position for the remainder of the year. Let him sink or swim. Same with Mikey Jordan, although I'm almost convinced he's a huge waste.

Deal Mixon and Green. Let's not allow to happen to them what the Reds did to Votto. Get some picks. Green and Mixon are luxuries this team cannot afford nor can they properly use. You don't park a Ferrari in a carport, and you don't hand the keys to some smelly balkan who runs a parking garage.

Defensively, see if there are any takers for Dunlap, Geno and Dre. Dunlap has already quit and Geno's not far behind. At least Dre plays hard. Put in Pratt as much as you can and see if he's really as bad as he seemed. Try to find a functional DeLorean to take us back in time and draft Mack Wilson.

Unleash DREW ***** SAMPLE upon this innocent, unsuspecting world.

Drink heavily. ***** here.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2019, 04:23 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Well, it is obvious the Miami plan is to put a product on the field the chances of winning are not good. Here is an article detailing the Dolphins plan. Others have tanked as well in other sports and it worked.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27699720/barnwell-dolphins-really-doing-how-tank-win

The question becomes is it a great long term strategy to build a playoff team? I hate losing, I hate worse throwing games. But, that is my emotional side. My strategic side says others have done it to rebuild more rapidly.

If we lose this week and go to 0-4 where our odds to make the playoffs go south, should we start making trades for draft picks in 2020 to needy playoff caliber teams to accumulate picks and to assure ZT starters ain 2019 are not talented enough to iwn games securing a top 3 pick? It goes against my morals, but maybe it is very smart move.

Thoughts?

Bengals awful O Line and bad defense will probably get killed by Miami when they play this season. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
The Miami Dolphins are tanking deliberately. The Cincinnati Bengals are whale poop at the bottom of the Marianas Trench. There’s no lower spot on earth.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2019, 10:17 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The Miami Dolphins are tanking deliberately.  The Cincinnati Bengals are whale poop at the bottom of the Marianas Trench.  There’s no lower spot on earth.

On the SURFACE of the Earth. This team could probably find some cracks between tectonic plates and make their way even lower.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2019, 09:10 AM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Call it "tanking" or call it a youth movement. Doesn't matter.

This team is common street trash and will lose regardless of what we call it or what philosophy to which we claim to adhere.

But what must happen to improve is going to look a lot like what people call "tanking," but it's really just a pragmatic approach.

No reason whatsoever to play Dalton. See what Finley is.

Make Ross and Boyd the focal points of the passing game. Let's find out what Ross can be.

Leave Price in at a guard position for the remainder of the year. Let him sink or swim. Same with Mikey Jordan, although I'm almost convinced he's a huge waste.

Deal Mixon and Green. Let's not allow to happen to them what the Reds did to Votto. Get some picks. Green and Mixon are luxuries this team cannot afford nor can they properly use. You don't park a Ferrari in a carport, and you don't hand the keys to some smelly balkan who runs a parking garage.

Defensively, see if there are any takers for Dunlap, Geno and Dre. Dunlap has already quit and Geno's not far behind. At least Dre plays hard. Put in Pratt as much as you can and see if he's really as bad as he seemed. Try to find a functional DeLorean to take us back in time and draft Mack Wilson.

Unleash DREW ***** SAMPLE upon this innocent, unsuspecting world.

Drink heavily. ***** here.

I laughed.

Reply/Quote
(10-01-2019, 09:01 AM)Fullrock Wrote: I remember a poster who called me out months ago when I said the ceiling for this team was 6 wins. LOL.

Same.  I said the team could finish with less than 5 wins and I was told to "get out of here" because this roster was too talented to lose that many games.  
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
At this point being 0-4 and the offensive line in shambles, I think it is time to tank this season.

Trade Andy Dalton.
Trade AJ Green.
Trade Dre Kirk (if you can)

Pile up draft picks for next season and concentrate on fixing this offensive line.
Reply/Quote
Honestly, yes. There's zero chance we get anywhere near the SB this year. So tanking would be the best thing for this team in the long run. Yeah, it'll be embarassing, but it'll be worth it for the draft picks.
[Image: Kongmoving.gif] Tiger
Reply/Quote