Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
So who is our #4 WR
(05-04-2021, 10:50 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I haven't forgotten about Tate's stat line of 2019, it just wasn't impressive, TBH.
Tate only put up 40 receptions on 80 targets that year when he played 647 offensive snaps, the second-most snaps among WRs.
He did just about the same as Alex Erickson, who put up 43 receptions for 529 yards on 615 offensive snaps that year.
The difference is Erickson had added value as a returner.

Well, given that was essentially his rookie season from a playing time standpoint, he at least showed some improvement in his limited opportunities in 2020.  22 targets and 14 receptions.  Including a perfect 7 targets and 7 receptions at Tennessee for 65 yards.  Plus, he is a very solid blocker as a WR.  Erickson was in his fourth year as well, as opposed to the second year for Tate, and his first year of seeing some real playing time.

I am not saying I want Tate on the field over Boyd, but when Boyd needs a spell or when they go 4 wide, I like Tate a lot better than Mike Thomas.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 11:53 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Well, given that was essentially his rookie season from a playing time standpoint, he at least showed some improvement in his limited opportunities in 2020.  22 targets and 14 receptions.  Including a perfect 7 targets and 7 receptions at Tennessee for 65 yards.  Plus, he is a very solid blocker as a WR.  Erickson was in his fourth year as well, as opposed to the second year for Tate, and his first year of seeing some real playing time.

I am not saying I want Tate on the field over Boyd, but when Boyd needs a spell or when they go 4 wide, I like Tate a lot better than Mike Thomas.  

Tate needs to be converted to TE, IMO.

I do like Tate over Thomas, but there are some WRs still available in FA I'd play over both of them.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 11:55 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Tate needs to be converted to TE, IMO.

I do like Tate over Thomas, but there are some WRs still available in FA I'd play over both of them.

He could line up in the slot like a TE, but I would not try to add weight and make him something he isn't.  I think his dedication to route nuances (working with Ocho in the offseason) and his incredible catch radius/hands makes him something worth keeping as a #4 WR. 
Reply/Quote
Do you think they could use Chris Evans and / or Pooka Williams in a hybrid WR / RB role? Both Backs are pretty decent at catching the football. I think Evans was used as a slot receiver at Michigan.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 11:57 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: He could line up in the slot like a TE, but I would not try to add weight and make him something he isn't.  I think his dedication to route nuances (working with Ocho in the offseason) and his incredible catch radius/hands makes him something worth keeping as a #4 WR. 

I didn't know Auden worked with the Ocho....that could really clean up his game. If he could get a tad more separation, he might wind up a decent option.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 01:42 PM)BacknDaDey Wrote: Do you think they could use Chris Evans and / or Pooka Williams in a hybrid WR / RB role?  Both Backs are pretty decent at catching the football.  I think Evans was used as a slot receiver at Michigan.

Evans only had 49 receptions across 42 games.
Most receptions he had in a season was 18.

Pooka had 66 receptions across just 26 games.

I think both can make the roster though if the Bengals are willing to give Erickson's vacated roster spot to Pooka and Evans can take RB4.
I'd look to use Evans as a true versatile RB whereas I'd use Pooka strictly as a slot receiver and gadget player.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 11:55 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Tate needs to be converted to TE, IMO.

can he block a DE though?
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 02:19 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: can he block a DE though?

That's why you convert him...so he can start working on it...
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 02:24 PM)ochocincos Wrote: That's why you convert him...so he can start working on it...

converting Athletic players to TE you're sounding like mike brown
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 02:25 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: converting Athletic players to TE you're sounding like mike brown

Well Tate really isn't that athletic, so...
His athletic profile matches an average TE. It's very poor for a WR.
[Image: D8qUpSNXYAUwLgP?format=png&name=small]
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 10:48 AM)bengaloo Wrote: Auden Tate or Mike Thomas at the moment, but I expect to see another solid vet brought in after June 1st cuts, so its up in the air right now.

Same, honestly when you look at it, if we took Sewell and the rest of the Draft played out like this I wouldn't of been happy.

That isn't good depth behind Tee and Boyd at all. Thank God we grabbed Chase, just hope he can stay healthy (knock on wood).
Reply/Quote
This is a very good problem to have. This year's crop of UDFAs is/was particularly strong (even if you're just talking about those still on the market). I'm also stoked about camp cuts and being able to swoop in and use our cap & roster flex to have our pick of the litter (as opposed to recent years where the shoe's been on the other foot).

So yeah, I think it's a very good problem to have. But also the very least of our concerns imo.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 02:18 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Evans only had 49 receptions across 42 games.
Most receptions he had in a season was 18.

Pooka had 66 receptions across just 26 games.

I think both can make the roster though if the Bengals are willing to give Erickson's vacated roster spot to Pooka and Evans can take RB4.
I'd look to use Evans as a true versatile RB whereas I'd use Pooka strictly as a slot receiver and gadget player.

With all due respect to the guy, you can't possibly carve out a role for Evans anytime soon. He is rusty as hell and will be trying to clear out the cobwebs at the pro level. Not ideal. He has PS written all over him... or at least he should imo.

His drop-off over the past year was not insignificant. And I'm talking beyond just #reps. He looked like he had lost some of his burst and weight- if not confidence- and I don't know what the immediate future holds for him. Yes, his 2018 game tape was awesome, but last year's player looked far more indecisive- almost as if he had lost a step. Is he just in the proverbial cocoon, learning to fly again; or is his regression just a sign of things to come? For now it's hard to tell. But I think there are a lot of questions around that pick, irrespective of his skillset and how we hope it'll translate to the pros.  
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2021, 06:04 PM)tms Wrote: This is a very good problem to have. This year's crop of UDFAs is/was particularly strong (even if you're just talking about those still on the market). I'm also stoked about camp cuts and being able to swoop in and use our cap & roster flex to have our pick of the litter (as opposed to recent years where the shoe's been on the other foot).

So yeah, I think it's a very good problem to have. But also the very least of our concerns imo.

Actually it looks like a pretty shallow class of UDFA’s
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2021, 06:29 PM)tms Wrote: With all due respect to the guy, you can't possibly carve out a role for Evans anytime soon. He is rusty as hell and will be trying to clear out the cobwebs at the pro level. Not ideal. He has PS written all over him... or at least he should imo.

His drop-off over the past year was not insignificant. And I'm talking beyond just #reps. He looked like he had lost some of his burst and weight- if not confidence- and I don't know what the immediate future holds for him. Yes, his 2018 game tape was awesome, but last year's player looked far more indecisive- almost as if he had lost a step. Is he just in the proverbial cocoon, learning to fly again; or is his regression just a sign of things to come? For now it's hard to tell. But I think there are a lot of questions around that pick, irrespective of his skillset and how we hope it'll translate to the pros.  

Wasn't his drop off due to being suspended academically for a year and then the next year the new OC at TTUN for whatever reason wouldn't play him?  That all has to do with reps.  Gotta have reps to produce.  He had to show something in the small amount of reps he did have or he showed something at his pro day for the Bengals to select him.  There is some draft analysts that think he is a steal in the 6 round.  I'm hoping he and Pooka makes it over T. Williams and Patrick.  IMO everyone who sat out this past season is probably a little rusty or regressed some.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2021, 07:03 PM)BacknDaDey Wrote: Wasn't his drop off due to being suspended academically for a year and then the next year the new OC at TTUN for whatever reason wouldn't play him?  That all has to do with reps.  Gotta have reps to produce.  He had to show something in the small amount of reps he did have or he showed something at his pro day for the Bengals to select him.  There is some draft analysts that think he is a steal in the 6 round.  I'm hoping he and Pooka makes it over T. Williams and Patrick.  IMO everyone who sat out this past season is probably a little rusty or regressed some.

For sure, it was quite possibly due to inactivity. I'm not blaming him at all. But he looked like a shell of his former self last year- even after he had a few games to shake off the rust. I just wonder.

And if he is a reflection of how players look after a year off, that doesn't bode well for quite a few people and teams. I personally don't think it's that simple in Evans' case, but I could be wrong. I know nothing. I'm just judging these guys on vapors.   
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2021, 06:52 PM)Dr.Z Wrote: Actually it looks like a pretty shallow class of UDFA’s

That's fair. I don't agree.
Reply/Quote
Auden Tate with Michael Thomas as the fifth. Why this is even a question just puts on blast how board whomever started this thread must be
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2021, 07:37 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: Auden Tate with Michael Thomas as the fifth.  Why this is even a question just puts on blast how board whomever started this thread must be

You forget about this?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/auden-tates-agent-is-unhappy-and-could-seek-a-trade/ar-BB19bvz4

Dude might get passed over with Chase being drafted, Thomas still retained, he ain't a KR/PR, new rooks/FAs getting looks.

Tate could be WR 4 but not a total lock.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 02:33 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Well Tate really isn't that athletic, so...
His athletic profile matches an average TE. It's very poor for a WR.
[Image: D8qUpSNXYAUwLgP?format=png&name=small]

Tate is a replacement level NFL WR. Keeping scrubs like Tate and Ericson does not improve the team. They offer zero upside.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote