Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Stand Your Ground Law
As I have mentioned in the past I'm a lot more left-leaning when it comes to gun laws, but this one has me asking myself questions:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/florida-gunman-not-charged-killing-151300042.html

Quote:A woman who watched as a man shot and killed her boyfriend in a Florida parking lot, has claimed the shooter “wanted someone to be angry at”, after police said they would not be charging him with any crime as a result of the state’s controversial self defence laws.

Pinellas County Sheriff Bob Gualtieri announced he did not intend to charge 47-year-old Michael Drejka, who is white, over the shooting death of 28-year-old Markeis McGlockton, who is black. Mr Drejka shot and killed Mr McGlockton last week in a parking area outside a convenience store in Clearwater, 25 miles west of Tampa.

It appears Drejka started "questioning" a woman with 2 kids in her car why she was parked in a handicapped spot. McGlockton sees this, runs outside, and physically attacks Drejka. Drejka pulls gun and fatally shoots Mc.

It appears Dre was within his rights to carry the weapon and defend himself; however, something just doesn't sit right with me on this one. If a dude is in the parking lot harassing my wife and kids, I too, might "announce my presence with authority."

I will say shame on the the publication that ok'd the story to find it relevant to point to the men's race; as I see it plays no bearing on the situation
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Was just reading about this. Sad story.

Personally, I feel like some sort of charge would've been warranted as the "victim" started an argument and the "perpetrator" was apparently confronting him about it. This, to me, is giving a pass to people who want to just be belligerent assholes without fear of repercussions. I think I'm mature enough now not to confront someone over their perceived bad parking job, but when I was younger there were times I asked myself "Do I really feel like maybe getting in a fight for speaking my mind?" Sometimes that answer was enough for me to go on about my day.
The shooter is a coward, simple as that. A witness went inside and told the owner that a man was harassing a woman outside, which prompted the victim to run outside and step in. If you harass a young women, it's reasonable to believe her partner will try to defend her.

This is just a small man who thinks he is big because he has a gun.

Another man has stated that the man has a history of arguing with people outside of that store, including one encounter in which he called the man some slurs and threatened to kill him over parking in a handicap spot.

Even the National Review thinks this is bs

https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/07/mcglockton-shooting-gun-owners-outraged/
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

I’ve always thought those handicap parking nazis were a little nuts. I’ve never parked in one, but some of these people are crazy. Exhibit 1.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

A 'stand your ground' law should not cover ones like this guy that instigates a situation. If he was so concerned about someone parking in a handicap spot that no one probably ever uses, he should call the police and let them handle it. By even talking to that person in the car, he is instigating a situation that there was no need for.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Didnt read the story. Was the person doing the shooting in legit fear of personal harm?
(07-23-2018, 07:53 PM)Millhouse Wrote: A 'stand your ground' law should not cover ones like this guy that instigates a situation. If he was so concerned about someone parking in a handicap spot that no one probably ever uses, he should call the police and let them handle it. By even talking to that person in the car, he is instigating a situation that there was no need for.

I disagree. 

Being a dick and running your mouth is one thing. And there are already a few too many Permit Pattys out there. Sometimes being a sane individual and calling someone out for being a shithead makes said shithead knock it off.

If you call someone out for being an asshole and then get attacked... Not gonna be mad at you for defending yourself
(07-23-2018, 07:57 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Didnt read the story. Was the person doing the shooting in legit fear of personal harm?

The guy shoves him, and he fell to the ground. The guy stood there for a second then backed up as the ***** on the ground pulled a gun. Then he shoots the dude.

It would be one thing if he started stomping the guy after shoving him (even then, watch how you talk to people), but he didn't.

It's like Pat said... That man is a coward.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
(07-23-2018, 08:04 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I disagree. 

Being a dick and running your mouth is one thing. And there are already a few too many Permit Pattys out there. Sometimes being a sane individual and calling someone out for being a shithead makes said shithead knock it off.

If you call someone out for being an asshole and then get attacked... Not gonna be mad at you for defending yourself

The problem with their law on this, is where should the line be drawn to defend oneself using a gun, as this is the exact same law used to get whats his name  acquitted for shooting Trayvon Martin back in 2012.

Now I do agree with what you said too, but when an asshole is being an asshole, and then uses his gun to defend himself, I dont agree.

Mill house and Nati I think you agree. I think Nati misunderstood.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(07-23-2018, 08:14 PM)Millhouse Wrote: as this is the exact same law used to get whats his name  acquitted for shooting Trayvon Martin back in 2012.

Technically it's not. He didn't invoke this law, he argued generic self defense. 

However, what really got Shitbag Zimmerman acquitted was the DA overcharging him.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(07-23-2018, 07:57 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Didnt read the story. Was the person doing the shooting in legit fear of personal harm?

Legit as to meet the requirement to be covered by the stand your ground deal? Probably.

Legit as to a meet the requirement of common sense? Probably not.

I get the premise behind stand your ground laws. People shouldn't be afraid to defend themselves if they are in a situation that they cannot deescalate and are in a real and present danger. But this isn't one. The guy started shit he shouldn't have started and got knocked on his ass like the chump that he is. The man that pushed didn't jump on top of him, he was clearly done, and the guy sits up and kills him.

Stuff is messed up.
(07-23-2018, 08:29 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Technically it's not. He didn't invoke this law, he argued generic self defense. 

However, what really got Shitbag Zimmerman acquitted was the DA overcharging him.

I could never say for sure whether he was guilty or not, but he, seemingly on purpose, made sure we all knew he was a giant dbag.

All this could have been solved if they just had a handicapped sticker.
(07-23-2018, 08:29 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Technically it's not. He didn't invoke this law, he argued generic self defense. 

True this wasn't invoked because they argued basic self defense. But the SYG laws did play a part in the jury's deliberation (based on what I was reading about it earlier).

(07-23-2018, 09:30 PM)Beaker Wrote: All this could have been solved if they just had a handicapped sticker.

Or if the self appointed meter maid learned how to throw a punch... Or even mind his own business.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
(07-23-2018, 09:30 PM)Beaker Wrote: All this could have been solved if they just had a handicapped sticker.

It's really the only part of the episode that's a sticking point in my book. The female driver stated she did nothing wrong and told dude she could park wherever she wanted; that's not true. 

Did she deserve to be harassed by thimbledick for doing so? No. 

Did she do something wrong? Yes. 

[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(07-23-2018, 06:50 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I will say shame on the the publication that ok'd the story to find it relevant to point to the men's race; as I see it plays no bearing on the situation

Here are some new studies I'll admit I haven't fully read or vetted that present evidence that the race of the subjects in these situations has an effect on how things play out.  
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0144818818301194

http://www.apa.org/pubs/journals/releases/psp-pspi0000092.pdf

I also recall from my BA days (2003 or so, or maybe this was in grad school around 2005?) learning about a social psychology case where people of both races were flashed armed and unarmed pictures of both white and black males and given a limited time to select "shoot" or "not shoot."  In the case of black males participants of both races were quicker to "shoot" armed blacks, but also slower to "not shoot" unarmed blacks.  

I would love to say that race plays no role in how we perceive threat levels, but I just haven't seen enough to change my mind as of yet.
Wow that is just shitty.

Watched the video.

Thats why i do my best to not get in physical altercations anymore.

Lot of chicken shits and morons with weapons.

That is why people carry a gun though.. As far as self defense being down on the ground after someone pushed you down and another getting out of the car is a bad place to be...
(07-23-2018, 11:50 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Wow that is just shitty.

Watched the video.

Thats why i do my best to not get in physical altercations anymore.

Lot of chicken shits and morons with weapons.

That is why people carry a gun though.. As far as self defense being down on the ground after someone pushed you down and another getting out of the car is a bad place to be...

Yeah, I think our jingoistic culture may have confused people as to what is "offense' and what is "defense."  This guy had enough confidence in the situation to start an argument, but as soon as he got pushed he felt his life was in danger to the point where lethal force was necessary.  If you think getting in a fist fight is a life-threatening situation, I would hope that you don't go around doing things that could easily lead to fist fights.

It just seems to me like some folks have a dangerous combination involving the willingness to start something coupled with a hair-trigger when it comes to feeling like they are in a situation so dire that they have to kill someone.  I wasn't in this situation, but if my life flashed before my eyes every time someone put his hands on me I'd try extra hard to mind my own business. Also, the best way to get in a fight with a man is to go after his woman...this is simple stuff.