Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sounds like business as usual in free agency
I just got done listening to Dan Horad's podcast with Lap. They were discussing free agency and both guys pointed to Duke's statement about 'not forcing it' and neither Lap or Hoard sounded very enthusiastic about free agency this year. Couple that with Hobson saying that they wouldn't go out of their 'comfort zone' in pursuing free agents, and it sounds like a repeat of the same old approach, unfortunately.

I sure as hell hope it isn't, and that once free agency gets started, they will aggressive and willing to paying a better caliber of player than usual, but it doesn't sound that way so far. Last year was one of the laziest and least inspiring free agents periods I've ever seen from this franchise and that' saying something. Having the chance to draft a potential franchise QB and having guys that can come off the books like Andy and AJ creates a great opportunity to be aggressive in free agency and attempt to make this team as competitive as possible, as soon as possible. 

If they simply use the draft and sign a couple lower tier free agents like last year, then IMO, they've decided once again to take the route which requires the least effort and willingness to do whatever it takes to win.
Reply/Quote
I'm not at all disappointed, because this is exactly what I expect.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Their comfort zones better be at least 1 very good FA O-lineman. That is literally the bare minimum they would have to do to be able to argue that they are even trying at this point.
Reply/Quote
I mean, coming off of four consecutive losing seasons, staying in their comfort zone is the best course of action. It's proven to work.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
Honestly at some point they have to admit that what there doing isn't working right? We were 2-14 last season the roster wasn't good enough and I should not have to say that for the team to improve.
Honestly this is why people think Burrow will pull a Eli.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
When Marvin first arrived the Bengals signed a few quality free agents. Not big stars, but established starters and/or decently rated players like John Thornton, Tory James, Bobbie Williams, Duane Clemmons, Nate Webster, Reggie Kelly, Kim Herring, and Kevin Hardy.

Then again in 2011, after a 12 loss season, they signed three new defensive starters (Manny Lawson, Thomas Howard, Nate Clemmons).

I am not expecting any top rated free agents, but I do expect more that the last few years.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2020, 04:01 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I just got done listening to Dan Horad's podcast with Lap. They were discussing free agency and both guys pointed to Duke's statement about 'not forcing it' and neither Lap or Hoard sounded very enthusiastic about free agency this year. Couple that with Hobson saying that they wouldn't go out of their 'comfort zone' in pursuing free agents, and it sounds like a repeat of the same old approach, unfortunately.

I sure as hell hope it isn't, and that once free agency gets started, they will aggressive and willing to paying a better caliber of player than usual, but it doesn't sound that way so far. Last year was one of the laziest and least inspiring free agents periods I've ever seen from this franchise and that' saying something. Having the chance to draft a potential franchise QB and having guys that can come off the books like Andy and AJ creates a great opportunity to be aggressive in free agency and attempt to make this team as competitive as possible, as soon as possible. 

If they simply use the draft and sign a couple lower tier free agents like last year, then IMO, they've decided once again to take route which requires the least effort and willingness to do whatever it takes to win.

Well good luck filling seats and fans buying merchandise. Sure, Burrow would do some of this but it still wouldn't be what it 
could be. Damn I wish I owned this team, not saying I would be better but I damn sure would try.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2020, 04:15 PM)fredtoast Wrote: When Marvin first arrived the Bengals signed a few quality free agents.  Not big stars, but established starters and/or decently rated players like John Thornton, Tory James, Bobbie Williams, Duane Clemmons, Nate Webster, Reggie Kelly, Kim Herring, and Kevin Hardy.

Then again in 2011, after a 12 loss season, they signed three new defensive starters (Manny Lawson, Thomas Howard, Nate Clemmons).

I am not expecting any top rated free agents, but I do expect more that the last few years.

Well that would be fine with me. But this comfort zone talk doesn't enthuse anybody.

Neither does "throw the fans a bone" talk.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2020, 04:01 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I just got done listening to Dan Horad's podcast with Lap. They were discussing free agency and both guys pointed to Duke's statement about 'not forcing it' and neither Lap or Hoard sounded very enthusiastic about free agency this year. Couple that with Hobson saying that they wouldn't go out of their 'comfort zone' in pursuing free agents, and it sounds like a repeat of the same old approach, unfortunately.

If they simply use the draft and sign a couple lower tier free agents like last year, then IMO, they've decided once again to take route which requires the least effort and willingness to do whatever it takes to win.
Or they just not spilling their plans

as they cant really say who they will presue while the league year is still in effect.
Reply/Quote
Not surprised if 30 years of not winning a single playoff game won't make them change nothing will. They hired a new coach and came up with a cute little " New Dey" slogan and thought that would fool fans. I'm not saying they have to sign guys to crazy $100 million dollar contracts on day one but we could sign good 2nd tier free agents. We signed bottom of the barrel guys last season in B.W Webb, Wynn and company. The Bengals are basically banking on every draft pick to pan out and hoping Joe Burrow is a savior. Some fans will buy tickets just from us just drafting Joe Burrow which Mike Brown would love.
Reply/Quote

My willingness to remain a Bengals fan goes down year by year. This year may very well determine whether I stick or move.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Just once I’d like them to say something like, “We know we are weak in a certain area (oline, LB) and we’ll be identifying the players that fit our scheme/team and we’re going to get them.” Be aggressive vs passive.
Reply/Quote
A lot of it isn't even how much they spend, it's who and how they spend it that's the real problem.

Here's the rub for 2020. The Bengals are sitting on roughly $50m in cap space. Subtract the draft pool which I'm guessing will come in around $9m and then the $5m they save for injuries. We're down to $36m. Franchise tag AJ for $18m. Leaves the team down to $18m. We probably want to re-sign Dennard and Billings. The team probably wants to re-sign Eifert. Other potential players that could be re-upped; Vigil, Jerry, Redmond, maybe Fej. That's all before trying to work an extension with Mixon and does not include trading Dalton or any other player. Other potential extensions would be WJIII and Lawson.

There's a lot of assumptions in there, so I could be way off. Our cap number could be higher and moving Dalton/Glenn/DreK?or whoever else could add a lot of additional money. However, if I can make their cap disappear that quickly I can guarantee The Family can make it go even quicker. As much as we need to be active and try to bring in some help and upgrades, the team has probably already mapped out how they can re-sign their own and leave little if any money for outside free agents.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2020, 04:19 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Or they just not spilling their plans

as they cant really say who they will presue while the league year is still in effect.

Spilling their beans? How about instead of talking about 'not forcing it' and 'comfort zones', they say something like 'we're going to explore all options in free agency' or 'we're willing to consider any possibility if the situation is right'? Something to that affect would at least be a little more inspiring than 'eh, we'll do what we can within our limited approach'...unless of course, they already decided that they won't be active or aggressive, in which case the downplay talk makes sense to damper expectations.
Reply/Quote
This news is expected. It's tough when I have to listen to my positive side say "but what if the FO changes this year?" I swear to god if my positive side says anything to me the rest of the day, I'm gonna punch myself in the mouth and teach me a lesson.

Reply/Quote
(01-24-2020, 05:20 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Spilling their beans? How about instead of talking about 'not forcing it' and 'comfort zones', they say something like 'we're going to explore all options in free agency' or 'we're willing to consider any possibility if the situation is right'? Something to that affect would at least be a little more inspiring than 'eh, we'll do what we can within our limited approach'...unless of course, they already decided that they won't be active or aggressive, in which case the downplay talk makes sense to damper expectations.

Well, the entire league is and always has been focused on the barf that comes out of Bunglemanagement mouths. Franchises set their off-season plans and strategies based on what we do. So we have to go dark. 

Reply/Quote
(01-24-2020, 04:48 PM)lone bengal Wrote: The Bengals are basically banking on every draft pick to pan out and hoping Joe Burrow is a savior.  Some fans will buy tickets just from us just drafting Joe Burrow which Mike Brown would love.

You nailed the problem perfectly.  I'm afraid the only offseason improvement plan for the 2020 Bengals is "draft Joe Burrow." 

That's not enough, good as Joe Burrow looks to be.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2020, 04:49 PM)ochocincos Wrote: My willingness to remain a Bengals fan goes down year by year. This year may very well determine whether I stick or move.

I have definitely fell into the apathetic category. Burrow would definitely help but if anyone could ruin him it would be the 
Stains or us with this type of speak. At least Taylor is a fun guy and wants to be a good coach, when you listen to the top 
of this org and the talking heads it brings us all back down to a 2-14 reality.

(01-24-2020, 04:56 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Just once I’d like them to say something like, “We know we are weak in a certain area (oline, LB) and we’ll be identifying the players that fit our scheme/team and we’re going to get them.” Be aggressive vs passive.

No doubt, is that too hard?

(01-24-2020, 05:03 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: A lot of it isn't even how much they spend, it's who and how they spend it that's the real problem.

Here's the rub for 2020. The Bengals are sitting on roughly $50m in cap space. Subtract the draft pool which I'm guessing will come in around $9m and then the $5m they save for injuries. We're down to $36m. Franchise tag AJ for $18m. Leaves the team down to $18m. We probably want to re-sign Dennard and Billings. The team probably wants to re-sign Eifert. Other potential players that could be re-upped; Vigil, Jerry, Redmond, maybe Fej. That's all before trying to work an extension with Mixon and does not include trading Dalton or any other player. Other potential extensions would be WJIII and Lawson.

There's a lot of assumptions in there, so I could be way off. Our cap number could be higher and moving Dalton/Glenn/DreK?or whoever else could add a lot of additional money. However, if I can make their cap disappear that quickly I can guarantee The Family can make it go even quicker. As much as we need to be active and try to bring in some help and upgrades, the team has probably already mapped out how they can re-sign their own and leave little if any money for outside free agents.

Simple, trade Dalton, don't tag AJ, let Glenn's salary go...

That is like 40 mil or more to spend right there.

(01-24-2020, 05:24 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: This news is expected. It's tough when I have to listen to my positive side say "but what if the FO changes this year?" I swear to god if my positive side says anything to me the rest of the day, I'm gonna punch myself in the mouth and teach me a lesson.

Hilarious 

(01-24-2020, 05:34 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: You nailed the problem perfectly.  I'm afraid the only offseason improvement plan for the 2020 Bengals is "draft Joe Burrow." 

That's not enough, good as Joe Burrow looks to be.

True, I truly believe Burrow could be the next great QB, but it won't matter if they don't put players around him to
help him succeed. He needs a decent OL and some weapons especially if we move on from AJ which I think we should
if he doesn't sign a contract that is extremely incentive laden.

The Draft isn't going to cut it as we have all seen over the years with all these shitty picks that have been made.
Reply/Quote
If they draft Burrow and the rumors about some teams offering several 1st round picks for the #1OA are true they better do something to make the Burrow pick worth it. As we all know even if Burrow is the real deal, the next great QB, he will still need a better team around him. So they better be willing to do something in FA on both sides of the ball. Otherwise they are just buying more time to fill the seats via the Burrow signing and hoping for the best via the rest of the draft.

The problem I see with the Bengals and FA is it probably will cost them more coming off a 2-14 season to sign quality FAs as opposed to a team that is more of a contender. The Bengals are not actually known as a destination team for free agents for many reasons given their history and recent track record. Let's hope things change come March. I'm not expecting the Bengals to land any top free agent linebackers or offensive linemen but even some mid range FA players that are better than what the Bengals have would be a good start.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
Can someone explain to me the significance/meaning of "Pick #10a?"

I know we're talking about the overall #1, I just don't understand why the extra letters and numbers. Make brain hurty.

Reply/Quote