Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Stand Your Ground Law
(07-24-2018, 09:40 AM)GMDino Wrote: No outrage.  Just commenting on the unnecessary blame being put on the victims.  I think it's stupid.  You don't. 

"The shooter was wrong...but...."

Is looking to shift some blame to the victim for, uh, I guess being in the wrong place and having his gf get yelled at by the guy?  I dunno.

Michael's example is better.  Teaching someone to avoid a dangerous situation like walking into traffic.  This one about the victim just makes no sense.  "Don't talk to anyone every because they might be unhinged and shoot you for no reason".  lol.  Okay,

"outrage"

Deliberate attempt to mischaracterize arguments being made, check.  Dino playbook 101.  Odd that this thread was quite congenial and there was a lot of agreement on the topic until a certain person made their first post.  Things that make you go Hmm
(07-24-2018, 09:57 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Deliberate attempt to mischaracterize arguments being made, check.  Dino playbook 101.  Odd that this thread was quite congenial and there was a lot of agreement on the topic until a certain person made their first post.  Things that make you go Hmm

I know.  You can't seem to let me post without arguing that I am wrong and you are right.   Smirk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(07-24-2018, 09:10 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Literally no one is doing this.  All the adults in this thread have said the shooter was wrong and the events are a tragedy.  Don't let that stand in the way of your being professionally outraged though.

Every mature adult reading this thread understands no one was shifting blame on the woman; it's just dude was seeing a thread were everyone was in agreement and he could not stand it any longer.

I mentioned the female's actions to illustrate that although thimbledick with the gun is to blame for this altercation IMO, sometimes the innocent can do things to de-escalate the situation. I'll bet if she or her baby daddy had it to do all over again their actions would be somewhat different. 

Perhaps the lady would say: "You are correct sir and I am sorry; however, there are no other spots and we'll only be a minute."

Perhaps baby daddy would have come outside and engaged in conversation.

This in no way absolves thimbledick and I hope the prosecutors see it differently that than sheriff did.   

[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(07-24-2018, 11:37 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Every mature adult reading this thread understands no one was shifting blame on the woman; it's just dude was seeing a thread were everyone was in agreement and he could not stand it any longer.

I mentioned the female's actions to illustrate that although thimbledick with the gun is to blame for this altercation IMO, sometimes the innocent can do things to de-escalate the situation. I'll bet if she or her baby daddy had it to do all over again their actions would be somewhat different. 

Perhaps the lady would say: "You are correct sir and I am sorry; however, there are no other spots and we'll only be a minute."

This in no way absolves thimbledick and I hope the prosecutors see it differently that than sheriff did.   

"Totally the shooters fault!!!  But...."

Dude you're funny.
(07-24-2018, 11:37 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Every mature adult reading this thread understands no one was shifting blame on the woman; it's just dude was seeing a thread were everyone was in agreement and he could not stand it any longer.

I'm sure the dead guy also wishes he would have had a gun of his own, too.  There are many lessons we can learn from this cautionary tale.  The main thing I take away from it is that inconsiderate parking can lead to your death and it isn't particularly surprising.  
(07-24-2018, 11:53 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm sure the dead guy also wishes he would have had a gun of his own, too.  There are many lessons we can learn from this cautionary tale.  The main thing I take away from it is that inconsiderate parking can lead to your death and it isn't particularly surprising.  

No doubt there are many lessons to be gleaned from this and there are a great many things that can lead to one's death. Hopefully, the cautionary tale is that sometimes you as a victim can take action to de-escalate a situation while not being at all responsible for the situation. Unfortunately, this is a concept that eludes some. 

(07-24-2018, 11:48 AM)GMDino Wrote: "Totally the shooters fault!!!  But...."

Dude you're funny.

He's not wrong.
(07-24-2018, 12:00 PM)bfine32 Wrote: No doubt there are many lessons to be gleaned from this and there are a great many things that can lead to one's death. Hopefully, the cautionary tale is that sometimes you as a victim can take action to de-escalate a situation while not being at all responsible for the situation. Unfortunately, this is a concept that eludes some. 

I bet you those same people criticize others for locking their doors at night. 
(07-24-2018, 12:00 PM)bfine32 Wrote: No doubt there are many lessons to be gleaned from this and there are a great many things that can lead to one's death. Hopefully, the cautionary tale is that sometimes you as a victim can take action to de-escalate a situation while not being at all responsible for the situation. Unfortunately, this is a concept that eludes some. 

I'd say an even better skill is the ability to walk away, regardless.  My personal mantra is that self confidence is shown by being able to walk away from a fight even when it means letting the other guy believe he is awesome and he won.  I realize that this skill that isn't particularly valued nor shown in a positive light in our culture.

Fun story, I have a buddy who is a black belt and he told a story where one of the football players was drunk and was challenging him to a fight, which my friend declined.  Years later the guy thanked my friend for not giving him the ass kicking he deserved.
(07-24-2018, 11:48 AM)GMDino Wrote: "Totally the shooters fault!!!  But...."

Dude you're funny.

The baby daddy was wrong for shoving the shooter to the ground. And for parking in a handicapped spot. So there is blame on both sides.
(07-24-2018, 12:39 PM)Beaker Wrote: The baby daddy was wrong for shoving the shooter to the ground. And for parking in a handicapped spot. So there is blame on both sides.

Clearly not finding a way to blame the victim.  

SSF and bfine were right.  

Ninja
Is there really a need to trivialize the guy by calling him "baby daddy"? The guy was a father and shot for trying to defend someone. Seems a little tacky.
(07-24-2018, 12:41 PM)GMDino Wrote: Clearly not finding a way to blame the victim.  

SSF and bfine were right.  

Ninja

Saying they were wrong for being phyiscally violent and parking illegally does not mean that they deserved to be shot. You realize that, right? I mean, you're smart enough to understand that, but then you post things like this and it makes me wonder.
(07-24-2018, 01:59 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Saying they were wrong for being phyiscally violent and parking illegally does not mean that they deserved to be shot. You realize that, right? I mean, you're smart enough to understand that, but then you post things like this and it makes me wonder.

I understand it means they didn't deserve to be shot.

I also understand that the post is meant to suggest the victim should have/could have done more to not get shot.  That's blaming the victim.
(07-24-2018, 02:11 PM)GMDino Wrote: I also understand that the post is meant to suggest the victim should have/could have done more to not get shot.  

No, it's to suggest that the victim had his faults, even if he didn't deserve to get shot. 

(07-24-2018, 02:11 PM)GMDino Wrote: That's blaming the victim.

No, it's not. 
(07-24-2018, 12:43 PM)Benton Wrote: Is there really a need to trivialize the guy by calling him "baby daddy"? The guy was a father and shot for trying to defend someone. Seems a little tacky.

No attempt at trivialization. Simply a term used for the father of a child of a mother to which he is not married. I suppose tackiness is in the ear of the beholder.

(07-24-2018, 04:30 PM)bfine32 Wrote: No attempt at trivialization. Simply a term used for the father of a child of a mother to which he is not married. I suppose tackiness is in the ear of the beholder.

I thought that term referred to a man that the mother was no longer involved with, that is a "baby daddy" is less than a "boyfriend".
(07-24-2018, 04:52 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I thought that term referred to a man that the mother was no longer involved with, that is a "baby daddy" is less than a "boyfriend".

I believe you are right.  I always thought it referred to any unwed father, but urban dictionary has it as no longer involved.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(07-24-2018, 04:52 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I thought that term referred to a man that the mother was no longer involved with, that is a "baby daddy" is less than a "boyfriend".

I call that a deadbeat dad. I refer to a baby mommy as the mother of your child if not married? Is that incorrect?

(07-24-2018, 05:01 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I call that a deadbeat dad. I refer to a baby mommy as the mother of your child if not married? Is that incorrect?

I am not sure.  I don't use the term.  But I thought the reason the term exists was to differentiate between a "girlfriend" and a "baby momma".