Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shutdown!
Looking like a shutdown may be averted.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/senate-leaders-announce-two-year-budget-pact/ar-BBINrQX?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartandhp

Quote:WASHINGTON (AP) — Senate leaders announced Wednesday they have sealed agreement on a two-year budget pact that would shower both the Pentagon and domestic programs with almost $300 billion above existing limits, giving wins to both GOP defense hawks and Democrats seeking billions for infrastructure projects and combatting opioid abuse.
The agreement is likely to be added to a stopgap spending bill that passed the House on Tuesday, aimed at averting a government shutdown Thursday at midnight. Democratic leader Chuck Schumer of New York called the Senate agreement "a genuine breakthrough."
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(02-07-2018, 04:05 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Looking like a shutdown may be averted.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/senate-leaders-announce-two-year-budget-pact/ar-BBINrQX?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartandhp

Even a dysfunctional Trump government is better than a shutdown government. I reserve the right to change my mind on that.

Bigly clapping session for the republicans so no treason here. With the majority and the white house they might manage to keep our government open. Kudos
(02-07-2018, 04:05 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Looking like a shutdown may be averted.

But does it give Trump what he is demanding?
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(02-07-2018, 03:45 PM)Benton Wrote: I'm fine with them being state ran, but the issue came after the federal government stopped funding them. Many (most?) states can't maintain some services like mental health without federal subsidies. 

Which brings up the age old debate how much government do you want vs how much you are willing to pay. These debates are best left for the state level. The problem is that people will only be taxed so much until they move.

California is trying to see how far they can tax people to do all the leftist pet projects. This is exactly where the debate should be taking place.

And I do support state ran sanitariums. As we have discussed several times. This is worth being taxed to maintain at the state level.
(02-07-2018, 05:44 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: But does it give Trump what he is demanding?

Trump supports opioid abuse support and infrastructure so it’s right In line.

Dems obviously didn’t want anything to do with another shutdown.
(02-07-2018, 05:44 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: But does it give Trump what he is demanding?

From what I understand, it was a genuine compromise by both sides.  Nobody got everything that they wanted, on either side.

It's not very often that we see bi-partisan deals.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(02-07-2018, 06:07 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Trump supports opioid abuse support and infrastructure so it’s right In line.

Dems obviously didn’t want anything to do with another shutdown.

(02-07-2018, 06:08 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: From what I understand, it was a genuine compromise by both sides.  Nobody got everything that they wanted, on either side.

It's not very often that we see bi-partisan deals.

I'm asking because didn't he make some comments about if there wasn't enough for border security he was shutting it down, or something like that?
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(02-07-2018, 06:10 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I'm asking because didn't he make some comments about if there wasn't enough for border security he was shutting it down, or something like that?

I don't know about that.  However both McConnel and Schumer are both pleased with the deal.  Or so the guy on the Spectrum news said.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(02-07-2018, 06:15 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I don't know about that.  However both McConnel and Schumer are both pleased with the deal.  Or so the guy on the Spectrum news said.

Yeah, I've seen that Congress is happy, I just hadn't heard anything out of the White House, yet. That's what I'm waiting to find out.

Sounds like the Tea Party doesn't like the spending and Pelosi doesn't like the lack of focus on DACA. The House could vote it down.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(02-07-2018, 06:19 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Yeah, I've seen that Congress is happy, I just hadn't heard anything out of the White House, yet. That's what I'm waiting to find out.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/house-senate-pursue-spending-deals-052307098.html

Quote:The White House announced its support despite huge increases for domestic programs sought by President Donald Trump's Democratic rivals.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(02-07-2018, 06:27 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Sounds like the Tea Party doesn't like the spending and Pelosi doesn't like the lack of focus on DACA. The House could vote it down.

Umm, it's Freedom Caucus!   Mellow   LOL

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
It does appear that Nancy wants to be heard:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpost/pelosi-launches-hours-long-filibuster-style-speech-in-bid-to-force-immigration-votes-in-the-house/2018/02/07/b98a25f4-0c33-11e8-8b0d-891602206fb7_story.html?utm_term=.3a4937a017b9

Quote:Pelosi (D-Calif.) began talking shortly after 10 a.m., using her right as minority leader to speak for as long as she wants. She began by saying that she would lead opposition to a broad two-year budget agreement that includes several Democratic priorities but does not address immigration — the topic that has prolonged the spending debate for several months.

“I have no intention of yielding back,” Pelosi said at 3:41 p.m. Eastern as she neared the six-hour mark of her ongoing remarks.

(02-07-2018, 08:11 PM)bfine32 Wrote: It does appear that Nancy wants to be heard:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpost/pelosi-launches-hours-long-filibuster-style-speech-in-bid-to-force-immigration-votes-in-the-house/2018/02/07/b98a25f4-0c33-11e8-8b0d-891602206fb7_story.html?utm_term=.3a4937a017b9

Yes, even members of her own party found it "riveting".   LOL

https://www.dailywire.com/news/26874/watch-democratic-rep-appears-doze-while-listening-ryan-saavedra

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(02-07-2018, 07:44 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Umm, it's Freedom Caucus!   Mellow   LOL

Also known as the people who should be directing this thing. Meadows needs to be the speaker.
(02-07-2018, 08:19 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yes, even members of her own party found it "riveting".   LOL

https://www.dailywire.com/news/26874/watch-democratic-rep-appears-doze-while-listening-ryan-saavedra

I thought the Dems learned there lesson and kudos to Schumer for understanding, unfortunately, it appears Pelosci may need a lesson on why you don't tie items that have nothing to do with the budget to the budget.

Hopefully she does realize this and was just grandstanding. 

(02-07-2018, 07:44 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Umm, it's Freedom Caucus!   Mellow   LOL

I know, but they're often opposed to freedom, so TEA Party is what I will call them. 

I'm glad they pulled immigration out of this. One of the worst things about our government is the desire to intertwine different topics into each other to force things through. Let each individual issue stand on it's own merits.
After a brief 8 hour shut down, the House passed the $300b budget increase and Trump signed it.

Rand Paul took to the floor of the Senate to call out this lack of fiscal conservatism, "When the Democrats are in power, Republicans appear to be the conservative party, but when Republicans are in power, it seems there is no conservative party. The hypocrisy hangs in the air and chokes anyone with a sense of decency or intellectual honesty."

Trump took to twitter to blame Democrats for the spending, saying that because there's not enough Republicans, Republicans had to spend money on things they don't want in order to spend more money on the military.

(02-09-2018, 11:17 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: After a brief 8 hour shut down, the House passed the $300b budget increase and Trump signed it.

Rand Paul took to the floor of the Senate to call out this lack of fiscal conservatism, "When the Democrats are in power, Republicans appear to be the conservative party, but when Republicans are in power, it seems there is no conservative party. The hypocrisy hangs in the air and chokes anyone with a sense of decency or intellectual honesty."

Trump took to twitter to blame Democrats for the spending, saying that because there's not enough Republicans, Republicans had to spend money on things they don't want in order to spend more money on the military.

The hypocrisy of Senator Paul, who voted for the tax plan that is expected to increase the deficit in significant ways, also "hangs in the air and chokes anyone with a sense of decency or intellectual honesty."